• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No plans to bring Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 to the West; Developer fears backlash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, gotcha. I don't know much about them as a publisher/developer so I didn't know they usually brought over obscure stuff too.

Everything Koei Tecmo makes is varying degrees of obscure, unless they're partnering with an established franchise like Hyrule Warriors with Nintendo. Looking at their games list, it appears that Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 will be the first of their games they have failed to localize in the West since Ciel no Surge in 2012.

Tecmo Koei is propping up the spectre of the dreaded SJW and some of you in this thread are eating it up instead of directing your attention toward the publisher itself. Bravo.
They don't want to release the game so might as well redirect the scorn of fans by making feminism into a scapegoat.

Classy as hell.

JDSN

Banned
Im glad the developer is using its freedom to not release their art product, the system is working as intended.

danmaku

Honestly, I find this kind of argumentation disingenuous. At worst, I think this is a niche product that may have been the kind of "we might break even or do a little better" that they would have considered before, but concerns about the current social climate are just the tipping factor. The narrative that they want to bring this product over and they know fans want this game brought over but they won't because of a fear of backlash is just silly. If there was a belief that there was money to be made, they'd bring it over. I'm to believe that they're leaving money on the table here just because they're disinterested in potentially having to respond to some criticism?

More likely, they know they'll make some money, but they fear the image backlash could hurt them more. T-K is a medium sized publisher, they're not very well known, but if the story gets out of hand they could pass as the "evil pedophile company" and that would hurt all their other "safe" games, like the Musou games.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yo, if you aren't going to bring it over here and force me to import a Asia copy instead.

1. Make sure the English is good.

2. Go all fucking in on the content. All fucking in.

This is gross. We're officially in an era where companies are going to refrain from releasing games that are in demand just because certain individuals have nothing better to do than to complain about things they had no interest in to begin with. It never ceases to maze me how petty and spiteful some people can be.

The "I don't want it so you can't have it!" mentality has no place in 2015, but regressive types have a louder voice than ever before. They have the audacity to paint themselves as progressives too.
GamerGater?

VARIA

Plenty on the first page of this thread do, and now they've directed their ire not at the company that made the decision, but a legion of strawmen and 'outrage culture' who denied them their fun game about boobies.

I fell for it. To be fair, the title of this thread and the quotes in the OP made it seem that way.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's less fair to say they fear the verbal backlash this will create and more fair to say that the projected sales the bean counters worked up already don't make it worth any fight.
I don't think people are saying it would've sold gangbusters. The negative reactions are due to the fear of a "fight" making localisation less attractive when there shouldn't be a fight. That's how I understood them, at least. Not trying to speak for the person you quoted.

UCBooties

Actual translation: We have no confidence this will sell enough in the West to justify footing the bill for localization.

If they thought this would make money they would release it, potential complaints be damned.

eFKac

Many on GAF have different opinions. Why does this hive mind ideology still come up so much here?

OT Discussion is basically a 99% super progressive liberal hivemind though, thriving on gender and racial issues.

I find the complete dissonace between OT and Gaming (mostly Japanese oriented) and if someone who said it in this thread Anime threads, pretty fascinating :-D

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But the game is already being made anyway. The game is dumb and the decision is definitely a business decision but that argument seems nonsensical.
It makes more sense than using the horrible "We fear the backlash of women" excuse to as someone else put it, essentially make feminism a scapegoat.

I honestly think the exact opposite but it may be just me..
I think they may have dedicated a bit more budget to the development of a new engine with what seems like a ton of mocap than this. ._.

fates

Actual translation: We have no confidence this will sell enough in the West to justify footing the bill for localization.

Yeah I agree with this.

I mean, I think they are honest about fearing backlash, but pair that with sales expectations and you probably get "eh, to hell with it".

sensui-tomo

Those games seem a lot cheaper to make.

The game is already getting english subs in the asian release, so basically its a "Dont want to just slap it through certification thing" I'm starting to think this is a push for controversy to announce it later on as a digital only release... or sell it through their store only with a special edition possibly... They got those 3d mousepads. (bad joke on my end, i believe they messed up the person on the mousepads for the wrong system, honoka on psv and marie on ps4... vice versa makes sense if i shit talk the vita :p i love my vita)

Yeah I agree with this.

I mean, I think they are honest about fearing backlash, but pair that with sales expectations and you probably get "eh, to hell with it".

Localization is already being done, english translations in the asian release.

But the game is already being made anyway. The game is dumb and the decision is definitely a business decision but that argument seems nonsensical.

Agreed. The game is made, the game is being translated into English, so not releasing it in the US or Europe is only saving on the cost of printing and distribution. Perhaps not insignificant costs, but certainly small compared to the money already being spent on this game.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
south-park-s19e01c01-please-welcome-pc-principal_16x9.jpg

If they can publish freaking nights of azure a action rpg with hints of yuri/big breast women(whose crowd is more than likely the same as doa) they can publish this. So yes i believe its more so they dont want the backlash of articles talking badly about the art they decided to create

Because you also have fans that are expecting your game? What kind of a developer are you that deny your product to your fans because "what some people will say about it"?

It's fucking unprofessional and borderline childrish.

Well, I get where you are coming from but at the same time the fans voices sadly, ain't anywhere close to the voices of those that are "offended" and write novels or make 30 minute videos dissecting what a sick game DOAX3 is and it's developers are.

At that point it seems to me having a "fuck this shit" attitude being the best and save yourself the stress. Maybe the next generation of people will learn to enjoy life abit more instead of pushing agendas or saying developers did this because they are this and that or forcing developers to add something in the game because it proves what exactly in the end? I mean if you had to force your words on developers to do something they wouldn't have done originally then what's the point?

I don't know, I prefer not to get into these discussions because I don't have time for "problems within entertainment" when I already got far more important things to care about in my own life. But hey, I speak only for myself and no one else so others are free to care about such things. More power to them.

LordCanti

It's a real bummer but at least the subtitled edition exists I guess. That's not always going to be the case in the future with other games that are similar and in those cases we'll just be out of luck.

OT Discussion is basically a 99% super progressive liberal hivemind though, thriving on gender and racial issues.

I find the complete dissonace between OT and Gaming (mostly Japanese oriented) and if someone who said it in this thread Anime threads, pretty fascinating :-D

What makes you think that Gaming side is not like this?

Klossen

Banned
Why bother localizing a niche game in the west when the vocal backlash from people who didn't buy it will just hurt the DoA brand?

UrbanRats

Agreed. The game is made, the game is being translated into English, so not releasing it in the US or Europe is only saving on the cost of printing and distribution. Perhaps not insignificant costs, but certainly small compared to the money already being spent on this game.

Given the niche audience, it'd be probably wiser to release it as a digital only.

crinale

Well, I get where you are coming from but at the same time the fans voices sadly, ain't anywhere close to the voices of those that are "offended" and write novels or make 30 minute videos dissecting what a sick game DOAX3 is and it's developers are.

At that point it seems to me having a "fuck this shit" attitude being the best and save yourself the stress. Maybe the next generation of people will learn to enjoy life abit more instead of pushing agendas or saying developers did this because they are this and that or forcing developers to add something in the game because it proves what exactly in the end? I mean if you had to force your words on developers to do something they wouldn't have done originally then what's the point?

I don't know, I prefer not to get into these discussions because I don't have time for "problems within entertainment" when I already got far more important things to care about in my own life. But hey, I speak only for myself and no one else so others are free to care about such things. More power to them.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel too.

This is disappointing. Part of me can't blame them but if we can get stuff like Senran Kagura brought over why not this? A lot of the costumes in Last Round were pretty suggestive and no one made a big fuss over that.

I don't really understand what has them so scared. This game is made for a very specific audience, they're not gonna win hearts and minds with the defense against a vocal minority. If you don't want to talk about it then don't engage them, simply cater to your audience.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm going to guess it's really because the Japanese consumer is, well, a bunch of big marks compared to western ones. The game has half the roster it could have; Dollars to donuts they've got the other girls waiting on the near horizon as DLC despite their insistence to the contrary. I have a feeling they're going to be doing some odious boundary-testing with individualized swimsuit DLC prices, too.

The west would cry bloody murder if it was clear they were holding back on the full game to coax out half the game as grossly overpriced DLC, but the Japanese audience accepts predatory consumer practices with a minimum of backlash.

They'll bring it out here when they have the actual full game to release.

sensui-tomo

West != WW. Why do some people still have this mentally really baffles me.

koei-tecmo sells really well in asia, hell i remember that DW8 bundle selling out quick over there. Wish the guy who knew this info wasnt banned, hell he could probably explain the sales stuff easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom