• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-embarrassing photos of VR users?

NeonBlack

Are GIFs allowed?

1405362014611195427.gif

I'm interested in VR now.

I don't know why anyone is concerned with of looking silly in their own home.

You don't have friends/ family/ significant other/ children/ pets/ etc. that will give you shit for strapping a TV on your face to become more immersed in your escapist fantasies?

It's also not solely about looking silly. I already know a PSVR is going to be a source of contention in my family and I'll probably only use it on weekends or after my wife goes to bed. Completely shutting yourself off like that is so isolating. It feels weird enough playing games with headphones on when my wife is in the same room.

People who live alone won't have that problem, but people with families are going to have a harder time using VR. I have friends with really young kids who are interested in it but are resigned to not grabbing one right now because it's just not feasible to cut themselves off like that for extended periods.

shandy706

I forgot what it's like to be so self conscious and/or judgemental.

I guess that comes with age.

As I said earlier in the thread. Why is anyone worried about looking "cool"? How is any of this even remotely embarrassing?

Who cares. Looks like fun to me, no matter the picture.

I don't get the "strange" reactions. Who cares what anyone thinks...it doesn't matter.

Metalmarc

looks like your right op, nobody can post a non embaressing VR pic.

But each to your own, not for me, if it becomes the norm in gaming i'm out, my loss

The Orz

I don't know why anyone is concerned with of looking silly in their own home.

You're not and I'm not, but Mister and Missus Mainstream? Unless VR can catch on as a fad like, say, the Wii and its motion controls the fear of "looking silly," even in one's own home, will take some effort to negate.

The slack jaw-look everyone seems to have in thee pictures doesn't help. I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing ads of people wearing VR devices on top of their heads like a pair of shades indoors...

Mihos

Gold Member
You're not and I'm not, but Mister and Missus Mainstream? Unless VR can catch on as a fad like, say, the Wii and its motion controls the fear of "looking silly," even in one's own home, will take some effort to negate.

The slack jaw-look everyone seems to have in thee pictures doesn't help. I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing ads of people wearing VR devices on top of their heads like a pair of shades indoors...

10 minutes of watching cops will tell you what mr mainstream looks like in their own home.

The VR Visor can only be an improvement.

Krejlooc

Banned

Yeah ok, the look of pure astonishment on everyone's faces isn't going to sell these headsets. lol.

shandy706

looks like your right op, nobody can post a non embaressing VR pic.

But each to your own, not for me, if it becomes the norm in gaming i'm out, my loss

I find posts like this a lot more embarrassing than any image in this thread.

Including the guy banging a fake person.

The Orz

Yeah ok, the look of pure astonishment on everyone's faces isn't going to sell these headsets. lol.

I don't know, about as well as cigarette ads that show sexy models and a complete lack of any actual cigarettes?

For the record, I was being facetious.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is that dude wearing sony headphones over the headset? I'm kind of disappointed I figured they could integrate decent sound into headset?

They chose not to, so you can use whatever suits you and your ears. They are including earphones though (but in typical fashion I'm sure they'll sound about as good as the $5 they probably cost).

Mihos

Gold Member
Is that dude wearing sony headphones over the headset? I'm kind of disappointed I figured they could integrate decent sound into headset?

You are just asking for a slap fight over what is considered decent sound.

Most of them come with ear-buds. I use noise canceling myself. Integrating them would just get in the way.

lawnchair

Banned
i live in a relatively small apartment with my girlfriend. no way i'm strapping a tv on my face while she's around, fuck that.

then there's the risk of her walking in on me furiously masturbating to DOA XTREME 3 or whatever, which is obviously what i'll be doing 100% of the time she ISN'T around .. which leads to the fact that i'll constantly be drained and not in the mood for sexual activity with a human anymore ...

joecanada

You are just asking for a slap fight over what is considered decent sound.

Most of them come with ear-buds. I use noise canceling myself. Integrating them would just get in the way.

Ya I thought about that but what about another say band that hooks in for sound. But yeah if they don't get in the way of decent ones that's probably good too

Bulbasaur

Banned
i live in a relatively small apartment with my girlfriend. no way i'm strapping a tv on my face while she's around, fuck that.

then there's the risk of her walking in on me furiously masturbating to DOA XTREME 3 or whatever, which is obviously what i'll be doing 100% of the time she ISN'T around .. which leads to the fact that i'll constantly be drained and not in the mood for sexual activity with a human anymore ...

This.

Every photo of VR usage looks absolutely awful, but I'm curious of whether this is because I've been seeing the wrong sources. Somewhere out there someone must have solved the way to show someone with a VR headset that isn't a massive embarrassment.

fake edit: no Palmer Lucky Time magazine photos please :p
Everytime I read these kind of coments, I'm wondering if "gamers" ever wonder how they look in front of their screens. We all look stupid while gaming.

Tagyhag

Not a single photo here isn't lame.

The problem is that all of the headsets are bulky as fuck.

Until the headsets get to the point that they are looking like sleek glasses or visors they will always look lame.

But who cares? If you care about how you look while you're using VR you don't get VR.

majik13

it comes with earbuds packed in. They said they originally did test to integrate some headphones, but that people are so different, different ear sizes and preferences, that it only made sense for people to use their own preferred headphones. And I agree.

The Orz

Everytime I read these kind of coments, I'm wondering if "gamers" ever wonder how they look in front of their screens. We all look stupid while gaming.

Just because both are game related doesn't necessarily mean you can compare the two. There's a pretty significant difference between sitting back in a comfy chair with a controller and slapping buttons on a plastic guitar while dancing on a DDR pad in the middle of the living room.

While I, personally, have no qualms with looking ridiculous while gaming my argument is that it will be difficult to convince the general public to not care. Hell, it's difficult enough to convince people that are already heavily invested in gaming to not worry so much about it.

monodlee

I live in the same situation as you.

As for the first part of your argument, it does provide the opportunity to play offscreen if your girlfriend is using the tv (if you dont have a vita or something). My girlfriend asks me to use headphones for most games I play, so it doesn't seem as big of a difference to me i guess.

For the second part....
see you on the other side

Pif

Banned

I just wanted to bold this, and let it sink.

I said wow.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
One of my favorite things to do on this board is to look up the post histories of people who talk like this.

What can I say? I hope the VR gaming market has a great amount of success but I can't help but feel like it's going to be another Wii or Kinect-style fad. It'll be a huge hit for a few years but will eventually taper off once customers tire of having to strap on goggles every time they want to play videogames.

Top Bottom