• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

This is bad for the industry. I'm not that into Nintendo software anymore, but no console deserves to flounder this way...

freevectorlittlemermandu5n.png

javac

If they don't have a skylanders style pokemon game for the WiiU in development and reasonably close to coming out they pretty much deserve to fail.

And when they bring that game out all of a sudden we'll get a million "Nintendo should retire Pokémon" threads. They deserve to fail. That line makes me laugh.

like i said over and over: they've been sitting on hordes of money when what they should have been doing is expanding studios, opening up new corners of development and establishing fresh hardcore IPs with mass marketing budgets and making partnerships. They've started the partnership thing, but it might be too little, too late at this point, and they still have failed to do so in a meaningful fashion to appeal to third party support on Wii U. There's no way they should constantly be bumping into the "all our teams are occupied with game development" at the moment when their output is what it is; they need to grow.

It would have been an investment, it would have driven into their war chest, but that's how you make businesses grow: you take risks. And Nintendo has been a shockingly risk-averse company in recent years, at least as it relates to their software.

Completely and totally agree. In that Mario on 3DS thread I made earlier someone brought up the comparison of Disney. They've expanded so much from their original animation roots and now own a large portion of the movie industry. Nintendo has expanded at a very slow pace, and now is unable to keep up with the lack of 3rd party support they have. They are forced into making sequel after sequel because that's the only way to sell their systems and now these are taking too long to create with the lack of personnel and studios

like i said over and over: they've been sitting on hordes of money when what they should have been doing is expanding studios, opening up new corners of development and establishing fresh hardcore IPs with mass marketing budgets and making partnerships. They've started the partnership thing, but it might be too little, too late at this point, and they still have failed to do so in a meaningful fashion to appeal to third party support on Wii U. There's no way they should constantly be bumping into the "all our teams are occupied with game development" at the moment when their output is what it is; they need to grow.

It would have been an investment, it would have driven into their war chest, but that's how you make businesses grow: you take risks. And Nintendo has been a shockingly risk-averse company in recent years, at least as it relates to their software.
+1

jvm

Gamasutra.
Didn't see it all in the OP. Sorry if it's been covered.

MS PR said:
Xbox 360 started the New Year as the number one console in the U.S., selling 281,000 units in January, marking it the 25th consecutive month as the number-one selling console in the U.S. Xbox 360 continues to attract consumers in the new year with more than $338 million spent on Xbox 360 retail including games, consoles and accessories in January. (Source: NPD Group, January 2013)

January 2013 NPD highlights:
· Holding 44 percent share of current-generation console sales, Xbox 360 sold 281,000 units in January, maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, January 2013)
· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in January (hardware, software and accessories) reached $338 million, the most for any console in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, January 2013)
· During the month of January, Xbox 360 held five of the top 10 console game titles including: “Far Cry 3,” “NBA 2K13” “Call of Duty: Black Ops II” “Madden NFL13” and “Halo 4.” (Source: NPD Group, January 2013)

This year, Xbox 360 will continue to expand its interactive entertainment portfolio with experiences including Redbox Instant, MTV and PBS, solidifying its position as the best all-in-one entertainment package.

Xbox showed incredible growth throughout 2012, almost tripling its entertainment offerings with nearly 100 custom, voice-controlled Xbox LIVE apps, and delivering users with 18 billion hours of entertainment. Xbox has sold three times the number of original Xbox consoles, with 76 million units sold around the world to-date.

If 20M consoles is the barometer for success. Then yeah, sure, I can see Mario etc... pushing the WiiU to eventually meet this goal.

For any success beyond 20M, they need lightning in a bottle. Honestly, at this point, management needs a serious shake up. The entire digital eco system screams of a company living in the 90s.

Isn't 20 million consoles sold a success for a video game only company that rely almost entirely on first party content, esp if they are selling every console at a small loss to begin with and then progressing to larger profits later ?.

People have to remember that Nintendo were on the way down with regards to console sales before Wii, that was a temporary sales spike, no one, not even the most hardcore Nintendo fans expected Wii like numbers again did they... did they ?.

If Nintendo can get the console profitable at $250 then they will make a tidy amount of money by the end of the generation, esp when the big first party games start to arrive in winter 2013.

The 3DS sales esp in Japan will ease the pressure on Iwata at least in the short term aswell.

AzaK

I bought one at launch as well and after beating NSMBU I haven't turned it on once. It's a decent system, but I have absolutely nothing to do with the thing right now.

I play mine every day and love the thing. GamePad is a brilliant idea for people who share a telly. I think Nintendo need to market the shit out of this feature, browsing and the Nintendo TViiii stuff. Get the casual/family/spousal gamer realising how cool it is.

Polari

So Nintendo fans, Early Wii-U adopters, and generally hopefull individuals were now in agreement right?

This console is a massive failure. No more spins about it being business as usual and having the same growing pains as previous consoles. This is really bad.

They have to price drop right? That's there only option?

Announce all their 1st party games at E3 along with a $100 dollar price drop.

What do you guys think?

The Wii U is a disaster, no question there.

It's going to be interesting to see how they approach things going forward. Didn't their cash reserves take a massive hit over the last year? How much can they realistically drop the price by? I think they need at least a $100 drop to get this thing going. They also need as many games as they can manage, through any means possible.

Here's what I would do:

- Kill the basic model. Drop the deluxe to $249. It will be a big hit short-term, but they're doomed if they don't.
- Reach out to as many developers as possible. Years ago they should have farmed out F-Zero to either Monster Games or Sumo Digital for example. Who have they teamed up with apart from Platinum?
- Fix the damn software. Hire some competent programmers with experience developing embedded operating systems. Fire whoever was in charge of the software for the Wii U.
- Fire Reggie. Who the hell knows what this guy is doing. I'd like to know what Nintendo's developer outreach efforts are like in the US compared to Japan and Europe.

The thing is, it's not like they're inherently fucked. It's just shoddy management. If they'd done the above prior to launch, they would be in a far better position. The hardest thing about Nintendo is it's like everyone can see it but them.

Would you go as far as calling those partnerships.....unprecedented?

big_z

Way back in the Xbox 1 days Microsoft wanted to buy Nintendo. Obviously Nintendo would never let that happen but I wonder if they'd be interested in a partnership. WiiU ain't coming back without a miracle so nintendo needs a console platform to develop on. A partnership would benefit both sides a lot.

Mr Swine

Banned
It actually is. Not saying that it'll be as successful as the Wii's outings of those titles, since those were simply absurd (30 million units for Mario Kart Wii? 10> million for Smash Bros?), but it'll be a good console with some very memorable titles.

Mario Kart U will sell 1/3:rd of Mario Kart Wii if not less since Mario Kart 7 hasn't sold 8 million yet. Brawl will probably sell over 5 million. It won't be enough to sell Wii U above GameCube eat all

Way back in the Xbox 1 days Microsoft wanted to buy Nintendo. Obviously Nintendo would never let that happen but I wonder if they'd be interested in a partnership. WiiU ain't coming back without a miracle so nintendo needs a console platform to develop on. A partnership would benefit both sides a lot.

I rather see Ninendo develop exclusively on the 3DS

Azure J

So Nintendo fans, Early Wii-U adopters, and generally hopefull individuals were now in agreement right?

This console is a massive failure. No more spins about it being business as usual and having the same growing pains as previous consoles. This is really bad.

They have to price drop right? That's there only option?

Announce all their 1st party games at E3 along with a $100 dollar price drop.

What do you guys think?

I'm probably one of the bigger low key N-heads here and I don't see any situation where this isn't considered a failure. Nintendo:

- Squandered a year's head start
- Launched $50 out of the sweet spot range (wouldn't be as big a deal if the next wasn't true)
- Had no "premier" titles for the system
- Their mission statement was erratic and only confused people more
- Didn't utilize their marketing to play up the advantages of their new feature in the game pad (which is legitimately interesting/novel)
- Hadn't gotten to grips with modern account systems Day 1
- (Seemingly) haven't been getting their production teams used to HD development (more specifically, understanding the piece of custom kit they developed for this system) and thus...
- Cannot guarantee a steady stream of notable titles for the console until seemingly 9 months after release at best
- In the effort to cater to their needs, desgined a system with an architechture that cannot swing at full feature parity to the consoles coming along now (Even if I feel like Wii U's philosophy for technical design is OK, Nintendo started giving 3rd parties justification to skip them over with this alone, everything else is just snowballing.)

And to add to all this, there are new consoles sucking away any spotlight they would get by just being the new guy on the block.

This is far beyond bad.

Being completely realistic, the best case somewhat realistic scenario for Nintendo and Wii U owners are first party games and niche Japanese stuff. Western support is 100% gone, besides possibly already in development titles.

They better start promising indies free blowjobs on top of everything else if they want any support from the west.

Saving the 3DS

Yeah, this is another thing. Who seriously sat back and let them repeat the same mistakes in the same quantities and timings with Wii U's launch window period that they did with 3DS? I don't know if that guy needs to be fired immediately or enshrined for greatest disservice to a company ever.

Pociask

You know, I've been extremely pessimistic about the Wii U so far, but I've already built a 55k number into my expectations. Right now, I'm actually fairly optimistic about the Wii U. It seems to have great word of mouth, and it'll have a fairly decent library built up by summer. If they can get a couple monster games ready for holiday, they could be in a position to sell very well against launch-supply-constrained Durango's and Orbis's.

Tl;dr version - these numbers are obviously bad, but it's not time to panic yet.

serplux

Mario Kart U will sell 1/3:rd of Mario Kart Wii if not less since Mario Kart 7 hasn't sold 8 million yet. Brawl will probably sell over 5 million. It won't be enough to sell Wii U above GameCube eat all

...1/3 of 30 million is still 10 million. That's a huge piece of software for any company. That's a killer app. And Smash will definitely sell past 7 million. It's too popular a series not too.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
You know, I've been extremely pessimistic about the Wii U so far, but I've already built a 55k number into my expectations. Right now, I'm actually fairly optimistic about the Wii U. It seems to have great word of mouth, and it'll have a fairly decent library built up by summer. If they can get a couple monster games ready for holiday, they could be in a position to sell very well against launch-supply-constrained Durango's and Orbis's.

Tl;dr version - these numbers are obviously bad, but it's not time to panic yet.

Sorry, it's time to panic.

Schnozberry

This is bad for the industry. I'm not that into Nintendo software anymore, but no console deserves to flounder this way...

I agree. New platforms are struggling. Nintendo botched the Wii U launch, but the 3DS and Vita both released to apathy in the mass market too. I don't know why everyone seems to think Durango and Orbis will be immune to this. The old platforms are selling too well for them to explode onto the market.

lenovox1

Nintendo shareholders are gonna be looking at Nintendo with the death stare on their resistance to other platforms.

The pressure will only build in the coming months. Rescue is not in sight.

How is Nintendo stock doing right now, by the way? Are we talking about an RIM level crash?

Like until we hit at least the 150K-200K range, that should be solvable with an impressive library before we have to address the core device, its base concept, and its pricing.
I don't know; what was the GameCube selling on a monthly basis back in the day?

I think there are very real issues with the core device and who exactly the target market is.

It's not a generational leap. And there's a justified perception of poor third party support going forward.
Ergo: There's no value proposition for the market that built the PS3 or 360 installed bases.

Meanwhile, the hook they've pinned their hopes on is difficult to convey and simply not going to be as compelling as waggle.
Ergo: There's no value proposition for the market that built the Wii.

There's a value proposition for the Nintendo fan - it will have Nintendo games, it has NSMBU.

Wat

How is Nintendo stock doing right now, by the way? Are we talking about an RIM level crash?

Headed for Gamecube lows

Scum

Time to get those brand spanking new studios set up, Iwata. Should be able to find plenty of ex-employees to fill 'em up.

Raist

Banned
So when is the next megaton Wii U direct?

Actually I see them just trying to ride these sales out for the next month until a couple games actually come out.

Well they "announced" all their huge IPs in the last one already, so unless they release another ND say that ZeldaU 2 SSBU2 are coming, it's a bit problematic.

iammeiam

Honestly the most worrying thing about the numbers, for me, is that the massively low install base this is building towards may make it hard for Bayonetta 2 to do anything other than tank, unless it's a far-future title.

At this point I'd kind if like to see Nintendo offer to fund some ports for as-yet-unreleased games. They've got the money, and it's time to be desperate.

Nintendo really fucked up between 2010 and 2012 in their failure to ramp up HD development and it's biting them in the ass. Additionally it's clear that the Wii U was basically conceived as a console DS during the height of the DS craze, but they failed to realize that the dual screen had little to nothing to do with DS's success and that it may not be a great idea for people to be constantly looking down away from their TV while playing a game. DS was huge because of the attractive price and metric ton of compelling software.

I recently picked up a WiiU and love it, it really is sad to see it sell like this, can they drop this thing to $200 and 250 for deluxe or is that too costly for them, this is pretty pathetic.

Great word of mouth? Ive heard no one talk about it, even my friends that own it dont talk about it.

lantus

I really am curious about how much Ni No Kuni cost to develop. That game has a lot of love poured into it, and the Studio Ghibli partnership couldn't have been TOO cheap. It's got gorgeous animated scenes, a lush and colorful art style, a ton of content, a huge number of character models, etc. I can't imagine #7 on Single SKU and bombing in Japan is enough to prop it up into sequel territory... but who knows

Pretty much confirms the 55k number if accurate; that'd indeed be 'well under' that #.

As to Wii U, what can Nintendo actually do? Nintendo Direct Wii U announcements was awesome, but which of those games are going to change the position the system is in? Nintendo keeps relying on Mario, Mario and Mario and people already know what to expect there; Gamecube had Mario too and it didn't change anything if people didn't want the system itself. Nintendo needs to take a few brand new hardcore/casual IPs and market them as hard as they would a main Mario title or Wii Sports, and try to establish some new cornerstones for their portfolio. They're obviously out of gimmicks that appeal to the mass market and Mario won't do it alone.

Yeah there is an astonishing amount of content and polish to that game, I love it. It was also the first game in ages I paid full price for, so I'm hoping it's doing well and I'm glad I did my part.

As for Nintendo, that just about sums up my feelings towards them. I certainly do not want them to fail and be gone forever, but looking at their consoles and their current output, it's just not enough to get me back on board.

This month's sales are horrendous and several moths will pass before there's even really a chance of them turning it around, but it's still far too early to talk about Nintendo running to Microsoft.

Shaanyboi

Banned
With February's release calendar being as dry as it is, I'd expect next month to look even worse.

I don't disbelieve that things can turn around for them. I'm not so dismissive as to declare "BOMBA!" and just walk away. But man, the months up to E3 are going to be ROUGH. Maybe they'll get some glimmers of hope in March, but E3 is going to have to be AMAZING for them, and simultaneously, it'll have to be pretty bad for Sony and Microsoft.

I own the thing and enjoy it for the time I've spent with it. But yeah... sad day for Nintendo, if not for the kickass ND this morning.

Unless the eshop takes off or there are a pile of hidden games I would not call the 2-3 likely good games releasing between now and then to create a remotely "decent library", and there's no way to describe 55k as "great word of mouth". 55k is "stink of failure" territory.

edit: I mean, the console just lost (for 7 months) a semi-high profile game that probably still would have done nothing to really increase sales.

I agree. New platforms are struggling. Nintendo botched the Wii U launch, but the 3DS and Vita both released to apathy in the mass market too. I don't know why everyone seems to think Durango and Orbis will be immune to this. The old platforms are selling too well for them to explode onto the market.

The fact that the old consoles are still selling means people still want to play video games. They still buy Halo, they still buy AssCreed, they still buy COD. When the new consoles come out, even if they hit a speed bump out of the gate, they are still guaranteed to get Halo, gears, AssCreed, COD.

Mr Swine

Banned
...1/3 of 30 million is still 10 million. That's a huge piece of software for any company. That's a killer app. And Smash will definitely sell past 7 million. It's too popular a series not too.

Problem is that it won't save the Wii U, I think those games will sell less than what I wrote

Top Bottom