• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nosferatu Zodd will be playable in Bersek

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ahh, I guess I will have to! I really want to read it. Thanks for the responses.

Dark Horse is apparently done reprinting the older volumes but the rumor is that they will be releasing all new versions with slightly different covers and updates to small things like translation issues and such. They are doing the same in Japan at the moment but we shall see if it will happen in the US.

This manga is something else I had no idea!

Spent the whole day Googling stuff like 'Skull Knight', 'Rape Horse', 'Snake Baron', 'Wyald'. Some dark and violent shit. I knew it was violent but damn.

Berserk makes Game of Thrones look like Muppet Babies.

skullknight.net is your friend. They've got all you need over there as far as catching up. They have a very good timeline of things as well.

I'm reading the Berserk Wiki but will check that out next.

Wait til you get to Lost Children!

No other media will touch that arc.

I want to read the manga or watch the anime now. I did watch the first film few years ago but can't really remember much. Seems it gets a lot more interesting.

5taquitos

I'm reading the Berserk Wiki but will check that out next.

I want to read the manga or watch the anime now. I did watch the first film few years ago but can't really remember much. Seems it gets a lot more interesting.

The original 90s anime never makes it past the Eclipse (Volume 10ish), and is missing a lot from the manga it covers. The new anime is...lol.

Stick to the manga, it's sublime.

Edit: and by "sublime," I really do mean the literary definition of it.

The original 90s anime never makes it past the Eclipse (Volume 10ish), and is missing a lot from the manga it covers. The new anime is...lol.

Stick to the manga, it's sublime.

Edit: and by "sublime," I really do mean the literary definition of it.

Thanks for the tips, I'll do that.

Going through a comic book/graphic novel renaissance right now. This will fit right into that :)

alenade

I tried reading the manga's first volume, and while I liked a lot of it I couldn't stand the little fairy that followed Guts around. Is it less present in future volumes?

HStallion

I tried reading the manga's first volume, and while I liked a lot of it I couldn't stand the little fairy that followed Guts around. Is it less present in future volumes?

For the first quarter of the manga that is released so far he isn't in it however he's in it much after a certain point in the third volume however after about Volume 11/12 he's in it non stop. He's also awesome and adds some much needed levity especially with Guts during his Black Swordsman period.

5taquitos

Blasphemy, Puck is easily one of the best parts of Berserk.

puck%2520faces.jpg

Baalzebup

With all this talk of Rape Horse, Wyald, GOT comparisons etc, it is good to remember that Berserk isn't all black, grey and blood red. Sometimes, someone smiles, and you might actually smile with him/her. Like this:
And sometimes you can laugh at Puck's power-level math:

HStallion

With all this talk of Rape Horse, Wyald, GOT comparisons etc, it is good to remember that Berserk isn't all black, grey and blood red. Sometimes, someone smiles, and you might actually smile with him/her. Like this:

And sometimes you can laugh at Puck's power-level math:

No not at all and as the series progresses it gets more high fantasy than staying dark grim fantasy though its still very much apart of the series DNA. Also Puck is one of the reasons its remains light hearted even the most fucked up situations.

11380159_102441903428086_1218796687_n.jpg

Zolo

Oyea+forgot+about+puck+making+an+appearance+_ff9758b89ce69237a31b6d83d4c14835.png

No not at all and as the series progresses it gets more high fantasy than staying dark grim fantasy though its still very much apart of the series DNA. Also Puck is one of the reasons its remains light hearted even the most fucked up situations.

Berserk stays a dark fantasy throughout the whole thing (with emphasis on the fantasy part past the golden age), but I'd say it never gets quite as dark as the eclipse or lost children arc so far.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

NmSb.jpg

To be fair Guts and Puck had a different dynamic in the first three volumes.

alenade

Alright, I laughed at these examples--but why is Puck a cute marshmallowy fairy instead of an unsettlingly nude child?

Breads

Banned
Alright, I laughed at these examples--but why is Puck a cute marshmallowy fairy instead of an unsettlingly nude child?

He's always drawn in both ways but this one is specifically referred to as Chestnut Puck.

And it's usually used when he is being one of apparently many sorts of jackass (he changes his appearance each time his jackassery is themed).

Berserk was dark as fuck till it hit the more recent arcs, which give more of a JRPG fantasy kinda vibe. Ganishka was really dark. Most dark arc was probably Tower of Conviction

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Berserk was dark as fuck till it hit the more recent arcs, which give more of a JRPG fantasy kinda vibe. Ganishka was really dark. Most dark arc was probably Tower of Conviction

Yeah, Tower of Conviction was somethin' else. Oppressive as hell.

I was going to post a picture, but jesus.

It's going to get really dark again after they get off the island and see what the world has become now...all of those weird creatures running around decimating the population who didn't go to Griffith's kingdom.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Generally, he's marshmallowy when he's being used as comic relief and drawn in more detail if he's in a more serious scene.

He almost always looks marshmallowy in the more recent volumes because he's usually associated with something more lighthearted.

I don't know if Miura is purposefully trying to be more lighthearted the older he gets, but Guts's highly charismatic current crew is really cruisin' for fatal bruisin' to reestablish Griffith's villainy.

Also wow, this game. Not leaving much material for an inevitable sequel.

When he's being serious he's drawn in the more realistic style, otherwise he's the little blob you see in the panels, usually when he's messing with someone or acting a fool.

HStallion

Just called around to my local comic book shops and they don't have Volume 1.

Dark Horse publishes Berserk in the US and they don't do a ton of reprints. They apparently might be following the Japanese editions and releasing brand new prints of the Volumes with different covers, updated translations (there were no translated sound effects till like 11 volumes in) and I believe some bonus art from Miura.

HStallion

I've heard the developers talking about how Guts' fighting style, moves and of course armor and weapons change through out the games story which I think is great. They talk about how he gets all his awesome "sub" weapons after
The Eclipse
like the throwing knives, cranking Gatling crossbow and of course the arm cannon. However I really want to see what they do with the Berserk Armor because Guts goes from being the ultimate bad ass to a straight up demon killing, monster slaying, acrobatic unstoppable nightmare.

latest

lCqHtDY.jpg

HStallion

Man the Berserk Armor is so messed up. It won't allow you to stop no matter what.

I think one of my favorite Berserk Armor moments is when
he was using it for the first time and battling the apostles outside of Flora's manor and the one preying mantis Apostle swings and tries to decapitate Guts. Of course the Beast had taken over and it actually bites down on the serrated apostle claw in the "jaws' of the helmet meeting and the rest of the armor

This thread has delivered on the hilarious Puck moments. Chestnut Puck is why I love him as a character. I would love a Nendroid version of him! Get on it Good Smile!

And while it has been sorta light hearted in the recent chapters of Fantasia, you really do get the feeling Griffith is going to drop the hammer soon on Guts party.
Probably as soon as Casca regains her mind and they leave the island.
The Millenium arc may not have been as overbearingly oppressive but it still has a dark feel to it when you read between the lines of what Griffith is doing. He is seriously out to fuck up the whole world for what he wants. And the conclusion of that arc was climactic as fuck.

Mine01

I stopped reading the manga after the trolls arc I think?? they were about to get in a boat.

After seeing that image... I should read the rest right??

Top Bottom