• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No upgrade discount between PS3-PS4 for The Last of Us: Remastered

yGray

Banned
Holy hell you need to chill out, you're going fucking bonkers over imaginary devastation.

...lol. my post could not have been any calmer. I think you need to check your own imaginary sentences you think I'm saying.
Discount =/= free.

I like that they dropped the price and think this is a fair deal, but this thread isn't about people demanding free games.

They want an even bigger discount than what is already given? You can't argue that getting all of the DLC and a remastered game at a lower price than it's original price isn't a huge discount.

boinx

There should be no disappointment and I don't want to single people out. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to be disappointed that they weren't given the game for free. It's already discounted.

If that's the case, let's just all make threads about how developers owe us games and discounts on future games for buying their previous titles..seriously. That's the same thought process.

No it's not, you are buying the SAME GAME for almost full price, you ain't buying a sequel or something completely new. And like I said earlier, PS4 launch games had discounts.

This is just a cash grab, plain and simple. I understand that they are running a business and maximizing profits with this shit but as a consumer, I say fuck that.

barit

45€ for the digital version seems more then fair. Who needs discount with that price ? It´s not like Tomb Raider:DE with the ridiculous 69€ price tag. Where was the outrage about that I wonder ?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's about giving a good will gesture to loyal customers. I bought the game digitally, along with the season pass, to support a game I liked.

I don't expect or demand them to give me a discount, but it would have been appreciated.

The season pass is cross buy correct? So any additional dlc added down the road is yours on both editions.
Sounds like a goodwill gesture to me.

Magwik

Banned
I don't understand why people get so upset about cross buy or upgrade discounts. There have been no first party Sony games on PS4 that support cross-buy or an upgrade program. Those launch games were from EA, ATVI, and Ubisoft, and that was the first time they ever did that. Odds are, they aren't going to do it again either.
Work, time, and money were spent upgrading the game and getting it on PS4. Of course it is going to cost money.

No it's not, you are buying the SAME GAME for almost full price, you ain't buying a sequel or something completely new. And like I said earlier, PS4 launch games had discounts.

This is just a cash grab, plain and simple. I understand that they are running a business and maximizing profits with this shit but as a consumer, I say fuck that.

Its discounted and includes dlc.

Claiming its a cash grab is a platitude. All games are cash grabs.

As a consumer, this is a good deal. You are entitled to your opinion and your opinion is misinformed and poorly reasoned.

yGray

Banned

dude I'm so done with this thread.

You're buying a remastered game with all the DLC included.

When Sony released the God of War collection, Ico collection, Sly collection etc. did you call those cash grabs because you played them back in the PS2 era?

The fact of the matter is you don't know what a cash grab is. No one is forcing you to buy these games. No one is forcing you to play these games. If you played these games when they were originally released- congrats. These new titles aren't for you- no matter how much you want them to be. The people who want to play TLOU remastered on PS4 will play it at a $50 price point because the game is still worth that and it's been remastered and includes the DLC.

What kind of a discount do you want exactly? $20 for the game? I'm sure you can find a PS3 copy for $20 somewhere. Go play that, since as you say it's the same game.

mdubs

Banned
The Last of Us Remastered has been an excellent exercise in gamer entitlement. They're spending money to improve the game and remaster it, why do people expect that they are going to give it away just because you bought the older version?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't understand why people get so upset about cross buy or upgrade discounts. There have been no first party Sony games on PS4 that support cross-buy or an upgrade program. Those launch games were from EA, ATVI, and Ubisoft, and that was the first time they ever did that. Odds are, they aren't going to do it again either.
Work, time, and money were spent upgrading the game and getting it on PS4. Of course it is going to cost money.

Because the moment someone does something nice gamers start feeling it's owed to them.

So are the people not happy with the price still going to begrudgingly buy it? Are they going to do the smart thing and wait for a price drop like most products that you feel aren't worth the initial asking price?

def sim

The season pass is cross buy correct? So any additional dlc added down the road is yours on both editions.
Sounds like a goodwill gesture to me.

Ah I wasn't aware there were more DLC incoming. I'm assuming it'll be multiplayer content, which is fine, but another thing like Left Behind would be so dope.

ND's time is valuable and they've spend close to a year working on this port. They dropped the price by $10 and are including all the previous DLC, which just Left Behind is $15 and then there is all the MP stuff.

And you have to pretty be stubborn not to recognise that launch was a completely different situation. I'm sure all those devs were being paid my Sony and Microsoft to allow for the cheap upgrades. Which still require the PS3 disk which is super lame.

Main point is I don't know why you would buy the PS4 version if you have the PS3 version I'm not touching the thing, I don't think it's worth it to me at that price either. But I don't think I should get it for $10 either. It's for the people who haven't played it and if you haven't then the whole experience at $75 is totally worth $50.

Interfectum

Meh. I don't expect the game for free but it would've been nice to get a $20+ discount as I already own the PS3 digital version of LoU+Season Pass. Oh well.

boinx

Its discounted and includes dlc.

Claiming its a cash grab is a platitude. All games are cash grabs.

As a consumer, this is a good deal. You are entitled to your opinion and your opinion is misinformed and poorly reasoned.

It's not a good deal for me, I paid something close to 75€ for the PS3 version and the DLC of this game. Not gonna give them another 50€ for the same shit.

Sucks for me. Got the game already digitally for PS3 when it came out. Was hoping for a digital upgrade from Ps3 to PS4 since im on tight budget at the moment. Gonna end up passing on it this time around.

I have never understood why anyone ever thought they should get a discount because they purchased the game on a prior system.

That's the same thing as saying you are owed a 10 dollar discount on this years call of duty because you bought call of duty last year. You aren't owed anything, even if you purchased the season pass.

I can see their point of view though - it makes a lot of sense and create some amazing PR if they went the extra mile to reward returning customers. But yeah, the game's already cheaper than comparative PS4 releases (including Tomb Raider DE) and includes all the DLC, so it's still a pretty good deal.

Early adopters got hosed.

Not really, they got to play one of the best every games on the PS3 which is exactly what they were expecting to get when they paid their money.

I'm more than happy to have the Joel PS3 edition at home and also get the PS4 version. I have a choice, if I don't want it then I don't get it.

It's not a good deal for me, I paid something close to 75€ for the PS3 version and the DLC of this game. Not gonna give them another 50€ for the same shit.

Don't then.

Should've been 40 bucks imo less than a year old "upgrade" but hey naughty dog games sell by their name so I guess the high price point won't hurt then. I'll wait till it's like 10 bucks personally already.got the ps3 version.

Nzyme32

Not picking this up then. Already bought PS3 version day 1 and the season pass too.

I suppose the issue is, how do they confirm you purchased the game, in order to give you said discount. People could just pass the game around and everyone would get the discount, all the while doing something like receipt checking is both time consuming and unreliable considering time since purchases and most people having no receipt anymore.

Further, if the PS3 version was available and purchased digitally years ago, you could only give the digital users a discount but not the physical owners, which would be seen as unfair.

My understanding is that digital upgrades from ps3 to ps4 was only done with titles that were supplied with a separate digital code for that purpose of upgrading to the ps4 version later, which make sense.

Digital only purchases or those that have the ability to be registered digitally are really the only titles that can define ownership per person, so that upgrades discounts are possible. In fact, this is what happens on GoG & Steam specifically for those reasons eg Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut or Civ V or Witcher series.

boinx

Not really, they got to play one of the best every games on the PS3 which is exactly what they were expecting to get when they paid their money.

I'm more than happy to have the Joel PS3 edition at home and also get the PS4 version. I have a choice, if I don't want it then I don't get it.

Don't then.

Well now that you told me, I definitely won't.

The price ain't bad for people who haven't played the game before but I'm sure I ain't the only early adopter who is not going to be biting at that price, but whatever, it ain't no biggie.

mclem

This selfish crying really bothers me. I think I'll just stick to SteamGAF

Well, to be fair, on Steam right now:

Special Offer
Pre-purchase today to take advantage of an exclusive loyalty bonus offer – a 25% discount for each original Metro title in your Steam Library.

For example – if you already own Metro 2033 or Metro: Last Light, you will receive a 25% discount on the Metro 2033 Redux bundle.

If you own both original games on Steam, you will receive a 50% discount!

The original versions of these had *much* longer availability than the original version of TLOU.

That's something that's making me a little uncomfortable about the rapid turnaround of games for remastered editions (this and Tomb Raider, maybe GTA5 and Dark Souls 2 down the line): a game that's only had a year or so in its original form being sold again, such that there's a quantity of the audience who may feel that they were misled into purchasing the 'wrong' version. Put it this way: If the remastered edition had been suggested *before* people made the first purchase decision of the original game, I don't think we'd see these complaints. The rumours around GTAV ensured I didn't purchase GTAV on 360/PS3, and that was the right decision; hence, I feel adequately forewarned, and don't have quite the same issue with that game (Which, I'll concede, is inconsistent; they were only rumours, and there may be purchasers of the title who *do* feel aggrieved because they didn't feel forewarned)

Now, to turn things around, though, is that actually a poor business decision? The risk, from a business point of view, is adding another reason for people to *not* purchase a game at launch but wait for a GOTY or similar. While I know that games are generally front-loaded, I'm not clear on how much the market is dependent on those front-loaded full-price sales to be sustainable, but I suspect it's significantly so. If that gets eroded too much, the whole edifice tumbles down. The question then becomes: How majorly *does* this erode things? Had you known then what you're now aware of, would you still have purchased TLOU PS3?

The price tag, it must be said, is a good, pro-active move. I don't think it's quite sufficient, but it does alleviate the issue.

Mashing

Best I can do is trade in my un-opened PS3 copy and use the funds for the PS4 version. It doesn't make a lot of sense to do so, but I'd rather play it with upgraded visuals.

icespide

Banned
next-gen upgrade discounts made since around the console launches because lots of people would buy the previous gen version WEEKS before wanting to then buy the next-gen version so it was a nice gesture.

it's silly to expect it from every game rer-eleased on current-gen now

Altairre

Where's my upgrade discount for PC games when I originally buy the console version? Yea... no.

Right? Dead Rising 3 comes out on PC this fall for 45 bucks too. And guess what, no one gives a shit if you own the Xbox One version or not. That game probably won't even get half of the improvements Naughty Dog made. If you own the PS3 version and think the price is too high then just wait a bit. That's what I'm gonna do. I think this whole outrage (if you want to call it that) is a bit silly to be honest.

Lot of people complaining about people feeling entitled, but I really don't see many people making entitled comments.

Also it is not only done with launch titles, on the PC you have also got a few titles that are implementing things like this.

Witcher 3 is cheaper if you got 1 and 2, Deus Ex: HR Directors Cut is 75% off if you own the normal version and the DLC, Metro Redux is cheaper if you have the previous titles.

Sure they are not required to, but it would be nice. For people that already played the original game, the new version offers less value.

Top Bottom