• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

This seems like an unfair dig at me and accusation of bias that I don't think is relevant to the discussion at hand. I'd ask you to stop and, if you choose to proceed, will ask for mod attention to it.

Thanks.

You can be very proud of this internet message board post.#
Why would anyone feel embarrassed that something they like isn't doing very well?
Your one of the strange ones, aren't you?

When Zelda III does badly then we'll talk.

I said solider, not fan. Fans are fine. People who feel the need to defend Nintendo constantly on the internet but then act like they're above the "console war" are precious.

In 5 months nobody from the general public will give a shit about the Wii U. Everyone will be focused on PS4/ 720 and every gaming outlet, every website, every forum, every TV ad will be only about those two consoles.

Sorry dude but Nintendo had their 6 months to 1 year before next-gen hits and they fucking BLEW IT. No sugarcoating here - they destroyed the Wii brand name in last 3 months.

For making the best use of a head start on competitors, see the 360.

Add in awful marketing, a poor choice of name (call it the Wii2 from now on Nintendo), and the last two years of the Wii being almost as dead as people killed by US drone strikes.

Nintendo can still retrieve something this year if they act very quickly, namely price cuts. Things are worse on the games front though- exclusives lost, third parties not happy with the sales to invest significant resources in the system, and major titles still some time off. Then there's the very likely problem of terrible downports once the Orbis720 twins hit later this year from third parties.

2K is killing it too: Borderlands 2, 2k basketball, and their PC lineup did really well this year. Also, they are going into this year with a new numbered GTA.

True. MP3 has just muddied my view; someone pointed out their range of success in another thread; they've had a really good year.

Avtivision is the most profitable for now, but with WoW and COD having both peaked, they need a new mega hit. Hopefully destiny does really well. They are on the downslide, but may be able to turn it around.

Yeah their the most in need of the new gen. I'm not sure; if they can do COD4 twice; I don't think I'd ever be able to question them again.

IMO, of the major, public publishers, it seems like the only one really floundering is EA. They seem to be jumping from one bad decision to the next, and they are getting rightfully punished.

If they get their used game bollocks then those £70 FIFA games will really start helping them.

statham

WiiU numbers should probably be a little bit higher for January and lower for November/December . The big retailers Target/Walmart, ect. gave you until Jan 25th to return any gifts from November/December. I'm sure most scalpers returned them instead of losing money.

SmokyDave

I don't think that has any place in a sales thread, either.

Moreover it didn't actually make much sense, so you can pick your reasons as you like.

If people can express pleasure at high sales, I see no issue with people expressing pleasure at low sales. Same goes for displeasure. It's a direct reaction to the content provided in the OP.

If people can express pleasure at high sales, I see no issue with people expressing pleasure at low sales. Same goes for displeasure. It's a direct reaction to the content provided in the OP.

Then you'll also agree that I'm free and justified for thinking that's appropriate or overblown, no?

If not, then why?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't take pleasure in seeing these numbers for WiiU but they are totally justified. Nintendo has been pathetically behind the curve for years and it's finally caught up to them.

I have the urge to buy one but seeing these numbers makes me want to wait longer as there's absolutely nothing I want on the platform other than Project X.

Then you'll also agree that I'm free and justified for thinking that's appropriate or overblown, no?

If not, then why?

Not agreeing with it is wholly different from saying:

I don't think that has any place in a sales thread, either.

It's a commentary upon sales. It certainly is relevant in regards to the thread. Just because you don't like it doesn't invalidate it.

~~~

Unrelated:

Here's the CNET article about the Dreamcast hitting 1 million units sold in NA in about two months:

http://news.cnet.com/Dreamcast-sales-hit-1-million-in-North-America/2100-1040_3-233527.html

Gamecube - 1270K

2001-2002:

nov:660K
dec:550K
Jan:60K

Wii U - ~940K-944K

2012-2013

nov:~425K
dec:~460K
jan:55-59K

Wii U is tracking behind Gamecube, just slightly

Its saddening IMO. I see so much potential in my Wii U. Hope this jolts Nintendo into action

Those GameCube numbers are awful. That's crazy considering it actually had great games at launch.

EGM1966

The 360 IIRC didnt take off as the clear NA choice of console until the PS3 price was announced and it (PS3) had a much more shitty launch than most other consoles.

Yup. The 360 didn't really take of until after the PS3 launched and the general public took in the price, the lack of games and the embryonic nature of PSN. Not to knock MS efforts but really it was the early PS3 position that really helped them not all the timed exclusive bullshit and certainly not rushing to market as fast as they did.

Also - NPD - man Wii U seems low for this point in its life with the competition about to launch. Unlike the Wii there seems no buzz around it's controls, etc. and I think that lack is going to really bite when the next Playstation/Xbox launch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I was looking up some old figures and Dreamcast's first January was just over 60k. Then in May it dropped to 34k and had a horrid couple of months before a price drop landed in August, where it had a healthier year of all over 100k.

Gamecube didn't get to those dizzy lows until May '05 of 50k units. 3 and a half years after it launched.

Nothing but terrible figures for the WiiU and Vita. A price drop will bump sales in the short term but will do absolutely nothing for them in the long. They need a big fresh marketing push coupled by a price drop and actual good releases. Neither have anything big on the horizon so it's going to be a troubled year for the 2 with no real end to it all in sight. Sure Nintendo might have Mario Kart at the end of the year and with a price drop should see a buoyant Xmas outlook but again it just isn't enough. Especially as the market will have 2 new consoles as well as even cheaper PS3/360 machines out there to grab the money.

WiiU is in a very tough place. It's just stuck in the middle with nowhere to get out. But at least it'll be somewhere in the middle of it all. Vita really doesn't have even that outlook.

Link or PM for these numbers please?

It's a commentary upon sales. It certainly is relevant in regards to the thread. Just because you don't like it doesn't invalidate it.

I'll agree with that, then. I probably shouldn't have said it has no place in a sales thread.

Though I stand by my comment of it being embarrassing, regardless.

Nibel

ibws1Z04MISTFP.gif

SmokyDave

If not, then why?

Indeed. I took no issue with your sentiment, I just thought you could've phrased it a little less reactionary and dramatic. In the same way, Draft might not have pissed you off if he'd excised the 'fuck you' parts of the post. It's cool though.

daxgame

rotfl

get your shit together, Nintendo. Mario Kart and Smash can't come soon enough, I guess. Meanwhile, they lose the momentum.

Vita, meh, I guess someone will actually care to make games for it around next year, when it will be sold well below 199$. Not that I expect sales to "pick up" but at least not this disaster

My prediction for WiiU was 50k-60k sold, so I was pretty close.

The demand for the Wii U just doesn't seem there, in any region, there's zero hype or even awareness. I think Nintendo have designed and released a product nobody asked for or wanted.

You can be very proud of this internet message board post.#

I said solider, not fan. Fans are fine. People who feel the need to defend Nintendo constantly on the internet but then act like they're above the "console war" are precious.

It makes no sense to specifiy one company though. Fans of Sony and MS do the exact same thing. In general if you are noticing it more from one set of fans it may say more about your own posting habits.

shandy706

I knew this would happen with the Wii U. Even as one of the people that absolutely could not wait for HD Nintendo games, it was obvious to me that the majority of the original Wii's sales were to non-traditional Nintendo gamers (such as parents, elderly, basically everyone that wanted motion control bowling/sports/workout/party games).

The Wii U simply isn't needed, or wanted by these people. Sales will only go to us hardcore gamers and then possibly some sales to the less core crowd when there are large price drops on the system.

How that wasn't clear to all out of the gate is beyond me.

Well Nintendo's low numbers and the the nightmare romours about microsft and sonys next consoles being steaming piles does not giving me much hope for consoles.

Curufinwe

Yup. The 360 didn't really take of until after the PS3 launched and the general public took in the price, the lack of games and the embryonic nature of PSN. Not to knock MS efforts but really it was the early PS3 position that really helped them not all the timed exclusive bullshit and certainly not rushing to market as fast as they did.

The PS3 launch lineup was terrible (Untold Legends anybody) while the 360 had Gears of War by then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
2K is killing it too: Borderlands 2, 2k basketball, and their PC lineup did really well this year. Also, they are going into this year with a new numbered GTA.

Avtivision is the most profitable for now, but with WoW and COD having both peaked, they need a new mega hit. Hopefully destiny does really well. They are on the downslide, but may be able to turn it around.

IMO, of the major, public publishers, it seems like the only one really floundering is EA. They seem to be jumping from one bad decision to the next, and they are getting rightfully punished.

If EA is the "really floundering" publisher with Battlefield 3 nearing 20 million, FIFA consistently over 10-12 million and growing, and Madden and Need For Speed frequently being 5+ million series, then big publishers across the board must be tremendously successful.

~~~

Unrelated:

Here's the CNET article about the Dreamcast hitting 1 million units sold in NA in about two months:

http://news.cnet.com/Dreamcast-sales-hit-1-million-in-North-America/2100-1040_3-233527.html

Those GameCube numbers are awful. That's crazy considering it actually had great games at launch.

It really makes you wonder just how many "system sellers" Nintendo really has.

Cornbread78

WiiU numbers should probably be a little bit higher for January and lower for November/December . The big retailers Target/Walmart, ect. gave you until Jan 25th to return any gifts from November/December. I'm sure most scalpers returned them instead of losing money.

Wal-Mart gave 15 days from XMas this year, although most Wii-U hoarders had already returned them within 15 days from launch as many didn't know anything purchased in Nov and december would be returned 15 days from Christmas day.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Then why is 3DS still selling well below accetable levels in America (and Europe for that matter) despite gaining lots of first party software? It is still failing to hit Nintendo's sales targets and Iwata at the last shareholders meeting said 3DS is not doing as well as it needs to do.

There's no doubt that smart phones, and devices like tablets and iTouch have been stealing children away from Nintendo in the US.

Top Bottom