• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No plans to bring Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 to the West; Developer fears backlash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Seems like a "Lets save money" move instead since this game is supposed to be relatively niche, right? I don't know much about the series though. Do they make big sales in the West? If it has English subtitles I would think this is the plan all along.

I don't know; K-T has brought over some really obscure shit over the years, and this had the benefit of being tied to a fairly well known franchise.

sensui-tomo

So... Anita Sarkeesian wins?

She has nothing to do with this game what-so-ever. :/ Is it graveyard time for this thread already?

I don't know; T-K has brought over some really obscure shit over the years, and this had the benefit of being tied to a fairly well known franchise.

Hell they're bringing that expansion to that dungeon maker/trap maker thing over here, hell i dont think that game even sold well over here so it does seem odd if we go the sales route. (note the only thing i know about that expansion is that a Suezo from monster rancher is in it)

Hastati

Ggggglad I preordered. My first time playing an extreme game, somewhat excited. Mostly feeling pangs of guilt. Hopefully the roster gets expanded quickly!

Oh, it's 'XTREME.' Right.

Honestly, I find this kind of argumentation disingenuous. At worst, I think this is a niche product that may have been the kind of "we might break even or do a little better" that they would have considered before, but concerns about the current social climate are just the tipping factor. The narrative that they want to bring this product over and they know fans want this game brought over but they won't because of a fear of backlash is just silly. If there was a belief that there was money to be made, they'd bring it over. I'm to believe that they're leaving money on the table here just because they're disinterested in potentially having to respond to some criticism?

Given that Koei Tecmo tends to release all their games in the West, even their more niche titles, it's safe to assume there was something about this game in particular that made them decide differently.

Yep i sure this game would get more sales than some of the JRPG KT bring over for eg .
So something had to make them think twice about it or maybe the being lazy time will tell .

Cry me a fucking river. That's all on the publisher. That they don't want to release the game because they fear bad publicity in the west would outweigh good word of mouth is a business decision.

If you seriously want this game, just let it be known by the publisher.

OrochiJR

I was planning to order the Asian version from Play-Asia anyway. Looking forward to enjoying the game in its original glory. I urge anyone to do the same, PS4 is region free anyway and the Asian version has English subtitles.

mollipen

I fail to see how this is a bad decision. The people have spoken and K-T clearly understands such misogynistic games will no longer be tolerated in the west.

Misogynistic: One who hates or mistrusts women.

Let's see you actually explain how the DOAX games are that.

Ricitor

While this is a bit disappointing, the English option is there via the Asian version for those who really want it (like myself). If that was not available then I would be extremely pissed off, but as it is now, a shame, but not the end of the world.

dottme

So... Anita Sarkeesian wins?

Yes. She has a lot of influence now with a "politically correct message" and a publisher doesn't want to risk the rest of their line up for one game.

I know Jim Sterling is going after Tecmo Koei, but the issue is not over there and I understand their choice. They don't want to risk the rest of their line up because one game will come back in the discussion again and again for being an over sexualized underage girl mating game.

mdubs

Banned
This is a dumb decision by KT. They should be standing by their game, and besides, what are the realistic consequences of the backlash for them? It doesn't seem likely that the people who might bring the backlash KT is supposedly afraid of are going boycott the next Atelier or Dynasty Warriors game over this and even if they did, that's probably like 3 copies considering who small the crossover would likely be. The only ones here who they risk losing business from are their fans who would have bought this game, what a weird decision.

The Jim Sterling quote is more or less right, I don't buy KT's reasoning.

Corpekata

Banned
Did any of the people that they're afraid of even talk about this series much? Like, I'm sure it got some dismissive comments here or there but I didn't see much about the previous game. It was more controversial for ridiculous DLC schemes and a KT trademark shitty PC port.

Sanpunkan

And you don't have to play it.

Right. And I won't.

Maybe I am missing something. Has there already been backlash? OP makes it sound like they just want to avoid the possibility.

I fail to see how any backlash would affect the sales of the game anyway. It's not like people buying it don't know exactly what they're getting. I'm thinking it's just more convenient to say that than "we don't think we'll make enough money".

Could've seen it coming eventually with how everyone is trying to out outrage each other. Just by looking at this forum over the years and how the atmosphere turned from fun to frustration. Every thread will somehow steer towards some social justice injected into it. Are they even planning on getting the game? Probably not. Do they even care about the game in the first place? Probably not. Just seeing it as a target for their cause nothing more. Boycott this, ban that.

This is the result of letting people that don't care for games itself to in general to overrun the conversation. Seems like they got what they want.

Ferr986

This is funny, as if anyone who would have bought DOAX3 would have cared what anyone said about the game?

And lol, so many jumping on blaming "politically correct warriors," as someone put it here.

Anita, SJW, fanpics from devianart... people is spinning shit hard so they don't have to blame Tecmo.

I blame the publisher sure. But in no way do people who constantly have a problem with something like an ass slap get off easy either. Both played a major part and its a damn shame i have to import. (,inb4 lol anime avatar)

Jamie OD

Is Marie Rose really that much of a hot topic for this game? I know she's way more petite than the other characters, but I was under the impression that she's always been legal, unlike the funny business that keeps happening with Kasumi and Ayane.

Team Ninja is a little on the nose with it. The 3DS DOA game caused some trouble in Sweden because some of the female characters at the time were underaged. Marie is Swedish and her birthday just so happens to be the same date as the National Day of Sweden. Coincidence?

IcyEyes

I have no words.
This is sad and no one wins ... Except a very hurtful minority.

It's a pity they fear a backlash because of a few people, who have a lot of time to spend on the web, rise their flags loaded with egoism and lie.

Maybe they should gather better information about what west reality is.

To those saying none of the girls are underage, a few of them definitely look underage, and I think that's what bothers people more, especially in a game where the main point is to dress them up and ogle at them.

sensui-tomo

This is fanart.

Wait till someone posts one of those pics made from that steam engine thingy (whatever the guys at Studio FOW use ...... if anyone does a search on them... its extremely NSFW ... like you'll loose that job if you look at them) and says its from the game. I'm not sure the reasons for this game not being a digital only release though, due to some of their titles selling pretty shitty that werent Musou titles.

I fail to see how this is a bad decision. The people have spoken and K-T clearly understands such misogynistic games will no longer be tolerated in the west.

It's bad because some people in the west want to buy it. Why in the fuck should it matter if someone else doesn't like it? The fact that you don't want the game shouldn't mean that I can't have it.

This notion that the game needs the approval of groups that aren't interested in it to begin with is ridiculous and a completely regressive way of thinking. It's 1960s Conservative values dresses up as progress.

Asriel

I'm sure most users here will cry tears of joy that another offensive game from the evil, sexist country of Japan won't be invading their safe spaces.

ITT: Censorship complaints.

Projecting much?

Let's be real, this would have sold horribly in the West anyway. It was more a business decision than anything else. No one is stopping you from importing the game and playing it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This is how you fabricate controversy to generate publicity. Well done, Koei Tecmo.

vypek

I don't know; K-T has brought over some really obscure shit over the years, and this had the benefit of being tied to a fairly well known franchise.

Ah, gotcha. I don't know much about them as a publisher/developer so I didn't know they usually brought over obscure stuff too.

BiggNife

Anita, SJW, fanpics from devianart... people is spinning shit hard so they don't have to blame Tecmo.

Seriously!

Has there been any campaign to not release DOAX3 in the west? I've only seen the opposite, honestly.

People are so quick to attack "those fucking SJWs" when really the only people to blame here are KT for being spineless.

VARIA

Kudos to them for not caving to censorship.

And shame on us for making a big stink about bikinis all while being A-OK with ultra gore violence. 'Murica!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What the fuck is this?
A corporate decision likely based on market interest and sales projections.

Kudos to them for not caving to censorship.

And shame on us for making a big stink about bikinis all while being A-OK with ultra gore violence. 'Murica!
Man, some people are really intent on:
-blaming the "evil sjws"
-blaming "PC" people.
-insinuating that everyone that is not ok with games like this is also a huge fan of gory violence

When the bolded in this post is likely the main reason why.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Wait till someone posts one of those pics made from that steam engine thingy (whatever the guys at Studio FOW use ...... if anyone does a search on them... its extremely NSFW ... like you'll loose that job if you look at them) and says its from the game. I'm not sure the reasons for this game not being a digital only release though, due to some of their titles selling pretty shitty that werent Musou titles.

You mean Source Filmmaker. And it wouldn't surprise me if people did what you described.

Gonna side with Jim on this one.

K-T is not confident enough to stand behind a product they feel will fail miserably in the West. Would it fail? Probably not given that sex sells immensely and given the amount of import support I've seen on this forum and others I think the game is going to do quite well in terms of sales actually.

If you want to blame or throw criticism and comments at anyone throw it at K-T.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
LOL @ lots of people telling them to "grow some balls" - great choice of phrase

I have no words.
This is sad and no one wins ... Except a very hurtful minority.

It's a pity they fear a backlash because of a few people, who have a lot of time to spend on the web, rise their flags loaded with egoism and lie.

I think it's less fair to say they fear the verbal backlash this will create and more fair to say that the projected sales the bean counters worked up already don't make it worth any fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom