• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nor'easter expected to hit DC, NYC, Boston Monday night to Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
First:

sAI2nTn.jpg

Later:

Now:

Ogodei

Damn OPM only gave the capital area a 3-hour delay, though the weasel wording is "3-hour delay with option for telecommute" so i saw that on my computer at 6:30, shuffled back to my bed and slept until 10. Now i'll write a blog post for work today in between bouts of playing Zelda!

Amir0x

Banned
Shit, that's right outside your door. Hopefully your place has more exits lol.

yes, with the snow we're getting the next exit is out the second floor window. We used to do it all the time when we were young up here in the Poconos, but we haven't had snow like this in a long while. Plan B is jumping off the second floor porch :D

Sanjuro

yes, with the snow we're getting the next exit is out the second floor window. We used to do it all the time when we were young up here in the Poconos, but we haven't had snow like this in a long while. Plan B is jumping off the second floor porch :D

WD6iWD1.gif

C.Mongler

Damn OPM only gave the capital area a 3-hour delay, though the weasel wording is "3-hour delay with option for telecommute" so i saw that on my computer at 6:30, shuffled back to my bed and slept until 10. Now i'll write a blog post for work today in between bouts of playing Zelda!

Ugh I'm so pissed about OPM's call. Or I guess their call in conjunction with my office's protocol. I don't work for the fed, I work for a non-profit, but we follow OPM's judgement, except we don't have a telecommuting policy for some nonsense reason so I don't get to follow whatever telecommuting options they throw out there. So now I just trudged to my office at 11 to sit here and probably do nothing until 4:30. Wooo. I could have taken unscheduled leave I suppose, but I'd rather save my vacation days for something worthwhile, not "I didn't want to ride the bus for 2 miles and then walk another mile".

Quixzlizx

My office pretty much never closes... the last time might have been Hurricane Sandy. They didn't close during that blizzard earlier this year.

They finally close today, and it's mostly sleet. Although that's probably worse to drive on than snow, considering how much of it has come down.

Suburban MD/DC was kind of a bust. 3-4 inches and a few hours of freezing rain.

mind=blown
Fucking brilliant
This man is living in the year 2052.
Thanks! This is my only answer to "What have you done for society?" I'm sure I started out as "the crazy guy with his tarps" in the neighborhood, but I've seen a couple of people pick up the habit.
Man, and I thought me spraying my shovels with WD-40 was smart. I never thought of this lol

Seriously though, WD-40 makes shoveling sooo much easier, snow and stuff just glides right off the shovel, no gunk left over.
I'll have to try this!

There's probably a limit to the amount of snow this trick works for. Like... 3". Snow is kinda heavy, no?
If it's a light powdery snow, I don't even have to use a shovel, I can just drag it away. And I don't have to shovel all the way to the ground, I can peel it back when I get down to a few inches. The driveway and cars stay dry and clean.
That's gonna suck when it blows into the neighborhood transformer and knocks out your power mid blizzard.
Won't those blow away?
I can tie or weight them down if it's windy.

paskowitz

Over near Middletown, it's been a swirlling vortex of white outside my office window for the past 4 hours. Accumulation is about 8 inches or so, but the main problem is visibility is nearly zero.

I'm in Wappingers but with some elevation. Approaching 2ft.

Been getting chewed out all day because all the airports in the northeast are embargoed sure to the storm, so we can move shit.

"you're not trying hard enough! "

Fuck you your dumb mother fuckers. It's a blizzard.

WedgeX

Banned
Man. Here in DC only had two-three inches. But the falling ice/sleet made it twenty times heavier. Near harder to shove this time around than the blizzard last year.

xkramz

Meteorologist : 14-24 inches of snow + blizzard!

Meteorologist today: nah bud sorry we lied , 4-8 inches then changing to snow. Oh and there's no blizzard anymore bro.

Must have 2 feet of snow here in central PA. Thank god I'm salaried and can work from home. Though I've been playing Horizon all day and not working.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's been crazy cold here in New Orleans since midday Sunday, but I just assumed it was New Orleans crazy as hell weather. It was downright hot on Saturday.

Linkura

Power keeps flickering on and off here. 44 mph with gusts up to 60. Supposed to be mostly rain after 5pm. What a damn mess this is going to be.

dbztrk

I'm in Brooklyn and i'm thinking about going out to the corner store to get some ice cream. The wind is howling but it looks like is has stopped snowing/raining.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm in Brooklyn and i'm thinking about going out to the corner store to get some ice cream. The wind is howling but it looks like is has stopped snowing/raining.

How much snow is out there? My friends are in Bushwick and I haven't been able to talk with them yet today.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Bill de Blasio @NYCMayor

This won't be politically popular, but schools are OPEN tomorrow in New York City.

It was worse at 5am driving my dad to the train station then it is now. Glad Long Island took a big miss so far. Been raining/mix for the past few hours. Hoping most of this shit melts away before I have to go out and shovel slush.

Storm came through my part of Ohio last night and dumped 3-4 inches. Now the lake effect snow machine has been activated and we're getting plenty of snow that way now.

I spent an hour plotting my way home

Fucking google map kept telling me to take QM2 or QM20, I am pretty sure the express buses are not running.

After studying that subway storm map, I think I figure it out. I will take L, then R to Northern Blvd station, take the Q66 to Flushing.

Retro

Northern Delaware (Dela-where? About 30 minutes south of Philly), diddly squat. Everything ended up shifting north of us.

It was coming down pretty good around midnight;

But then it was all sleet by 2am when I went to bed. Woke up and we've still got about the same amount of snow, but everything got glazed by freezing rain;

This is only the third time this winter we've gotten snow, and the other two times didn't last a day. Even for the mid-Atlantic that's pretty shitty.

Shoveled the walks but it's pointless to dig out the car until the plow comes through. I had the dog out in it and his first move was to dive into the yard, instantly burying himself in snow 3 times his height. Then he just ran back and forth down the paths that have been dug out so far trying to stand on his back legs to see what's going on around him.

leakey

Arlington VA got like two inches of snow. Let my dog out this morning and he pretty much kicked up all the pristine snow into a dirty mess.

giphy.gif

Still working from home, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom