• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Farming is probably still the best. Theorycrafting based on Economies tests I've done and seeing some Farmer feedback, maybe Farmers can make up to 10-12 million an hour with a large enough farm; best numbers I've crunched for Economies, assuming a 48 slot ship, were about 5 million an hour. Both those figures are very endgame though... Especially Farming.

Economies trading though is pretty scaleable. Probably more so than mining because there's much less travel time involved so at least when you move lower volume, you spent much less time traveling to sell. Basically buy in one Economy type and sell in its ideal target market (E.g. Mining Economy Trade Items in an Manufacturing Economy). Wealth level affects quantity of items that merchants have but early on any merchant probably has enough for you.

BTW, Economies affect item prices, too, but not by much. I've seen gold hover around 220 credits in both Mining and Manufacturing Economies. Interestingly, the only time I've ever seen it about 225 was in... Alchemy Economy, I think it was. Alchemy or Processing, pretty sure it was the former.

But if you're mining and sell a lot of Gold, you can still squeak out an extra 5-10% maybe. Think the large variation I've seen in gold was a min of 211 and a max of 228 so it's still sub <10% room for improvement if you were selling low. (All the prices are pre-player sale... I've purposefully been only mining Elerium and been keeping/not selling a stack of gold so I can compare prices that haven't been lowered by player supply.)

Also, BTW, there are only 5 or 6 Economy types. There are quite a few names for the same ones... Mining, Prospecting, Ore Extraction, Minerals... Technically are all "Mining." Manufacturing, Engineering, Industrial, Construction -- all "Manufacturing." Sort of like how planet descriptions also have multiple descriptions for the same core biomes (e.g. Lifeless Moon, Airless Moon, etc of Windy Wastes, Arid Planet, Desert, etc).

Scanning back through the last few pages for stuff I missed.

Where does the game tell you what type of economy you're in?

Lamptramp

Can you see why I want this to be home. These canyons go on for minutes flying along in my ship. Branch off and all...

That is awesome, I really want something similar to have a base hanging over the edge, if possible overlooking an ocean (not of acid/lava/methane)

Until I find it...

The mix of bases/plant growing and the new missions/rep is really growing on me, having a great time and only 3 hops from starting planet.

38LD3ie.jpg

No rhyme or reason to placement, just while I unlock stuff

ParityBit

So as a new comer to the game, is it best to follow the story for a while, or go off on my own? If follow my one quest for a while, when is best to branch off?

That is awesome, I really want something similar to have a base hanging over the edge, if possible overlooking an ocean (not of acid/lava/methane)

Until I find it...

The mix of bases/plant growing and the new missions/rep is really growing on me, having a great time and only 3 hops from starting planet.

No rhyme or reason to placement, just while I unlock stuff

Gorgeous screens.

That second one, if it was where you described (on a cliff, over water) would look like Tony Stark's house from Iron Man 1

E:

latest

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So as a new comer to the game, is it best to follow the story for a while, or go off on my own? If follow my one quest for a while, when is best to branch off?
This is probably going to be a really unhelpful and unsatisfying answer, but basically to be asking this is already sorta leading yourself astray.

It's a sandbox. If you feel like you need direction, totally follow the story as far as it takes you. If you'd rather focus on something else, do so. There's no wrong answer and no win condition.

If you're enjoying yourself, you're doing it right :p

In the space station when you interact with the galactic trade console, it's on the left. You can also apparently filter by economy type on the galactic map, but it needs a tech upgrade I don't have.

Carn82

The water is still static yeah unfortunately. I hope at some point they figure out how to enable that without it killing performance. I feel like having water on different elevations, rivers, waterfalls would make the planets feel more natural in a major way.

Once you have liquids down you also increase the variety once again massively as you can have a bunch of different liquids that isn't only water or lava each of which move differently or react differently to things on contact.

It's however not an easy problem to solve. Minecraft has those slow moving water streams when you redirect it, something which wouldn't really work in a game like NMS.

Proper fluids simulations and physics is (still) a massive performance hog.. I would love to see it but I wouldn't count on it for the next few years.

Lamptramp

Gorgeous screens.

That second one, if it was where you described (on a cliff, over water) would look like Tony Stark's house from Iron Man 1

Cheers, and that would be a perfect base to build, need to get lucky with the planet and base spawn though :)

It's probably best to not think of it in those terms, (though I haven't really made much headway at all in the new story content, so unsure if there is a "better" choice). I'd just play it by ear and just go with your gut, as long as you're having fun.

bill0527

No Man's Sky post 1.3 is my game of the year.

I just bought it off Steam a few days ago and its really amazing.

You want a story - you have it.

You want to just play in a sandbox with no borders - there it is.

I feel like this is one of those very special games that I've been waiting years to play but didn't really know it.

Do you guys think there will still be much support of this game, either free updates or DLC at some point in the future?

ParityBit

This is probably going to be a really unhelpful and unsatisfying answer, but basically to be asking this is already sorta leading yourself astray.

It's a sandbox. If you feel like you need direction, totally follow the story as far as it takes you. If you'd rather focus on something else, do so. There's no wrong answer and no win condition.

If you're enjoying yourself, you're doing it right :p

It's probably best to not think of it in those terms, (though I haven't really made much headway at all in the new story content, so unsure if there is a "better" choice). I'd just play it by ear and just go with your gut, as long as you're having fun.

Hah! Okay. I just do not want to waste time doing chores and looking for stuff, etc, when it is better to move forward to a certain point and stuff opens. I'll just keep my path then! I wish I had a bigger ship, no space for my resources!

belvedere

Junior Butler
So are those new exotic ships the only S class ships now or are there still S class variants of all the other ship types too?

I've yet to come across the new exotic variant.

Would love some space combat pro tips...

I just got the weapons builder base mission to go out to space and defeat 3 sentinels. I beat the first 1, barely escaping with my life, and then second and third one showed up together, so I ran and hid in a freighter like a coward. I thought maybe they would inadvertently hit the freighter, which would blow em up, but that did not happen...

I have a B class shuttle with +27% shielding but my weapons aren't amazing...

I'd say you should upgrade your shielding so you can last longer against their weapons.

But I actually just got killed last night on that mission, so I think it's time to trade-in my C-class fighter for something more competent. I don't know if they changed the stats of the ship classes, but my C ship feels less able to hang in fights than it used to. Maybe I'm just out of practice and not used to the new flight handling and the new AI tactics yet.

Yeah you should be contacted by the captain after it's out of combat mode. If he didn't you may have accidentally hit him :<

Whaaaat. How do you know that is why? Sure it's not a bug?

I don't want to give up my ship. I don't care about the native bonuses or max distance but need to be able to hit every kind of system...

I was about to say that I was in a blue star system last night with my C-class ship, but then I remembered I teleported there using a pre-1.3 saved system. Now that I think about it, I wasn't able to select blue stars in the galaxy map in Free Mode. Though I don't really understand Free Mode now either, used to you could fly up to a star in the map and select it, but I can't seem to do that now.

legacyzero

Banned
The plutonium requirement and the harsh penalty for sprinting don't make Survival harder....just slower. It is easier for the uninitiated to get into a bad situation I suppose, but once you have a sense of how things work in the NMS universe, it's really not any different from the regular gameplay loop.

I wish they would tweak creature AI to be more aggressive instead. And make the mining laser do piss-all for damage (without upgrades), so you have to use the bolt-caster to defend yourself (with an appropriate increase in consumable usage). That way they could tie survival to resources in a way that feels challenging, rather than tedious.
It doesn't make it harder. It makes it relevant. While I agree with making it more relevant in other categories, having you grounded longer gives you a reason to keep yourself aware and accountable

Do you guys think there will still be much support of this game, either free updates or DLC at some point in the future?

To quote Sean on Twitter, "This is another step on a longer journey for us." So I think the updates will continue for quite some time, especially with the positive feedback 1.3 has been getting. Sean's plan was always to have NMS as a Minecraft-style, buy-once-update-forever kind of system. I'm sure there will be paid DLC eventually, though hopefully that will be cosmetic stuff.

Lamptramp

Hah! Okay. I just do not want to waste time doing chores and looking for stuff, etc, when it is better to move forward to a certain point and stuff opens. I'll just keep my path then! I wish I had a bigger ship, no space for my resources!

If you think you would enjoy it more with more inventory space etc, then I'd consider hanging around on the next fairly safe planet, with a system of 3/4 bodies and playing with the rep missions and making a small base to unlock stuff through the base quests, with a base of operations its a bit easier to advance out and search for high value resources and upgrades for your pack, maybe even a ship.

on the left there
https://youtu.be/IJK8kHJ-s3o?t=1012

also on the Discovery menu, and the Galaxy Map after you buy the Economy Scanner upgrade for your ship

There are a few different descriptions for each (e.g. Mining, Ore Extraction, Prospecting) but there are 8 types, and each has a 'target market' where its Trade Items will sell for higher prices. So basically, buy low/sell high. Even just selling 8 ship slots worth of Trade Items costing about 325K netted 58K profit in the few minutes to takes to teleport from one space station to another. Optimally I think I can get it up to about 3 million per 20 minutes with a big enough ship, or even (in theory at least; I cannot do this yet because I end up running into economies with crashed prices from selling too much) 9-10 million per hour if I could somehow avoid price decreases.

There's more to it though as Wealth Level and how much you sell also affect price. It makes good money optimally but once you factor in price reacting to sale supply, I'm not sure the best repeatable 'trade route' or cycle yet. E.g. invest in Warp Cells and just constantly warp to new economies; teleport between 4 different economies or 1 economy to buy from and try cycle between selling to 3. Been testing it last couple days haha still not sure which is best.

Sean's plan was always to have NMS as a Minecraft-style, buy-once-update-forever kind of system. I'm sure there will be paid DLC eventually, though hopefully that will be cosmetic stuff.

Would love it if they found a sustainable way to turn NMS into an evergreen game. It sure has the potential to be.

DrBo42

To quote Sean on Twitter, "This is another step on a longer journey for us." So I think the updates will continue for quite some time, especially with the positive feedback 1.3 has been getting. Sean's plan was always to have NMS as a Minecraft-style, buy-once-update-forever kind of system. I'm sure there will be paid DLC eventually, though hopefully that will be cosmetic stuff.
Yeah once you can see eachother I'd say let them make some money on suit skins etc. Updates should remain free.

I'd say you should upgrade your shielding so you can last longer against their weapons.

But I actually just got killed last night on that mission, so I think it's time to trade-in my C-class fighter for something more competent. I don't know if they changed the stats of the ship classes, but my C ship feels less able to hang in fights than it used to. Maybe I'm just out of practice and not used to the new flight handling and the new AI tactics yet.

Same. I feel like i'm not great at accurately shooting and I don't quite have the maneuverability to dodge. Not sure if that's because it's a hauler not intended for combat, or if it's because I'm just really bad at dogfighting.

on the left there
https://youtu.be/IJK8kHJ-s3o?t=1012

also on the Discovery menu, and the Galaxy Map after you buy the Economy Scanner upgrade for your ship

There are a few different descriptions for each (e.g. Mining, Ore Extraction, Prospecting) but there are 8 types, and each has a 'target market' where its Trade Items will sell for higher prices. So basically, buy low/sell high. Even just selling 8 ship slots worth of Trade Items costing about 325K netted 58K profit in the few minutes to takes to teleport from one space station to another. Optimally I think I can get it up to about 3 million per 20 minutes with a big enough ship, or even (in theory at least; I cannot do this yet because I end up running into economies with crashed prices from selling too much) 9-10 million per hour if I could somehow avoid price decreases.

There's more to it though as Wealth Level and how much you sell also affect price. It makes good money optimally but once you factor in price reacting to sale supply, I'm not sure the best repeatable 'trade route' or cycle yet. E.g. invest in Warp Cells and just constantly warp to new economies; teleport between 4 different economies or 1 economy to buy from and try cycle between selling to 3. Been testing it last couple days haha still not sure which is best.

In the space station when you interact with the galactic trade console, it's on the left. You can also apparently filter by economy type on the galactic map, but it needs a tech upgrade I don't have.

Thanks for the additional detail and explanations. My god is this game dense!

I feel so weird starting now and being so gushing and overwhelmingly positive about a game so many people have had (legitimate) gripes with for a year, but goddamn if I'm not loving pretty much every minute of it.

I hope so. One more patch of this size and this game will be the one that people had in mind with the initial reveal.

They need to refine some things and mix up some of the more repetitive elements. Tech facilities seem to always play out the exact same way for instance - things like that.

GodofWine

I just had a weird recollection about there being "Race Tracks" in this game now...

ARE THERE RACE TRACKS IN THIS GAME?

Edit - I found something like you can make a race track on your home planet? and others can use them if they find them? Whaaa?

Edit 2 - if so, with portals being a thing, can we start a NMS Time Trial League? (assuming I ever find a portal, Im barely 2 hours into the game)

I hope so. One more patch of this size and this game will be the one that people had in mind with the initial reveal.

They need to refine some things and mix up some of the more repetitive elements. Tech facilities seem to always play out the exact same way for instance - things like that.
At the very least, one more significant update like Foundation, Pathfinder or Atlas Rising is expected. They've stated that this is only the beginning of what they want to achieve. They said the same for Foundation at the time.

void666

Banned
I may be addicted to this game. I played no man's sky at launch for like 5 hours and never touched it again until 1.3.
I've been playing a lot and despite not enjoying some aspects of the game (inventory management uugh..) i'm having fun.

Found my first downed freighter.. jumped back in with 1.3.. been playing non stop since!

Nice!

I found my first one last night and had zero way to dig =(

I assume grenades are somewhere along this weapon base building quest? that's the whole reason I'm trying to finish that quest line; to get grenades to be able to scavenge freighters.

Acorn

Hope they fix cargo slots being unavailable on saves with 48 slots already and the guild rep system not working for old saves too.

Killing my motivation to play.

GodofWine

Yup. Added back in March.

Cool, will 'explore' this

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;246204976 said:
At the very least, one more significant update like Foundation, Pathfinder or Atlas Rising is expected. They've started that this is only the beginning of what they want to achieve. They said the same for Foundation at the time.

As long as they develop for this game, and see big increases in sales volume, they should support it for sometime. Free 'DLC/Updates' build communities, hopefully they keep going this route. Maybe once full MP support is in (and expanded content to make it worth the trouble) they can make a money grab on cosmetics.

Played like 50 hours at launch... Now i just explore in creative mode, where i obtain everything within an hour where it took me 50 hours before...

Donos

Holy shit, can't be the only dumbo who thought that the green crates only have metal junk and therefore just didn't cared about them. Huge Facepalm.

Just saw that i can remove that and that they have good stuff inside. So much crates that i have dismissed so far....

Holy shit, can't be the only dumbo who thought that the green crates only have metal junk and therefore just didn't cared about them. Huge Facepalm.

Just saw that i can remove that and that they have good stuff inside. So much crates that i have dismissed so far....
Nope. Thanks. Now I feel stupid. What do you to do access the rest of it? I was used to them just giving everything off the bat that I just assumed they'd changed what it gave to fit in with all the other new systems.

AR15mex

I really want to see some big updates on the creatures, and how good is the terrain? Does it have caves, mountains, oceans, and other cool stuff. It the climate thing a game changer or just show off? are there planets with constant storms, or constantly freezing? My copy finally arrived today, so I cant wait to play it after work!!!

rje

Hit a bug in my new game (yes I reported it), but just to warn others:

I was on the base mission where you have to bring some plutonium to your overseer, but I had just found a new habitable location so I decided to move my base there first. I couldn't talk to the overseer in my new base, and the quest still thought I needed to return to my original system. But when I returned there my base was (obviously) gone and the quest marker for talking to the overseer was out in empty space. Couldn't find an obvious way to reset or fix the quest so I just restarted, was only a few hours in so not a huge loss, but frustrating.

There also seems to be bugs around quest order and conversation trees - had a conversation I couldn't exit out of yesterday when a weapons tech wanted to go work at my base in my new game, but I hadn't started any of the base building stuff yet. There was only one option ("accept") but it was greyed out and unusable. Had to force quit and restart.

Bugs aside I'm loving the game - fun to come back to it since I hadn't played since 1.0

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;246205740 said:
Nope. Thanks. Now I feel stupid. What do you to do access the rest of it? I was used to them just giving everything off the bat that I just assumed they'd changed what it gave to fit in with all the other new systems.

So the green crates you have to remove the rust before they get unlocked

Other things, like the shipwrecked tech pods, you need to feed it minerals to disengage the lock.

What happens when you move bases? What's involved?

Obviously you find a new habitable base on a new planet, but what happens with your NPCs? Do they teleport to the new base? How?

Do the quest lines stay intact or am I risking effing something up?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Are the blueprints you buy with nanites only available through those markets?

And are the little language stones still around? Haven't seen any yet... about to construct my hyperdrive.

Bugs aside I'm loving the game - fun to come back to it since I hadn't played since 1.0
Word. I'm in the same situation, and loving it. Good to be back. I never played with the major content additions.

I really want to see some big updates on the creatures, and how good is the terrain? Does it have caves, mountains, oceans, and other cool stuff. It the climate thing a game changer or just show off? are there planets with constant storms, or constantly freezing? My copy finally arrived today, so I cant wait to play it after work!!!
Same for the creatures, I'd like to see them focus on them with the next update. Yes, the game has caves, canyons, cliffs, mountains (though don't expect too much height), oceans. The caves can be extensive and large enough to grow trees in. You can very much get lost in some of the cave systems.

There are ocean worlds with a few islands around them, moons with no atmosphere where you just stand and look straight out into space. There are freezing worlds, burning worlds, toxic worlds and more.

Hope you enjoy it. Only thing I'd say is take your time to learn everything. It may be a bit of a slower start than you want but you'll never see every planet in the game and there will always be ones untouched that no one else has ever seen. There's no rush. After that though, just go where your curiosity takes you.

So the green crates you have to remove the rust before they get unlocked

Other things, like the shipwrecked tech pods, you need to feed it minerals to disengage the lock.
Ah wow. Literally just been finding chests and just taking the rusty locks before walking off lol. Thanks for the tips, wouldn't have checked that in a long time.

Hope they fix cargo slots being unavailable on saves with 48 slots already and the guild rep system not working for old saves too.

Killing my motivation to play.

I'm in the same boat, but I decided to focus on the new story which I finished today and now on trying to make big cash by crafting Liquid Explosive (which sells for 1 mil on the market, but needs quite a bit of resources to make), and even doing some missions regardless, so I'm hoping they'll sort these things soon enough.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Anybody know if the ending for getting to the center is improved? Or is that no longer the main goal?

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;246206410 said:
Ah wow. Literally just been finding chests and just taking the rusty locks before walking off lol. Thanks for the tips, wouldn't have checked that in a long time.

Haha yup it confused me when I saw it cause its different from vanilla

You might also have to engage the crate again after you remove the rust iirc?

Smokey

Can you see why I want this to be home. These canyons go on for minutes flying along in my ship. Branch off and all...

Never ran into any planets like this when I played it closer to release, looks amazing.

Think I'm gonna hop back in, but on PC. How do the portals work in the update?

Never ran into any planets like this when I played it closer to release, looks amazing.

Think I'm gonna hop back in, but on PC. How do the portals work in the update?

From my understanding youll get a quest that leads you through activating a portal, otherwise you have to find glyphs to activate a portal? Otherwise not 100% positive as Ive just read tidbits here and there.

This might be a dumb question, but I am having trouble upgrading my exosuit. I go to the drop-pod, select one of the 3 upgrades, pay the money, and nothing happens. I paid 50K for a new slot, and nothing changed. Is there another step I have to take to install or create the upgrade? Not sure what I am doing wrong.

This might be a dumb question, but I am having trouble upgrading my exosuit. I go to the drop-pod, select one of the 3 upgrades, pay the money, and nothing happens. I paid 50K for a new slot, and nothing changed. Is there another step I have to take to install or create the upgrade? Not sure what I am doing wrong.
It's a bug, they're working on a patch.

Cargo upgrades are broken rn. General and tech slots should work. Next update hopefully fixes it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hit a bug in my new game (yes I reported it), but just to warn others:

I was on the base mission where you have to bring some plutonium to your overseer, but I had just found a new habitable location so I decided to move my base there first. I couldn't talk to the overseer in my new base, and the quest still thought I needed to return to my original system. But when I returned there my base was (obviously) gone and the quest marker for talking to the overseer was out in empty space. Couldn't find an obvious way to reset or fix the quest so I just restarted, was only a few hours in so not a huge loss, but frustrating.

There also seems to be bugs around quest order and conversation trees - had a conversation I couldn't exit out of yesterday when a weapons tech wanted to go work at my base in my new game, but I hadn't started any of the base building stuff yet. There was only one option ("accept") but it was greyed out and unusable. Had to force quit and restart.

It's stuff like this that makes me hold off on playing until they get some more fixes out. I'm scared that shit like this will fuck over my progression to the point where it cannot be saved by future patches.

I really want to play though... Might just start a new game to mess around a bit, and then wait for some fixes before I start a "real" new game.

It's stuff like this that makes me hold off on playing until they get some more fixes out. I'm scared that shit like this will fuck over my progression to the point where it cannot be saved by future patches.

I really want to play though... Might just start a new game to mess around a bit, and then wait for some fixes before I start a "real" new game.
Perhaps make a creative save and explore for a bit?

MattAces

I'm starting to get really frustrated with the lack of 1.31 update.
I need to progress the damn story but I still haven't receive this damn patch.

Feels like I'm the only one in Asia who's playing it. Can't find any info on when the patch will actually drop in my region because literally nobody is talking about it in Asia.

Top Bottom