• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Patchy

Banned
How do I ditch the atlas path and take up the new story missions? I've somehow ended up on the atlas path again and really don't want to do it...

JoeBoy101

Got to my designated planet for my base through the Artemis questline. Pretty, coastal site. On a toxic planet. With aggressive sentinels.

le sigh

Nevermind, I'll find my own.

Patchy said:
How do I ditch the atlas path and take up the new story missions? I've somehow ended up on the atlas path again and really don't want to do it...

They can be done concurrently. I forget how it starts, but doing Atlas will not lock you out of the new one.

You did start the Awakenings missions and it is on your log? Just select it there and follow them. In the universe map use the D-pad arrows left and right to switch between Atlas, Awakenings, free roam and center of the universe tracks.

magawolaz

It's so nice to keep seeing this thread on the front page.

I'm almost done with the base building quests, I'm not a fan of fetch quest but I like how there's at least some originality behind them.

I found a weird bug where, after dying and respawning at a space station, my face buttons wouldn't work for a solid minute. Already reported, I wonder if I'm the only one who expetienced it.

Also just wanted to share this pic:
36558323066_a9fd9360e0_b.jpg

McLovin

I'm really liking no mans sky. The added mission structure has you busy at pretty much all times. They added a lot of polish to the experience. I recommend going back if you still have the game. I restarted fresh and don't regret it at all.

Pretty sure I broke the weapons base quest.

The one where he tells you to kill sentinels in space. Went to space on accident, boosted back to the planet, they followed me to the surface, I hid in my base, they wouldn't leave, so I warped and then warped back.

They were gone but now I can't figure out how to trigger them to come back again.

=(
I'm on that one now I went in thinking it was gonna be easy and that huge ass ship popped out of nowhere lasers everywhere bunch of ships after me. Ran away like a bitch cuz I didn't have any iron. Landed and started mining when all hell broke lose. I'm still getting fired at and I finally see one of those huge ass walker sentinels. Thing was right on me I had no chance of surviving lol

Is there anyone that is good at space combat? I win my fights by stockpiling 1000 zinc and recharging the shield a lot. Is there a more skilled way to handle the pirates?
Seriously considering (minor spoiler about new function)
paying them off after hailing them
as the best option to save time...

Also:
It seems that you almost always have to activate the quest you want to progress BEFORE progressing. And that still might not be enough, I've constructed many roamer geobays now... I know that this has been a frequent comment in the thread, would be nice if you could sticky helpful information above the first post of the page - or maybe put it in the OP?
(I know that this has been posted before, but I didn't know how many quests it really affects, pretty much all of them when it comes to base building, also big thanks to those who posted before)

They need to fix the quests ASAP now that they finally got some goodwilll.

Glitches aside, I think the game is a solid 8.5 with a truly unique touch.

Bought it at launch after the reviews and the rage to see what it all was about and found it interesting but barren - sort of like a budget 90's game. This is a different experience.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You did start the Awakenings missions and it is on your log? Just select it there and follow them. In the universe map use the D-pad arrows left and right to switch between Atlas, Awakenings, free roam and center of the universe tracks.

I'm in the same boat as the other poster - was on the Awakenings path and then at a certain point I was asked to choose between free roam and the Atlas path, and the Awakenings path disappeared, doesn't show in the log. I heard it comes back later on though.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm in the same boat as the other poster - was on the Awakenings path and then at a certain point I was asked to choose between free roam and the Atlas path, and the Awakenings path disappeared, doesn't show in the log. I heard it comes back later on though.

Yeah just keep warping around and doing your thing and you'll get a message about another strange distress call or something.

My Awakenings questline just appeared again earlier after not being there for a day after I picked free roam as well.

Unicorn

(I tried Astroneer too, and loved it but it ran terribly on my aging machine)...

I think that's a solid theory Hawkian, and similar to my own headcannon, I always assumed that to have a major first party come on board and take all that marketing worry off the shoulders of such a small team must have seemed like such a no-brainier at the time. Not to mention the increased reach with the consoles, not needing to worry about hiring/spending time on non-development tasks, the team must have thought they could cope with the additional work from a simultaneous release. Of course with more fanfare, came more expectations.

I've not had time to craft it yet either, I had assumed that it was a way of keeping plants alive without the need for fuel in the hydroponic bay? Would be interesting to know though, so get to it Unicorn! :p
Living glass is only used to construct the biodome which supports 16 plants when entered via ladder and the plants do not require hydroponic trays. Lotta resources to build, but looks to be no maintenance. Will update once I get enough mats to make it. Frost Crystal and gamma root are my slowest resource.

Lamptramp

Pretty sure I broke the weapons base quest.

The one where he tells you to kill sentinels in space. Went to space on accident, boosted back to the planet, they followed me to the surface, I hid in my base, they wouldn't leave, so I warped and then warped back.

They were gone but now I can't figure out how to trigger them to come back again.

=(

I'm on that one now I went in thinking it was gonna be easy and that huge ass ship popped out of nowhere lasers everywhere bunch of ships after me. Ran away like a bitch cuz I didn't have any iron. Landed and started mining when all hell broke lose. I'm still getting fired at and I finally see one of those huge ass walker sentinels. Thing was right on me I had no chance of surviving lol

I did exactly the same thing, they didn't follow me to the surface but I got the walkers spawn, I dispatched them by firing at them from my ship but they didnt count and now the quest lingers... Not had chance to find any other sentinel ships to see if I complete it on another planet, and TBH I'm getting pummelled every time I try to fight in space so not been in a rush to try it :)

Living glass is only used to construct the biodome which supports 16 plants when entered via ladder and the plants do not require hydroponic trays. Lotta resources to build, but looks to be no maintenance. Will update once I get enough mats to make it. Frost Crystal and gamma root are my slowest resource.

Cheers for the update, just started on gamma root now, so may take some time here too.

zeemumu

I have no idea how youre supposed to make real money, Im always hovering around 100-200k, and then I buy a new ship inventory slot, and down I go.

Some sidequests give 50k which isnt bad i guess, but all the "special items" I find are only worth like 10k and shit.

/shrug

I got most of my money from finding a deposit of gold on some random irradiated planet. I mined most of it, which got me 2 or 3 stacks and that gave me a couple 100k

Lom1lo

I think I have a bug. I got the mordit farming quest and it disappeared from my log. If I go to the farmer, he doesnt want to talk with me. I also got a quest to search for a stranded freighter, this disappeared from my log too, wtf

Sarcasm

So yeah pretty much turns into normal mode.

Reading tips, what does this exactly mean?

Code:
If you own a Freighter, and are making frequent rapid trips between the surface and space- say, strip-mining a planet and selling off at the system space station- consider instead summoning your Freighter into orbit above the planet and trading with captains that enter it to cut down on valuable intrasystem travel time and risk of being pirated.

Can you access the captains remotely or something?

jimminy1403

Neo Member
It's become a common theme to look up how to find an element or something similar, find a guide, then find out it was written a year ago and since then everything has changed...

pmj

I think I have a broken mission. It's telling me to destroy a facility, the problem is that it's already destroyed, because I was sent to that same place on an earlier mission. It's just a side mission, so no big deal, except that it appears that you can't delete unwanted missions from the log. I hope it's not going to be stuck there forever.

Another thing I've been wondering about, that someone might know: I built myself a shitty base and I feel bad about it. Can I destroy rooms and immediately rebuild them, or would I have to go through with all the recruitment missions again in order to be operational? What happens to what I have in storage in the base?

And is there a way to improve base storage, because those five slot containers suck. I spend far more time than is reasonable trying to find the right components I need. It's actually kind of baffling that they don't allow you to craft using components stored in the base, at least when you're nearby.

I think I have a bug. I got the mordit farming quest and it disappeared from my log. If I go to the farmer, he doesnt want to talk with me. I also got a quest to search for a stranded freighter, this disappeared from my log too, wtf

Had that exact same issue this morning, so weird.

I really wish you could select multiple missions. I had the secondary missions selected for awhile and warped a few times only to click on the main quest and find out I had to backtrack a few solar systems to continue it.

To anyone who has completed the new version of Atlas Path and the new main quest, is it recommended to complete one or the other first, or does it not matter because they only loosely connect?

Lamptramp

I think I have a broken mission. It's telling me to destroy a facility, the problem is that it's already destroyed, because I was sent to that same place on an earlier mission. It's just a side mission, so no big deal, except that it appears that you can't delete unwanted missions from the log. I hope it's not going to be stuck there forever.

Had the same happen yesterday, if you search for a new facility with the buggy scanner and destroy that it will complete the mission. (I'm assuming its the buggy questline rather than a rep mission?)

I just noticed this too, the NPC said it was the last thing to teach you, and after planting it, got nothing, no reward or update to say completed. I suspect it just ends.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
With this light MP stuff, it's a shame only one base per system gets "recognized" (or how to put it). And there can seemingly also only be one meetup monument per system? The Galactic Hub project that's going on is so cool, but it would be even better if a whole bunch of players could "live" on the same planet. Like, imagine a group hanging out around one player's base, and then you all zip around the planet to your home base. The best of neighbors.

Perhaps pointless, but I still want that.

pmj

Had the same happen yesterday, if you search for a new facility with the buggy scanner and destroy that it will complete the mission. (I'm assuming its the buggy questline rather than a rep mission?)

It's not. It's a mission that I picked up on a space station, and it gave me the coordinates to a facility to destroy. When I get there it's already destroyed. I think I did that yesterday because the flight path seemed very familiar. I'm going to try to destroy another facility elsewhere to see if that's good enough.

ys45

Seeing all these post about broken quest etc ... I think I'm gonna wait they fix some stuffs before doing any main quest .

I also think I'm gonna backup my save before doing anything like quest from my base .

webrunner

i have to say: really dumb they give you recipes for stuff you can't get the ingredients for yet

like, you need frost crystals to make glass, and you can't get frost crystals without the gauntlet, and you can't get the gauntlet until you have an armorer, which you cant get until several steps after getting the recipe for glass.

red731

Seeing all these post about broken quest etc ... I think I'm gonna wait they fix some stuffs before doing any main quest .

I also think I'm gonna backup my save before doing anything like quest from my base .

I started anew from 56hrs I've put in to the game previously. Is cool to be on the ride again.

Can't wait to get home and play.

I was just thinking the same thing! Just re-downloaded this and was going to start again tonight... but might just wait some more and see what happens. :/

MJBarret

Neo Member

Wise. I've discovered I can't load my latest save. I've been progressing at my own pace since launch day and don't wanna have to start all over, so thank god for cloud-saves, though that'll still cost me about 10 hours progress and the bitchin' new experimental multitool I found :(

b0uncyfr0

Has there been a way to increase the texture fade-In on PC? The textures fading in with that black pixel effect is very distracting.

edgefusion

Does anybody have any advice for stair building? The cuboid stairs are really clunky to place and take up a lot of room. It seems quite hard to make an attractive, multi-story base with the current tools?

I think it's new for this update, you can now build rooms underneath ground level.

Pressed the button by mistake and a room was built directly below another. Ran out of resources so I don't know if you can go further down.

Hop into creative mode and go wild with the terrain modifier, its fantastic. I built a base completely underground (except the default section) which was only accessible via a cave which I tunnelled through :D

Smokey

Used to work differently, but now you have to right-click to deselect the currently selected system and then you can move the camera/reticle freely and use WASD to move around (also protip - CTRL and SPACE rotate the camera up and down around the selected system or ascend/descend the camera when nothing is selected). Then just left click once to select a new system and hold left click to confirm the jump (if it's close enough and you have enough fuel).

My man. Thanks for this. Right click did it. Was driving me crazy.

akileese

Found an abandoned 37 slot ship last night on my second planet. Most of them were damaged to the tune of 48k per slot, but there was an aluminum deposit right next to it, which allowed me to keep mining that, selling it, and buying up heridium to repair components. Hopefully tonight I can have it fully operational and ready to leave the planet!

kaskade

I'm actually thinking of jumping back into this. I didn't hate the original version, it just felt like everything was intentionally too slow, movement, flying around the planet's surface, inventory management was a pain. Is most of that fixed now? I enjoyed the general just flying to planets and relaxing of the game but none of the planets were ever cool enough looking to feel like I was discovering some cool exotic planet. That seems like it's been fixed based on the trailers so far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm actually thinking of jumping back into this. I didn't hate the original version, it just felt like everything was intentionally too slow, movement, flying around the planet's surface, inventory management was a pain. Is most of that fixed now? I enjoyed the general just flying to planets and relaxing of the game but none of the planets were ever cool enough looking to feel like I was discovering some cool exotic planet. That seems like it's been fixed based on the trailers so far.

Hmm, no, all of that is still pretty much the same. You can fly closer to the surface now though, which just feels better.

edgefusion

Found an abandoned 37 slot ship last night on my second planet. Most of them were damaged to the tune of 48k per slot, but there was an aluminum deposit right next to it, which allowed me to keep mining that, selling it, and buying up heridium to repair components. Hopefully tonight I can have it fully operational and ready to leave the planet!

Those repair costs go up each time you repair one. I have a 27 slot ship with 2 slots still broken, costing 790k units each. It's gonna get costly!

Handy Fake

Those repair costs go up each time you repair one. I have a 27 slot ship with 2 slots still broken, costing 790k unites each. It's gonna get costly!

Found a hauler when we restarted a couple days ago. Forget how many slots (42 possibly). We fixed it up and traded it in for an A Class fighter at the station. And very nice it is too.

mokeyjoe

Is there anyone that is good at space combat? I win my fights by stockpiling 1000 zinc and recharging the shield a lot. Is there a more skilled way to handle the pirates?
Seriously considering (minor spoiler about new function)
paying them off after hailing them
as the best option to save time...

I play on survival and don't have trouble with space combat. Often I can take on a couple of ships with little need to recharge my shields. I'm not especially leveled up either.

I don't know if there's any trick to it. What I tend to do is come to a standstill as they warp in, this usually gives me a bunch of free shots on them. Then I usually stay going pretty slow and basically pivot to shoot them. Don't go fast, maneuverability is more important than speed. With tougher opponents you have to move more, keep an eye on how they're moving and stay on their 6. Don't let them get a run on you - if you do then that's when you find yourself constantly having to recharge. As they fly past you, slow down, flip round, and boost after them, you'll be right up behind them - try to stay there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
think I sw someone with the same issue, just not sure if its a issue or not.

Im on the base building mission, I need to recruit a scientist, but the quest marker is still back on the base. I went to the space station where I got the engineer (or whatever the first guy you recruit is, foreman, something) and there is noone thee to recruit.

So is this a bug, or do I just need to go to a different space station?

mokeyjoe

Im on the base building mission, I need to recruit a scientist, but the quest marker is still back on the base. I went to the space station where I got the engineer (or whatever the first guy you recruit is, foreman, something) and there is noone thee to recruit.

Yes, you'll need to go to a Korvax system to find a scientist.

Yeah, it's probably not a bug, just that the requirements aren't maybe as clear because the quests often give you markers on where to go, but this one I think doesn't. Anyway, every base in every system has some specialists sitting around, you just need to find a base with a scientist (it's always a Korvax).

ys45

Found a hauler when we restarted a couple days ago. Forget how many slots (42 possibly). We fixed it up and traded it in for an A Class fighter at the station. And very nice it is too.

Wait a min, you can sell your ship now ?
Or you get some kind of trade-in value ?

akileese

Those repair costs go up each time you repair one. I have a 27 slot ship with 2 slots still broken, costing 790k units each. It's gonna get costly!

Still worth it! It's far more advanced than the smaller ship I had and if it gets too costly, I can always sell it and swap for something more appropriate to my needs. I figured it can grow as my needs and ability to plunder do as well. Pretty much just one good planet of rare ore away from being able to build the whole thing out quickly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do the ship's value increase for trading if you fix the broken slots? Or is it just a money sink?

I think they do but im not sure.

quick question, can you do these sidequests in any system, and also hand them in in any system, or do you have to do/hand in gek sidequests in gek systems and so forth?

edgefusion

Still worth it! It's far more advanced than the smaller ship I had and if it gets too costly, I can always sell it and swap for something more appropriate to my needs. I figured it can grow as my needs and ability to plunder do as well. Pretty much just one good planet of rare ore away from being able to build the whole thing out quickly.

Definitely worth it! It'll still work out cheaper than an equivalent ship buying out-right.

akileese

Definitely worth it! It'll still work out cheaper than an equivalent ship buying out-right.

Yeah. It had a value of 43 million, but I think that was just the value in the current state (everything broken). I got it flying last night but the shields are still down. Tonight I'm going to keep harvesting rare ore off this planet and hit the trading outpost until the shields and hyperdrive are up. Should be able to do it tonight easily.

magawolaz

Do all ship in a space station eventually visit freighters? I found a cool ship that I want to buy, but it's not showing up in my freighter :'(

I think they do but im not sure.

quick question, can you do these sidequests in any system, and also hand them in in any system, or do you have to do/hand in gek sidequests in gek systems and so forth?

Yes, you can do them and hand them in in any system. There are some "item delivery" missions that require you to go to a specific system to deliver it, but you can still hand in the mission at any space station afterwards.

Top Bottom