• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

Derrick01

Banned
So all those millions sold in one day that Sony claimed is not true.

Well that was worldwide but we kept saying it was shipped, and just because you shipped 4 million copies doesn't mean you sold that much.

Regardless as I said here 700k in a month of huge releases is very respectable.

Biggzy

Very respectable numbers for Uncharted, but don't you fell Sony might be a little disappointed with them? What with the big advertising campaign and an increase emphasis on multilayer.

Nintendo News

Nintendo 3DS and Wii Cross Major Milestones after Record-Breaking Black Friday

Strong sales on Black Friday pushed the U.S. installed base of the Wii™ system to 37.7 million units and helped the Nintendo 3DS™ system surpass the first-year totals of the Nintendo DS™ system (2.37 million) after only eight months on the market, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. Other milestones reached in November include:

Software

The Super Mario 3D Land™ game for Nintendo 3DS sold more than 625,000 units and is the fastest-selling portable Super Mario™ title in U.S. history.
The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword for the Wii system had the biggest first day in franchise history and sold more than 600,000 units in its first week.

Hardware

Nintendo sold more than 2 million combined hardware units in November. This includes more than 860,000 Wii systems, more than 795,000 Nintendo 3DS units and more than 350,000 units of the Nintendo DS family of systems. Nintendo 3DS had its biggest single month of sales, representing an increase of more than 215 percent over the previous month, and has now sold nearly 2.5 million units since launch. Wii had its biggest Black Friday ever with more than 520,000 units sold. Full-month sales increased by more than 245 percent over the previous month.

“Great software and unparalleled value drove momentum on Black Friday and through November,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Both Nintendo 3DS and Wii have already set records, and we’ve still got the bulk of the shopping season to go. People are flocking to our bundles and the fun of Mario and Zelda that can only be found on Nintendo systems.”

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com

So, like 1.7 360s. That's not that huge is it?

RPGamer92

Banned
On the software side, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception sold 700,000 units in the month, NPD revealed to Game Informer, coming in at #7 behind leaders Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The first month sales for Modern Warfare 3 were up 7 percent over last year's Black Ops.
Better debut month than Unhcarted 2 then :D

Jimrpg

8.4 million x 1.07 = ~9 million

How does MW3 do these numbers?

seriously??

do people just buy one game for the year and play that?

I felt the series had run its course after Modern Warfare 2 and that was 2 years ago.... will this series die out like Guitar Hero did?

and Uncharted 3 700k units sounds disappointing compared to MW3

BurntPork

Banned
Nintendo News

Nintendo 3DS and Wii Cross Major Milestones after Record-Breaking Black Friday

Strong sales on Black Friday pushed the U.S. installed base of the Wii™

system to 37.7 million units and helped the Nintendo 3DS™

system surpass the first-year totals of the Nintendo DS™

system (2.37 million) after only eight months on the market, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. Other milestones reached in November include:

Software

The Super Mario 3D Land

™ game for Nintendo 3DS sold more than 625,000 units and is the fastest-selling portable Super Mario™ title in U.S. history.
The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword

for the Wii system had the biggest first day in franchise history and sold more than 600,000 units in its first week.

Hardware

Nintendo sold more than 2 million combined hardware units in November. This includes more than 860,000 Wii systems, more than 795,000 Nintendo 3DS units and more than 350,000 units of the Nintendo DS family of systems.
Nintendo 3DS had its biggest single month of sales, representing an increase of more than 215 percent over the previous month, and has now sold nearly 2.5 million units since launch.
Wii had its biggest Black Friday ever with more than 520,000 units sold. Full-month sales increased by more than 245 percent over the previous month.

“Great software and unparalleled value drove momentum on Black Friday and through November,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Both Nintendo 3DS and Wii have already set records, and we’ve still got the bulk of the shopping season to go. People are flocking to our bundles and the fun of Mario and Zelda that can only be found on Nintendo systems.”

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com

Skyward Sword not as bad as I thought.

WOOO @ Mario.

But Wii and DS really underperformed... Wii U needs to release yesterday.

3DS is is safe territory, no doubt.

braves01

Banned
Those SM3DL numbers look pretty good, 600k for Zelda is not bad either considering it's probably a $70 game for most people.

fernoca

Actually I'm not surprised Uncharted beat Zelda. Most people have moved on from the Wii.

However I am surprised that saint's row 3 beat zelda! I would say SR3 use to be a secondary franchise when compared to the likes of GTAIII, Halos, Marios of the world...

Really surprised at Skyrim making number 2, but then again there's been a ridiculous amount of coverage for sky rim all over the net.... i mean it was on weekend confirmed podcast for 4 weeks in a row and possibly more...
Though based from the numbers..
-Zelda did 535k until November 25 (NPD covered until Nov. 26, game was out in Nov. 20)
-Uncharted had 25 days of sale and did 700k (Uncharted 2 did around 535k in 13 days)
-Saint's Row 3 is between those two and on 3 platforms (SR2 did over 200k just on3 60 back then) [SR3 was released on the 15th, so 11 days of sales]

Overall it seems as game #10 is at 500k/600k
So a game like Mario 3D Land could've done like 450k which is quite great and still not chart.

EDIT:
Nintendo PR confirms Mario and Zelda at over 600k.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wii - 860k
3DS - 790k
DS - 350k

Mario 3D Land - 625k
Zelda - ...more than 625k :lol

guek

Banned
people are still buying assassin's creed?

i mean, they're not bad games but man, i'm surprised people aren't sick of em yet considering we've had a new one every year for like what...that past 4 years?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
“In one month, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is just about half a million units shy of matching Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in lifetime sales. Its first month performance was a five-fold increase over Oblivion’s first month sales. The game garnered outstanding review scores.”

“When looking at the top 10 best selling titles at the SKU level, both Super Mario 3D Land and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary would have been included.”

“Even with Call of Duty coming to market, Battlefield 3 was the third best-selling game of the month, and is now the best-selling title under the Battlefield property.”

“The critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham City sold well in month two at retail and is now just shy of Batman: Arkham Asylum’s lifetime unit sales.”

I feel like I'm taking a logic exam or something.

DMeisterJ

Banned
So the 360 gap is 890k over the next console, and the Wii is at 860, and if the PS3 sold less than the Wii, we're looking at 1.7million ish XBoxes? O.O

duckroll

Does Nintendo usually report shipped numbers for software sales, though?

Looking at it again, I guess the entire Top10 could be >625k. Which would explain why Super Mario 3D Land isn't on it. That'll mean that the remaining games are actually pretty close to Uncharted 3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Those numbers can't be sell-through though. Super Mario 3D Land isn't even on the Top10. Clearly shipped numbers.

They've NEVER reported shipped numbers.
...And why they should have to do that?
It's just that their internal tracker, normally, estimates lower sales than NPD. It already happened with the Wii in December 2009, and with Resort's first month.

Sean

Banned
Didn't UC2 have half a month of sales while Uncharted 3 had the full month of November? It's not really a better debut.

I would've expected it to at least cross a million in its first month considering the massive amount of promotion it received (public beta, Subway promo, etc). But 700k is still good.

alphaNoid

Banned
But it was CoD that beat it...

I stand corrected

NkpxJ.gif

So the 360 gap is 890k over the next console, and the Wii is at 860, and if the PS3 sold less than the Wii, we're looking at 1.7million ish XBoxes? O.O

Actually it's "somewhere between 890k and the next biggest gap recorded" over the next console.

I don't think anyone's done enough detective work yet to figure out an exact range.

:(

Top Bottom