• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

You misunderstand my argument. I'm not arguing the opposite of what you're thinking. I'm simply saying there isn't enough data to predict Wii U's success in 2013
No, there isn't enough data to say what the exact total will be at the end of the year.

There is enough to say that this level of disinterest early on does not look good for the year ahead.

January numbers combined with Japans and Europes low sales results combined with Iwata announcing that he was dropping sales estimates by 1.5 million consoles for the period of launch through March. So we are not just saying its awful based off of one month in the US. And what's worse for them is that it looks rather likely that they have no chance of hitting their already lowered estimates. They've shipped 3 million, and by all estimates haven't come close to selling those, which leaves Feb and March to sell those already shipped plus ship and sell another million in order to reach the revised 4 million sold estimate. Grasping yet why people think there might be a problem?

Sure, unless you count Nintendo indicating the year is headed in a bad direction. Thus the steep sales estimate drop.

1) We're talking about US sales and not worldwide.

2) Iwata said the company would make a 1 billion yen profit by the end of the fiscal year. That's the opposite of what you're saying.

educator

If Wii U sales keep plummeting like this over the coming months, the few third party devs. even considering making games for it will probably cancel those thoughts and focus on MS/SONY. The games currently being developed will be rushed out to minimize economical damages and I bet the publishers don't give two shits wether they release a bad game or not, since no one buys them anyway.

Looking at software lineup we are looking at 5 to 8 more months at < 100k sales and i suspect quite a lot of them will be below 50k (February is 99% certain).

I wonder if Wii U will reach 2 milions userbase at end of year without drastic price cut.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yep.

Wii U - 3.06 million as of Jan 1st
Target: 4 million by April 1st

North America, January (December 31st - February 2nd) - 55,000 (~11K a week)
UK, January - 34,000
Rest of Europe - 34,000? (complete guess here) (~17K a week?)
Japan, February (January 1st - February 10th) - 143,342 (~12K a week)

So that's like 40K a week at the current rate.

40K a week * 4 weeks * 3 months = 480K.

3.06 million + 480K = 3.54 million.....0.46 million below expectations.

If that happens, Iwata might be gone, guys. Investors won't tolerate a missed forecast that has already been cut like 3 times.
UK number there is for total software.

Hardware is probably not much more than a tenth of that figure. I don't think they have even hit 90k LTD in the UK yet.

Yep.

UK, January - 34,000

If that happens, Iwata might be gone, guys. Investors won't tolerate a missed forecast that has already been cut like 3 times.

your UK number is total sofware not hardware, the hardware numbers wll be much much lower. I would assumd the total EU sales to continue to trend lower than the US

Yep.

UK, January - 34,000

You are not accounting for 800k or so Wii U that were shipped last quarter but haven't sold in shops.

If Q1 sales are at 500k levels shipments could be 100-200k.

The PSVita has had it's first US holiday, and it's on a ventilator.

Come the 20th there has to be a significant price-drop ($100) or it's done. Done.

Wii U, I'll give you until E3 before commenting.

UK number there is for total software.

Hardware is probably not much more than a tenth of that figure. I don't think they have even hit 90k LTD in the UK yet.

Yep. I've been up for nearly 24 hours...I'm tired as fuck.

Let's try this again.

Europe, January - 7,200? (complete guess here) (~1.8K a week?)

So that's like 24.8K a week at the current rate.

24.8K a week * 4 weeks * 3 months = 297.6K.

3.06 million + 297.6K = 3.36 million.....0.64 million below expectations.

Sandfox

Come the 20th there has to be a significant price-drop ($100) or it's done. Done.

If Sony made the Vita cheaper than the 3DS it would be interesting to see if Nintendo decides to react or not.

SmokyDave

You won't be seeing a price drop on the Vita before E3. I'm confident of that. If it gets thrown any sort of bone on the 20th, it'll be lower prices for memory cards and some upcoming titles that existing owners will go crazy over but everyone else will pooh-pooh as not being system sellers.

Which, once again, is not enough data to condemn the Wii U for the rest of the year.
I only posted that to see if you'd skip over Baconsammy's comprehensive post and cherry pick mine instead. Now I'm convinced you're just getting a rise out of people.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

A price drop will give them a surge for a month or so but long term they need to commit with software. Both first and third party.

You can't expect people to buy your console because of the name on the box.

1) We're talking about US sales and not worldwide.

2) Iwata said the company would make a 1 billion yen profit by the end of the fiscal year. That's the opposite of what you're saying.

If you want to just talk about the US, they're even more fucked. As for your 2nd point, you're done talking about the US and the Wii U? Because the conversation is about the near future fate of the Wii U. A rather bleak future given its launch and current trajectory, not to mention the barren release list through June. You say we can't predict what it will do, yet I say we can, and have. So has Nintendo.

kyo27

Right... Except they will lose even more sales because it's now competing with other multiplatform games of higher caliber. Not only that, but it'll be competing with the potential release of brand new consoles. Yeah.... That doesn't make any sense.

How will they lose more sales? They have pretty much said the game is finished on the WiiU and the delay was so they could port it. So it was coming out this fall for the 360/ps3 either way. The game wasn't going to sell well on the WiiU if it came out now. They delayed it to help the sales of the 360/ps3 version. Makes perfect sense, especially after the Jan NPD. Point is that developers have no confidence in the WiiU when they are making exclusives multiplatform this early in the consoles life.

Gamers in general don't like late ports. Which is why Ubisoft delayed the game. That way it'll get more sales on certain platforms; in this case PS3 and 360. A good example is all the late PS3 ports flopping out of the gate.

DarkMehm

Yep. I've been up for nearly 24 hours...I'm tired as fuck.

Let's try this again.

Europe, January - 7,200? (complete guess here) (~1.8K a week?)

So that's like 24.8K a week at the current rate.

24.8K a week * 4 weeks * 3 months = 297.6K.

3.06 million + 297.6K = 3.36 million.....0.64 million below expectations.

Why are you mixing shipped numbers with sales numbers again? You did that mistake in the fiscal threads too.

Wii U sold probably around 2 million of that 3 million shipped figure, so who knows how much exactly they will be shipping come March. The forecast will be tough to reach though without overshipping.

Opiate

with the current lineup of games ts enough to condemn it for the next few months though

At the very least. There is no suggestion of reprieve, and while Nintendo is known for revealing games which are soon to be released, even they would have revealed games if they were due in April.

If you want to just talk about the US, they're even more fucked. As for your 2nd point, you're done talking about the US and the Wii U? Because the conversation is about the near future fate of the Wii U. A rather bleak future given its launch and current trajectory, not to mention the barren release list through June. You say we can't predict what it will do, yet I say we can, and have. So has Nintendo.

1) Umm.. Ok.

2) I'm still on topic.

I only posted that to see if you'd skip over Baconsammy's comprehensive post and cherry pick mine instead. Now I'm convinced you're just getting a rise out of people.

Hmm... Seems you've missed the reply I've given him. So, who's getting a rise from whom?

No. Just like a woman missing her period doesn't necessarily mean she's pregnant.
You do realise that in your strange analogy, being late is an indicator that she could be pregnant. And that unless she eventually gets her period, she is pregnant - or there are issues with her reproductive system.

It could mean she's menopausal, I guess.

Mxrz

55k is just amazing.

Not really seeing what Nintendo can do other than eat a steep price cut. They can't afford to have the thing sit on the shelves until Mario Kart shows up.

Wow, I cant believe someone is actually trying to defend these numbers based on some hypothetical titles that haven't been announced yet and trying to say that January being the slowest month of the year (even though this January was 5 weeks) somehow excuses this. Let's face facts here, barring some crazy price drop from Nintendo or Rockstar cancelling GTA5 on PS3/360 and putting it on Wii U in April, the Wii U is going to have a fucking disastrous first 6 months at the very least. But it's okay, just like Vita's disaster has continued despite the "saviors" in CoD and AC some people won't be convinced unless they literally watch it happen themselves. Of course some people will continue to think everything is fine anyway and move the goal post until the end of the generation.

test_account

XP-39C²
No. Just like a woman missing her period doesn't necessarily mean she's pregnant.
Sure, i dont think anyone say that the WiiU will have a terrible year overall and are 100% sure of it, ruling out any other possibilites, but there are indicators that points to that it can happen. It doesnt necessarily means that it will happen though, but there are some indicators there.

SmokyDave

55k is just amazing.

Not really seeing what Nintendo can do other than eat a steep price cut. They can't afford to have the thing sit on the shelves until Mario Kart shows up.
Can they afford the damage that a steep price cut would do though?

Their bottom line might be able to support it but they'd be setting themselves up as 'the company that overprice their weak hardware and then have to slash the costs back down to earth 3 months later'. I wonder if it would harm their future launches more than it would help the Wii-U.

ifthere is a drop if will be 50, even though it should be at leasr 75 imo

$50 isn't enough, that's throwaway.

If Sony made the Vita cheaper than the 3DS it would be interesting to see if Nintendo decides to react or not.

It's the only way to compete at the minute, the software library isn't even a valid comparison.

You won't be seeing a price drop on the Vita before E3. I'm confident of that. If it gets thrown any sort of bone on the 20th, it'll be lower prices for memory cards and some upcoming titles that existing owners will go crazy over but everyone else will pooh-pooh as not being system sellers.

Lowered memory card prices or the 'added value' option has never worked. The base system needs to be seen to the average consumer as comparable to the 3DS, clearly the fact it has much superior hardware isn't selling it.

A price drop will give them a surge for a month or so but long term they need to commit with software. Both first and third party.

You can't expect people to buy your console because of the name on the box.

It's the old chicken before the egg theory, how long can Sony wait for the deluge of games that are going to sell the system? Why should third party developers support a system out of good faith. Sony themselves need to push the software. How they handled Call of Duty (this generations biggest IP) is indicative of their own support.

And don't get me started on their marketing 'strategy'. I'm loosing count of all the recent games Sony have utterly ignored.

MarkusRJR

Oh god. I was reading this thread when NeoGAF suddenly wouldn't load.

So I head on down to /v/ to see their take on the situation. They were quoting "analyst" opinions as facts and ignoring the confirmed NPD numbers. Why do I even go there anymore. *smh*

Don't ever leave me GAF. :'(

Cheebo

Banned
I still can't believe we have been giving no indication yet of 3DS hardware.

Seeing how software is down 4% despite a lot better library then this time last year the hardware sales should be concerning.

Can they afford the damage that a steep price cut would do though?

Their bottom line might be able to support it but they'd be setting themselves up as 'the company that overprice their weak hardware and then have to slash the costs back down to earth 3 months later'. I wonder if it would harm their future launches more than it would help the Wii-U.

Rather than be the company that just oveprices their hardware, has it sit there for months, and does nothing while it rots? I don't know about steep cut, but the regular needs to die NOW. And by die I mean premium should be 300 dollars and the regu;ar shouldn't exist.

Coming off the extremely anemic holiday lineup with no big releases in January I can't imagine anything great.

It could also mean she's on birth control.

So what are horrendous unprecedented sales for Wii U also an indicator of?

You do realise that in your strange analogy, being late is an indicator that she could be pregnant. And that unless she eventually gets her period, she is pregnant - or there are issues with her reproductive system.

It could mean she's menopausal, I guess.

Sure, i dont think anyone say that the WiiU will have a terrible year overall and are 100% sure of it, ruling out any other possibilites, but there are indicators that points to that it can happen. It doesnt necessarily means that it will happen though, but there are some indicators there.

An itchy butt could also be an indicator, but it means very little if there isn't enough information to back up that indicator. Some people are using any little information they can get their hands on to predict doom and gloom for the Wii U.

So under your analogy what exactly does this entail? Nintendo intending to have such awful sales? All according to keikaku.

It's probably fallen Y/Y, considering it was down 20% in December. I would guess somewhere around 180-200K.
Rather than be the company that just oveprices their hardware, has it sit there for months, and does nothing while it rots? I don't know about steep cut, but the regular needs to die NOW. And by die I mean premium should be 300 dollars and the regu;ar shouldn't exist.
A de facto price cut to $300 would help. But I think, as in reality it's competing with the 360 and PS3 they need to go for a lower entry.

I think Sony will roll out the 12GB in the US this year as well to reduce their entry point.

FourMyle

GameCube was a disaster on another level, though. They were practically giving the console away after about 6 months.

2003 they even halted production and dropped it down to $99 to shift stock.

Wish they would do something similar for the Wii U. $199 Wii U Deluxe / $149 Basic and I would bite tomorrow.

test_account

XP-39C²
An itchy butt could also be an indicator, but it means very little if there isn't enough information to back up that indicator. Some people are using any little information they can get their hands on to predict doom and gloom for the Wii U.
Seeing actual WiiU sales numbers for one month has direct relation to WiiU sales, what relation does an itchy butt has to the WiiU sales?

An indication is simply just a sign that could mean something how things will come. It isnt anything certain, it is just something that people could take into concideration when they do their prediction(s). What you're saying is that there isnt enough information to say for sure how the WiiU will sell for the whole year, i agree with that. But there are indications/signs that shows that the outcome can (not will) be bad.

Top Bottom