• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah, ok. I only know like 10 words, my standing is pretty low with all races so makes sense it's that. Thanks
Could be it yeah. I already had at least rank 4 with all races on my save and totally maxed with Korvax, and happened to be in a Korvax system. Didn't have to do any story related stuff to access the missions though.

Could be it yeah. I already had at least rank 4 with all races on my save and totally maxed with Korvax, and happened to be in a Korvax system. Didn't have to do any story related stuff to access the missions though.
I restarted and missions are locked for me in stations. From experience I assumed it would be standing related. When you interact they say something akin to "Sorry, there's no work here for you at the moment".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The ๖ۜBronx;246188618 said:
I restarted and missions are locked for me in stations. From experience I assumed it would be standing related. When you interact they say something akin to "Sorry, there's no work here for you at the moment".
Makes sense. I never even thought about it

If anyone happens to know what rank you need to reach before missions unlock for you, let me know and I'll toss that in the tips post

ColonelT

I finished the original Atlas path shortly after the release of the Foundation patch, and earned a wildly insulting "reward" for my efforts. Seconds later, in anger, I deleted the game from my PS4 and vowed never to return.

If I break my promise to myself by reinstalling the game and loading up my save, I'm not going to have to do that questline again, am I? Is it even still in the game? Is the new 1.3 story content separate and apart from that original Atlas path? I really, really didn't care for it.

Aenima

They can refresh the universe as much as they want if it means getting more and more variety with planets. Id be over the moon of they're able to get running water.. rings... Binary/ different stars... even higher cliffs(i love where they are now) within the next year.

Im all about that proc gen.

Yup. Having to rebuild a base is a small price to pay for new worlds, im really enjoying these new worlds im finding, as the most thing i enjoy in the game is exploring. I have been seeing really great and new stuff. Totally worth it that my base is still in a radioactive dumpster planet.

I finished the original Atlas path shortly after the release of the Foundation patch, and earned a wildly insulting "reward" for my efforts. Seconds later, in anger, I deleted the game from my PS4 and vowed never to return.

If I break my promise to myself by reinstalling the game and loading up my save, I'm not going to have to do that questline again, am I? Is it even still in the game? Is the new 1.3 story content separate and apart from that original Atlas path? I really, really didn't care for it.
The Atlas Path quest will appear again in the new version as thers new things u need to craft for that story line. The new story line is separated and gives u a better understanding of what all this is about and even gives u a good idea about why things end the way they do when u reach the center. It all makes sence if u follow the story lore.

But both quests are optional things u can do, dont feel forced to go to the center. Your are the owner of ur own destiny, following what Atlas tells u to do you are just being a tool for Atlas intentions.

To me reaching the center is just secondary. Exploring new worlds, build a base, make money to buy that cool ship and upgraded are my goals, i dont need a quest to tell me what to do, even if i intent to finsih the Atlas path quest again. Cuz im curious to see if something new happens in the center, but following the game lore explained in the new quest line, im not expencting nothing much diferent to happen apart from maybe a couple of dialog lines.

Tumle

What is ur planet labeled?

I found that Forest, Jungle, Florishing Lush, Verdant planets can all be lush planets but they all seems to be pouring rain one too. So far the Paradise planet was the best contender, pitty it was too baren.
Need to look it up when I get home.. mine is also sunny.. or it was when I was there😊

mokeyjoe

The Atlas path is technically 'still' in the game, but it's been overhauled and rewritten, and is more sort of intertwined with the 'main' story. It also ends differently I believe and supposedly in a cool way, but I haven't got there yet.

ColonelT

The Atlas path is technically 'still' in the game, but it's been overhauled and rewritten, and is more sort of intertwined with the 'main' story. It also ends differently I believe and supposedly in a cool way, but I haven't got there yet.
Thanks. So just to clarify, even though I finished it pre-1.3, it will now appear again as an available quest in its new form?

~Kinggi~

Banned
How the hell do you find glyphs for portals? I went in some caves and have no idea what im looking for. Also one of the portals i found seemed to let you charge up glyphs using elements. I thought you needed the glyphs first?

Mikey Jr.

I really haven't been following the patches with this game so far. So I just recently went through all 3 patches notes for this game.

HOLY SHIT

I have no fucking idea how much stuff was in these patches. I thought it was like 2 or 3 things. But each one has a ton of stuff in it thats not really advertised.

Can't wait for the next patch. This is fucking awesome.

Aenima

Thanks. So just to clarify, even though I finished it pre-1.3, it will now appear again as an available quest in its new form?

Yup. I had finished it too before, and after i installed the 1.3 update the quest appears again right away. The other new quest you will receive later when ur in ur space ship traveling. So be aware of an incoming transmition while u are inside ur ship in space.

mokeyjoe

I don't know actually. In the survival save I'm using I hadn't done the Atlas Path.

Yup. I had finished it too, before and after i installed the patch the quest appears right away. The new quest you will receive later when ur in ur space ship traveling. So be aware of an incoming transmition while u are inside ur ship in space.

Is that the atlas path or the awakening storyline though? They show up as separate quests in my log.

Oozer3993

I'm doing the new storyline and might have hit a snag. I need a device to continue, but to be able to craft it I need to do missions for the workers at my base. The armorer asked that I take out some Sentinel ships in orbit, but I died before I killed enough of them for the quest. And now they're gone. Will they pop up again, or am I just in limbo?

JoeBoy101

Man I forgot how much of a grind the early game is , deleted my launch save to start fresh (bye bye 48 slotter) , finally found a crashed ship and every slot is damaged . Going to cost me millions to repair em all . Every planet in this system is a shithole as well which makes mining really hard .

So I've got a decent ship with no slots , my starting gun still , no tech upgrades , bugger all money and lots of broken pieces . Time to get out of this hellhole :p

Missions, my friend. MISSIONS. They pay out decently, you can stack ones with the same requirements, and they give you rank increases. M-I-S-S-I-O-N-S

Yes. I finished it in Version 1.0, and when I installed the latest version it was back (although it has different dialogue and such now). I also got to re-do all the base-building from scratch.

I'm doing the new storyline and might have hit a snag. I need a device to continue, but to be able to craft it I need to do missions for the workers at my base. The armorer asked that I take out some Sentinel ships in orbit, but I died before I killed enough of them for the quest. And now they're gone. Will they pop up again, or am I just in limbo?

They should respawn. You may need to talk to the armorer again. You might also consider upgrading your ship first. Those guys fucked me up and I had a "not-terrible" pre-patch ship. Be sure to bring a looooot of iron with you to fix up your shields.

Minamu

Have people already completed all the new story?? Wasn't it supposed to be 30 hours long? Seemed like people knew how it all ends by the second day.

Mine disappeared as well when I ran to hide in my freighter. But enough came back once I attacked another freighter. Try that!

Survival and Permadeath are awesome though. If they didn't have the insane Plutonium requirement, it'd just be easy to leave a planet you don't like. I can't tell you how many moments of "oh fuck oh fuck OH FUCK" as I'm freezing to death with little to no resources, moving from cave to cave. It was even HARDER before 1.3 because resource scans rarely showed Plutonium at all, unless it was large chunks of it.

I do agree that they should but it a bit though. 50% perhaps.

The plutonium requirement and the harsh penalty for sprinting don't make Survival harder....just slower. It is easier for the uninitiated to get into a bad situation I suppose, but once you have a sense of how things work in the NMS universe, it's really not any different from the regular gameplay loop.

I wish they would tweak creature AI to be more aggressive instead. And make the mining laser do piss-all for damage (without upgrades), so you have to use the bolt-caster to defend yourself (with an appropriate increase in consumable usage). That way they could tie survival to resources in a way that feels challenging, rather than tedious.

The plutonium requirement and the harsh penalty for sprinting don't make Survival harder....just slower. It is easier for the uninitiated to get into a bad situation I suppose, but once you have a sense of how things work in the NMS universe, it's really not any different from the regular gameplay loop.
For me it feels like I'm in The Martian, that's why I enjoy it. I feel like I'm there and I have to make those decisions to survive.

When you've made it the loop may not be that different but the close encounters with death are certainly far more intense and the luxury planets that much more satisfying.

Normal to me is exploration, having fun and discovering things. Survival is me trying to survive in an alien universe. I see it more as The Long Dark than Dark Souls, if that makes sense.

OuterLimits

Have people already completed all the new story?? Wasn't it supposed to be 30 hours long? Seemed like people knew how it all ends by the second day.

Mine disappeared as well when I ran to hide in my freighter. But enough came back once I attacked another freighter. Try that!

I think the new story aspects include the new conversations with aliens, and also the added lore at Abandoned buildings and maybe monoliths. In addition to the new main story of course.

I remember when Hello Games announced they hired a writer after it was released. Apparently that person has been busy. Perhaps they were involved with the ARG as well

mokeyjoe

I wish they would tweak creature AI to be more aggressive instead. And make the mining laser do piss-all for damage (without upgrades), so you have to use the bolt-caster to defend yourself (with an appropriate increase in consumable usage). That way they could tie survival to resources in a way that feels challenging, rather than tedious.

It's not even slower. Now that plutonium is available for sale in bulk it's just a matter of stocking up. Once you've got a hyperdrive and you're up and running the only real difference with survival is the harder environments and enemies. It's really only the early game that feels resource starved.

As for animals. Well they're long overdue an overhaul altogether.

I like this idea, even for normal mode. I feel like if you want your multi-tool to be a weapon, you should have to add weapon features to it. The mining laser shouldn't do no damage at all, but it shouldn't be a completely viable substitute for the boltcaster/shotgun or grenade attachments. As it stands now, there's no reason for me to use the boltcaster as my mining laser will take down anything I find myself fighting (not usually much; the occasional aggressive animal or low-level sentinels for certain missions). Bigger things go down to a single grenade. It makes combat feel utterly stupid. Changing it up forces you to decide what to focus on; are you going to prioritize mining, in which case you need to learn to run like hell from danger? Or do you want to be a crazy space warrior, with the downside of limited effectiveness in mining resources without additional tools?

Aenima

I don't know actually. In the survival save I'm using I hadn't done the Atlas Path.

Is that the atlas path or the awakening storyline though? They show up as separate quests in my log.

As soon i intalled the update i got "The Atlas Path" again in my quest log. the new quest "Awakening" appeared soon after i jumped to a new star system while i was in space i got a transmition inside my ship that added "Awakening" quest line to my log, now i have both quest lines in my log they can be done separated.

Honestly, I find Boltcaster to be so effective with damage that I never bothered upgrading the Mining Laser for damage. With one or two damage upgrades + bullets it beats literally anything, even the Sentinel Dogs and Walkers. There are some new weapon mods (like Javelin and the shotgun thing) but I haven't bothered upgrading them to test their effectiveness.

I feel Javelin could have some potential when powered up but is really slow in its base values.

kiguel182

Apparently my bug in the main quest wasn’t a bug. Altought the quest told me to do something I already did and it updated slowly. It’s a buggy quest system but yeah, the game is super non linear so this must have been a huge task to program.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Finally got the Grenade Launcher but when I aim it at a mineral (like iron) it skips the explosion animation, the target disappears and nothing is mined. Is that a bug or a change in the Atlas patch?

Also I get visual glitches every time I mine something.

Definitely a new bug , I use it to gather iron faster but half the time the target disappear upon contact

Aenima

I just found a Barbie world, but as diferent as it was what intriged me was a brand new structure the planet has. I can interactive with the structure terminal but it dosent seems to do much apart from some text logs. Also this planet didnt had any other buldings, it was just full of these structures.

The planet:
2dJLJ3D.png

and as some might find it a spoiler, i eill spoiler tag the new structure thing.

vAOKsc3.png

How is this on PC?

Good. There are occasional game-breaking bugs if you're working from a save from older versions of the game, but if you're starting new, it's mostly hunky-dory. It doesn't support HDR (unlike the PS4 Pro version), but you have control over resolution, so that's a fair trade. And there is a reasonably active modding scene. Plus it's cheaper on PC right now (I believe).

Regarding the portals and glyphs,
I see people mentioning that you need to search for glyphs in caves, but the game never says this, right? Seems they're very rare and the whole process of being able to use the portals looks like it's very grindy and RNG based (like most things in this game), but has anyone maybe found an easier way of finding them?

Anyway, been doing a bunch of missions, and the missions counter in the Log screen seems to work, but the standing with the guilds looks like it's stuck in place (rank unknown, needs 3 to next level - initiate). Is this bugged or do I not understand how guild rank progression works?

OuterLimits

It's not even slower. Now that plutonium is available for sale in bulk it's just a matter of stocking up. Once you've got a hyperdrive and you're up and running the only real difference with survival is the harder environments and enemies. It's really only the early game that feels resource starved.

As for animals. Well they're long overdue an overhaul altogether.

Yeah. Buying resources in bulk at space stations has reduced the difference between normal and survivor after you get off the first planet. So has being able to call your ship anywhere.

Main differences are:

Faster depletion of hazard protection.
100% fuel usage on liftoff
More damage from enemies on planets and pirates.
More frequent pirates( this may be less so now since the update introduced Conflict ratings for each system)
Paradise planets always have hostile sentinels
Only mining half the amount of some resources(carbon, iron, plutonium)

Perhaps others I'm not thinking of right now.

Aenima

Anyway, been doing a bunch of missions, and the missions counter in the Log screen seems to work, but the standing with the guilds looks like it's stuck in place (rank unknown, needs 3 to next level - initiate). Is this bugged or do I not understand how guild rank progression works?

THey seem to be working. mines all started with unknown rank and could only acept mission from ungnown rank, after i did a couple of explorer guild quest, still say unknown but i can acept level 3 missions. Not sure if i could acept these before or not. Just seems i need to do alot of missions to see if the standing increases.

I spent 5 hours waiting for an exotic ship to respawn, surprise... it never did.

It does not seem like they function like other ships with rotating and respawning in a system. Probably just extremely rare and random. Should've bought it on site, but I did not want to lose my 48 slot C class 1.0 fighter.

Well, at least I know to fly around with a different ship now, just in case.

Wish they'd add some different moves/attacks to the hostile fauna. Ranged stuff, like acid/toxic spit spewing, thrown spines, sonic blast, bioelectricity, maybe some crazier stuff like fire-breathing. Just lift a list of stuff from Pokemón and they're good :D

That would make them aggros more interesting.

theWB27

Yup. Having to rebuild a base is a small price to pay for new worlds, im really enjoying these new worlds im finding, as the most thing i enjoy in the game is exploring. I have been seeing really great and new stuff. Totally worth it that my base is still in a radioactive dumpster planet.

If they can get close to Space Engine level of variety I'd probably not play another game.

I think it's a valid complaint, I tried Survival several times (before and after patch) and it's just a grind and waitfest, not much fun to be had actually.

I understand it needs to be challenging but sitting around in your ship or a cave constantly for you hazard protection to go back up gets old really quickly. Walking around for 30+ minutes to scrounge up enough PT to be able to launch your ship is very boring.

If they'd tweak it a bit (which I hoped they did this patch, but sadly they didn't) it could actually be a fun and challenging mode of play.

You're meant to try and survive though...not live. The challenge is to try and survive.

Dommel

I think it's 100% on Survival. The irony of playing on the hardest mode and then complaining about the difficulty is interesting, though.

I think it's a valid complaint, I tried Survival several times (before and after patch) and it's just a grind and waitfest, not much fun to be had actually.

I understand it needs to be challenging but sitting around in your ship or a cave constantly for you hazard protection to go back up gets old really quickly. Walking around for 30+ minutes to scrounge up enough PT to be able to launch your ship is very boring.

If they'd tweak it a bit (which I hoped they did this patch, but sadly they didn't) it could actually be a fun and challenging mode of play.

I find it a lot of fun, because I see it as a completely different playstyle to just being harder. It alters how you approach the game in a way I really like.

That said I'd be happy with having Normal, Hard (what you want) and Permadeath Survival. For me playing survival as it stands makes little sense without the concern of permanent death.

KTallguy

Banned
Back in the thread, thanks guys!

Find and waypoint a Trade Station or a trade terminal POI as soon as possible on your first planet... Once you have a ship, stock up as much as you can at a space station and basically use that plutonium just to make some money so you can go back and stock up more: explore, sell faction items, go mine... Just invest that use of plutonium in being able to afford even more plutonium -- don't go use it to go explore or search for crashed ships or something. Worry about your resource stockpiles, first. Only things you probably should spend money on are inventory slots to carry more resources/loot to sell, or buying resource stockpiles. Don't worry about other stuff and you feel like you constantly-without-fail always have a full ship slot of plutonium and zinc, and at least an inventory slot of thamium9 or power recharge cells.

Sell some of your faction items like Korvax Casing, Vy'keen daggers, too. By mid/end-game you'll be swimming in them with maxed factions so take advantage of them early on to ensure your survival; you can worry about factions once you don't have to worry about constantly dying from getting stuck with plutonium on dangerous planets. Especially non-Korvax ones IMO because I think your priority should be the Korvax ones to get the weather shields because they make a huge difference. You should try turn in many of them, most if possible, but if you gotta choose between having any back-up plutonium/zinc/thamium9 reserves or turning in a couple extra geknips or vy'keen daggers, then sell 'em~

Planets can find pretty creative or unexpected ways to try kill you... my general rule is never ever leave a space station to go to a planet without at least 1 stack of each critical resource.

Don't ever land somewhere new unless you know you can fly off again immediately again; unless you have enough zinc to survive a few minutes in a storm in case you jump out your ship into a sinkhole you never saw and it forces you to find an exit far away and run around out on a nuclear storm lol; or to survive weather/sentinels while you collect materials in case you somehow did forget to fix/charge your ship. Sell whatever you have to or even try buy/sell low/high in space stations until you can afford it. Don't leave the safety of the space station and teleport travel (stations and base) until you can survive any of the risks of interplanetary flying/on the planet.

My first 50 hours or so I stuck to Space Stations and Trade Stations like a bee to honey haha. Try imagine all the bad/odd/unexpected shit that can go wrong on a new planet, make a checklist to avoid/mitigate each, and then once you've prepared items for each, then go explore :p It's kinda strict and more for Permadeath but it's a good rule of thumb to avoid losing your shit in Survival, too heheh.

Thanks for the well written, informative guide. I'm realizing that Zinc is essential... I was gasping for joy when I ran into it. Thamium9 seems equally rare and essential before you can just buy/stockpile it.

One thing I also realized is that entering my ship does not refill my life support. I was crafting Power Canisters to do it, which are relatively cheap when Plutonium is available.

But the rule of thumb to not land on a planet without at least one ship stack of each vital resource (Plutonium, Thamium9, Zinc), is very helpful. I honestly enjoy the fact that I have to take things seriously. I almost never feared for my life ever in the original game.

You've just learned the first lesson every Survival player needs to learn - never, ever, ever, land without enough fuel to take off again. Ever. Not even if you think it's safe. :p

But to answer your question you need 200 to take off again.

I'm surprised it's so hard to find. 1.3 seems to have tons of Pu everywhere. If there's really none to be found then you'll need to find a trading post to buy some. If you can scrounge together 25 then it might be worth dropping a Signal Booster down to scan for one.

200, got it. I like the fact that I have to think about what I'm doing now.

One question I have about Signal Boosters is that I can't control what kind of resource it points me to, right? Or maybe I can? Signal Boosters are awesome.

Top Bottom