• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

And thank God for that. I got the "solitary adventurer exploring a vast and uncaring universe" simulator specifically to avoid other people. Do you have an option on Steam / PS4 to NOT see other people if you happen to end up in the same system? Because that would annoy me to no end.

The odds of being in the same spot on the same planet in the same system at the exact same time as another player are so absolutely miniscule it will never happen unless you actively try to do so, and even then the distance you'd have to cover would make it nigh impossible unless you get really lucky

bedlamite

NMS is on pretty massive discount on PC and PS4, the Humble Bundle site is selling a Steam copy for 60% off and that same discount's also found on the PS4 store. Just bought it for my Pro, downloading now

AHHH this update looks incredible. After following the ARG for 2 months I was sure I was going to get let down. This has exceeded my expectations on every level... and it just so happens to land while I'm out of town on vacation D:

If anyone wants to take advantage of the Humble Monthly discount for this game but doesn't want to subscribe, feel free to PM me! I'd be happy to help out :)

Listonosh

I hope everyone enjoys the update and I'm glad they're adding features but these patch notes still don't put them anywhere near the type of game that was described and hyped pre release. I hope everyone enjoys the game but let's not forget history

Edgelord over here.

I mean, given this and the previous two updates, It's somewhat shocking HG was hard at work making these despite the critical backlash. The game has already changed so much since it released, and this latest update includes a lot of what people have wanted and been asking for. I'm not sure that any future update will give you satisfaction, if what was released thus far haven't.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;245920218 said:
People that continued their save, do you feel lost with anything at all, or see a benefit to starting over?

Honestly i just started over, and i had 23 mil in the bank with a base. So much shit got changed and even the text for the intro sequences is different. The update definitely regenerated some terrain stuff too and i was finding waypoints i already found acted like they werent, and i was missing my base staff.

Best to just go in fresh again. For whatever reason this is one of the only games i dont mind it at all, since its all about exploration. I had 40 hours on my one save too.

GodofWine

Annnnnnd finally bought, $22 at Amazon, its up from 360th in sales to 180th in sales, this is gonna crack the top 100 again I think. (fake edit - there are only 14 left in stock so it may sell out)

belvedere

Junior Butler
Honestly i just started over, and i had 23 mil in the bank with a base. So much shit got changed and even the text for the intro sequences is different. The update definitely regenerated some terrain stuff too and i was finding waypoints i already found acted like they werent, and i was missing my base staff.

Best to just go in fresh again. For whatever reason this is one of the only games i dont mind it at all, since its all about exploration. I had 40 hours on my one save too.

Good to know.

I'll start a new normal save but will keep my permadeath save. No way I'm starting that over.

Van Bur3n

Okay, yes, that's a perfectly reasonable and mature thing to say

What? At least I'm actually expressing interest. That's a start, I'd says. Just looks like a game I'd get for cheap or wait until its free on PS+. We also have to take into consideration were it to be "free" that way I'd have to pay $10 to play it for that month because of that whole silly subscription thing.

So I'd still be paying for it. In a way. Not really. But yeah.

EDIT: Then again, I don't feel like paying $10 to play for a limited time when I just said I'd only pay $5. Yeah, I'll just wait until its $5.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Update looks and feels great. Haven't played since the first update, so I restarted my save and I'm glad that I did. I want to dig in to the story and such but I have so much else that's pulling my attention that I worry I won't. Sucks this game couldn't have gone the early access route because this could've been a killer official launch for the game.

Been playing a bit for the first time. Thought I'd go straight to Survival mode. Yeah, that didn't work out, so back to normal for me!

Couple thoughts:

*Temp is stuck C even though it should be F for me, can't find an option to change it. Not a huge deal.

*V-Sync doesn't work, even when forced on in the AMD control panel. The screen tearing is driving me up a fucking wall. There is nothing I hate more than screen tearing.

*Why do you have to walk 5 miles to find a place to save? It doesn't save in your ship? Am I missing something?

*I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm a bit overwhelmed ATM trying to get a handle on things, but it's slowly starting to click together a bit at a time.

13ruce

Banned
What mode would you guys recommend to me as a first time player? I like survival/challenge modes if they are not too tedious.

Or is normal/standard mode better for a first timer?

~Kinggi~

Banned
What mode would you guys recommend to me as a first time player? I like survival/challenge modes if they are not too tedious.

Do normal and if you want a really tough challenge, do survival. Its definitely tedious though, because surviving extreme weather and such becomes a big deal. I liked it initially but after 10 hours i just wanted to build a base.

What? At least I'm actually expressing interest. That's a start, I'd says. Just looks like a game I'd get for cheap or wait until its free on PS+. We also have to take into consideration were it to be "free" that way I'd have to pay $10 to play it for that month because of that whole silly subscription thing.

EDIT: Then again, I don't feel like paying $10 to play for a limited time when I just said I'd only pay $5. Yeah, I'll just wait until its $5.
Secondhand physical is ten bucks already dude just buy the damn thing if it looks fun to you :')

Toe-Knee

Been playing a bit for the first time. Thought I'd go straight to Survival mode. Yeah, that didn't work out, so back to normal for me!

Couple thoughts:

*Why do you have to walk 5 miles to find a place to save? It doesn't save in your ship? Am I missing something?

It saves everytime you enter /leave your ship. At least on ps4.

13ruce

Banned
Do normal and if you want a really tough challenge, do survival. Its definitely tedious though, because surviving extreme weather and such becomes a big deal. I liked it initially but after 10 hours i just wanted to build a base.

Thanks will start on normal first then.
Gonna try the game tonight.

Recall

So, in joint exploration the other people are these blue orbs thing? weird

DG8VI3CXoAAD_Sp.jpg:large

EDIT

Do you ever see what the character player is? I assumed you were already an orb or some...thing rather than a person.

I'd start with Normal just to get a feel for the mechanics. Normal becomes really, really easy after a few hours when you've found a few upgrades, so at that point, you could switch to Survival with a solid understanding of what resources you should be focused on. Basically use Normal like a tutorial level.

Now if you have any interest in building a gigantic base, Normal is preferable because getting all those resources in Survival will be an exercise in tedium. But it sounds like the gameplay loop will be more entertaining for you in Survival.

13ruce

Banned
I'd start with Normal just to get a feel for the mechanics. Normal becomes really, really easy after a few hours when you've found a few upgrades, so at that point, you could switch to Survival with a solid understanding of what resources you should be focused on. Basically use Normal like a tutorial level.

Now if you have any interest in building a gigantic base, Normal is preferable because getting all those resources in Survival will be an exercise in tedium. But it sounds like the gameplay loop will be more entertaining for you in Survival.

Thanks i will use your advice too!

ngower

I think I'm finally ready to dip into the game. Is the ~$20 used price at Gamestop the cheapest I can pick up a copy? Seems to be price variation all across the board here.

BigDug13

This game might as well be like Diablo seasonal or something in the way you play it. It seems like they alter so much stuff on each patch that it's inevitable that people's bases are messed up. New patch, make a new game save.

ParityBit

Stupid Question.

I bought the game from the store on my phone. it said it is downloading. Once that is done and installed, will it patch itself right after without me doing anything?

I am wondering what state it will be in when I get home tonight.

MattAces

Damn this game is too overwhelming now.

I'm looking for monolith to find portals, while doing main story missions finding atlas station, while doing sub missions I've activated and missions I've received from space station AND a lot of planet discovery which leads to a chain of more stuff.
Not to mention base building, vehicles and freighters.

I'm looking for monolith to find portals, while doing main story missions finding atlas station, while doing sub missions I've activated and missions I've received from space station AND a lot of planet discovery which leads to a chain of more stuff.

what don't you DO in this game

belvedere

Junior Butler

This is why I'll be starting a new normal mode save.

Yeah, new game for sure. Sounds like there is A LOT of new stuff to do

23qwerty

damn dude just say you don't actually want to play the game.
I take shits for $10

This is why I'll be starting a new normal mode save.

That's why I won't be starting a new save. All that on top of having to rebuild my exosuit, ship, multitool, base, freighter, money and resources from zero? It would take 100 hours to get back to where I am now. Hopefully the new content isn't hopelessly confusing without starting from scratch. I dismantled the majority of my base last night, and I'm glad I did seeing how people's home planets have changed with the update. But I can't bring myself to restart from nothing. All of that absurd farming loop had to be for something, dammit.

Top Bottom