• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

theWB27

The smaller ones move ever so slightly in place.

LuEmOoQ.jpg

I am really curious how the multiplayer is going to work. If I build a base on a planet and then somebody else later visits that planet, would my base be there in their session? Or is it just simply running around on a planet with people and talking while NPC positions and changes remain on your own game?

Waiting to purchase this game was the best decision ever. It is so damn epic now. Imma wait a little longer but damn, it looks really great. Props to the team for just getting to work and making the game what they intended to be.

Have Hello Games mentioned anything about a sale of the PC version of the game? I'd love to pick it up now after the new update but 60$ is too much for a year old game.

paulogy

I am really curious how the multiplayer is going to work. If I build a base on a planet and then somebody else later visits that planet, would my base be there in their session? Or is it just simply running around on a planet with people and talking while NPC positions and changes remain on your own game?

This is a really good question. Since you can already build bases that others can visit, it suggests a base that's being built in progress they'd both be able to see live... ?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Jesus did they change a ton. They might as well have said this was a re-release.

2 questions, im on Steam.

Can i disable the depth of field effect in convos?

And how do i change the temperature reading from C to F? Patch notes said i could.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
anyone wanting to jump in on PC then green man gaming is doing a 60% sale right now! £16 for me so i'm jumping in now!

Jesus did they change a ton. They might as well have said this was a re-release.

2 questions, im on Steam.

Can i disable the depth of field effect in convos?

And how do i change the temperature reading from C to F? Patch notes said i could.

Temperature is based on location, sorry if you're in the US your stuck with Fahrenheit.

MattAces

This is a really good question. Since you can already build bases that others can visit, it suggests a base that's being built in progress they'd both be able to see live... ?

I kinda of missed the whole 1.2 update, but how does base sharing work?
I'm on PS4 but I notice PC version has Steam workshop integration, what's the difference?

PaulLFC

anyone wanting to jump in on PC then green man gaming is doing a 60% sale right now! £16 for me so i'm jumping in now!
Same price at Humble Store, may work out better for anyone who has wallet credit or is a Humble Monthly subscriber (£14.39 when taking off the 10% discount).

MADGAME

Anyone used the new ship communicator yet to hail pirates before they attack?

Any screens of max FoV on PS4?

Oooof- I started a new game on PS4 Pro and my game is running pretty bad. Had the FOV set to 90, so I turned it back to 75 and it's still the same.

Playing it at the 4K mode and locked to 30fps.

It's chugging like never before :(

Had no issues pre-patch

Yeah the framerate is awful now. Turn on a torch on and it gets worse

joeblow

Someone mentioned the game allows up to 1800P resolution on the PS4 Pro. Does it downsample from that rez on HD displays?

Kalor

Anyone used the new ship communicator yet to hail pirates before they attack?

Any screens of max FoV on PS4?

I tried it once. It gives you the option to bribe pirates so they don't attack you. There might be more to it in other encounters but otherwise it doesn't seem to do much.

So what are my options now to experience NMS with friends? Can we set up on a planet by teleporting there and build bases / farms? What's the deal with guilds?

Based on rough location. I'm in Canada and I'm being subjected to this fahrenheit gibberish.

It's a minor nitpick, but I think it's stupid to use Fahrenheit, and I'm from the USA and get confused as hell by Celsius. This game is for sci-fi nerds. In sci-fi, the temperatures are always Celsius, because that's what science uses. I mean, I guess they could go with Kelvin, or make up their own temperature scale. But not Fahrenheit... Fahrenheit is for intellectually incurious Americans, not roving space nomads.

paulogy

From that twitch stream: "There is already a Monument in this system"

So looks like folks will have to elope before they can immortalize their union :)

The Ummah

Banned
I just wanna go home and play! Reading this thread at work is getting me so excited to jump back in. Thank you all for the impressions.

To everybody else at work, hang in there!

Roussow

So I jumped back in at one of the major updates, decided to wipe my progress and start over, didn't make it far. I'm going to do the same thing again for this update, hopefully stick with it.

Now I imagine the loop is going to be drastically different, considering that now I know going for the center doesn't really mean anything. Should I just pick a System / planet I like early on and declare it my permenent base? Will I be able to make it back easily if I keep exploring?

MADGAME

I tried it once. It gives you the option to bribe pirates so they don't attack you. There might be more to it in other encounters but otherwise it doesn't seem to do much.
Thanks for the info! I don't negotiate with pirates :)

Saiyan-Rox

It's a 6700 (your skylake)

Anyway: Ingame vsync seems to be the culprit for my bad performance. Set the game to borderless instead of fullscreen, unlock the ingame framerate (no cap) and deactivate vsync. Then lock the framerate with RTSS (or whatever else works for you) to 60 (or your monitor refresh rate). Performance improved significantly for me this way and I'm not able to hit 1440p/60/max settings. Where before I had weird stutters and drops down to 45ish fps.

Tried that (used the Nvidia controls to lock Vsync) still only getting 37fps max on planets and 60 in space :O

EDIT: for the life of me I can't find Heridium anymore

sugarless

It's a minor nitpick, but I think it's stupid to use Fahrenheit, and I'm from the USA and get confused as hell by Celsius. This game is for sci-fi nerds. In sci-fi, the temperatures are always Celsius, because that's what science uses. I mean, I guess they could go with Kelvin, or make up their own temperature scale. But not Fahrenheit... Fahrenheit is for intellectually incurious Americans, not roving space nomads.

OK I'm British and I have to step in and defend Fahrenheit's honour a little. I usually use Celsius and it's very logical, but the fact is Fahrenheit is a very human-centric scale that makes sense for daily life in a lot of ways. That's why the British papers always use it when they need an impressively high-sounding number for a heatwave on the front page (then use Celsius for a negative number in a...coldwave.)

However cups and pounds and whatnot can go to hell. And yes, Celsius absolutely makes sense for a sci-fi odyssey like No Man's Sky.

noomi

Hey does the PC version still have that terribly aweful mouse sensitivity going on.

I remember setting the game mouse sens to max and it was still slow as shit. I guess I could use your on the fly DPI on my mouse... but just curious about it.

Just a reminder there's no multiplayer on GoG.

And thank God for that. I got the "solitary adventurer exploring a vast and uncaring universe" simulator specifically to avoid other people. Do you have an option on Steam / PS4 to NOT see other people if you happen to end up in the same system? Because that would annoy me to no end.

woah, realllly strange issue on PC version. Just booted it up and planets in space and their clouds have REALLY low res texutres, and looking at them cuts my FPS in half....

also, I got really close to a freighter that i do not own during a space battle, and a giant green hologram of it spawned right on top of me and i can't see shit now lol. Looks like the effect from when you try to call in your freighter, except it's attached to my ship lol

mario_O

The game ran better before with my 980Ti at 1080p. I haven't touched it since last December though. Not sure if this is normal now. I'm getting many slowdowns. It goes down to the 40's. Tried lowering down some settings: shadows, AA. But I still get some frame drops here and there. I have to try to turn off ambient occlusion, maybe that's the culprit.

Top Bottom