• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nor'easter expected to hit DC, NYC, Boston Monday night to Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Shoveling the sidewalk was tough and the re-freezing later and tomorrow is going to suck but I'm really glad it worked out this way. Going from 18+ in boston early on to less than 5 inches makes me happy.

Ottaro

Im about to land in laguardia in a couple hours. What are the chances of me getting a cab when I get there? Is anyone on the roads at all?

hythloday

Got a surprising amount of ice here in Delaware. Glad we haven't lost power, we've had a lot of branches falling as the day's gone on.

Day off from work was nice~

High-five Delaware!

Saw a few co-workers complaining on FB about power outages, glad it didn't get me too. Nice day home playing BOTW.

Schmitty

Im about to land in laguardia in a couple hours. What are the chances of me getting a cab when I get there? Is anyone on the roads at all?
There are always cabs at the airport. You will be fine. This is NYC, there are always people on the roads and life gets back to normal pretty quickly after storms.

As I'm now a west coaster I gotta admit the lead up to blizzards was always so fun looking back at it but fuck the aftermath of shoveling and having to walk through it...especially when it turns to slushy mix

Strimei

High-five Delaware!

Saw a few co-workers complaining on FB about power outages, glad it didn't get me too. Nice day home playing BOTW.

Hello fellow Delaware resident!

Yeah, today's been nice and warm inside. We have a small backup generator but its not really meant for a whole house thing, so if we had lost power...that would not have been pleasant.

Though not as bad to lose power now than during summer. While its cold out, you can at least bundle up (and we have a fire place). Summer, ugh.

Harpuia

The weather definitely sucked here in NYC/Brooklyn. I had to stay in and work from home. I unfortunately live with my family and my brothers also stayed due to school closing. Needless to say, I tried to get as much actual work done as possible. I'd enjoy it if there was some peace and quiet at home.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It took my mother over two hours to get home for a drive that usually takes twenty minutes. She got stuck three times: she was pushed out once by some strangers and a second time by my father and I not even a half a mile from our house. She saw three cars flipped over on her drive, one of which had a copy trying to shovel the driver out.

We've had over a foot in center New England.

our snow blower decided today was the day to crap out. 7 inches of frozen snow was not what I signed up for. Ended up paying 2 guys to do our driveway

coopolon

Surprised my work has delay tomorrow, saying it's for the refreeze (Baltimore).

Lots of local schools delaying as well.

dankir

Okay now it's getting crazy in Montreal. Bus ride home was 40 minutes longer than normal. Wind is nuts too! Most of cars at the bus station lot barely had any snow on them though, wind is just blowing it all off.

King Al B

Made a home made measuring stick at work, we have it one a patio table. Completely the most scientific method we are using. lol

t4Okrwh.jpg

Edit: Broome County, NY

TyrantII

Shoveling the sidewalk was tough and the re-freezing later and tomorrow is going to suck but I'm really glad it worked out this way. Going from 18+ in boston early on to less than 5 inches makes me happy.

Same here. Sidewalk and car were shoveled out in 40 min.

Problem with the slush snow though is all the storm drains are clogged and the water is starting to back up. I had to find one and shovel out the gutter for a ways to drain the water my car was sitting in.

Amir0x

Banned
Earlier Today

A little later during the day, I shoveled out an area and tried to clean out on top of my car and in front of it:

My girl for perspective, she's 5'2".

A little later than this, we had 19.5" on the ground. Was still slowing.

Then this is now:

All that work is already gone with the new snow + drifts, Totals at 23.2", still flurrying. Forecast calls for another 2"-4" Wednesday.

I'm done Weather, I'm done. I usually shovel out the whole yard by myself, but my friend is going to bring his plow truck to do it this time. But just shoveling out half of my car was more work than usually an entire driveway takes me, between the extreme heaviness of this snow and the depth. Unreal.

Linkura

My meteorologist friend lives in Broome County and is having the time of his life right now. He LOVES weather.

Meanwhile here in Boston, wasn't too much, it's raining right now. It's probably going to be an icy mess tomorrow morning though. Boston schools are closed tomorrow, local schools are on a two hour delay.

windy, powdery, turns to ice on winshield crap.

buses are out of whack, took a cab from the Metro (Montreal) to go home. LOL the windshield wipers icing up

I gave the poor cabbie a 50% tip

Culex

Banned
Snow is finally over in CT. I say we got at least 18 inches, but it's really hard to tell since it was blowing everywhere. I had to snow blow twice: once at 11 am and then at 4pm, and there was another 2 inches piled up after 4pm.

Chaos in Estrie, Quebec. Some pretty big hits going on. Watch the video to the end, it never stops.

https://twitter.com/BrigitteMarcoux/status/841782533347983362

Holy shit, all those people out just walking around. Idiots could have been killed. If you ever find yourself in this kind of situation, stay in your car. It's much safer.

Edit: This happened just east of where I live today

1 dead after 30-vehicle crash, chemical spill on Highway 401 near Kingston
29 patients treated at hospital, including 13 first responders who underwent decontamination
"The Ministry of the Environment has been notified and cleanup crews have arrived on site to remediate the area from the chemical spill."

Police described conditions on the highway as "near whiteout" when the crash occurred around 2 p.m. ET.

Gananoque police posted a message on their Facebook page saying that according to the Leeds Fire Department, the hazardous material that leaked turns into hydrofluoric acid if exposed to heat.

"Hydrofluoric acid is a highly toxic, highly corrosive and poisonous solution which is harmful to skin, lungs and eyes."

Amir0x

Banned
Confirmed: Snowfall totals up here biggest recorded... we're gonna top at nearly 28" of snow here.

Holy effing fuck.

Davey Cakes

Snowfall is basically done here in the Boston area. Now it's just going to be rain. I hope it washes away most of the snow but I fear the inevitable freeze-over if the temps drop below 32 degrees.

Unlike with most storms, the side neighborhood streets seem pretty clear. That's a good sign, as it means the main roads should be just fine.

Could've been worse. I'm thankful that this will be the last big storm of the year, likely. Bring on Spring.

Demoskinos

Whew some of y'all got blasted. Southwestern PA here and somehow we managed to get spared other than a light dusting earlier tonight.

KHarvey16

How do I still have no power? That shit is underground here. C'mon nstar or eversource or whatever the hell you're called. I was doing laundry :(.

That was brutal took 4 hours to shovel all that, plus my cunt neighbor park his car close to my drive way so i had to go like 15 feet out into the streets..I was really salty and angry over that shit..

Hasn't stopped snowing in Ottawa since the morning, and looks like it's going to continue all day tomorrow too...I thought this was supposed to be mainly in the US...

cwmartin

Snow is finally over in CT. I say we got at least 18 inches, but it's really hard to tell since it was blowing everywhere. I had to snow blow twice: once at 11 am and then at 4pm, and there was another 2 inches piled up after 4pm.

Really? I'm coastal CT and I would say it snowed about 8 inches then just rained all day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom