• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The ๖ۜBronx;246307724 said:
Fair play, being honest I've only recently got into GAF having dropped off years ago after first registering. The constant lack of discourse and just rampant outrage on Reddit finally wore thin so I came for a peek here and have barely looked back since. Actually nice to be able to have a conversation about things again. As a result though I'm a little unfamiliar with the faces around here and may lack some of the long-standing knowledge.

That's all to say I didn't mean to tread on your toes and imply ignorance, just wanted to explain as it's, as you say, hard to put down concisely.
Oh yeah, no worries at all. Just trying to think of a way to put it into the post, I really appreciate the contribution as I'd completely forgot about it.
Oh also from the little I have heard I hear you're a Destiny guy? Have over a thousand hours myself and fell into it in a way I haven't for any game really. Look forward to seeing you in the Destiny 2 post, unless of course I'm completely mistaken, in which case.. that's embarrassing. Oh well, almost three in the morning and I really should make some effort to sleep.
Haha yep... I was a little into it

Just found these flying caterpillars

62E2A4FA49764F6AEB8536058B90524C91CA906A

Is there any way to move your base later? I started building one and didn't payed attention to the fact that this moon is radioactive /facepalm

mokeyjoe

I understand your point. It may be impossible on PS4 level hardware.. But there's gotta be a better sweet spot than what we have right now. Elite and Space Engine does this pretty well.. Obviously the procedural generation of NMS is a whole other beast.. But maybe generating a very low res representation of each planet's terrain while also looking decent might be feasible.. I don't know..

But I'm sure that doing it well is no walk on the park..

Maybe, but I think they'd have to rewrite the engine or something. There's a space to planet transition when you descend into the atmosphere where the planet actually generates. The game would have to 'visit' and map the terrain of each planet and generate a low res texture of that when you warped into the system each time. I suppose it's possible, but it might yield horrible load times.

I'm not too bothered with the way it is at the moment, but if they introduce planets with a more continent-based type of geography, then you'd definitely want a better representation from space, otherwise it would be extremely jarring. I suppose they could just swathe it in cloud, lol.

E92 M3

I'm really excited for the next update - don't even know what to expect any more from HG. They have been surprising me all year.

Unicorn

3c3jad4.jpg

I will update it once new mods are released. I have tested them all together but not extensively because the NMS world is so big! There is no guarantee they will perfectly for everyone all the time.

WARNING: Please backup your save game files first, remove the disablemods.txt file in PCBANKS if it exists and delete the shader cache before loading the game up with mods.

Thank you so much for these suggestions! I'm currently trying to figure out what to enable on the Shaidak Better Generation mod. In the .zip there's a ton of different .pak files and I"m trying to figure out what they mean. Not documented well in the description on the mod page.

Ideally I'd want a more realistic approach to generation with not every planet having giant fauna. I assume these are random and peppered to not feel homogeneous, but there are medium, low, and high packs (as well as weird version packs). What are the differences between them? Or are they all supposed to be put into the MODS folder?

Is there any way to move your base later? I started building one and didn't payed attention to the fact that this moon is radioactive /facepalm

Here's ones from my home planet:

theWB27

Thats awesome and yes... you can change it as much as you want as long as you have the resources and the planet has a home base.

I understand your point. It may be impossible on PS4 level hardware.. But there's gotta be a better sweet spot than what we have right now. Elite and Space Engine does this pretty well.. Obviously the procedural generation of NMS is a whole other beast.. But maybe generating a very low res representation of each planet's terrain while also looking decent might be feasible.. I don't know..

But I'm sure that doing it well is no walk on the park..

It sounds tricky to implement. It would have to first load a low-level version of the entire visible planet (and nearby moons) and an increasingly higher-level version as you pulse into orbit. The game already has trouble loading planets quick enough in orbit to avoid pop-in and that awful pixellation effect.

But I'm sure it's something that Sean and Co. would love to implement it in the future, so fingers crossed.

Minamu

I made 10,000,000 units today selling liquid explosives. 200 cactus flesh, 600 fungal mold, 25 mordite and you can build it. Each one sells for 1,000,000 units. Super easy.
Hey nice, time to get to work on those moulds then. I need to find a desert planet for the cacti as well :/

Pygrus

I finally found a somewhat peaceful planet on survival. The sentinels are usually aggressive but i am just killing them before they even get a chance to attack me.

Going to put my base here, screw the sentinels.

I still have not picked up the next part of the awakening quest line, even though I have already met nada and polo

Thank you so much for these suggestions! I'm currently trying to figure out what to enable on the Shaidak Better Generation mod. In the .zip there's a ton of different .pak files and I"m trying to figure out what they mean. Not documented well in the description on the mod page.

Ideally I'd want a more realistic approach to generation with not every planet having giant fauna. I assume these are random and peppered to not feel homogeneous, but there are medium, low, and high packs (as well as weird version packs). What are the differences between them? Or are they all supposed to be put into the MODS folder?

Low, Medium and High is the added density. Use Low unless your PC is a beast. The Weird files add a chance of something being generating in a biome it doesn't really belong in, if you want further variety at the cost of cohesive biomes. The mod doesn't affect desert and barren planets unless you use one of the Weird files, so you'll notice the mod most on lush/tropical style planets where the vegetation is a bit lacking in the vanilla game, IMO. You can tell they didn't want the vegetation to be too taxing on console and low-end PCs.

Just to be clear about this mod: It does not create new vegetation assets. It just pulls unused assets from the game's own database to add variety. The biomes still look "right" just more immersive, at least from what I've seen so far. Highly forested areas will incur a decent fps loss, especially when combined with the Lush Grass Distance mod.

Make sure you delete the shader cache first and are off planet before loading the mod. I didn't once and was shot up into the air from a trading post and was lucky enough to be able to jetpack back to safety :)

qcf x2

How ? they have tiny wings!
haha

Maybe they're light or mostly gas. Which reminds me, variable gravity should have been a thing in NMS by now :(

I saw a derpy looking creature just like that on a tiny moon with purple/blue grass and red lakes with a couple of death worms hiding in the water.

Neith

Banned
I think I might pick this up on the next big patch. It's still not quite where I want it, but does look amazing more and more.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finally got a planet with oceans. Even had to go swimming to get some beacons down there for the
Artemis
quest. Was annoying since I dont have the oxigen upgrade.

How long until im done with this quest anyway, I went in
the portal, got back in my ship, found the artemis hologram and apparently hes dead
. Thats where I stopped.

Unicorn

Low, Medium and High is the added density. Use Low unless your PC is a beast. The Weird files add a chance of something being generating in a biome it doesn't really belong in, if you want further variety at the cost of cohesive biomes. The mod doesn't affect desert and barren planets unless you use one of the Weird files, so you'll notice the mod most on lush/tropical style planets where the vegetation is a bit lacking in the vanilla game, IMO. You can tell they didn't want the vegetation to be too taxing on console and low-end PCs.

Just to be clear about this mod: It does not create new vegetation assets. It just pulls unused assets from the game's own database to add variety. The biomes still look "right" just more immersive, at least from what I've seen so far. Highly forested areas will incur a decent fps loss, especially when combined with the Lush Grass Distance mod.

Make sure you delete the shader cache first and are off planet before loading the mod. I didn't once and was shot up into the air from a trading post and was lucky enough to be able to jetpack back to safety :)

Opted for Medium, but had memory leaks and crashed. Will try Low later.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Does first load of a new game usually take so long to load? Running this off an SSD and its stuck at loading shaders and has been for at least a good three to five minutes.

Does first load of a new game usually take so long to load? Running this off an SSD and its stuck at loading shaders and has been for at least a good three to five minutes.

It takes a long time to load shaders on first load. Not usually 3-5 minutes, but yeah. It's generating the whole of shadercache from nothing. Subsequent loads take 10-15 seconds rather than minutes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

yes. I thought the game had crashed.

Question you need vync to fully on then triple buffering?

Why not just triple buffering?

Not sure I'm following you...

Triple buffering is a form of v sync, but needs v sync to function (highly scientific explanation).

You need to turn off v sync in the game b cause their implementation is bad. Enable v sync in NVCP as well as triple buffering (double buffering locks you to either 30 or 60 typically, so if you can't hold locked 60, you're in for a bad time)

Does that help?

yes. I thought the game had crashed.

Yup. First load is a long one. On a Sammy Evo here and still took awhile.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Those flying caterpillars are awesome.

Is the patch expected to drop on PS4 tomorrow? Any ideas of what all it fixes?

When I don't know but there is like a beta patch on PC right now. Should prevent from hitting the same wall I did with a blueprint you need to continue the main story. If you warp to far from where this mission was given to you , you cannot find back that system. It says to go to your base via the teleporter but from there, no access to the main mission system it started at. The patch seems to fix it for those who are not there yet but I am ... so I guess this will be patched next week .. I guess

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6u3iq6/new_experimental_patch_on_steam/

Sarcasm

Not sure I'm following you...

Triple buffering is a form of v sync, but needs v sync to function (highly scientific explanation).

You need to turn off v sync in the game b cause their implementation is bad. Enable v sync in NVCP as well as triple buffering (double buffering locks you to either 30 or 60 typically, so if you can't hold locked 60, you're in for a bad time)

Does that help?

Yup. First load is a long one. On a Sammy Evo here and still took awhile.

No its off ingame. In the NVCP you can turn vsync on and triple buffering at same time. Though..I have triple off and fast for the vsync and the game is great =D

Don't plan on base building yet because the new storyline, missions and mod testing are keeping me busy but I claimed one on this planet (which I named Tequila Sunrise in the Raxxilon-V system) because it has the most beautiful sunrise I've seen in my 390 hours play time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't plan on base building yet because the new storyline, missions and mod testing are keeping me busy but I claimed one on this planet (which I named Tequila Sunrise in the Raxxilon-V system) because it has the most beautiful sunrise I've seen in my 390 hours play time.
beautiful.. well named since the whole planet is seemingly affected.

man Monoliths are just pure sci-fi cool

blackw0lf

Base Building mission says I'm supposed to get a scientist from a space station for my science terminal, but I've been to several but can't find one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got my first Fauna Scanner upgrade. 50 more Nanites and I can grab the Flora one too, but I need to craaash :(
Base Building mission says I'm supposed to get a scientist from a space station for my science terminal, but I've been to several but can't find one.
I believe you need to visit a Korvax system my man

PepperedHam

One of my main quests rolled back for some reason. My Atlas Path quest went back like two steps and I'm standing outside of my base, yet it tells me my base is 2 hours away.... :(

Yeah, I'm not sure what the hell happened to the clouds on PS4. They weren't great before granted. However, I think the update notes mentioned "improved weather". Having no clouds at all isn't improved. Lol.

The weather is one of the few aspects that got worse with the update. Perhaps it's a bug though? Not sure if Hello Games has acknowledged it though.

I'm not sure if HG has actually acknowledged it, but it seems to be a bug. I've had several planets with an ugly black mask in the sky where it seems like the clouds should be. Really hope they fix it soon. I mean the clouds look...horrible, but better than the glitched stuff. I was really hoping in 1.3 we'd finally get that new cloud rendering tech Sean said was coming way back in 1.03, but nope. Maybe they haven't been able to get it to an acceptable performance.

before I do it

When I'm going to use/load a mod(Using visual mods~) I delete the SHADERCACHE folder? Or the stuff inside?
I don't think doing that is even necessary anymore, but if you want to be safe you can delete the whole folder or just everything inside doesn't really matter.

Are you checking korvax stations?

Trojan

3c3jad4.jpg

I will update it once new mods are released. I have tested them all together but not extensively because the NMS world is so big! There is no guarantee they will perfectly for everyone all the time.

*snip*

Thanks for putting this together! Def want to follow this setup and see how different the game looks.

For those that installed most of the above mods from vanilla, what type of FPS drop are you seeing? I've got an overheard of about 10-15 frames I can give up; if it's much more than that I'll need to bump down resolution or some of the graphics settings.

If you only had time for one or none and had not played either would you go for no mans sky or elite dangerous, on ps4, in their current forms and including likely future trajectory?
I am leaning to elite dangerous but not sure about the grinding.

wth it's like a sea cucumber with lips lol

I get a lot of those "flying caterpillars" too but they usually actually look like eels or centipedes... that said, I pretty much only ever go search and land on desert/fiery/snow planets (looking for the perfect home base planet) so maybe I need spend more time on lush, paradise, or otherwise jungle planets where all kinds of weird shit spawns that I probably never see haha

blackw0lf

Think my base building mission got screwed up. I recruited the scientist. They told me to go get cave marrow and they would give me voltaic cell blueprint. But the mission log didn't register this, and instead told me to talk to overseer. When I talked to overseer, overseer told me to talk to scientist to get voltaic cells. So now my mission log tells me to make two voltaic cells, but I don't have blueprints. And I got a bunch of marrow, but the scientist doesn't recognize it.

Seems maybe I talked the scientist before talking to overseer accidentally?

nvm figured it out. Scientist mission was a separate mission on the log.

mauaus

Make sure you have enough marrow, 100 if im not mistaken and then pick a differentmission in the log and then switch it back. Worked for me

Neith

Banned
It seems like in 6 months or so this game is really going to be a great game.

I hope the Christmas sale and reviews can turn this game around a bit. I know Sean lied a bit, but the reaction was pretty crazy with this game. IMO.

Stay humble dude.

Mutant

A8nSBMK.png

The early phase of the game needs some rework to change from being a nigh torturous grind fest, and boy they need to focus on bug fixes. But... It's a pretty good game now, all things considered. Ya did it, Sean Murray.
Thats awesome and yes... you can change it as much as you want as long as you have the resources and the planet has a home base.

Warning tho, changing your home planet may break quest lines.

HOWEVER. I discovered that if you go back to the old home planet and make it your base planet again, the quest lines will be fixed once again.

Hey @Hawkian, you said that I should try deselecting the current system in the galaxy map Free Mode in order to freely cruise around like the old free mode. Except I can't figure out how to deselect the current system. Like I can move around, but the camera is constantly fixed on that system.

edit: nevermind, it's the Circle button (on PS4). Would be nice if it actually showed all the control options...

It seems like in 6 months or so this game is really going to be a great game.
Yeah hopefully they continue to support it like a sort of Minecraft. Adding more asynchronous features like Discoveries for the shared universe and even synchronous stuff like the new 'see other players as orbs,' they could really turn it into almost like a MMO in terms of lifespan. It doesn't need to be Massively Multiplayer but just that sense of being in a shared world really helps keep you playing because you feel like you're exploring something, building something, making progress in something that's a shared experience -- even if its asynchronous. Even if I never directly see another player, there's a still an underlying motivation that comes from knowing someone else could see my by base or see a planet I discovered.

They could really build on that with even more asynchronous exploration features: map the galaxy together; see the Economies (trade routes or where people buy/sold) of other players, like one day you're cruising through the Galaxy Map with the Economy Scanner set to a theoretically 'Player Economy filter' turned on, and you see a red line where one player bought Fusion Cores on 1 planet and the lines goes to where they sold it and crashed Fusion Core prices.

Sort of like an economic version of Zelda Breath of the Wild's new Hero's Path. Or, just that sort of Filter even for exploration where you could randomly go across another Interloper... I mean, Explorer's Path.

Anything like that, really, plus just more content for the general Survive-Explore-Prosper trinity like they've been doing, and they could keep it as a pretty common 'weekly game' that people pop in every once in a while just make a little progress here and there, see how the universe is going.

pmj

I think I fucked up. I started the weapons research mission involving killing sentinels in space, and in no way is my ship, nor me, up to that task. Actually getting hits in is really hard, and even when I do, damage is minimal. Their shots absolutely wreck me. Upgrading my ship requires nickel, and I have none of that. And even if I had nickel and could upgrade my ship, space combat seems hard and not something I want to. Now these fuckers are instantly scanning and attacking me while in space in any system it seems.

I'd roll back if I could, but I have no savegame before accepting the mission. Am I fucked?

I think I fucked up. I started the weapons research mission involving killing sentinels in space, and in no way is my ship, nor me, up to that task. Actually getting hits in is really hard, and even when I do, damage is minimal. Their shots absolutely wreck me. Upgrading my ship requires nickel, and I have none of that. And even if I had nickel and could upgrade my ship, space combat seems hard and not something I want to. Now these fuckers are instantly scanning and attacking me while in space in any system it seems.

I'd roll back if I could, but I have no savegame before accepting the mission. Am I fucked?

I haven't tried this myself but Reddit said that the mission resets if you delete the weapons terminal guy and then place him again.

That particular quest bugged out on me. I left the system, got a Wanted Lvl 5 but no Sentinels showed up and my audio glitched. Since the mission simply states to defeat 3 Sentinel ships I provoked the Sentinels on the ground and left the planet when they were pissed off. However, compared to the quest, they spawned at lvl1 which is infinitely easier to deal with.

before I do it

When I'm going to use/load a mod(Using visual mods~) I delete the SHADERCACHE folder? Or the stuff inside?

Just the contents of SHADERCACHE each time before you add another mod. It will regenerate the files again when you load your game.

Thanks for putting this together! Def want to follow this setup and see how different the game looks.

For those that installed most of the above mods from vanilla, what type of FPS drop are you seeing? I've got an overheard of about 10-15 frames I can give up; if it's much more than that I'll need to bump down resolution or some of the graphics settings.

Most of them don't have much effect on fps because they just replace textures with slightly better looking ones or tweak gameplay elements. Intensive mods I've noted as such. I've updated my guide.

eJAaiI6.jpg

I will update it as new mods are released. I have tested them all together but not extensively because the NMS world is so big! There is no guarantee they will perfectly for everyone all the time. Please report any issues to me and I'll try to help and contact the mod makers to let them know.

WARNING: Please backup your save game files first (AppData/Roaming/Hello Games), remove the disablemods.txt file in PCBANKS if it exists and delete the contents of SHADERCACHE each time before loading the game with new mods. Also make sure you last saved on a space station because occasionally the mods can cause problems if you are in your ship or standing on terrain.

Quality of Life Mods:

Faster Actions with Optional Smaller Cursor (medium option recommended to avoid accidental clicks) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/440/?
Clean UI (disables Vignette/Chromatic Aberration/Scan Lines, adds UI jagged line smoothing) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/395/?
More Visible HUD indicators (Shield/Jetpack/Stamina/Scanner icons easier to see against light and dark backgrounds) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/424/?
Tag Icon Replacer (replaces the low-res white marker) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/455/?
Silence Tip Chirp Sound (removes the annoying quest tip sound effects) - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/silence-tip-chirp-sound/
Old Binocular Background (if you don't like the Atlas version) - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/old-binocular-background-for-atlas-rises/

Space Mods:

Space Dream All-in-One (Starry Nebulae Sky, Ringed Planets, Binary Planets, Rotating Cloud Shader, Optional Dark Space with or without Nebulae) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/451/?
Starry Nebulae Sky & Colored Starfields for Galaxy Map (separate mod required to enable Colored Starfields for Galaxy Map - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/445/?
Dud's Sky All-inOne (recommended files are: Spaceship Flight/Asteroid/Asteroid Effects/Creature Distance/Flight Atmosphere) - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/duds-sky/
No More Extreme Speed Lines - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/no-speedlines/
No More Space Dust and Space Plasma - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/457/?

Cloud Mods:

True Clouds (improved volume/draw distance/color/lighting, can introduce pixellation near the horizon) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/448/?
Better HD Clouds (higher resolution clouds when viewed from a distance) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/460/?

Ship Mods:

Better Ship Seat Position - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/454/?
Custom Ship Monitors - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/456/?
Blue Ship HUD (changes color of monitors to match new center console) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/397/?
Starship out of Range (boosts starship inventory transfer distance) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/439/?

Terrain, Water & Vegetation Mods:

Shaidak's Generation (enhances biome generation with more diverse flora--including unused trees from NMS's own database--increased size and optional increased density, *fps intensive*) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/407/?
Lush Grass Distance (medium option recommended, *for high-end PCs only*) - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/lush-grass-distance/
Tropical and Humid Planets Temperature Fix (changes unrealistic temperature ranges and weather) - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/tropical-and-humid-planets-temperature-fix/
NoFade FPS Booster (removes pixellation rendering effect of Terrain & Water to increase fps at the cost of more pop-in, *use Terrain-only version if you use True Water*) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/441/?
True Water (reduced foam so water no longer looks like concrete, adds reflections, removes fully transparent water from high altitude) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/458/?
Tides & Waves (Makes water animated) - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/459/?

Lighting Mods:

ReShade (my own personal settings to improve the game's washed-out Contrast and offset DSR blur with Sharpening, all files and README included, easily tweakble) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqbftxxk6pa3qy8/NMS ReShade.zip?dl=0
Toned Down Lens Flares - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/425/?
Lens Flare Remover (Only use one of the lens flare mods at a time) - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/lens-flare-remover-atlas-edition/

Other:

Atlas Rises Splash Screen Logo - https://nomansskymods.com/mods/atlas-rises-splash-screen-logo/

Performance Tips:

This is my config file for 60fps+ stutter-free Vanilla NMS at 1080p on a mid-to-high end PC (old overclocked i7, 16Gb slow DDR, 1070 GTX overclocked). Also, in Nvidia I have Prefer Maximum Performance and set Frame Rate Limiter to 90. Even with all these mods installed the game is still playable at worst. Base building limit tweaks are optional and can make base building buggy. For people struggling with low fps, try lowering Shadow Detail & Reflections and disabling Light Shafts first. TAA and Texture Detail have a greater impact on visual quality, IMO. FOV=140 in the config is equal to in-game FOV of 100 but it resets to 100 in the config if you change any settings in the game menu. If you get stuttering, enable vsync and triple buffering in the drivers. Keep vsync disabled in-game. BACKUP YOUR SAVE GAME, MAIN CACHE AND CURRENT CONFIG FILES FIRST JUST TO BE SAFE.

TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Data template="TkGraphicsSettings">
<Property name="Version" value="2" />
<Property name="FullScreen" value="false" />
<Property name="Borderless" value="true" />
<Property name="Monitor" value="0" />
<Property name="MonitorNames">
<Property name="MonitorNames_00" value="0|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070|Alienware AW2310 (Digital)" />
</Property>
<Property name="UseScreenResolution" value="true" />
<Property name="ResolutionWidth" value="1920" />
<Property name="ResolutionHeight" value="1080" />
<Property name="VsyncEx" value="Off" />
<Property name="GSync" value="false" />
<Property name="ShadowDetail" value="High" />
<Property name="TextureDetail" value="Ultra" />
<Property name="GenerationDetail" value="Normal" />
<Property name="ReflectionsQuality" value="High" />
<Property name="AntiAliasingEx2" value="TAA" />
<Property name="MotionBlurQuality" value="Off" />