• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This must be what people are talking about. But I don't have that option to build in my base

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Storage_Container

Is there something you have to do to get that option to build one? Do I need to do more of the base building quest-line?
I can't remember exactly but I think the answer is most likely yes to that. I remember them being one of the first things that were available to build...

Aenima

Ahhh... my OCD cant handle the new base building deforming the terrain permanently.

In previous version u could place a cubic room, and delete it that the terrain would go back to normal and grass would grow again, in this version the cubic rooms deform the terrain under it and grass will not grow again.

The good thing is that in this version you can build a base underground, but i love my grass intact, so i liked the base bulding from the old version a little more.

My solution for now is making a save, and build, if i make a mistake i just have to reload and build all over again. My precious grass :D

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm glad to hear that there are other options beyond farming, and I agree that the slower pace of schematics is better. I'd just prefer if I could more reliably find the schematics for some of the basic utilities earlier in the game. I think 15 hours is too long not to be able to dig into the ground, especially as that makes trying to loot downed freighters completely useless. I don't mind upgrades being spaced out, but I do mind not having access to what was a pretty basic functionality in 1.0.

I managed to find two multitools with the terrain manipulator already built in within a couple hours after starting. IIRC a Vykeen gave it to me at some point.

I'm glad to hear that there are other options beyond farming, and I agree that the slower pace of schematics is better. I'd just prefer if I could more reliably find the schematics for some of the basic utilities earlier in the game. I think 15 hours is too long not to be able to dig into the ground, especially as that makes trying to loot downed freighters completely useless. I don't mind upgrades being spaced out, but I do mind not having access to what was a pretty basic functionality in 1.0.

Yeah, I'm surprised to hear it's not an early blueprint reward. Kind of an essential tool for surviving storms. If you haven't, be sure to check out any multitools for sale in outposts; they'll often already have a grenade launcher upgrade.

E92 M3

Ahhh... my OCD cant handle the new base building deforming the terrain permanently.

In previous version u could place a cubic room, and delete it that the terrain would go back to normal and grass would grow again, in this version the cubic rooms deform the terrain under it and grass will not grow again.

The good thing is that in this version you can build a base underground, but i love my grass intact, so i liked the base bulding from the old version a little more.

My solution for now is making a save, and build, if i make a mistake i just have to reload and build all over again. My precious grass :D

How do you build underground?

Aenima

How do you build underground?

just place a cubic room, then place another one under it, u can keep placing more cubes under to go deeper, then u can place the other building too they all auto dig the land, and if u want u can delete all and stay with a underground base with sand walls.

I think u can also use the multi-tool new terrain editor to dig a hole and then start placing buldings underground, but digging with the cubes dont spend resorces. But with the multi-tool if u dont like what u done u can undo the holes, and with the bulding parts placing, the holes stay there permanently.

Its actually impressive the way u can manipulate the terrain. Not perfect for OCD ppl like me, but still impressive.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Yeah, I accidentally built a square room under another and it made a huge hole in the terrain.
I tried to fix it with the terrain tool, finally got something good (but wihout grass), went away from my base to get some Iron and when I went back the ground was all over the place.

So I finally built that room again and now I'm searching for another spot to build on as the terrain is messed up.

Too bad you can't flatten a surface like in Astroneer.

Hmm game crashes when it goes to loading shaders screen after I installed mods. I deleted them any it works fine anyway to get game to work without deleting them?

daxy

Hmm game crashes when it goes to loading shaders screen after I installed mods. I deleted them any it works fine anyway to get game to work without deleting them?

You probably have a conflicting mod somewhere or one that isn't compatible with the latest update. Add them back one by one to figure out which of them is causing it.

E92 M3

just place a cubic room, then place another one under it, u can keep placing more cubes under to go deeper, then u can place the other building too they all auto dig the land, and if u want u can delete all and stay with a underground base with sand walls.

I think u can also use the multi-tool new terrain editor to dig a hole and then start placing buldings underground, but digging with the cubes dont spend resorces. But with the multi-tool if u dont like what u done u can undo the holes, and with the bulding parts placing, the holes stay there permanently.

Its actually impressive the way u can manipulate the terrain. Not perfect for OCD ppl like me, but still impressive.

Thanks, will try!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Am I supposed to just randomly meet
Travelers
in space stations? I just did, long before I got to that "reveal" in the story (if it's meant as one). In fact, that quest line disappeared, and I now just have the Atlas stuff. It's so weird, I'm pretty sure this isn't playing out the way I've seen it happen on streams.

SomTervo

Travelers
in space stations? I just did, long before I got to that "reveal" in the story (if it's meant as one). In fact, that quest line disappeared, and I now just have the Atlas stuff. It's so weird, I'm pretty sure this isn't playing out the way I've seen it happen on streams.

You can't see the quest line in the Log screen under the Atlas one?

webrunner

You can't see the quest line in the Log screen under the Atlas one?

sometimes you need to do a scan on a planet or fly out into space or whatever for it to continue, i've noticed.

but yeah sometimes you see
traveller
npcs in space stations and trading posts.

SomTervo

Are there new biomes and fauna?

Biomes and fauna yes, there are new exotic ones, but iirc only as you proceed to the center of the galaxy.

They rejigged the proc gen so everything is mixed up terrain wise again. I've found some really cool vistas and landscapes a few hours into a new save.

Yes and yes.

And good lord this thread. I take it this is basically serving as the new OT?

It's pretty crazy, i guess the update is so substantial it's valid to sustain it.

More wide shots.

c7Ve2vJ.jpg

fZYNHqw.jpg

BKr3q8H.jpg

xYDLPGz.jpg

A lot more here. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT..._my_best_219_3440_x_1440p_screenshots_i_hope/

edit: gotta post this one too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That patch sounds great. Look forward to its formal rollout. Those cargo slots could be real useful.

Anyone else thinks that n clusters should just be straight currency instead of taking inventory space?
Maybe. I think it's to incentivize you spend them when you can rather than hoard until you have enough and the proper standing to purchase certain ones.

Make sure they're all compatible with version 1.3, then try installing one at a time and testing until you get a crash so you can identify which mod specifically is causing it. There can also be conflicts between mods. Trying one at a time helps isolate which one is problematic.

Are there new biomes and fauna?

Yes to biomes, no to fauna. But the flora seems at least somewhat updated. I'm hoping fauna will get a big overhaul next update, as they need both more diversity and better AI and animation.

OT2 still exists, but it got put in Community jail so not many go there. Seems like it would be a good idea to put it back in the main discussion forum, but I don't know the rules for that.

GodofWine

No Man's Sky actually made the top 10 selling games on Steam again.

Pretty crazy for a patch.

Which is great, because it will continue to give HG the incentive to continue developing updates. They probably paid for their efforts and more over the past year just with 1.3.

~Kinggi~

Banned
HG standard 60% Sale + Update is always reliable to get the game back to #1 while its on sale. Thats a pretty good, controlled money generator.

Raven77

The one thing I REALLY wish this game had (maybe it does now?) is different gravity levels. I know this would be really hard to pull off but I would love to find a planet with low gravity and just stunt around in the ground vehicle, etc.

Kard8p3

So, assuming you can get this for cheap, is the new update worth it for a player who got burned on the inital release and refunded?

belvedere

Junior Butler
So, assuming you can get this for cheap, is the new update worth it for a player who got burned on the inital release and refunded?

Only you know what you'll like, so who knows.

That said. There's now more focus if that's what you need via a 30 hour story. More planet/biome variation, dynamic mission systems at space stations, working portals and even a limited form of multiplayer where you can engage in "joint exploration". HG made it clear they intend on evolving MP a lot further.

There's way too much to list here but IIRC there's patch notes and the trailer in the OP.

Cess007

I asked this on the Community thread, but got no answer.

Yesterday I started my save from scratch. Fooled around a bit in Creative Mode, but in before going to bed I started one in Normal mode. Do all starter planets have some kind of environmental hazard? I restarted 5 or 6 times, and I always got acid rain, heat, toxic weather, etc; so I stayed in the last one (frozen planet). I want to know just to see if I stay on this planet or try my luck until I get a starter planet without any bad weather.

Lamptramp

Well, wow.

I started from scratch and have been mostly pottering with bases and rep missions, while teleporting to and from my base and the surrounding stars to scratch the explore itch and grab blueprints from the 3 species. I've ignored the old vanilla paths for now and just been dipping into the new "First Traveller" quest now and then. Until tonight .

While I thought the vanilla paths did little to entertain the new content has been pretty good, maybe its the linking to the ARG that's helped given it depth but its head and shoulders better than launch. I've no Idea how far I'm through but
I got flung through a portal into an atmospheric first meeting then ditched with a broken ship god knows how many light years away and ended up agonising about what to do when forced to make a choice. I'm now far from where I started with Nada and Polo blinking into existence in front of me and the bar staff at the local Space station is a fellow traveller
and its just a bit bloody good.

Kard8p3

The ๖ۜBronx;246288010 said:
I think you just missed the £10 or $24 sales, not sure.

As for is it worth it, depends what you were looking for that wasn't there at launch.

Darn. Ah well, I'm kinda broke at the moment anyway!

Only you know what you'll like, so who knows.

That said. There's now more focus if that's what you need via a 30 hour story. More planet/biome variation, dynamic mission systems at space stations, working portals and even a limited form of multiplayer where you can engage in "joint exploration". HG made it clear they intend on evolving MP a lot further.

There's way too much to list here but IIRC there's patch notes and the trailer in the OP.

Mmm, that does sound interesting, especially the dynamic missions. That probably would've kept me around at launch.

tyty, I will be keeping an eye on the game, even though I told myself I'd never buy it again, lmao.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I noticed the other day while roaming around a planet that God rays appear to be in the PS4 version now. Looks really good. I'm playing on PS4 Pro, so I'm not sure if it's on vanilla PS4's or not.

I've been loving this update so far. Outside of my base being underground and inaccessible, and one crash, I haven't run into any crazy bugs or issues.

Some of the new biomes are fucking creepy and awesome. The one with the weird pillars is probably my favorite so far. It didn't hurt that it was a desolate looking planet, with a great night time color palette.

I'm trying to play my new games, but I keep getting sucked back into NMS. I've already sunk over 11 hours into this update, and I've barely done anything beyond just exploring, doing missions, and the occasional bounty. I finally upgraded my ship from a 26 slotter to 30, so I'm now working on making money again, so I can upgrade again. I still haven't figured out what I need to do to access the extra cargo storage for my suit, and finding warp reactor blueprints for my freighter.

SomTervo

Guys, not to start a war but I'm torn between elite dangerous and this... PS4 Pro btw.

No war needed. They're both great but very different.

Elite is a simulator. Lots of detail, intense depth. No (or limited) planetary exploration: it's a space sim. Get ready to spend a lot of time docking, zipping between star systems, mining. I mean "a lot of time" seriously - minutes to dock, minutes to travel, micromanagement of systems including communication lines, ship control, etc. It's also got a huge online component - pvp piracy, economy, exploration efforts, questing, etc. No overarching story with structure - just a nicely developed universe and secrets being gradually unveiled.

NMS is much simpler in terms of mechanics. Quick docking, travel, inventory and menu management. You still spend a lot of time mining and "grinding" but the minutiae is fast and imo more compelling. Seamless travel between space, ships, planets. An actual overarching story. Singleplayer only atm.

Elite is like living a hard late sci-fi novel. NMS is like living a trippy early sci-fi novel.

Drifters

The ๖ۜBronx;246287280 said:
Do you prefer the idea of going to space as we recognise it, or going into the world of 70's Sci-Fi book covers and artwork by people like Chris Foss?
I like both? I guess my point is if I'm going to invest time into one, which is the better bet?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

That's actually super cool
Travelers
Travelers, while I'm not surprised they link into the story, can just show up randomly from time to time now as I understand it.

If that quest line isn't in your log at all any more, I believe following the Atlas path a bit is suggested to get back on.
Yes and yes.

I would like that. The community OT is fine but not everyone knows to go there and there is a LOT of new blood in here. This is very much a "current event." Hell there's a hotfix patch being pushed today, with more to come in the next couple weeks I'd think.
No Man's Sky actually made the top 10 selling games on Steam again.

Pretty crazy for a patch.
That is nuts. Just crazy.
Guys, not to start a war but I'm torn between elite dangerous and this... PS4 Pro btw.
I like both? I guess my point is if I'm going to invest time into one, which is the better bet?
Anyone who tells you there is a clear answer to this (that is not based on what you're personally looking for) is insane.

mokeyjoe

Mmm, that does sound interesting, especially the dynamic missions. That probably would've kept me around at launch.

tyty, I will be keeping an eye on the game, even though I told myself I'd never buy it again, lmao.

Lol, well my answer was brief, but one important thing we now know is that this game will continue to get very substantial updates for a long time yet. Nobody knew what the post launch support was going to be like, and now it's quite clear it's good. So even if you find it lacking now, in a few months, in a year... you'll have even more game for your initial outlay.

It's still not perfect, but it's worth the money,

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Are you on PC or PS4?

Top Bottom