• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Shenmue has been funded, we move into phase II of #SaveShenmue:

IF - and it's a mighty big IF - there is to be a Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, I wouldn't expect it to be announced no earlier than PlayStation Experience in December. Assuming they hold another one (which I assume they will considering how well it did last year).

And I say that as someone who hasn't played 1 and 2 ever, but really wants to now after this Kickstarter without shelling out for a Dreamcast plus copies of 1 and 2.

border

The Bloodstained/Mighty Number 9 Kickstarters did not exactly light a fire under Konami/Capcom's ass to do HD versions of their classic games.

I wouldn't expect Sega to spend their time on what would undoubtedly be a more expensive and time consuming port than Castlevania/Megaman. This is a company that refuses to translate finished games for US release (Yakuza), and won't even release products that have a completed English translation (PSO2).

You people are crazy. I'll pay $20 max for a combo pack. You can't charge so much for a remaster of these games. You want new players to experience. Going to high would be devastating for 3.

danwarb

The Bloodstained/Mighty Number 9 Kickstarters did not exactly light a fire under Konami/Capcom's ass to do HD versions of their classic games.

I wouldn't expect Sega to spend their time on what would undoubtedly be a more expensive and time consuming port than Castlevania/Megaman. This is a company that refuses to translate finished games for US release (Yakuza), and won't even release products that have a completed English translation (PSO2).

They could do a cleaned up emulated HD release. Like they did for Nights and JSR.

shandy706

In the mean time...Sega, give Microsoft the OK on pursuing BC on S2 with their wizards.

Yes, I know it won't happen :(.

I would love an HD collection. I currently have to play 1&2 on two different consoles.

Whaaaaaat? These games came out before 2002, to very positive reviews.

IIRC a coworker gave it a 6.8 and people did not like that. Gamespot actually bumped the score up under pressure from SEGA and fans.

Here. It's worth a read.

I received hate mail in my inbox. GameSpot received a flurry of messages calling into question my ability to write about video games. I later learned that Sega's own public relations people, that were then housed in the same building as GameSpot, were haranguing every editor they could in order to get the site to re-consider the score or have a different writer take another crack at the review.

The review was posted on GameSpot in the wee hours of Monday, November 6, 2000. By late afternoon, I was informed that Greg and Jeff were receiving e-mails that complained that I all-but glossed over the game's innovative features (context sensitive button press events, odd jobs, the fight training and combat stuff, the collect-a-thons, etc.). Some people were accusing me of hardly playing the game. Ironically, very few of these same people had actually played Shenmue themselves. How could they? The North American release was Tuesday or Wednesday depending on what area of the country the person lived in

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Not that I think Sega will waste their time with a Shenmue HD remaster given prior evidence but Capcom is, in fact, in the middle of an HD remaster of the first six MM games likely as a response to MN9.

hamchan

IIRC a coworker gave it a 6.8 and people did not like that. Gamespot actually bumped the score up under pressure from SEGA and fans.

Here. It's worth a read.

This is a good story. Even with the score bumped up to 7.8 and higher than what he intended to give the game, he still got hate mail from crazy people. Rounding up from the 6.8 he originally gave, I think a 7/10 is a fair score to the first Shenmue.

Spaghetti

Haha, yeah this is strange to see.

If a thread has "Shenmue" in the title, avoid if not interested?
it's almost as if people forget this happens with any big news/big release on gaf.

we just finished a multiple record breaking kickstarter less than 24 hours ago. the threads will die down. i don't see how a couple people excited about continuing the series and trying to find a way to preserve the existing games are now "gross", and how "gerstmann was right" comes into this.

Vinnk

gee it's almost like the series just got revived after a 14 year hiatus or something

This.

Every year I put up with multiple Halo threads on the front page... Then Assassins Creed.. Anything by FROM Software gets lots of threads... So does anything from Bioware or Bethesda. Final Fantasy VII Remaster was like every other thread.

Let us have our fun now. We sure waited long enough. It will die down. Until then, just ignore them.

DeSolos

Don't know if it was suggested, but perhaps we commit to the 1st and 2nd of each month to tweet out #ShenmueHD @SEGA and @SEGA_OFFICIAL. (NA and JP accounts respectively)

The monthly consistency seemed to help #SaveShenmue.

Spaghetti

Don't know if it was suggested, but perhaps we commit to the 1st and 2nd of each month to tweet out #ShenmueHD @SEGA and @SEGA_OFFICIAL. (NA and JP accounts respectively)

The monthly consistency seemed to help #SaveShenmue.
sounds like a solid idea

i dunno why people are so frothy about campaigns when it comes to a) getting old games available on new platforms, and b) getting sega to release something that isn't sonic or football manager

Nzyme32

I don't know why people are so worried or feel the need for "save Shenmue phase II"

I am certain that Shenmue 1 & 2 will be re-released or even remastered. It is clear that there are people that want Shenmue and have put money down for it, Sega obviously see that and will not leave money on the table.

Spaghetti

I don't know why people are so worried or feel the need for "save Shenmue phase II"

I am certain that Shenmue 1 & 2 will be re-released or even remastered. It is clear that there are people that want Shenmue and have put money down for it, Sega obviously see that and will not leave money on the table.
better safe than sorry

sega doesn't do anything unless asked to these days

This is a good story. Even with the score bumped up to 7.8 and higher than what he intended to give the game, he still got hate mail from crazy people. Rounding up from the 6.8 he originally gave, I think a 7/10 is a fair score to the first Shenmue.

It's an interesting story, I'll give it that, though I think it just kinda exemplifies just how divisive the game was and continues to be:

Published by Sega for the Dreamcast, Shenmue was an audio-visual feast that haphazardly combined a number of genres into what I found to be a plodding, tedious mess that failed to satisfy the #1 rule of video games: they have to be fun, or captivate. To me, Shenmue wasn't fun, and it sure as heck didn't captivate.

See I felt then, and still feel just the opposite. Shenmue captivated me, and clearly loads of others from the second I popped it in to my console. It wasn't the graphics, or at least it wasn't just the graphics, it was the ambition, the living world, the fact that you were basically living another life in a game. It forces you to be patient by its nature, and tells its character journey by making you LIVE the character. In many ways it's similar to what games like Paper's Please tried to do many years later. The mundane is important, the pace is deliberate, and the world doesn't go out of its way to accommodate the player.

Other stuff from the article:

My take on Shenmue was that it emphasized style over substance, which is fine for a "pick up and play" type of game, but not for a game that takes hours to complete and forces players to wait around for time-triggered events to happen. Granted, the game was jaw-droppingly gorgeous, to the extent that sometimes I'd pass the time just staring at some of the garden and temple areas on the outskirts of the city.

This seems weird to me, and I have heard it elsewhere, the STYLE of Shenmue was in many ways rather bland, it takes place in a Japanese town going through an economic downturn, where the only vibrant part of the economy is sailors and foreigners hitting the bars when they are off work. The whole game is a drab melancholy grey, and that is deliberate, especially when you contrast it to Shenmue 2.

It wasn't the end. Nasty e-mails started appearing in my own personal mailbox. On AIM, Jeff and Ryan were telling me that Sega's PR people were absolutely livid at the tone of the review and the score. Half of the in-house editors felt I came down overly harsh. The other half told me I wasn't harsh enough.

I thought this line was especially pertinent. Even then there was a split in what the editors thought. Chances are, Jeff wanted him to be even more harsh. I love the GB guys but it's clear that none of them really got the game. Which I find odd, because they will praise the shit out of odd boring indie titles at times for doing cool stuff... but I digress.

As for an HD remaster. Honestly all that needs to be done is to insert the mini-map from Shenmue 2 into Shenmue 1, add analog movement into Shenmue 1, add a wait feature into Shenmue 1, add analog camera control and movement, and finally, add a timer for QTEs so you know how long you have. Those QoL features would be huge, and not really compromise the games at all.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'll bet Gerstmann got more hate mail about 8.8. I don't see him telling Nintendo to stop making Zelda games. What an asshole. He's like a collection of every negative gamer stereotype.

I'll bet Gerstmann got more hate mail about 8.8. I don't see him telling Nintendo to stop making Zelda games. What an asshole. He's like a collection of every negative gamer stereotype.

Gerstmann is OK, he is what he is. Once you realize he has horrible taste he's fine. I mean he thinks MGS4 is the best in the series, man is literally deranged. I like the guy, but I have been getting the feeling that he is dropping more and more into his "character" as time goes on. Alex Navarro, now HE is just annoying.

I'll be sending Sega's twitter people the occasional reminder and have been. Be using #ShenmueHD from here on.

1080p, less compressed audio, improved NPC draw distance, analog movement controls, or at least on the stick not just d-pad. Test it. Ship it.
60fps would be cool.
Option for Japanese language would be cool.
Higher resolution textures, anti-aliasing etc. would be cool.

I think one of the keys to the future success of the Paypal campaign, as well as the series itself (Shenmue IV, V, and VI, proverbially)

dude, don't do this to yourself. Shenmue III happening was such a long-shot, the odds of more games to come are borderline impossible.

Keep your expectations in check. Tell yourself that Shenmue III will be the conclusion to the story and the last game in the franchise. Anything else and you will just harm yourself.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
dude, don't do this to yourself. Shenmue III happening was such a long-shot, the odds of more games to come are borderline impossible.

Keep your expectations in check. Tell yourself that Shenmue III will be the conclusion to the story and the last game in the franchise. Anything else and you will just harm yourself.

That is the absolute worst thing I could do. It won't be the conclusion to the story, so why wouldn't I believe that Suzuki can't just do another Kickstarter for IV if the funding for the game isnt there? The campaign alone for III will pay for most of the development to the point where anything more will be profit, presumably.

Wishlist:

1080p
60fps
Better lighting and shadows
Passport models
less loading times
Faster loading citizens
uncompressed audio
export save files to shenmue 3
Developed by Ys, M2, or Bluepoint

Also:

No money gates in Shenmue 2
Time of the day jumps in Shenmue 1

olimpia84

Sega will be very stupid to not take advantage of all the hype and attention Shenmue has gotten through KS. The longer they wait, the worse for them. They need to release both Shenmue I and II asap.

Mugen08

I hope they can do a better job with presentation, marketing and fan interaction in the near future! If it takes too long or works as bad as the Kickstarter did I think YS Net need to consider to change staff for that purpose or maybe just accept helping hands from the fans. They must not overcomplicate, maybe aim for a site similar to:
http://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/
More emphasis on the upcoming stretch goals of course.
They need to get the Shenmue I-II-info out there, have well-organized forums with some community managers, account logins etc. They should look into an online store asap as well, or allow people to get add-ons post-KS. And get rid of the hideous logotype if they can.

Trojan X

Banned

Are we thinking about the same Sega? A company that never fulfilled any of your dreams since early 2000?

Don't apply logic and common sense to Sega for it doesn't work, it never has. Right now, Sega need to restore the faith of all ex sega gamers so until they act, it is best for us not to assume anything from them and take action instead, and if that mean hassling Sega for results then hassle away.

Kiske

If that's not a good opportunity to give a straight answer to Sega-Europe, nothing is.

6wcmY7K.jpg

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/654396035410866177
#SaveShenmueHD

i-Jest

The best #SaveShenmue4 thing we can do at this point of time is proving to SEGA that Shenmue 3 can be a profitable venture, and the logical step to support that at this moment is to ease the entry of newcomers into Shenmue 3 via a release of Shenmue 1/2 HD.

Yes. I think our next logical step is hurassing SEGA the right way. Basically, we want Shenmue I & II with updated controls, Game-Transfer to Shenmue III, uncompressed sound, and with these Remastered graphics (of course, colour correction will be required):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETWhauvTOWY

If these graphics cannot be done due to budget then we expect the game to be fully re-textured with high res graphics. We all want to experience the best version of Shenmue I and II possible.

All of this.

How much crow exactly did Jeff Gerstmann have to chow down on the moment Shenmue III was announced? I bet his stomach sank as soon as those petals started falling on the big screen.

stuminus3

I don't understand why Sega haven't said anything about this when modern delivery methods are exactly the thing they always needed to make money from Shenmue.

Back in the day, even back at the start of last gen, you had a week to sell your game and that was it. Done. This is in stark contrast to other entertainment industries that can repurpose and repackage even the biggest flops to eke out earnings from it over the years. Nowadays games can get a second wind for all kinds of reasons, mostly thanks to digital delivery (easy to release, discounts get old games in the spotlight) and the popularity of low budget "remasters".

We have the solution to the front-loaded or bust problem that Sega had when Shenmue was released. Sega themselves already know that - look at Steam. So what gives?

Top Bottom