• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November Results

woigemok

Banned
Ashen or Below will sell Xbone consoles? Is that a joke?
He didn't get the point of Nintendo 1st party software abilities to drive more consoles than Sony and Microsoft especially when the system is still new on the market, the growth potential is huge for hardware compared to the current install base of PS4 and XBX1.

ethomaz

Banned
If Xbox sells more then PS in Dec it must be because of them! No? If a system sells the MK th a game comes out it’s a system seller and everyone bought it for that game? Right?
Most because price promotions.

Are you joking or have no ideia how the market works?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
He didn't get the point of Nintendo 1st party software abilities to drive more consoles than Sony and Microsoft especially when the system is still new on the market, the growth potential is huge for hardware compared to the current install base of PS4 and XBX1.
It is weird because last gen MS had it own system seller called Halo.

It is just not that anymore dude the constant drop in quality after the new studio got the job.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
What drives hardware sales for XBX1 and PS4?
COD, GTA, FIFA and other triple-A blockbusters every year.

What drives hardware sales for Nintendo Switch?
Mario, Zelda, Kart, Smash, and Pokemon.

It's really hard to understand the magnitude of differences between Smash Bros Ultimate for Nintendo Switch in December and Xenoblade 2 last December.

2018 December with Smash Ultimate > 2017 December with Xenoblade 2.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Everything drive sales...

- Promotions / price cut
- First party games
- 3rd party games
- Loyalty
- Marketing

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned

- Promotions / price cut
- First party games
- 3rd party games
- Loyalty
- Marketing

Of course, but Nintendo 1st party is always going to explode especially releasing in the holiday month.
Smash Bros Ultimate is the highest pre-order Nintendo Switch games and higher than Smash Brawl. I think Smash Ultimate is only behind Pokemon Sun/Moon in term of worldwide pre-order number and will open bigger than Sun/Moon this December in the US.

~4-5 Million seller + Nintendo Holiday Month is a recipe for success and it definitely not going to do the same as last December.

ethomaz

Banned
Of course, but Nintendo 1st party is always going to explode especially releasing in the holiday month.
Smash Bros Ultimate is the highest pre-order Nintendo Switch games and higher than Smash Brawl. I think Smash Ultimate is only behind Pokemon Sun/Moon in term of worldwide pre-order number and will open bigger than Sun/Moon this December in the US.

~4-5 Million seller + Nintendo Holiday Month is a recipe for success and it definitely not going to do the same as last December.
Like I said the power of the franchise tell you that...

Pokemon and Smash has the same power to sell hardware than Halo had last gen.

Others have less power to sell hardware but it still sell them. GoW for example made PS4 has it best March ever.

Everybody is expecting big sales for Switch in December since beginning of the year... nobody is saying the opposite lol

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Either that or they're secretly building components for something else and not focused on PS4. :messenger_sunglasses:

That last part was /s. But really strange that PS4 did not sell way more than MS in the US. They had to have held back, maybe to limit sales below preferred price. I was trying to help a relative find the Spiderman bundle and the thing was sold out everywhere. Literally.
Or, they're finalizing a PRO slim at 12nm and are trying to deplete all current stock. Eventually the PRO will replace slim at it's current pricepoints.....or even be the only PS4 they manufacture in the latter years...

Switch has plenty of "exclusives," thats the reason why its selling so well. Games. It certainly isnt because it's the "most powerful console."

And not sure why youre talking about the Switch's "outstanding" numbers but shitting on the PS4. If the Switch's numbers are outstanding than the PS4's must be astronomical because if you look you will see it sold more.
One would argue that Switch has exclusive games, which is why it has overtaken XBOX from the time it's released and consistently outsold it throughout this year.......Some were re-releases from Wii-U, but at least these games are in demand. Smash just released and that should do well outside of it's online issues etc....but generally Nintendo gamers buy their games in droves.....

I think PS4 will continue to lead the charge if it has stock, if it doesn't then the numbers will be closer only in NA like we see here or Switch has a chance of outselling PS4 in December....People have to understand though, whilst Sony has to ship lots of consoles to Europe and America and a bit less so in Japan, XBOX is not lighting Europe on fire, it has basically Zero presence in Japan. So Sony has to balance it's stock out.....

Spiderman PS4 was outsold within seconds, everytime it was in stock....This is simply a case of unfulfilled demand, but you also don't want to ship more to NA and on the flip, Europe are now shortchanged. So it makes sense for Sony to ship numbers closer to it's highest November on average to NA.....Again, balance....balancing shipments in various regions where there is high demand.....It's a problem MS does not have tbh....

And yet Nintendo Switch is the first in revenue. Nintendo can sell more than 10Million MK8D+Switch at 199$ in a month if they cared about unit number like Sony with spiderman bundled.

Sony held back is nothing but a damage control by fanboys. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_beaming:
December is looking grim for PS4 with Smash Ultimate + Nintendo December ultra instinct and rip in advance for that :messenger_halo:

Nintendo Switch is going to win in 2018 hardware sales like what had Matt(NPD) predicted earlier. :messenger_sunglasses:

Xenoblade 2 ~ 200K = 1.5Million Hardware in December 2017
Smash Ultimate ~ 4-5 million = ????? Hardware in December 2018
So I see you like Nintendo, nothing wrong with that....I think Switch is attracting a demographic a bit different to PS4........Smash should do well, Nintendo will sell lots of consoles, but so will PS4.....As for this NPD, PS4 still outsold Switch even with a supply issue....Bare in mind, we have been talking about these supply issues way before November NPD worldwide, PRO in particular has been in short supply from the time it released and in many parts of the world.....Slim supply was defintely affected by being bundled with Spiderman.......I don't know if Spiderman slim consoles will continue in December, I just checked Amazon (saw no spiderman bundle there), just checked again all I'm seeing is some customized units, which again spells to supply issues.

Your proof is nothing more than sony shipped a target number of promotional price hardware than Nintendo but Nintendo cared more about revenue than Sony hence Nintendo is the no.1 in this month for revenue.

Can't wait to see your reaction when PS4 is far behind Switch in December and to see your spin and damage control about it.
When you buy a Switch what do you get, do all those parts and accessories not add up? I know Nintendo has taken an approach years ago not to lose profit on hardware, but how much are they making per switch? Yet, I like that Nintendo reaffirms that bringing quality games is more important than just having the most powerful hardware....Even in hardware, they differentiate themselves enough with the portable part to give themselves a chance to hit other types of gamers, other demographics, so it explains how they could sell so well too....but the games are certainly the main key....

I think Sony has also done very well with VR this year, perhaps we can get these numbers, but certainly, Sony has a heavier burden manufacturing, balancing and satisfying demand across many of their devices for the holiday period......Their product reach is much bigger than XBOX or Nintendo, the regions they ship to worldwide etc.....

Sony defenders are strong in this NPD.

I think what happened was they were thinking PS4 would destroy Xbox One and Switch as everyone was bringing up $200 Spidey bundles as if that was the only console sold in the US in November..... and that even ignores all other Sony console variations.

They were expecting a victory by 3 TDs, but won by a FG in OT.
I think most Sony fans were saying that PS4 would post even better numbers if they could supply enough Spiderman bundles to satiate demand, it's clear they couldn't.....I guess they shipped enough so they could top NPD, but more-so because they have other regions to supply where demand is just as great as NA or slightly less.....

They've been outselling all consoles throughout the year, I'm pretty sure they're satisfied with these results, knowing what they were able to ship etc.... I have a feeling some folk want to minimize this and not concede that Sony did have supply issues...It's really not an excuse, it's a fact...Let's put it this way, PS4 without a price reduction and no supply issues has been outselling the other consoles throughout the year.......A reduced PS4 with a great game with an iconic character was a great idea, but Sony could not supply all it's consoles to NA and forget the rest, just to say they won an NPD by a million.......Rest of the World is what brought Sony back from a shaky PS3 start, they won't forget "ROTW"....It's a balancing act....

woigemok

Banned
November and December are the main contributors to Hardware sales. Sony can't compete against Nintendo without an aggressive price cut during that months.

Wanna bet if Switch will end up as the winner in the US for 2018.

No matter how big the lead during normal months without any aggressive price cut during Nov-Dec it will get a blue shell at the end. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Last December Switch outsells PS4 by 500K with only Xenoblade 2(~200-300k) :messenger_grinning_sweat: now imagine with the biggest switch game in the biggest month for Nintendo.

Ok, so if it does not by 800k or more it will be a disaster by your words. You are being pretty mean against Nintendo, but fair enough we will see ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
November and December are the main contributors to Hardware sales

It smells like the old pre-season vs season game talk there ;)... Anyways, Nintendo did not win November, so we will see :).

It was smart for Nintendo to have a hybrid thus transforming a lot of handheld sales into main console sales. Interesting to see the worldwide total too.

Humdinger

This was for Nov. 2017 YTD since beginning of 2017 :

PS4 = 4.38m
NSW = 3.38m
XB1 = 2.92m

At the end of Dec. 2017 in US it was :

PS4: 5460K
NSW: 4880K
XB1: 4280K

Appreciate you bringing the numbers. I don't visit the other forum anymore, so I've lost touch with the number crunchers.

YTD:

PS4: ~4526K
NSW: ~3861K
XB1: ~3425K

Likewise -- thank you for bringing the numbers.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
November and December are the main contributors to Hardware sales. Sony can't compete against Nintendo without an aggressive price cut during that months.

Wanna bet if Switch will end up as the winner in the US for 2018.

No matter how big the lead during normal months without any aggressive price cut during Nov-Dec it will get a blue shell at the end. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You realize you are comparing a hardware device probably near at it peak with a hardware device near to be replaced.

Switch sales are its 2nd year.
PS4 sales are its 5th year.

The biggest surprise here is not Switch sales with Pokemon and Smash...

The biggest surprise is PS4 being up YoY in sales after its 5th year with PS5 with near tease.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The biggest surprise here is Switch 2nd year is going to smash PS4 2nd year in the US.

It is for those expecting it to tank or have a slightly better than Wii U type of sales. Switch is now their only new console and also their new handheld and where before they would have handheld sales plus home consoles sales you will have mostly Switch.

Switch is where a lot of hanheld consumers that previously bought a 3DS or a PSP / PS Vita are gravitating to.

woigemok

Banned
It is for those expecting it to tank or have a slightly better than Wii U type of sales. Switch is now their only new console and also their new handheld and where before they would have handheld sales plus home consoles sales you will have mostly Switch.

Switch is where a lot of hanheld consumers that previously bought a 3DS or a PSP / PS Vita are gravitating to.
The scariest part is Switch doesn't need an aggressive promotion like 1st and 2nd year of PS4 in the US to lead in monthly tracking period :messenger_face_screaming: what a monster :messenger_bicep:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The scariest part is Switch doesn't need an aggressive promotion like 1st and 2nd year of PS4 in the US to lead in monthly tracking period :messenger_face_screaming: what a monster :messenger_bicep:

Haha, once you think about not having Wii + DS numbers you could see the. Red if promotions and investors shaking as they will expect those revenues soon too :). Still, you are right that is the benefit of being the envy valid gaming hanheld available.

If you want a gaming hanheld, you go Switxh right now.

Poop!

You know, this was the reason I started lurking GAF about 8-9 years ago.
Everytime I googled for NPD results, it came back with GAF as the source, so eventually I started coming here directly.
Good to know that this wasn't lost.
Also good to know that the 3 consoles are so close in sales.

RIP SonyCowBoy

EdGalTBR

Banned
Switch is now 21 months with no price cut. PS4 got it's first one after 23 months. Other systems, like Xbox One and 3DS, got one some months after their launch.

woigemok

Banned
Switch is now 21 months with no price cut. PS4 got it's first one after 23 months. Other systems, like Xbox One and 3DS, got one some months after their launch.
PS4 also had -50$ promotion and free game for 2 weeks in the second December and yet only 1.5 million unit sold. :messenger_fearful:

seph1roth

I'm very interested in december numbers, specially Switch, we will se a boost in comparison to december 2017?

Maybe 2-2.3 million consoles?

Damn, hope Benji and other ppl were here to comment about this.

Norse

- Promotions / price cut
- First party games
- 3rd party games
- Loyalty
- Marketing

For us I think your list is perfect. For casuals I think 3rd party might trump first party games when talking about PS4 and Xbox. Nintendo may even have first party games at the top of that list regardless of what time of yr it is.

ethomaz

Banned
Can somebody post actual numbers? i can't understand this gibberish.
The Pokedex position means the % compared each other.

Eg. Voltorb = 100%, Koffing = 109%

I posted the estimated numbers so you don’t need to care about them :D

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Lol that comment was for MS. Which sold incredible for a console with no "exclusives". It's pretty clear exclusives aren't what sells consoles to the majority outside of Nintendo consoles, going against the sonygaf narrative on here.

XboxGaf - Exclusives don't sell cosnoles
Also XboxGaf = MS acquired new studios. Xbox is going to make a huge comeback next gen.

octiny

Banned
XboxGaf - Exclusives don't sell cosnoles
Also XboxGaf = MS acquired new studios. Xbox is going to make a huge comeback next gen.

Lol they don't. The majority could care less, hence why only a certain percentage of PS4's install base (2-12%, Uncharted 4 leading the way) buy their exclusives compared to all the AAA multi-plat sales titles as noted in the LTD/YTD PS4 Top 10, & why most fall out of the top 10 after the first couple of months & are completely forgotten. PS4 had 1 exclusive in it's top 10 last month & I expect the same this month. This isn't Nintendo we're talking about here.

You're preaching to two different groups. Exclusives aren't make or break in MS's biggest selling territory, U.S. MS has already established their come back if we're talking from a sales standpoint since the X was released. More exclusive games are nice to have & it'll definitely help push the fresh start they'll have next-gen, but it's not make or break to the majority outside of the internet hardcore. Personally, I welcome them as a hardcore but at the sametime I'm just as interested in their ever-growing ecosystem of services such as Gamepass, which goes hand-in-hand with them acquiring some of these studios.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Lol they don't. The majority could care less, hence why only a certain percentage of PS4's install base (2-12%, Uncharted 4 leading the way) buy their exclusives compared to all the AAA multi-plat sales titles as noted in the LTD/YTD PS4 Top 10, & why most fall out of the top 10 after the first couple of months & are

Another attach ration argument. Uncharted is one of the best selling games on the platform. Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted all sold over 8 million. The fact that you don't know this tells me that you listen to more fanboy stuff more than actual facts.

Mind telling me how many multiplat franchises sell better on the PS platform?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Another attach ration argument. Uncharted is one of the best selling games on the platform. Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted all sold over 8 million. The fact that you don't know this tells me that you listen to more fanboy stuff more than actual facts.

It also shows that Sony has something for a multitude of gamer tastes (variety), not just one specific demographic is catered to. As an example, someone may like the Uncharted series but not care for Spider-Man (me). I have yet to play HZD, but enjoyed GoW (my personal GOTY by a hair).

I am not a major fan of open world games, but really enjoying RDR2, which then makes me want to pick up and play HZD after.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned

Why are you getting heated over facts :messenger_smiling:?

So you agree then that PS4 exclusive attachment rate is no better than the yearly rate of AAA titles, if we're going by 1 year sales, as it's hard to compare when new AAA multi-plat franchises release a new game in a series, almost yearly. 8 million= 11.25% (and that's LTD). As I said, the PS4 hardcore buys exclusives & the sales drop like a rock in most cases afterwards. Multi-plat AAA titles get released every year, it's what drives the majority of the sales on consoles. Not sure why this is hard to comprehend.

I'm sure you can do some digging with NPD numbers, I'm not here to convince you. Just simply giving you NPD backed facts, even the shittiest of chart estimates ala VGchartz confirms this. PS4 has 1 exclusive in it's LTD top 10, Uncharted.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Why are you getting heated over facts :messenger_smiling:?

So you agree then that PS4 exclusive attachment rate is no better than the yearly rate of AAA titles, if we're going by 1 year sales, as it's hard to compare when new AAA multi-plat franchises release a new game in a series, almost yearly. 8 million= 11.25% (and that's LTD). As I said, the hardcore buys exclusives & the sales drop like a rock afterwards in most cases afterwards. Multi-plat AAA titles get released every year, it's what drives the majority of the sales on consoles. Not sure why this is hard to comprehend.

I'm sure you can do some digging with NPD numbers, I'm not here to convince you. Just simply giving you NPD backed numbers, even the shittiest of chart estimates ala VGchartz confirms this.

NO one is getting heated.

Why haven't you named any franchises that sell better?

If you were all about facts, you would start naming them :)

Imtjnotu

octiny

Banned
NO one is getting heated.

Why haven't you named any franchises that sell better?

If you were all about facts, you would start naming them :)

No problem lol. On average...

GTA
Call of Duty
Battlefront
Fifa
Fallout
Red Dead
Assassins Creed
Final Fantasy
Far Cry

There's a bunch more, depending on what exclusives you're comparing it to & even more if you include the yearly released AAA titles in the franchise.

Again, this list doesn't include digital sales, but at least gives an idea while NPD YTD & LTD estimate can confirm most of the rankings if you want to do some digging.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/games.php?console=PS4

10 PS4 exclusives in the Top 100. 1 in every 10 games. The fact that there are 3 Fifa games in the Top 10 is telling. Again, as I said, exclusives *help* but they don't sell the majority of consoles which is comprised of casuals. And as much as some people want to deny it, exclusives aren't why PS4 pounded Xbox One.

Edit: Xbox with similar rankings, 10 exclusives in the top 100. The fact that MS has gained a ton of steam in the US without exclusives in the past 21 months, simply proves that the goodwill they are showing people w/ their effort outside of exclusives is paying off after all the crap they pulled this gen.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

It's really hard to understand the magnitude of differences between Smash Bros Ultimate for Nintendo Switch in December and Xenoblade 2 last December.

2018 December with Smash Ultimate > 2017 December with Xenoblade 2.
That worked well for the Wii U.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No problem lol. On average...

GTA
Call of Duty
Battlefront
Fifa
Fallout
Red Dead
Assassins Creed
Final Fantasy
Far Cry

There's a bunch more, depending on what exclusives you're comparing it to & even more if you include the yearly released AAA titles in the franchise.

Again, this list doesn't include digital sales, but at least gives an idea while NPD YTD & LTD estimate can confirm most of the rankings if you want to do some digging.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/games.php?console=PS4

10 PS4 exclusives in the Top 100. 1 in every 10 games. Again, as I said, exclusives *help* but they don't sell the majority of consoles which is comprised of casuals. And as much as some people want to deny it, exclusives aren't why PS4 pounded Xbox One.

Now you're just making things up.

Also, don't use VGChartz, it's an unreliable source.

Final Fantasy 15 sold 7.7 Million in just under two years.
https://www.destructoid.com/final-f...on-sales-in-just-under-two-years-516081.phtml

Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted 4 have all surpassed those numbers on a single platform.

Here are the NPD results LTD for PS4

As stated by Mat, Spider-Man would make the list next month, and ZhugeEX has stated UC4 would be on this list if bundles were includes (still sold over 8 million).
God of War and Spider-an are on track to sell better the StarWars Battlefront.

Fallout 4, StarWars Battlefront 2 and FarCry 5 are not on this list.

Facts show that PS exclusives are more popular than the majority of the mulitplat titles on the PS platform and your "attach rate" argument did not work.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Now you're just making things up.

Also, don't use VGChartz, it's an unreliable source.

Final Fantasy 15 sold 7.7 Million in just under two years.
https://www.destructoid.com/final-f...on-sales-in-just-under-two-years-516081.phtml

Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted 4 have all surpassed those numbers on a single platform.

Here are the NPD results LTD for PS4

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/media
As stated by Mat, Spider-Man would make the list next month, and ZhugeEX has stated UC4 would be on this list if bundles were includes (still sold over 8 million).
God of War and Spider-an are on track to sell better the StarWars Battlefront.

Fallout 4, StarWars Battlefront 2 and FarCry 5 are not on this list.

Facts show that PS exclusives are more popular than the majority of the mulitplat titles on the PS platform and your "attach rate" argument did not work.

All those numbers I provided are for PS4 only, globally, not just the US. Not my fault you don't want to accept the narrative. Majority of consoles are bought by casuals. AAA franchises are released yearly, it's what drives these consoles to sell. Not exclusives. If you want to deny that, not my problem lol.

The fact that you aren't taking into consideration new iteration of franchise games being released yearly versus 1 exclusive game of said franchise in a console cycle & essentially trying to compared to two in sales, leads me to believe you're just being disingenuous about how much exclusives actually matter. Don't be naive.

Let's also not forget the install base of when said game gets released, which makes how much more AAA multi-platform games sell even more impressive, considering the yearly releases in said franchise (essentially having to start over on the sales front every time). Makes 3 Fifa games in the Top 10 look incredible.

Edit: 2018 NPD YTD PS4 Top 10 (not including Nov. yet). As usual, just 1 exclusive in the top 10 for the US. Globally, Fifa would be near the top.

PS4
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. Soul Calibur VI
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. FIFA 19
  8. WWE 2K19
  9. Madden NFL 19
  10. My Hero One's Justice

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
All those numbers are for PS4 only. Not my fault you don't want to accept the narrative. Majority of consoles are bought by casuals. AAA franchises are released yearly, it's what drives these consoles to sell. Not exclusives. If you want to deny that, not my problem lol.

Now you're changing your argument. Here is what I said.

Earlier, you said this.

The majority could care less, hence why only a certain percentage of PS4's install base (2-12%, Uncharted 4 leading the way) buy their exclusives compared to all the AAA multi-plat sales titles as noted in the LTD/YTD PS4 Top 10,

You used the install base\attach rate argument to prove that the majority don't care about the exclusives. The evidence that I provided just goes to show how your argument is completely false.

Now you're moving the goalpost to "majority of consoles." The evidence show that exclusives are huge among PS gamers.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
PS4
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  3. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man
  5. Soul Calibur VI
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. FIFA 19
  8. WWE 2K19
  9. Madden NFL 19
  10. My Hero One's Justice

Do you realize this is for the month?

Top 10 games this year.

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4**
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. God of War 2018
  7. Monster Hunter: World
  8. Madden NFL 19**
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Call of Duty: WWII**
This is all platforms for the year and there are two PS exclusives on this list.

Your argument is failing, man. Badly.

I think that because there are so many different exclusives for the PS4 its sort of hard to single out any one game as the reason everyone bought the thing, which is why most (with exceptions like gow and Spiderman) dont have insanely high individual sales numbers. I mean there are probably at least 20 franchises/games someone would have bought a PS4 for, and there is likely not a ton of overlap between many of them (who knows, maybe the Senran Kagura crowd also really is in to MLB The Show).

Id love to do some dataminig of trophy lists to figure out a Venn diagram of PS4 exusives ownership, because I bet it would be very interesting.

Top Bottom