• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of November 2016

wow, Sony clear the Xbox gain in a day, impressive.
I was expecting Sony to win because they are reselling the console to their user base, I'm more interested in how the Xbox S stand in front of the PS4 S.

c'mon there was a thread mentioning how much more powerful Scorpio was than the XB1 "old laptop..."and the thread was spun to how MS is screwing original XB1 owners over instead of being excited about game possibilities because...this is a gaming forum?

This gen I have owned a WiiU, XB1 and Ps4.

Now I only have a PS4 Pro because I prefer the ecosystem, better sales on PSN and lack of tax on digital games.

I do however find it comical that it can be posted how much superior Ps4 is to Xbox when they play mostly the same library and game difference have to be explained to us by Digital Foundry most of the time. Probably the main eason to choose either system if it is not a money issue should be preference of their first party offerings

The PS4 is stronger, but the hardware for both of them is underwhelming.

Back on topic, I'm very curious about how the Pro did. In Canada the EBgames trade in promotion was insane but I still see Pro's in any store I go to.

I sort of agree but you got to understand that it's all Microsoft fault. They launched one of the worst consoles in history in terms of OS, price, Kinect and PR. Then the many price drops, fire sales. Confusing messaging. Early Scorpio announcement...

Yes they are doing progress in building a better image for their brand but the situation they're in with Xbox is entirely their fault.

On the other hand you got Sony who's a worldwide brand that resonates with a lot more people, Sony's messaging was simply amazing from the first reveal, the price is right, games from all kinds, gamer friendly with events like PSX.
Their timing and strategy is simply incredible, they are very aggressive and on point with their console and that's why people praise them as much. From my perspective, Sony are doing many things right.

Not saying Microsoft are not doing anything but people will always compare before buying consoles and in this case the Xbox One is pretty similar to PS4. The majority chose the PS4 for the reasons i listed. I guess their strategy works.

I was expecting Sony to win because they are reselling the console to their user base, I'm more interested in how the Xbox S stand in front of the PS4 S.

They've actually managed to increase the gap. Next month will be the same.

ron_bato

Hongkong sold out, Japan no stock, they just send 100 unit to SEA or what?

Im not kidding, the first batch they brought to the philippines was probably around that number, if not a little bit more.

I bought at launch, and the store i went to only had two units. Another had just 1.

Right now as soon as word gets out that new stock comes in, its as good as gone. The preorders are backed up until late january or early feb at least.

sense

Hongkong sold out, Japan no stock, they just send 100 unit to SEA or what?

they are probably just trying to saturate or capture as much of the US/UK market before scorpio launch because that is where Scorpio will be a competition to them

noobie

Banned
Are you talking about USA? I can't see numbers.

Unknown?

Are you talking about USA? I can't see numbers.
We don't have USA numbers yet, he's talking U.K. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Sony wiped out most of their gains this month. Last year they increased their lead by 200+k in November.

Hunter X Hunter.

Don't watch it.

That transformation GIF happens only once in the anime and you'll have to watch ~140 episodes (much of it mediocre) just to get to that moment.

It isn't worth it.

Just watch the fight where he transforms.

image.php

for the NPD thread, will there be sales data on the NES Classic Mini? Nintendo revealed Famicom Mini numbers, but I don't recall seeing anything for NA.

spwolf

they are probably just trying to saturate or capture as much of the US/UK market before scorpio launch because that is where Scorpio will be a competition to them

i doubt they undershipped anywhere, they just did not expect to sell this many.

Here in Eastern Europe they said they have many units available at launch and yet it still sold out. On other hand, for instance PSVR has delayed launch outside main markets and it is expected late January 2017.

For first 15-20 days you could easily get Pro everywhere... it just sold out.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have tried, but I just don't understand how people like anime. It is hard to watch from every perspective- art style to story lines.

Uhh you realize anime covers everything from children's show to adult content and a huge variety of art styles at this point? Its not all DBZ and Pokemon. Thought this is getting off topic at this point.

Guymelef

When PS4 "underperforms" on November NPD and at the same time they make the best BF (worldwide) people should realize how big is the world for PS out of US...

i doubt they undershipped anywhere, they just did not expect to sell this many.

Here in Eastern Europe they said they have many units available at launch and yet it still sold out. On other hand, for instance PSVR has delayed launch outside main markets and it is expected late January 2017.

For first 15-20 days you could easily get Pro everywhere... it just sold out.

Yeah i think if we go by the ship numbers Sony wanted for this FY they did not expect a lot of pro sales.

Is this not true though?

If that is true then I guess SUPER DEEP DISCOUNTS, BUNDLES GALORE, DROPPING KINECT, PRICE DROP, AFTER PRICE DROP, BACKTRACKING ON POLICY ALL DONE THROUGHOUT FROM LAUNCH TO THE PRESENT, just to win a few measly months and Lose on Microsoft's most coveted month of the year. Black Friday. Is also true.

It goes both ways. The difference is that one is proactive and the other is reactive

Yes!! This month matters because my favourite console beat out its competitor!

I'm curious as to how close the two were though, and how much they sold of PS4 Pro. Would they release those numbers separately –– PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Even tho in the predictions thread I picked PS4 as the winner I also thought XBO had this won. I was prepared to just be off on the numbers.

The PS4 Slim deals just didnt look too appealing. And I was also one that was holding out for the Pro. I got an XBO S for the kids.

Now that I think about it...hindsight n all....this is normal for this gen.

PS4 has constantly outsold the XBO even when the XBO was the same price or cheaper. With many XBO bundles the PS4 still outsold it.

For whatever reasons ppl just wanted a PS4 more than an XBO and its still true now. Even similarly priced it was always in favor of PS4.

Only things that caused a blip was the XBO S and the PS4 Pro. Now that the dust has settled its back to normal.

Yes!! This month matters because my favourite console beat out its competitor!

I'm curious as to how close the two were though, and how much they sold of PS4 Pro. Would they release those numbers separately –– PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro?
No, combined as we saw with the 50M sold announcement.

That data may leak from NPD leakers though. Or at least hints.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony seems to finally be pulling out all the stops like

tumblr_ndymolNGiv1twkncpo4_500.gif

Let's see if MS can make a comeback next month with their deals. MS are banking on Scorpio but that's in about 12 months, they need to have a gameplan for next year already done and dusted

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
December will be crucial to see if Microsoft can still compete

Unknown?

Sony seems to finally be pulling out all the stops like

tumblr_ndymolNGiv1twkncpo4_500.gif

Let's see if MS can make a comeback next month with their deals. MS are banking on Scorpio but that's in about 12 months, they need to have a gameplan for next year already done and dusted
Not likely. PS4 sold every last FFXV LE console and won Cyber Monday which are all counted in December NPD. So they already started out ahead.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not likely. PS4 sold every last FFXV LE console and won Cyber Monday which are all counted in December NPD. So they already started out ahead.

I get that it doesn't look good, especially with the games coming out early next year, but they still need to have a game plan in place to keep a steady pace.

gAg CruSh3r

Is the ps4 pro and regular ps4 counts to the same sells for the NPD? If so, I feel like this was a given win for Sony. I picked up a pro last month and three other games.

Unknown?

I get that it doesn't look good, especially with the games coming out early next year, but they still need to have a game plan in place to keep a steady pace.

Their gameplan is always just drop the price and/or promotions. They don't have any way to compete otherwise.

Whats funny about MAU is Sony could speak on it too but they rarely do. I have seen it mentioned about Sony here n there.

MS went back n forth from sales to MAU to sales to MAU when they couldnt really have PR about sales.

And when I got an XBO for the kids I totally forgot about UHD blu ray play back. Even in XBO threads recently I said BC was a reason to get one and still forgot about UHD play back.

See...IMO the key difference between the PS1, PS2 and PS3 is the media format was the main one as a feature. UHD is a type of Blu Ray. In the PS3 it was just Blu Ray. In PS2 it was just DVD. PS1 just CD. To some, probably many ppl UHD isnt gonna make that much of a difference vs standard Blu Ray.

Still woulda been nice Sony, lol.

I don't consider PS4 a media machine. I mean it's not for me. It has no IR port and no way of adding IR support, so my universal remote can't work seamlessly. Therefore I don't use it for any media stuff. Sony lost me on that front right there. I am not going to be using some shitty PS4 remote or a controller to play back movies anyway. That's caveman shit to me.

UHD is a pretty minor thing. There will be cheap players soon enough, when or if 4K becomes a major thing which it's not yet.

I know the above is not some majority opinion. Just saying that for me it's a game console and has been ever since launch. A $450 Pro with UHD playback would've just been a waste. I think in the mainstream $400 sans UHD is the better idea. It shows a consistency of mission: reasonably priced, reasonably powerful game console with good dev support and sound financial sense for Sony. Adding UHD for a premium would me changing what worked for them. Adding UHD at $400 would've been financially irresponsible. They did the right thing IMO.

In PS3 days it really was the only affordable BD player and was a fine media center device in general. So it was a different situation.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Top Bottom