• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Holy shit, can't be the only dumbo who thought that the green crates only have metal junk and therefore just didn't cared about them. Huge Facepalm.

Just saw that i can remove that and that they have good stuff inside. So much crates that i have dismissed so far....

Nope. I did the same thing for the first few I found. Wasn't until I did an abandoned building with the goop on the thing that I was like "oh! I can just dump junk without storing it!"

Have there been any major changes to the creatures since launch? Or is it still just the medley of derpy and nonsensical clones with slightly varied parts?

OuterLimits

The music was one of the really great aspects during the troubled release. It's cool that the music has gotten even better as well with each update. Love the music.

This game is so different than at release. The only thing that hasn't changed much since launch is the lackluster fauna. It's a constant reminder to me how different the game is in just one year. Hopefully they eventually improve that as well. Oh and better weather/clouds.

Thermed Mods designed to work together:

Starry Nebulae Sky & Colored Starfields for Galaxy Map - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/445/?
Ringed Planets - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/449/?
Binary Planets & Rotating Cloud Shader - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/447/?
True Clouds & Clean Skies (removes animated noise) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/448/?

Better Ship Seat - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/454/?
Custom Ship Monitors - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/456/?
Blue Ship HUD - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/397/?

Some cool updated mods that I've tested myself:

Ringed Planets - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/449/?
Binary Stars - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/447/?
Clean Skies - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/444/?
Water Shader (makes ponds and lakes look like water instead of concrete) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/428/?
Quest Sound Effect Silenced - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/silence-tip-chirp-sound/
Lush Grass View Distance (fps intensive) - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/lush-grass-distance/
Pre-Atlas Binocular Background - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/old-binocular-background-for-atlas-rises/

Trying to collect all these in one spot to try them out later.

Seems like the PC perf thread is dead. Not sure if the OT is still active so idk where else to have stuff like this.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing at Freighter crash sites.

Do I need the terrain modification tool? I see containers tossed about, mostly sunken into the ground where I can't interact with them.

If I do need to dig some holes to get to them I haven't come by the blueprint for that tool yet, and am also still looking for a mining laser for my ship.

Speaking of which, do I just wait until I luck upon something with those blueprints? Or is there a way I can purposefully seek those out?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gorgeous screens.

That second one, if it was where you described (on a cliff, over water) would look like Tony Stark's house from Iron Man 1

E:

latest

*remembers the events of Iron Man 3 and weeps softly*
I was about to say that I was in a blue star system last night with my C-class ship, but then I remembered I teleported there using a pre-1.3 saved system. Now that I think about it, I wasn't able to select blue stars in the galaxy map in Free Mode. Though I don't really understand Free Mode now either, used to you could fly up to a star in the map and select it, but I can't seem to do that now.
Make sure you deselect your currently selected system (Circle) even in free mode if you want to roam/fly around, otherwise it's just showing you lines to all of the nearest systems you can jump to.

The ๖ۜBronx;246211042 said:
Nothing you'd accept as being major if they originally impacted you that negatively.

Ah, that's a shame. That was my biggest complaint from a year ago, that too few of the creatures felt genuinely unusual and exciting to encounter. It seemed like 8/10 creatures were just hodgepodges with poorly rigged animations.

I'm glad the rest of the game seems to be improving, but I'd honestly rather have sandworms than co-op at this point.

JoeBoy101

The ๖ۜBronx;246209660 said:
Nope, sucks you had to lose units though. Hopefully they'll get a patch out addressing a lot of the common issues soon.

Thanks! Felt like I was taking crazy pills!

Not sure, but I think its only limited to the CARGO exo-suit slots. I've upgraded my normal suit slots just fine.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing at Freighter crash sites.

Do I need the terrain modification tool? I see containers tossed about, mostly sunken into the ground where I can't interact with them.

If I do need to dig some holes to get to them I haven't come by the blueprint for that tool yet, and am also still looking for a mining laser for my ship.

Speaking of which, do I just wait until I luck upon something with those blueprints? Or is there a way I can purposefully seek those out?

For freighters, the majority is underground and the terrain modification tool is one way. Warning though, it takes a TON of fuel to use and refill. Like, way more than any other device I've seen, but it is silly powerful.

You can also plasma grenade your way down, but its on nearly as fast.

As to the blueprints, its kinda luck of the draw. You can them occasionally as NPC rewards, but see them way more as buyable at Space Stations and as rewards for missions. I haven't seen a blueprint for the Terrain Mod yet, but the one I got was already on a new multi-tool.

Emperor_Uriel said:
Ah, that's a shame. That was my biggest complaint from a year ago, that too few of the creatures felt genuinely unusual and exciting to encounter. It seemed like 8/10 creatures were just hodgepodges with poorly rigged animations.

I'm glad the rest of the game seems to be improving, but I'd honestly rather have sandworms than co-op at this point.

Though its not a deal-breaker for me, the state of the planet environments I think is the biggest eyesore. Adding more scale to flora/fauna, and revamping the creature generation would go a long way of the final distance of meeting that E3 trailer quality. I'm hoping that refining planet biomes is part of the next push they make on the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So the green crates you have to remove the rust before they get unlocked
Yep- clear the rust, interact again. These are guaranteed to give Trade Commodities (i.e.
Vy'keen Dagger, Korvax Convergence Cube etc. )

Other things, like the shipwrecked tech pods, you need to feed it minerals to disengage the lock.
And these are very likely (guaranteed?) to give Nanite Clusters.

Actually the more I play the more I see that many aspects of the gameplay loop that previously led to acquiring random- and often duplicate- blueprints are now tuned to reward Nanite Clusters, which you can use to choose the blueprints you want... brilliant.
I feel so weird starting now and being so gushing and overwhelmingly positive about a game so many people have had (legitimate) gripes with for a year, but goddamn if I'm not loving pretty much every minute of it.
That's really cool :) I do think that while certainly still flawed, it's a game with some magic to it. When you're playing and really feel what the vision was all about for there's not much else in gaming like it.

For someone who appreciated the game more than most even at launch, this has been glorious but also not unexpected. The way Sean Murray talks about the game I can just tell it is a passion project for him and that he always intended to support and improve it for a long time. If more and more people who passed during its rocky launch start jumping in to have fun, so much the better.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What's the point of those round things you can call your ship to now that you can just do it wherever for free? Seems like they now have no purpose except for making you waste a bypass chip...?

HeeHo

Really digging survival. At first it felt a little too much with all the resource managing but it is far more interesting to play than loading up my old save.

Maybe it's just more of the fact that I'm starting a new file fresh on survival and less so the survival elements, although I do dig the challenge so far. No way am I deleting my old save. As far as I'm aware too I haven't suffered any lost data. I never started base building.

MattAces

Finally hit a game breaking bug, can't touch the normal game mode at all now, instant crash as soon as I select and load it.
The world I was in was filled with a bunch of bugged waypoints.

Now I have to restore save file from yesterday.

What's the point of those round things you can call your ship to now that you can just do it wherever for free? Seems like they now have no purpose except for making you waste a bypass chip...?

If your ship is launched from non station, it will consume thrust launcher, which requires quite a lot of plutonium to reload.

That's really cool :) I do think that while certainly still flawed, it's a game with some magic to it. When you're playing and really feel what the vision was all about for there's not much else in gaming like it.

For someone who appreciated the game more than most even at launch, this has been glorious but also not unexpected. The way Sean Murray talks about the game I can just tell it is a passion project for him and that he always intended to support and improve it for a long time. If more and more people who passed during its rocky launch start jumping in to have fun, so much the better.

I think that's been the hardest part. From the day it was announced and they started revealing details and talking about what the game was, i was internally like "and you're gonna do that with a 15 person dev team how exactly?" And I wasn't at all surprised when it launched and wasn't what it was supposed to be. It just seemed like they were biting off so much more than they could chew.

After the initial luke warm reviews i told myself I'd pick it up eventually just to have an educated opinion.

Then came Astroneer, which i absolutely adore for many of the exact same reasons as NMS. And when I finally started playing NMS, it's all the things I adore about Astroneer, but more fleshed out and deeper.

What surprised me is that Sean and team absolutely kept their heads down and kept grinding to make it the game they wanted it to be.

As more and more time passes, it seems more like a scenario where Sony said "you need to ship" and they said "we're not ready" and Sony said "you have a contract, so you're shipping." No single party is to blame in that scenario; HG should have probably been more realistic and Sony should have probably been more flexible.

But either way, I keep coming back to the fact that they could've taken the money and run (and probably retired, based on sales and a smallish dev team) but instead they kept taking flack for the last year and put their heads down, ignored the negative, listened to the feedback, and have been working to make good on their promises.

I think they deserve a ton of credit, but that's an easy position for me to take, because I wasn't one of the people who felt mislead and hurt from the launch. It's not my place to assume how people should and shouldn't feel about things, but I really believe that people make mistakes and genuinely want to do better. Sean and team are proving they are those people. Really hoping more and more people find the ability to see past the mistakes and get the chance to truly enjoy what they wanted all along.

It'd be a shame for a lot of people to miss out on an awesome experience (even if it wasn't always) just to harbor contempt in their hearts.

Lamptramp

Stuck here. I need 50 Cactus Flesh. What am I even looking for and where?

Its the rare (purple) resource on the planet, such as frost crystals or fungal "stuff". I just keep wandering and spamming scan until I see a purple icon. looks like a blobby plant, like how you harvest Zinc.

When you scan a planet from orbit it should tell you what resources it has.

edgefusion

I'm at a point where all of my quests, including the Awakenings questline, are bugged to the point they can no longer be progressed. :/

BSpot

Its the rare (purple) resource on the planet, such as frost crystals or fungal "stuff". I just keep wandering and spamming scan until I see a purple icon. looks like a blobby plant, like how you harvest Zinc.

When you scan a planet from orbit it should tell you what resources it has.

Ah, thank you. Will it become obvious when I can update to advanced mining laser or whatever? I can't fuck with those yet, I don't think. (Purple rare materials)

Unai

Is the universe shared among distinct modes? Like naming stuff, bases and the multiplayer-lite. What about between PC and PS4?

13ruce

Banned
Really digging survival. At first it felt a little too much with all the resource managing but it is far more interesting to play than loading up my old save.

Maybe it's just more of the fact that I'm starting a new file fresh on survival and less so the survival elements, although I do dig the challenge so far. No way am I deleting my old save. As far as I'm aware too I haven't suffered any lost data. I never started base building.

Yeah survival also gets very manageable once you are past the first few star systems and got some upgrades and money.

edgefusion

The ๖ۜBronx;246215780 said:
Not saying this to contest, just to get more information out there. Could you note down the main quests and the related issue stopping you from progressing?

The Awakenings quest is called "Patterns in Time", it asks me to
travel to a Vy'keen territory and speak with a mercenary guild representative. It always tells me my objective is in another galaxy, even when I'm in a Vy'keen territory, and the path to it on the galaxy map trails off endlessly.

The Exocraft Technician wants me to build a Nomad Geobay, which I have already built and re-built multiple times. He never accepts its existence, even after demolishing his station and restarting the quest.

I have a quest that I'm not even sure is part of a quest series relating to investigating a crashed freighter. It appears and disappears in my log at random, but the marker for the crashed freighter is always on my radar (it's in my home galaxy so I see it often). Going to the freighter does nothing, neither does investigating the freighters containers/captains log.

"The Space Anomaly" quest is in my quest log, with no objective attached. Visiting the space anomaly doesn't seem to have any affect on the entry.

Lamptramp

Ah, thank you. Will it become obvious when I can update to advanced mining laser or whatever? I can't fuck with those yet, I don't think. (Purple rare materials)

The cactus flesh, frost crystals, solanium, fungal mold etc etc, are all plants like things like zinc or thaumium9, you just press and hold square to collect them. As Muffin says, you need the hazmat gauntlet to be able to pick them up, its very early into the base building "quest" and not too expensive to get in terms of time/resources.

Thanks for taking the time to write that down, hopefully someone here might be able to help. Perhaps report it to HG if you haven't already, just copy and paste what you have there. That does suck though, no two ways about it.

Interaction spoilers for those casually browsing
I'm guessing you've been inside the Anomaly and interacted with those inside? Just want to check.

rezn0r

I wasn't a fan of all the hate that the game & he got at launch and I do really love to see so many people enjoying and even praising the game at this point. Yes it sucks it took this long, but the level of anger a year ago wasn't warranted either. I'm impressed that HG have stuck with it the way they have.

Edit:
a bunch of words!

You worded it much better than I did!

VandalD

This game really has its hooks in me. I tried out Creative mode to see what kind of base building you can do and I was impressed.

I can't find out how to build a Cuboid Room in normal. The blueprints trader doesn't sell it. I can build one in Creative because it gives you all the recipes, and I want to be able to do it in normal. Is it a quest reward? They're selling every other part but that one. I got the Glass Cuboid Room, Solid Cube and the various things that can go in a Cuboid Room, but yeah.. can't get the non glass room.

edgefusion

The ๖ۜBronx;246217044 said:
Thanks for taking the time to write that down, hopefully someone here might be able to help. Perhaps report it to HG if you haven't already, just copy and paste what you have there. That does suck though, no two ways about it.

Interaction spoilers for those casually browsing
I'm guessing you've been inside the Anomaly and interacted with those inside? Just want to check.

I have yeah. I found the anomaly before any quest for it showed up, so I'm guessing that is what's somehow broken it.

I have yeah. I found the anomaly before any quest for it showed up, so I'm guessing that is what's somehow broken it.
Interaction spoilers for those casually browsing.
From my experience pre-1.3 the anomaly shows up after a number of jumps to different systems, or after interacting with an Atlas station. It was hard to pin down the trigger but they weren't rare. Hopefully if you see another it'll consider it complete and move on.

Lamptramp

I think they deserve a ton of credit, but that's an easy position for me to take, because I wasn't one of the people who felt mislead and hurt from the launch. It's not my place to assume how people should and shouldn't feel about things, but I really believe that people make mistakes and genuinely want to do better. Sean and team are proving they are those people. Really hoping more and more people find the ability to see past the mistakes and get the chance to truly enjoy what they wanted all along.

It'd be a shame for a lot of people to miss out on an awesome experience (even if it wasn't always) just to harbor contempt in their hearts.

Some nicely penned thoughts guys.

I had written down a load of guff here but to be honest it's easier to just wholeheartedly agree. Enjoyed it day 1, enjoy it even more now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think that's been the hardest part. From the day it was announced and they started revealing details and talking about what the game was, i was internally like "and you're gonna do that with a 15 person dev team how exactly?" And I wasn't at all surprised when it launched and wasn't what it was supposed to be. It just seemed like they were biting off so much more than they could chew.

After the initial luke warm reviews i told myself I'd pick it up eventually just to have an educated opinion.

Then came Astroneer, which i absolutely adore for many of the exact same reasons as NMS. And when I finally started playing NMS, it's all the things I adore about Astroneer, but more fleshed out and deeper.
I have got to give Astroneer a try :)
What surprised me is that Sean and team absolutely kept their heads down and kept grinding to make it the game they wanted it to be.

As more and more time passes, it seems more like a scenario where Sony said "you need to ship" and they said "we're not ready" and Sony said "you have a contract, so you're shipping." No single party is to blame in that scenario; HG should have probably been more realistic and Sony should have probably been more flexible.

But either way, I keep coming back to the fact that they could've taken the money and run (and probably retired, based on sales and a smallish dev team) but instead they kept taking flack for the last year and put their heads down, ignored the negative, listened to the feedback, and have been working to make good on their promises.
And it's funny, because that never surprised me for a moment. Keeping their heads down and grinding is exactly what I expected. I remember this tweet from back when their Twitter got hacked:
yDMaiZS.png

It was the first comment from them since the week of launch, and the internet was almost universally in a critical frenzy at that point- blasting them specifically for not communicating. But I recognized in that "back to work" exactly what they were up to. Doing everything they could to make the game better. Getting in their pet features that didn't make release, even if just the most basic versions possible. Improving the tech and the graphics. Coffee and long nights of coding. Even though their "job was already done."

My pet theory is essentially this:

No Man's Sky was never really even intended to be realized on PS4 at the same time as on PC.

Essentially, NMS to me has all the hallmarks (positive and negative) of a Steam Early Access game, and a good one. Had it been quietly released on Early Access at a lower price point, I think it would have been received magnificently (flaws and all), with feedback provided constructively leading to big changes, and championed as one of the best uses of Early Access ever, as the content updates we have gotten were rolled out over the course of a year. Then, maybe after one or two more bouts of content and some polish- at some point in the future it would come out of Early Access- had it price bumped up, and- surprise!- we're also releasing the "Ultimate Edition" on PS4. It would have been a completely different ballgame.

Instead, I think Sony found out early on in development what the scope of this thing was, and realized its insane potential to capture the imagination and hype of gamers industry-wide as something that had never even been attempted on a console before. And at some point the edict came down, "nope. You're going to release simultaneously on PS4 and PC. This is going to be the first ever AAA indie game and we're pricing it at $60. You will have the full weight of Sony's AAA marketing behind you and we'll contract IGN to cover you from now until launch. Get it done."

And from there it kind of went from "here's this thing we want to get out when it's ready and continue making better over time" to "we need to finish something now." I could feel it when the original release was delayed, with an admission that it was because they were just outright still working on key aspects of the game. That isn't something you see often anymore, even in AAA release delays. I completely believe that even as it went gold, no one at HG was fully happy that their game had to be considered "done," when they had so much more they wanted to include and refine and add on an ongoing basis. You saw this reinforced with the day 1 patch, Sean's tweets surrounding it, and of course every subsequent content release (even as skeptics decried the idea that the game would ever get any post-launch support of any kind).

Even if I didn't enjoy it as a game, it would be fascinating as a case study. The way things occurred in reality, a lot of people cite NMS as their biggest gaming disappointment of all time. I think in an alternate reality without anything about the game actually being different, it would be considered a massive success story for indie devs worldwide.

Ahhh 100% agreed. We are kindred spirits you and I.

I still hope, and believe in my heart of hearts, that this is only the beginning. :)

mokeyjoe

So did I, and I couldn't talk to Nada or Polo, but the quest seems to be progressing fine now.

I've seen the freighter one pop up in my log and disappear, but there haven't any negative consequences.

I'm just past the mercenary representative mission, which seemed to progress fine. However it did keep asking me to visit him when the 'real' mission was to do mercenary missions to raise my rank. Can you even find him on the space station?

AR15mex

The ๖ۜBronx;246206324 said:
Same for the creatures, I'd like to see them focus on them with the next update. Yes, the game has caves, canyons, cliffs, mountains (though don't expect too much height), oceans. The caves can be extensive and large enough to grow trees in. You can very much get lost in some of the cave systems.

There are ocean worlds with a few islands around them, moons with no atmosphere where you just stand and look straight out into space. There are freezing worlds, burning worlds, toxic worlds and more.

Hope you enjoy it. Only thing I'd say is take your time to learn everything. It may be a bit of a slower start than you want but you'll never see every planet in the game and there will always be ones untouched that no one else has ever seen. There's no rush. After that though, just go where your curiosity takes you.

Appreciate the quick impressions, (and advice) I know that this patch has a couple of days out, but I don't see anyone with solid impressions on the procedural generated worlds, creatures, and so on. But I guess it would be hard to tell due to nature of the game right. I remember ppl saying when the game released that

if you visit 10 planets, they all look alike and that you have seen everything NMS has to offer

Does this point of view still stands on 1.3 patch? Is planet exploration rewarding? or you need just skim through the planets to get the game done and that's it?

edgefusion

So did I, and I couldn't talk to Nada or Polo, but the quest seems to be progressing fine now.

I've seen the freighter one pop up in my log and disappear, but there haven't any negative consequences.

I'm just past the mercenary representative mission, which seemed to progress fine. However it did keep asking me to visit him when the 'real' mission was to do mercenary missions to raise my rank. Can you even find him on the space station?

I can't find him on the space station, but I've never done a mercenaries quest so I'll start doing those and see what happens. Any idea what rank I might need to be to progress? The quest log says nothing about needing a particular rank.

Appreciate the quick impressions, (and advice) I know that this patch has a couple of days out, but I don't see anyone with solid impressions on the procedural generated worlds, creatures, and so on. But I guess it would be hard to tell due to nature of the game right. I remember ppl saying when the game released that

if you visit 10 planets, they all look alike and that you have seen everything NMS has to offer

Does this point of view still stands on 1.3 patch? Is planet exploration rewarding? or you need just skim through the planets to get the game done and that's it?

This is just my personal opinion, but that was never the case. There are a lot of quirks in the procedural generation that are a little more nuanced, and if you are just blazing through the planets you will likely never find some of the aspects that make each planet unique.

Even if you agreed with that sentiment at launch, it looks like they added some new rare super-exotic planet biomes that have huge unique visual flairs, but I have yet to find one outside the story after playing for ~12 hours since the update.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmmm, thing is I don't think that was even remotely close to true even at launch.... so your lightyear mileage may certainly vary...

"Hard to tell" is right on the money because you could feasibly go to 10 similar planets in a row... but the next 3 could be completely different from any of those 10 and one another. There is a lot of variety on that from in terms of terrain, coloration, presence or absence of water/liquid and caves, general distribution and amount and type of flora and fauna, presence of resources (which have a visual effect on the landscape), prevalence of outposts/buildings/ruins etc...

But maybe to get to the heart of what I think you're asking, I have definitely seen stuff I had not ever seen prior to the patch in screenshots already. And the average planet looks better than it did before the patch too.

Didn't really expect to buy this ever, but the new patch sounded interesting enough. Put in 50 minutes into it and seems interesting so far, albeit the constant flow of new things is kinda confusing and the menus could be easier to navigate (as in right click menu instead of combinations of E and X and mouse buttons)

Unicorn

Wiki hasn't been updated and I have been too lazy to craft it, but I cannot find anything talking about the new craftable living glass which you get blueprints for from your scientist the same time you get plans for explosive liquid. I'm curious what it does for your base.

I guess I'll just have to craft it later tonight or this week when I have free time again.

HeeHo

Appreciate the quick impressions, (and advice) I know that this patch has a couple of days out, but I don't see anyone with solid impressions on the procedural generated worlds, creatures...

I haven't played since any of the previous updates but I do notice creatures have increased in size. I am seeing dinosaur-size creatures every now and then where as before creatures were much smaller. The planets have a lot more variety too the further you explore. I think they improved the diversity of the generation.

Lamptramp

I have got to give Astroneer a try :)
My pet theory is essentially this:

No Man's Sky was never really even intended to be realized on PS4 at the same time as on PC.

Essentially, NMS to me has all the hallmarks (positive and negative) of a Steam Early Access game, and a good one. Had it been quietly released on Early Access at a lower price point, I think it would have been received magnificently (flaws and all), with feedback provided constructively leading to big changes, and championed as one of the best uses of Early Access ever, as the content updates we have gotten were rolled out over the course of a year. Then, maybe after one or two more bouts of content and some polish- at some point in the future it would come out of Early Access- had it price bumped up, and- surprise!- we're also releasing the "Ultimate Edition" on PS4. It would have been a completely different ballgame.

Instead, I think Sony found out early on in development what the scope of this thing was, and realized its insane potential to capture the imagination and hype of gamers industry-wide as something that had never even been attempted on a console before. And at some point the edict came down, "nope. You're going to release simultaneously on PS4 and PC. This is going to be the first ever AAA indie game and we're pricing it at $60. You will have the full weight of Sony's AAA marketing behind you and we'll contract IGN to cover you from now until launch. Get it done."

And from there it kind of went from "here's this thing we want to get out when it's ready and continue making better over time" to "we need to finish something now." I could feel it when the original release was delayed, with an admission that it was because they were just outright still working on key aspects of the game. That isn't something you see often anymore, even in AAA release delays. I completely believe that even as it went gold, no one at HG was fully happy that their game had to be considered "done," when they had so much more they wanted to include and refine and add on an ongoing basis. You saw this reinforced with the day 1 patch, Sean's tweets surrounding it, and of course every subsequent content release (even as skeptics decried the idea that the game would ever get any post-launch support of any kind).

(I tried Astroneer too, and loved it but it ran terribly on my aging machine)...

I think that's a solid theory Hawkian, and similar to my own headcannon, I always assumed that to have a major first party come on board and take all that marketing worry off the shoulders of such a small team must have seemed like such a no-brainier at the time. Not to mention the increased reach with the consoles, not needing to worry about hiring/spending time on non-development tasks, the team must have thought they could cope with the additional work from a simultaneous release. Of course with more fanfare, came more expectations.

Wiki hasn't been updated and I have been too lazy to craft it, but I cannot find anything talking about the new craftable living glass which you get blueprints for from your scientist the same time you get plans for explosive liquid. I'm curious what it does for your base.

I guess I'll just have to craft it later tonight or this week when I have free time again.

I've not had time to craft it yet either, I had assumed that it was a way of keeping plants alive without the need for fuel in the hydroponic bay? Would be interesting to know though, so get to it Unicorn! :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
totally a good point. I'm sure they didn't even hesitate to say yes at the time. It probably seemed (and was) the opportunity of a lifetime for the studio behind Joe Danger and Joe Danger 2: The Movie to get this kind of muscle on their side.

Top Bottom