• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

I am so glad I decided to jump in now. I held off last year after seeing the disappointing reception. Now I am experiencing it all new, and it seems like this is much closer to the game HG wanted to release.

I had my first awesome moment, stumbled across a crashed ship that was miles better than my starter. I was able to successfully repair it and take that bad boy for my own. My first ship was worth around 385k with like 12 slots, this one was worth 3,375,000k ha with like 20+ slots.

I had no idea I could find ships like that!

i had the exact same experience. And then had it happen again, to go from C class shuttle to B class hauler, so about that 2-3M mark to 8M mark (not worth that yet, since I have like 10 slots to repair yet) but it is such a cool feeling.

Then i found another two last night, one was a fighter, so less slots (no thanks) and another one was via a transmission tower and literally had one more slot, so not worth the time and effort.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New page link! there's some handy stuff in here that is easy to miss, especially for returning players.
Tips and Tricks

--
Including:
1: The Quick Menu

2: The Build Menu

3: Navigation

4: Scanning and Discoveries

5: Currency

6: Common Resources

7: Space Stations

Can you see why I want this to be home. These canyons go on for minutes flying along in my ship. Branch off and all...
Yup, gorgeous.

edit:

^Redline et al, remember you can scavenge a downed ship for resources even if you don't want to repair and take it.

Jimmy_liv

i had the exact same experience. And then had it happen again, to go from C class shuttle to B class hauler, so about that 2-3M mark to 8M mark (not worth that yet, since I have like 10 slots to repair yet) but it is such a cool feeling.

Then i found another two last night, one was a fighter, so less slots (no thanks) and another one was via a transmission tower and literally had one more slot, so not worth the time and effort.

Is there no way to work on a crashed ship bit by bit...take it to your base maybe. Whilst owning another ship?

Built one and it gave me a signal on the closest planet. It's cool in a sense....but there is nothing on this planet save for a few resources.

I'd suggest you try using the signal booster multiple times if it lets you search for Habitable Bases. Maybe try exiting and starting the game again and using the same signal booster on the planet. Also try building signal boosters on other planets in the system in hopes of maybe finding a base on the planet you want.

I haven't really tinkered with this though so I'm not sure if it'll work.

Is there no way to work on a crashed ship bit by bit...take it to your base maybe. Whilst owning another ship?

Sure is.

All you need to do is fix the launch thrusters to get it in the air.

Then you can gimp it to wherever you want. Good points made in the last 5ish pages though about having annoying warning lights constantly beeping if shields aren't repaired and without pulse engine you'll be pretty slow moving through outer space.

E: I realize maybe I misread and you're asking about owning two ships simultaneously? You can't do that...

But you could defintiely drop a beacon where the crashed one is and slowly work on it over time as you find parts? It would be marked so you could always go back to it I suppose?

You can own more if you own a freighter.

Right, sorry, should have clarified that. Just can't own two at the same time if you don't yet have a freighter.

mokeyjoe

Man I just don't think this game is for me. Had it on launch day and played a couple hours before having my save glitch out on me. Happened twice and I just gave up on the game and eventually moved on.

So I downloaded it again once this big patch hit and start a new save. It just feels like a chore to me. I really want to like it but for me, it feels the entire gameplay loop is boring as it's just farming materials. Does the added story help at all? I don't want to give up on it yet as I'm still really early into a new game.

Yes it does. The game still might not be for you, but definitely get into the story. It's really well executed and also introduces you to all the other mechanics. There's much more than mining materials now.

Jimmy_liv

Sure is.

All you need to do is fix the launch thrusters to get it in the air.

Then you can gimp it to wherever you want. Good points made in the last 5ish pages though about having annoying warning lights constantly beeping if shields aren't repaired and without pulse engine you'll be pretty slow moving through outer space.

E: I realize maybe I misread and you're asking about owning two ships simultaneously? You can't do that...

But you could defintiely drop a beacon where the crashed one is and slowly work on it over time as you find parts? It would be marked so you could always go back to it I suppose?

Thats a huge missed opportunity because it would give you something to work towards.

You cant ow two ships and you cant sell the mega mega expensive ship you already have. Poor show.

Abandon ships vanish when the game is saved - I found out much to my dismay.

Handy Fake

Thats a huge missed opportunity because it would give you something to work towards.

You cant ow two ships and you cant sell the mega mega expensive ship you already have. Poor show.

You can own more if you own a freighter.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

You can own more than one ship once you have a freighter. And you can indeed trade in the value of your old ship when buying a new one.

I think what you're asking though is if you can one a crashed ship and another ship at the same time outside of the process of just repairing the new one with your previous one parked nearby (which you can do). So that's a no.

Btw, I finished the rover series of quests. Did not realize there were diff ones. Won't spoil it for anyone but the variations are suuuuuper cool. Can totally see very practical uses for both of them as well.

This game just continues to delight with the depth and variety of stuff going on.

Kind of ridiculous needing 100% thrusters to launch.

I don't think you do? They need to be repaired 100%, but not fueled 100%, not sure if that's what you mean?

I've always kept a 500 stack of Heridium on my current ship, for when you run across a new ship. Makes it easy to fix most things up quick, because you can find iron etc nearby.

The ๖ۜBronx;246185092 said:
You should only need 25%, the amount it uses, no?

I think it's 100% on Survival. The irony of playing on the hardest mode and then complaining about the difficulty is interesting, though.

Aenima

I'm in luck! the regenerated planet where my base is on is now a lush planet with blue skies peaceful sentinels, and my base is on a flat Plateau looking out over the blue ocean:) they better not change it again!!

What is ur planet labeled?

I found that Forest, Jungle, Florishing Lush, Verdant planets can all be lush planets but they all seems to be pouring rain one too. So far the Paradise planet was the best contender, pitty it was too baren.

Sarcasm

Btw, I finished the rover series of quests. Did not realize there were diff ones. Won't spoil it for anyone but the variations are suuuuuper cool. Can totally see very practical uses for both of them as well.

This game just continues to delight with the depth and variety of stuff going on.

I don't think you do? They need to be repaired 100%, but not fueled 100%, not sure if that's what you mean?

I've always kept a 500 stack of Heridium on my current ship, for when you run across a new ship. Makes it easy to fix most things up quick, because you can find iron etc nearby.

The ๖ۜBronx;246185092 said:
You should only need 25%, the amount it uses, no?

cough play on Normal cough

Won't launch unless 100% and uses 100% of it when launched.

Though I think my save is bugged (its new though) as sometimes on launch I have to repair my scanner..again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They can refresh the universe as much as they want if it means getting more and more variety with planets. Id be over the moon of they're able to get running water.. rings... Binary/ different stars... even higher cliffs(i love where they are now) within the next year.

Im all about that proc gen.
I'm in luck! the regenerated planet where my base is on is now a lush planet with blue skies peaceful sentinels, and my base is on a flat Plateau looking out over the blue ocean:) they better not change it again!!
I can understand both....

I'd keep playing even if they fully regen everything, but I would also love it if existing discoveries could be stable at some point...

I wish my idea to only regen undiscovered systems was possible.
Won't launch unless 100% and uses 100% of it when launched.
only on Survival.
Though I think my save is bugged (its new though) as sometimes on launch I have to repair my scanner..again.
Hmm, the startship scanner is not even a component in your inventory you could need to repair. What are you referring to?

Jimmy_liv

You can own more than one ship once you have a freighter. And you can indeed trade in the value of your old ship when buying a new one.

I think what you're asking though is if you can one a crashed ship and another ship at the same time outside of the process of just repairing the new one with your previous one parked nearby (which you can do). So that's a no.

How do you do this? Ive had the same with the tools as well.

You dont seem to be able to trade them in for the cost of a new one.

OuterLimits

Can you see why I want this to be home. These canyons go on for minutes flying along in my ship. Branch off and all...

That is a cool looking planet. It looks like a barren/low atmosphere planet, and they don't have buildings on it, You unfortunately can't build bases on those either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How do you do this? Ive had the same with the tools as well.

You dont seem to be able to trade them in for the cost of a new one.
You aren't not able to do it, unless you're on your Freighter (in which case you're not trading it in but buying a second ship).

The purchase price is discounted automatically by the trade-in value of your ship anywhere else. If you're looking at a lower value ship they can even be free.

theWB27

I'd keep playing even if they fully regen everything, but I would also love it if existing discoveries could be stable at some point...

only on Survival.

Hmm, the startship scanner is not even a component in your inventory you could need to repair. What are you referring to?

Are there enough stars though ; )

I'd suggest you try using the signal booster multiple times if it lets you search for Habitable Bases. Maybe try exiting and starting the game again and using the same signal booster on the planet. Also try building signal boosters on other planets in the system in hopes of maybe finding a base on the planet you want.

I haven't really tinkered with this though so I'm not sure if it'll work.

Not bad...Ill try since I'll be here awhile.

legacyzero

Banned
Survival and Permadeath are awesome though. If they didn't have the insane Plutonium requirement, it'd just be easy to leave a planet you don't like. I can't tell you how many moments of "oh fuck oh fuck OH FUCK" as I'm freezing to death with little to no resources, moving from cave to cave. It was even HARDER before 1.3 because resource scans rarely showed Plutonium at all, unless it was large chunks of it.

I do agree that they should but it a bit though. 50% perhaps.

Razmos

Can someone please explain the cargo slots in the exosuit for me. I've bought the fucking thing 4 times and all it does is take my credits and make the drop pod unusable and my cargo slots are still showing as 0. It makes no sense.

Sarcasm

only on Survival.

The basic scanner for resources in your suit.

Kind of sucks I landed at this quest item and there is no fuel for thrusters in walking distance lol...its another frozen planet. Going to die haha especially if its like my starter where there was literally no caves and none of those giant things to mien resources. Survival is really just gambling, mainly at the beginning (especially regarding starter planet). I also though it was increased not 100% used. My last save didn't use all of the 100%.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can someone please explain the cargo slots in the exosuit for me. I've bought the fucking thing 4 times and all it does is take my credits and make the drop pod unusable and my cargo slots are still showing as 0. It makes no sense.
Bugged... sorry about the Units :/

You did it four times before seeing if it was a known issue? It's a bug, they're working on a patch.

Jimmy_liv

You aren't not able to do it, unless you're on your Freighter (in which case you're not trading it in but buying a second ship).

The purchase price is discounted automatically by the trade-in value of your ship anywhere else. If you're looking at a lower value ship they can even be free.

So in the compare screen it shows my value & the ship value.

So if mine is 1mil and the one I want is 1.2k and I only have 200k it will buy it?

Or is that price ALREADY with my ships value deducted?

Is it the same for tools?

Man I forgot how much of a grind the early game is , deleted my launch save to start fresh (bye bye 48 slotter) , finally found a crashed ship and every slot is damaged . Going to cost me millions to repair em all . Every planet in this system is a shithole as well which makes mining really hard .

So I've got a decent ship with no slots , my starting gun still , no tech upgrades , bugger all money and lots of broken pieces . Time to get out of this hellhole :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The basic scanner for resources in your suit.

Kind of sucks I landed at this quest item and there is no fuel for thrusters in walking distance lol...its another frozen planet. Going to die haha especially if its like my starter where there was literally no caves and none of those giant things to mien resources. Survival is really just gambling, mainly at the beginning (especially regarding starter planet). I also though it was increased not 100% used. My last save didn't use all of the 100%.
It has always been 100%, maybe your last save was not on Survival mode?

A basic tenet of Survival is to, once you get off the ground for the first time, literally never land without at least enough Plutonium for one more launch (200).
Jimmy_liv said:
So in the compare screen it shows my value & the ship value.

So if mine is 1mil and the one I want is 1.2k and I only have 100k it will buy it?

Or is that price ALREADY with my ships value deducted?

Is it the same for tools?
Assuming you are not on your own Freighter, the price shown is already with the trade-in value discounted.

I think it's the same for tools but I actually haven't had the option to buy them outright very often. The three new tools I've gotten have all been free from completing NPC interactions.

After 20 hours, I restarted my game now that I've learned all my noob lessons. I also skimmed over some story stuff being in too much of a rush.

My new starting world is simply unfair. First off, it started me right next to a ridiculous number of resources so it took less than 5 minutes to fix the ship. There was also a monolith about 20 feet away. Then there was a base less than 10 second flight which had both a radio tower and observatory. The radio tower led me on another 10 second flight to a crashed ship. A 35 slot crashed ship. So about 10 minutes in I am overloaded with resources and have a 35 slot ship. I fly in a random direction and find another base, where a Vykeen gives me a new 8 slot multitool with a Terrain Manipulator. There were monoliths everywhere there too.

The RNG Gods are feeling overly lenient today.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

There's no way they could do that. It would mean they would have to store everything about all discovered planets somewhere (on their servers if everyone should be able to see them in that state), and that would just be crazy amounts of data, and it would keep growing all the time. Not realistic. One of the core things about procedural generation is that nothing is stored (except for certain information like discovery status, names, terrain changes made (this is only stored locally for you), etc), all geometry and such is generated on the fly every time someone visits the planet. When the algorithms change, the generation changes for everyone.

bosseye

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere, but how do I pick up jobs/missions etc? In space stations I go to the room on the left, the space dude in the cupboard always says no work for you and my only option is to click 'leave'. Do I need to progress with the story more, I'm on the awakenings line?

Jimmy_liv

A basic tenet of Survival is to, once you get off the ground for the first time, literally never land without at least enough Plutonium for one more launch (200).

Assuming you are not on your own Freighter, the price shown is already with the trade-in value discounted.

I think it's the same for tools but I actually haven't had the option to buy them outright very often. The three new tools I've gotten have all been free from completing NPC interactions.

Nowhere does it say your getting anything for your old ship and its impossible to not already own a ship to start with. Why therfore do you deduce that your getting the ship with your value already deducted?

In fact, when I bought a new ship my old ship was listed as abandoned and just sat in the space station.
Nobody had bought it at all. I just lost its value.

Sarcasm

Well it wasn't in the normal save slot when I deleted it.

I ain't complaining about the usage really especially now since I am almost near death with no caves again for the 10th time. Not even a random gold/iridium/heridian cluster to hide in. Was thrilling the first few times but I thought jumping wouldn't net me the same adventure lol.

repaired the scanner and yeah no fuel -.- fffffffffffff

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere, but how do I pick up jobs/missions etc? In space stations I go to the room on the left, the space dude in the cupboard always says no work for you and my only option is to click 'leave'. Do I need to progress with the story more, I'm on the awakenings line?

Keep doing the Awakening quest and try to up your standing with the NPC Races. It won't take long to unlock the mission centre.

Man I forgot how much of a grind the early game is , deleted my launch save to start fresh (bye bye 48 slotter) , finally found a crashed ship and every slot is damaged . Going to cost me millions to repair em all .
That's like 5% of what the grind used to be though; searching for crashed ship after crashed ship banking on that +1 upgrade (out of +1/0/-1). Fuck everything about that. I'll take being able to find a large slot ship I like and fix it up over time any day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well that's new. I had a ton available right off the bat.

edit: Wait, my NPC standing with the Korvax was already completely maxed out and this is a Korvax system I'm in. Could be it.

milamber182 said:
Keep doing the Awakening quest and try to up your standing with the NPC Races. It won't take long to unlock the mission centre.
Does it lock once you start the Awakenings quest and need to be reopened?

Well that's new. I had a ton available right off the bat.

Does it lock once you start the Awakenings quest and need to be reopened?

It was locked at the start for about 5 hours while I did Awakening. Then I checked and it was unlocked. Not sure if it was completing that or getting a basic ranking with the NPC races that unlocked it for me. NPC ranking would make more sense.

Top Bottom