• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Even though these are terrible, terrible numbers and also that the Wii U is by far Nintendo's worst home console ever, I still want Iwata to stay as their president. He's one of the very few things I like about this industry.

Nintendo don't have software. A different system would not change this.
They struggled with HD and have admitted this. Not sure who can do anything else.

Meanwhile hes launched another successful handheld; again, am not sure what would change its fortunes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not surprising if those WiiU numbers are legit. It's as lackluster a platform as I can remember since the GC. I can't even say it's deserved but they certainly aren't getting consumers to buy the platform as they made concessions again and the same things that worked for Wii are not going to work for WiiU.

I'm just looking forward to proper next gen platforms now as the WiiU will still be destined to be my machine for strictly Nintendo games and nothing more.

Abysmal numbers if true.

Hero

Glad to hear that Ni No Kuni would be 7th on individual SKU, will definitely pick it up sometime down the road.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
And what was in common with all 3 system launches and post launch? No decent number of games people gave a shit about. You'll notice that the 3DS has since remedied that and is doing well. Vita and Wii U haven't done shit to fix their game situation, and here is the result.

You could very well be right, and I won't belabor the point. I do think there is some cause for concern, especially if they launch at $400.

Van Owen

Banned
Wii U has been a complete disaster from the start. Hopefully Nintendo wakes up.

The current lineup is complete shit or came too late, and I really doubt developers are going to care once next gen really starts.

Wii couldn't get good third party games when it was far and away the market leader. Wii U is going to be in real trouble.

The Wii U's launch has been has had the writing on the wall for failure for a while now. We just all though the Wii's good reputation would be able to save them for a little while until the bigger games came out. Turns out it wasn't. This has nothing to do with the economy because if it was everything would be doing abysmal.

You could very well be right, and I won't belabor the point. I do think there is some cause for concern, especially if they launch at $400.

In Japan they are fucked, but even the PS3 at 600 dollars didn't sell this disatrously. That shows their is a severe problem with the console itself and not the entire market.

Cipherr

my friend is looking to buy a Wii U this weekend. Was telling him no chance of a price drop!

Should I be telling him to hold fire now?

Absolutely. It would be massively unwise to buy right now. You would be a bad friend not to let him know that he shouldn't. Once you get him to stop, explain the situation in more detail until he understands that a purchase may very well never be a good idea.

This may look bad, but I bet Wii U sold a lot more digital consoles that are not included in this number.

I'd like to think Westerners are smarter than that. Especially considering we have so many examples of account policies that aren't completely anti-consumer to remind us that Nintendo's is awful. I'm probably wrong though.

bomma_man

so that's what happens when you launch a product with no marketing

although it would be difficult for S+M to fuck their launches up this much (although you never know), i think this is a bad sign for consoles in general, especially when viewed in the light of UK and Japanese sales.

shit is fucked

Yep, and PS3, no matter how low it sank, always had the promise of receiving multiplats with the 360. No matter how low it went, it was going to have a serviceable library.

That + first party titles and price drops allowed the PS3 to recover. WiiU absolutely will not have that. Its dead in the water, period. This isn't a 3DS situation, there's no come back. There's no 'Nintendogs' and 'Brain Training' coming thats going to rescue this thing. This thing is done.

True, even the Gamecube had most multiplats on the way back in 2003, and some key exclusives like the "Capcom 5". Wii U has...well, first party titles.

But don't discount them completely. Nobody saw Nintendogs or Brain Training coming. If something saves the Wii U, however unlikely that may be, we probably won't see it coming either.

Kusagari

Wii U obviously isn't dead, but Nintendo's franchises are no get out of jail free card on consoles. We saw that with Gamecube.

This system could be Gamecube Part 2, or even somewhat worse, from the looks of it.

Kazerei

Banned
If 55k is true.... lolz

January 2007

Wii - 436,000
360 - 294,000
PS3 - 244,000
PS2 - 299,000
NDS - 239,000
PSP - 211,000
GBA - 179,000
GC - 34,000

Look at all those strong healthy platforms. It's sad that the industry is in such a rut now.

Spiegel

And that's not a knock on the Wii, even if you want it to be. Just goes to show the genius of the Wii remote concept.

Also your kinda wrong. A lot of the big selling wii games didn't even rely much on the motion controls (NSMB) and still sold crazy numbers.

WTF are you talking about? No

And I'm not kinda wrong. Wii exploded right out the gate thanks to Wii Sports and motion controls. And then Nintendo was very smart with the things they did to continue carrying the momentum.

prwxv3

Yep, and PS3, no matter how low it sank, always had the promise of receiving multiplats with the 360. No matter how low it went, it was going to have a serviceable library.

That + first party titles and price drops allowed the PS3 to recover. WiiU absolutely will not have that. Its dead in the water, period. This isn't a 3DS situation, there's no come back. There's no 'Nintendogs' and 'Brain Training' coming thats going to rescue this thing. This thing is done.

wat it has things like Smash Bros. That could lift this thing our of the hole its in.

I don't believe 55k, but that is good for Wii u. Considering it has no games, nothing really coming for 6 months, a poor price, crap online, no real account system, a poor online store, only comes in two colors, has more expensive multiplats, has dated multiplats, has worse running multiplats, has no good marketing, looks and feels kinda cheap, etc, that's great. I mean considering those few things.

hauhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Mr Swine

Banned
What and how is a new president at Nintendo going to do better than what Iwata has done? It will take at least a year or more to fix this if it isn't to late already

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo needs to fucking kill everything at E3 if they want to get out of this mess.

Sooner would be better.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, maybe NOW Nintendo will learn that you need to have a launch with a consistent flow of software.

We saw the exact same thing with the Vita.

Coolwhip

Banned
The Wii U's launch has been has had the writing on the wall for failure for a while now. We just all though the Wii's good reputation would be able to save them for a little while until the bigger games came out. Turns out it wasn't. This has nothing to do with the economy because if it was everything would be doing abysmal.

In Japan they are fucked, but even the PS3 at 600 dollars didn't sell this disatrously.

Economy? Probably not so much. Shifted spending, probably. I can't wait for ps720 to launch so we can finally find out if console gaming imploded or not.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you REALLY feel!
The sad part is that aside from "looks and feels cheap" everything he said is kinda... fact.
If Wii U numbers are correct Nintendo is in SERIOUS trouble... Reggie needs to go, ASAP.
Firing Reggie won't fix the fact that the Wii U was stillborn in Europe and flatlining in Japan. I'm starting to feel like the iron sights ought to be aimed squarely at NCL.

Nintendo should have ignored dudebro gamers alltogether. And go completely for kids, casuals and Nintendo fans. But instead they went directionless.

I agree. Theres a reason why games like Just dance sell gangbusters, get a bunch of people playing together around a game and then they'll go home and buy the same thing as well. WiiU needed more party games, a low price and advertising that said - "We're having a small party for the kids - maybe we should buy that WiiU thing i saw on the tv"

Verendus

Banned
I'd maybe be a bit worried about my upcoming launches if I were Sony or Microsoft. There isn't room for error.
Nope. A lot of confidence right now. PS Meeting will set a certain expectation for folks, and E3 will show you what to expect from the first year. Sony Worldwide Studios has geared up for Orbis for a long time now. There will be a steady stream of games from them. This isn't even including third party efforts, of which there will be two very notable exclusives for Sony fans.

I think publishers like Activision are right to worry about the WiiU at this point, that demographic of 6-11 year olds that buy Skylanders might not be obtaining the WiiU. I worry that it's the same older men who always buy Nintendo systems near launch, an older generation of people with surplus cash for anything latest and greatest.

I think Lego City is going to be a really tough sell if this is the case.

liger05

Well, maybe NOW Nintendo will learn that you need to have a launch with a consistent flow of software.

We saw the exact same thing with the Vita.

more important we saw what happened with the 3ds. Nintendo knew what would happen but did nothing to stop it.

Cipherr

i like Iwata but 55k is the end for him. keep him around for Nintendo Directs perhaps.

Yep, unfortunately. I do like Iwata, and I'm indifferent on Reggie, but Nintendo as a whole have had 3 generations in a row now to recognize that the conservative bullshit isn't going to cut it with consoles.

Time to fire them and bring in someone who is willing to go where the market is going. Loss leading hardware, vast online infrastructure, media services, strong third party outreach, and making your money back over the longhaul with sales of services and software from first and third party.

This ain't the 80's anymore.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Honestly? I don't know what it's like on the inside at Nintendo, but I do know that it could be over for a lot of people. The current management might be done.

After the horrible decisions they've made on this launch, they SHOULD be done.

Top Bottom