• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

mokeyjoe

My entire play session today was spent on just one planet alone. I don't know how I managed to do it but I just fell in love with the planet at first sight. A mix of desert and rocky terrain full of canyons upon first landing I came across all kinds of different wild life, including these awesome looking flying fish in the air. Immediately made it my home planet.

And then I discovered all of the stupidly fast predators that seemingly roam in packs, cold weather that happens at night, and then massive heat storms that burn through my hazard protection in seconds. At least it's still pretty.

Scanned just about everything on the planet save for one last creature. It seems on every planet I go to I can find all but one fauna and its pretty annoying because I've searched high and low on this particular planet. There is no water either so where the hell could it be.

Here are some pics I took. First one was my first time landing with all of those flying fish.

Sounds a bit like my home planet. Those dry worlds are good on Survival because they're quite livable with cold protection, but they tend to have relaxed sentinels.

It also helped that after I moved in I discovered vortex cubes on the surface. Bonus!

Any tips for Survival. I deleted my old save and started on a toxic planet. Got off that, and the next beacon was on an ice planet. With almost no plutonium. Like literally, I had to reload a few times for the shit to spawn. And I had nothing to dismantle for plutonium... what is your recommendation? Also how much plutonium do the launch thrusters need for one takeoff? 1000?
Find and waypoint a Trade Station or a trade terminal POI as soon as possible on your first planet... Once you have a ship, stock up as much as you can at a space station and basically use that plutonium just to make some money so you can go back and stock up more: explore, sell faction items, go mine... Just invest that use of plutonium in being able to afford even more plutonium -- don't go use it to go explore or search for crashed ships or something. Worry about your resource stockpiles, first. Only things you probably should spend money on are inventory slots to carry more resources/loot to sell, or buying resource stockpiles. Don't worry about other stuff and you feel like you constantly-without-fail always have a full ship slot of plutonium and zinc, and at least an inventory slot of thamium9 or power recharge cells.

Sell some of your faction items like Korvax Casing, Vy'keen daggers, too. By mid/end-game you'll be swimming in them with maxed factions so take advantage of them early on to ensure your survival; you can worry about factions once you don't have to worry about constantly dying from getting stuck with plutonium on dangerous planets. Especially non-Korvax ones IMO because I think your priority should be the Korvax ones to get the weather shields because they make a huge difference. You should try turn in many of them, most if possible, but if you gotta choose between having any back-up plutonium/zinc/thamium9 reserves or turning in a couple extra geknips or vy'keen daggers, then sell 'em~

Planets can find pretty creative or unexpected ways to try kill you... my general rule is never ever leave a space station to go to a planet without at least 1 stack of each critical resource.

Don't ever land somewhere new unless you know you can fly off again immediately again; unless you have enough zinc to survive a few minutes in a storm in case you jump out your ship into a sinkhole you never saw and it forces you to find an exit far away and run around out on a nuclear storm lol; or to survive weather/sentinels while you collect materials in case you somehow did forget to fix/charge your ship. Sell whatever you have to or even try buy/sell low/high in space stations until you can afford it. Don't leave the safety of the space station and teleport travel (stations and base) until you can survive any of the risks of interplanetary flying/on the planet.

My first 50 hours or so I stuck to Space Stations and Trade Stations like a bee to honey haha. Try imagine all the bad/odd/unexpected shit that can go wrong on a new planet, make a checklist to avoid/mitigate each, and then once you've prepared items for each, then go explore :p It's kinda strict and more for Permadeath but it's a good rule of thumb to avoid losing your shit in Survival, too heheh.

Found a new bug. Whenever I am given a location for a Transmission Tower (from NPC or orbit scan), when I get closer it's actually labelled as a Shelter. I visited one of them and it looked like a Transmission Tower despite the label. But then the Crashed Ship marker disappeared as soon as I stepped outside (which is another annoying bug).

I haven't seen this thread leave the first page.

SeanMurrayMindBlown.gif
86JGLiN.jpg

I'm loving this update. While I enjoyed the game at release, I feel this update is what it should have been from the beginning.

- Now what I want is larger flora (like the giant flora mod for PC).

- Giant creatures like shown in pre-release trailers

- Earth-like planets. Planets that have deserts, forests, jungles, snow, oceans, etc....

- More interesting caves. They're all kinda the same right now. It'd be cool if there were creatures, treasures and other secrets to discover.

Overall NMS is shaping up really nicely. I'm excited to see what future updates bring!

mokeyjoe

Any tips for Survival. I deleted my old save and started on a toxic planet. Got off that, and the next beacon was on an ice planet. With almost no plutonium. Like literally, I had to reload a few times for the shit to spawn. And I had nothing to dismantle for plutonium... what is your recommendation? Also how much plutonium do the launch thrusters need for one takeoff? 1000?

You've just learned the first lesson every Survival player needs to learn - never, ever, ever, land without enough fuel to take off again. Ever. Not even if you think it's safe. :p

But to answer your question you need 200 to take off again.

I'm surprised it's so hard to find. 1.3 seems to have tons of Pu everywhere. If there's really none to be found then you'll need to find a trading post to buy some. If you can scrounge together 25 then it might be worth dropping a Signal Booster down to scan for one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just linking for the new page:

Tips and Tricks

--
Including:
1: The Quick Menu

2: The Build Menu

3: Navigation

4: Scanning and Discoveries

5: Currency

6: Common Resources

7: Space Stations

- Now what I want is larger flora (like the giant flora mod for PC).
Just starting to play around with Big Things 3.0, it is pretty darn cool I gotta say.

Also I just realized this whole since the update I've been playing with High instead of Ultra textures... *facepalm*

Some cool updated mods that I've tested myself:

Ringed Planets - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/449/?
Binary Stars - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/447/?
Clean Skies - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/444/?
Water Shader (makes ponds and lakes look like water instead of concrete) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/428/?
Quest Sound Effect Silenced - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/silence-tip-chirp-sound/
Lush Grass View Distance (fps intensive) - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/lush-grass-distance/
Pre-Atlas Binocular Background - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/old-binocular-background-for-atlas-rises/

Lamptramp

Played until an irresponsibly late time last night, and started as soon as the little one was at Kindergarten. I'm glad I've paid for a couple of relaxy days with excessive work in the last fortnight.

Quick base question again if anyone knows, it seems that my rough and ready base has the grass clipping through the floor now (except the initial room), is this a known issue from the base update or something I did wrong?
It's no biggie for me as I'll find a better world eventually where I can make a "floating" structure off the side of a cliff or something, but just wondered.

Also, great primer Hawkian.

Did they add planetary gravity? Right now I just pulse engined while aiming away from the planets horizon, but instead it kinda rubber banded me around the planet until I shot straight out.

Or maybe its because I engaged my pulse drive at a target space station and it kind autopiloted around the planet for me?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the the shoutouts Lamptramp and everybody. :)

The grass thing, I know I've seen at least one other person mention it so I wager is it just a known bug and not something you did.

I wish I did not need to work in 6 hours. ;_;
Did they add planetary gravity? Right now I just pulse engined while aiming away from the planets horizon, but instead it kinda rubber banded me around the planet until I shot straight out.

Or maybe its because I engaged my pulse drive at a target space station and it kind autopiloted around the planet for me?
most likely the latter I think, it seems to have a gentle autopilot when you pulse jump toward an icon.

Lamptramp

Yeah I figured the grass was going to be "one of those little things" probably best to build on foundations when it comes to the real thing :D

Thanks for the the shoutouts Lamptramp and everybody. :)

The grass thing, I know I've seen at least one other person mention it so I wager is it just a known bug and not something you did.

I wish I did not need to work in 6 hours. ;_;

I need work in 7 hours too, yay!

most likely the latter I think, it seems to have a gentle autopilot when you pulse jump toward an icon.

That's fun too I guess. i remember playing Vanilla NMS, that never happened and you always needed to adjust, so I'm happy they added that little autopilot. In my headcanon tho you're using the planets gravitational pull to speed you up and then propel you towards your target ;)

Another cool thing I noticed(Was this in Vanilla?) when you're trading ships, it takes into account your ships value now. Right now I could've traded my ship with 28 slots(14 slots damaged) for a merchants ship with 17 slots for free. I kept mine though, despite needing to fix the 14 slots(Which costs around 48k each ;_;).

I've gotten a good ways through the base quests but something I'm not sure of is the upgrades.

On my Rover I have Exocraft Signal Booster, then another +1 and +2 on it. Do they stack or do I just need to build +2 from now on and not make the +1?

Played until an irresponsibly late time last night, and started as soon as the little one was at Kindergarten. I'm glad I've paid for a couple of relaxy days with excessive work in the last fortnight.

Quick base question again if anyone knows, it seems that my rough and ready base has the grass clipping through the floor now (except the initial room), is this a known issue from the base update or something I did wrong?
It's no biggie for me as I'll find a better world eventually where I can make a "floating" structure off the side of a cliff or something, but just wondered.

Also, great primer Hawkian.

Grass growing in the base has always been an issue as far as I know. I bought the game just before the Foudnation patch. It happens at random and sometimes gets worse, especially as you expand your base to the outer boundary.

Bluecondor

Ummmm.... Hm. There is only one per system... not only should you be able to fly into it, you should not be able to not fly into it when you are in the blue light. It pulls you in. Is there any way you could take a screenshot of where you are at?

It finally let me in after I went to a new distant planet and returned again. Thanks for being willing to help. I appreciate it.

Bluecondor

Er, that just sounds like a really weird bug. Never heard of that before.

If you're doing that quest you can't have a hyper drive yet. You're super early in the game, I'd start over. It'll take you much less than two hours to get to that point again.

You may want to try a creative mode save just to see if you can fly in there before you delete your save (on that mode you can just get in the ship and fly up).

Edit - I'm trying to visualise what's happening. It's an opening, are you bouncing off it or something?

Ya - it was strange - I kept bouncing off the light and it wouldn't let me in to the dock. I went to a new distant planet and returned again and it finally let me in. I appreciate you being willing to help.

Bluecondor

Only one per system, so you won't be able to find another one until you can warp. Which you can't do until you get the resonator.

But you may be able to find an outpost that has a trading console somewhere on your planet. Not sure if they sell everything a space station does, but usually they do. The waypoint system's changed, so I can't recall how to find them, but someone else may know. That may be your only option if your game is bugged.

Starting over is another option. Frustrating, but it does sound like a weird bug.

Ya - it was bugged for awhile, but it finally let me in after I went to a new distant planet and then returned again.I got the resonator, so that's nice. I can progress in the game now.

mokeyjoe

Ya - it was strange - I kept bouncing off the light and it wouldn't let me in to the dock. I went to a new distant planet and returned again and it finally let me in. I appreciate you being willing to help.

No problem. I guess going far away and back again caused the station to respawn or something. Glad your game is working now.

Bluecondor

Finding a workaround isn't a good option because entering a space station is such a simple thing that his whole save could be corrupt or something... I'm trying to think if there could be anything weird that I'm not thinking of but yeah that's the first I've ever heard of this one.

Well, that's good to hear that the space stations have no issues. Maybe it was just that this particular quest was bugged or something. The space station was fine after about two hours of trying different things.

andrespi

Be careful of not moving your base. There is a game-breaking bug if you move your base before completing your base-building quests and while progressing with the Artemis questline (which requires components you find only in basebuilding questline).

So I moved my base and now the overseer npc won't talk to me; he just says I should leave him alone, even though I have yet to complete his first quest. Now because of this, I can't progress the Artemis questline, because it requires advanced components that you get later only from base-building quests.

So, I'm stuck, can't do anything. Can't even explore the galaxy otherwise I risk losing access to Artemis questline solar system, I know it stays on the teleport list, but it's too risky (because after a while it gets pushed up/away from the list if you use it too much).

Anyone that moved his base, with the same bug as me (being unable to talk/progress quests with npcs in the base), and thus unable to continue Artemis questline?

Lamptramp

Grass growing in the base has always been an issue as far as I know. I bought the game just before the Foudnation patch. It happens at random and sometimes gets worse, especially as you expand your base to the outer boundary.

Cheers milamber, now you mention it it did seem to appear not long after I'd expanded further outwards.

adburns

Anyone own this on both PS4 and PC? How does the PS4 versions compare to the PC version in terms of gfx, fidelity, performance etc?

Thanks

Anyone own this on both PS4 and PC? How does the PS4 versions compare to the PC version in terms of gfx, fidelity, performance etc?

Thanks

I own both.

PS4-
Stable, capped framerate
Decent draw distance
Better controls(its not a fast game to require twitch reactions)

PC(7 year old cpu/4 year old gpu)-
Unlocked framerate
Draw distance is meh
Controls are bad
Base building is easier
Load times are quick(initial load)
Potential to look better with proper settings/hardware
Controller support
Mod support

If yiur PC is on the older side Id easily recommend the ps4 version.
You cant go wrong with either one.

mandiller

I own both.

PS4-
Stable, capped framerate
Decent draw distance

Unlocked framerate
Draw distance is meh
Controls are bad
Base building is easier
Controller support
Mod support

And if you have the benefit of having a PS4 Pro and a 1080p screen you get 60fps. It's an unlocked fps on a 4k screen but I don't think it's stable 60fps (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've got both the PC and PS4 versions and because my CPU is on the old side (2500k) it doesn't run so great. PS4 Pro is much better.

adburns

I own both.

PS4-
Stable, capped framerate
Decent draw distance

Unlocked framerate
Draw distance is meh
Controls are bad
Base building is easier
Controller support
Mod support

Thanks.

Lamptramp

Has the update made this game on the worldbuilding level of a minecraft or stardew valley?

Couple of notes, I've put hundreds of hours into Minecraft both vanilla and modded, I've easily put 100 or so into NMS (the majority of that at launch), and I've put a decent chunk into Stardew.

I honestly don't think the games are that comparable. Minecraft's crafting is much more in depth and part of the moment to moment gameplay, and for me is about finding that awesome vista and building some amazing fortress onto/into it. While the scenery is spectacular in NMS it's much more "in passing", the base building does seem to add a little of that minecraft feel but it's not really comparable to what you can create in MC with redstone/pistons/monster mashers etc.
Likewise it's not really comparable to Stardew Valley, maybe the farming aspect in the base later in the game becomes similar but Stardew isn't in my mind at all when I think of NMS. Having said that I've not really done much with the bases/farming beyond the last 2 days worth of playing.

As Hawkian said earlier last night, the update hasn't changed the game substantially over vanilla, its still the same game, but with some new additions to help smooth out the wrinkles and make the loop more rewarding.

If you go in expecting Minecraft or Stardew in space then I think you'd be disappointed. With that said its a much better game than launch, so the update has improved things a lot.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i keep getting heavy frame rate drops. seems to be after mining and when you see the small parts flying towards you or when there is a large formation with light around it. not sure what it is but it looks like this:

22d1302c-16ab-4cfc-98a3-e5839d8aedbd.jpg._CB296039551_.jpg

is this just the way the game is or is there a specific setting i can adjust?

Growing plants is a lot of fun for some reason.

I also like that planets are fun to explore now. The environments are way more varied since 1.3. Great stuff.

Btw, aren't you supposed to be able to dock on a freighter after saving them from a raid to get a reward? Because they always stay in lockdown after I shoot the baddies. Glitch?

Trick_GSF

Banned
Just warped into a random system looking for a new home planet and found a planet that had already been discovered by someone else. First time that has happened to me, kinda cool.

Donos

When i put the game into suspend (also happens when i go into the Spotify app) it says i'm offline when i get back into it. Haven't found anything in the menue to connect again (like in MGSV). Is there a way or does it just connect again after a while?

When i put the game into suspend (also happens when i go into the Spotify app) it says i'm offline when i get back into it. Haven't found anything in the menue to connect again (like in MGSV). Is there a way or does it just connect again after a while?

Mine connected after about 30s of just idle flying (was in space when I put it on rest). Not sure of any button to hit to force it to check though.

MJBarret

Neo Member
Btw, aren't you supposed to be able to dock on a freighter after saving them from a raid to get a reward? Because they always stay in lockdown after I shoot the baddies. Glitch?

If you accidentally shoot the the freighter during combat it'll stay in high-alert mode for a while once the fight is finished, even if you didn't shoot it enough to make them overtly hostile. Go about some other business in the system and when u come back to the freighter, they should let you aboard.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the latest patch has bugged my game out. just loaded the game up and fell below the ground into invisible water. i was able to move forward but very slowly. tried the jet pack but didn't help. a lot of the planet hadn't rendered. just had to wait it out until i died. lost all my stuff now :( great.

also i lost control of my ship while in space. i was mining asteroids and my ship starting going backwards.

ParityBit

When you land a new planet, what do you guys normally do first? I was bouncing my ship around looking for stuff, but I burn fuel too fast and it is annoying.

Maybe I should just move on with the story or something for a while.

When you land a new planet, what do you guys normally do first? I was bouncing my ship around looking for stuff, but I burn fuel too fast and it is annoying.

Maybe I should just move on with the story or something for a while.

I scan when in space. I get low and then I tend to fly a bit to find an outpost or area of interest or a clear deposit of Emeril.

Unless the planet is really harsh I tend to just walk about for a bit and only go back to the ship to fly a further distance to find another outpost.

Be careful of not moving your base. There is a game-breaking bug if you move your base before completing your base-building quests and while progressing with the Artemis questline (which requires components you find only in basebuilding questline).

So I moved my base and now the overseer npc won't talk to me; he just says I should leave him alone, even though I have yet to complete his first quest. Now because of this, I can't progress the Artemis questline, because it requires advanced components that you get later only from base-building quests.

So, I'm stuck, can't do anything. Can't even explore the galaxy otherwise I risk losing access to Artemis questline solar system, I know it stays on the teleport list, but it's too risky (because after a while it gets pushed up/away from the list if you use it too much).

Anyone that moved his base, with the same bug as me (being unable to talk/progress quests with npcs in the base), and thus unable to continue Artemis questline?

Same issue with my game, my base became usable with the latest patch so had to move. Now the only volunteer at a terminal that I can interact with is the scientist. Some people resolved this by going back to their old base, but personally can't do that.
make sure you inform the devs of your issue here , the more people that explain they have the issue hopefully they will take note.

ParityBit

I scan when in space. I get low and then I tend to fly a bit to find an outpost or area of interest or a clear deposit of Emeril.

Unless the planet is really harsh I tend to just walk about for a bit and only go back to the ship to fly a further distance to find another outpost.

How do you scan from space? Is there something I need to build to do that? What does it show? I have generally built a signal module to find a drop ship but man that is slow.

dl77

Should just do it itself (unless you haven't updated to 1.31?). Failing that, try uploading a recent discovery. That should force it to connect back up.

dl77

Same here. Find a good initial landing patch and then just wander around on foot. As you're now able to call your ship to you wherever you are you can actually end up quite a distance away without then realizing you've got to do it all again on the way back!

I was cursing the other day though as I was out of Heridium and it literally took me half an hour of walking across a planet to find one column, wasn't happy about that.

Same here. Find a good initial landing patch and then just wander around on foot. As you're now able to call your ship to you wherever you are you can actually end up quite a distance away without then realizing you've got to do it all again on the way back!

I was cursing the other day though as I was out of Heridium and it literally took me half an hour of walking across a planet to find one column, wasn't happy about that.

You can build a scanner and have it search for a "resource deposit". It should find Heridium pretty consistently.

Finally got the game running stable without crashing. Had to drop my RAM down to 2666mhz from 2933mhz. To anyone else looking to run the game with a Ryzen CPU, it might be worth looking into if you have similar problems with crashing.

OuterLimits

I hope they fix the green question marks not changing when you discover a location. It gets confusing and annoying as hell sometimes when walking around an area.

I love Survival mode. Just wish Paradise planets didn't always have the crazed sentinels.

The most annoying aspect is when your stuck in a menu at a crashed ship site or monolith and suddenly you get attacked by a sentinel. That shit is ridiculous.

Top Bottom