• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-embarrassing photos of VR users?

ChryZ

JWI0CxO.gif

wheapon

In terms of people actually using vr, it's always going to look a bit off-putting since there is a large black brick obscuring part of the face. I don't see a way around that unless lighter weight or transparent hmds are developed, but those would have poorer immersion.

Unfortunately this is just how people look when you can't see their eyes and nose.

X-arlo

Neo Member
Don't know man... hard to look cool with a bulky piece of plastic covering half your face. It is what is is. There is very little you can do about it...

edit:. in fact, I'd say it's very hard to find cool pics of people holding controllers.

The Orz

Red Dwarf was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title. Not disappointed.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but to me no matter how impressive the technology there's nothing aesthetically pleasing about having a large plastic box strapped to your face. The fact that it's been used as a sitcom joke on more than one occasion (see above) should say something.

Personally I think It's going to take some marketing muscle to convince the mainstream otherwise. Or maybe incorporating VR into an Ironman suit.

Most of the pics I've seen make the users look goofy or awkward, but how many users are going to spend most of their time playing VR games in front of an audience?

How much does it matter?

The Orz

All she needs is a stream of drool coming out of her mouth and you've got yourself the perfect image to accompany your highly original "death by virtual reality" script for Law & Order/NCIS.

Also, I take back what I said about VR head gear being aesthetically ridiculous. Sort of. Masamune Shirow was able to make VR look cool years ago, but I think that may be cheating.

dock

Most of the pics I've seen make the users look goofy or awkward, but how many users are going to spend most of their time playing VR games in front of an audience?

How much does it matter?
Plenty of people share their gaming space with partner or housemates.

For example, I really don't like being around people that are wearing headsets (not headphones) because they blurt out random expressions every now and again. It's quite awful to be around, and as a result I'm incredibly reluctant to put on a headset unless I'm alone.

dottme

For example, I really don't like being around people that are wearing headsets (not headphones) because they blurt out random expressions every now and again. It's quite awful to be around, and as a result I'm incredibly reluctant to put on a headset unless I'm alone.

For me, 3D at home was already an issue because of the glasses. VR looks even worst on this point.

I'm currently skeptical of VR myself, but if I was going to drop the $$ to experience it, I'd plan to have somewhere to play not in the middle of my living room disrupting other activities, somewhere without random obstacles and other people moving around that I'm unable to be aware of.

I don't live by myself so I know a headset can be distracting/awkward enough when you're not alone in the room, I imagine VR would be even worse and more isolating. In my mind VR should be more of a solo activity not a 'let's laugh at how dumb I look' activity.

MadSexual

As we all know, it's really, really important to look cool while playing video games. I know I always get my suit when I go raiding in World of Warcraft. Don't wanna look silly doing something I enjoy, do I?

Seriously. This is the strangest complaint I ever see about VR. If you need to look so cool all the time, don't ever play any video games. Or you know, get the fuck over yourself.

How hard is it to acknowledge that that person is playing video games and that those kinds of sounds might be expected in the timeframe that's happening? Do people talking on phones in your vicinity bother you? Some of you have the strangest hangups and really project them onto this market.

ff_oculusrift6_f.jpg

I prefer this magazine cover anyway

That cover reminds me of the unabomber

A5ix0cF.gif

Also this one is pretty awful too that I've seen around. All that's missing is the drool.

Y2qbny6.jpg

Still looking forward to getting one. I look forward to see me like a drooling idiot on the net soon lol

Leatherface

can someone please explain to me what is going on in that GIF? I mean, I see what's going on but I need some context. lol

Top Bottom