• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of November 2016

Dunlop

The PS4 was quiet for a few months but looks like it's gone back to beast mode.

It'll be the same here, NPD threads will go from 5 pages to 100 of people high fiving themselves comforted that they made the "right" choice

(atm Pro only owner, but the negative tone of any MS thread that has positive news is palpable)

It'll be the same here, NPD threads will go from 5 pages to 100 of people high fiving themselves comforted that they made the "right" choice

(atm Pro only owner, but the negative tone of any MS thread that has positive news is palpable)

Well it wasn't much of a surprise that the XB1 was selling the most in those months here as the deals on offer were clearly much better and cheaper than the PS4s.

KORNdoggy

i think it's becasue of things like this...

Xbox won by 1500 units in September and 25k units in October.
PS4 outsold them by more than 67k units in November, 50k just during BF week.

everything needs context...and a lot of the positive MS threads usually have an air of disappointment to them when you look past the PR.

it's like when you hear about a games sales increasing by 3000%. it sounds great on paper, but without a baseline figure, it's hard to know if that's impressive or not.

people just see through the PR BS more these days, and these days MS like to spin things a lot more, at least that's how it seems.

spwolf

really? I dont see it.

It is not our problem here that Microsoft is promising wonders if you wait for Scorpio, wait for their VR and wait for... games? I mean PS even just announced tons of games and then you have MS tweeting about Scorpio in response.

First they bet on cable industry with XB1 and that failed miserably and then now they bet on 4k UHD blu-ray player and that worked for few months in 2-3 countries.

They need to bet on gamers.

What happens when Scorpio comes out and 4k blu-ray players are $99 standard price and go down to less than that on Black Friday? And plus they are better at playing 4k blu-rays since apparently XB1S is not a great player anyway?

On the other hand, Sony has Pro... has PSVR. has ton of games coming....... or you can... wait more for undisclosed MS products.

Elandyll

Banned
Didn't Sony say it was their best Black Friday?
Yep, and if they meant it WW there's no reason why it wouldn't be the same in the US as well, the largest single market on the planet for consoles. Also the month with the release of a brand new hardware with 3 months worth of pre orders...

At this point I have to wonder if Cosmic is trolling tbh, unless he has access to data we haven't seen yet, in which case he should just say so :)

Better yet, read the comments that were obviously edited by the author.

I'm amazed by the amount of effort that guy has put into editing every single comment on that post. We should all bomb it with hundreds and hundreds of replies and see if he carefully edits every single one.

OMG, I cannot believe a site like that isn't banned on here All those comments obviously were edited, not a single negative Xbox One post of any kind, only positive ones. All the rest are "I am dumb", "I am a troll" "I lead a sad life" over and over and over.

That is ridiculous, but also humorous. Wow.

I still believe PS4 will be close to flat... I can't see it doing less than 1400k.

Agreed. Last year was truly awesome for Sony, with more than 1,5mn units sold.

But we also know that Sony had the best BF week in their history. And if 60-70% of November units are being sold in that very week, it's easy to asume that total numbers won't be well below last year's.

artworks-000132643035-pc8456-t500x500.jpg

thelastword

Banned
Wait, seriously, people believe the xbone s compares to a pro? That's ridiculous. Is it because of 4k video?
Seems like nonsense but with Microsoft winning any npd this year, it seemed to work for them. I don't have a reason to buy one but they are getting close with how cheap it is to buy and I love new hardware haha.
Yeah many people went into complete xbox mode when these articles came out. It fuelled a large debate here.....

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2472539/9-reasons-why-the-xbox-one-s-is-better-than-the-ps4-pro/page/4

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/09/10/6-reasons-to-buy-an-xbox-one-s-instead-of-a-ps4-pro/#16f4e3e54d38

Some of the reasons the inquirer gave were quite laughable to be honest, but fun debates none-the-less. I guess now reality has set in people may have a different perspective...Or will they?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
May I ask what anime is this from and is it worth watching ?

Its Hunter X Hunter. Don't listen to that other guy. Its quite possibly one of the best Shonen animes/mangas out there and puts stuff like Naruto to shame. Its by the same author as Yu Yu Hakusho if you enjoyed that. The 2011 anime by Bones is 148 episodes and covers the large majority of the released manga which suffers many long running breaks because of the authors poor health. Its a bit slow to start but once it gets going its a great ride.

There is a dub for it but I'm not sure how far along it is. Toonami on Adult Swim is running the dub and is about halfway into the second arc of the series.

I really don't understand the chest beating and such because one console sold better than the other.

Confirmation bias is in play and it's understandable for those that have wanted to vent for the past few months. They've been on tender hooks for this thread as sad as it may sound.

Whatever floats peoples boat though, im just glad to see both consoles doing well in the biggest market. And just too add, well done to Sony for the Slim and the Pro, they really have nailed this gen from the off.

Dunlop

really? I dont see it.

It is not our problem here that Microsoft is promising wonders if you wait for Scorpio

c'mon there was a thread mentioning how much more powerful Scorpio was than the XB1 "old laptop..."and the thread was spun to how MS is screwing original XB1 owners over instead of being excited about game possibilities because...this is a gaming forum?

This gen I have owned a WiiU, XB1 and Ps4.

Now I only have a PS4 Pro because I prefer the ecosystem, better sales on PSN and lack of tax on digital games.

I do however find it comical that it can be posted how much superior Ps4 is to Xbox when they play mostly the same library and game difference have to be explained to us by Digital Foundry most of the time. Probably the main eason to choose either system if it is not a money issue should be preference of their first party offerings

The PS4 is stronger, but the hardware for both of them is underwhelming.

Back on topic, I'm very curious about how the Pro did. In Canada the EBgames trade in promotion was insane but I still see Pro's in any store I go to.

yurinka

So these months PS4 sold less than XBO because many people that were going to buy a PS4 did wait for the Pro, and maybe TLG/FFXV too.

The Chimera Ant arc was emotionally exhausting for me. Had to take a month long break midway before continuing.
Yeah, it was just too much...But so many humans I could watch get eaten. Shame too, because they have some of the best animated fights I've ever seen, but it's just too cruel a show for me to watch every week or even binge on.

c'mon there was a thread mentioning how much more powerful Scorpio was than the XB1 "old laptop..."and the thread was spun to how MS is screwing original XB1 owners over instead of being excited about game possibilities because...this is a gaming forum?

Umm...yeah? The "Neo" was rumored before MS's Scorpio and the majority of the posts were "this is screwing over us regular PS4 owners, I don't want to upgrade yet".

That only started to die down once MS announced it too, and once people saw it wasn't such a vast improvement over standard PS4 and built mostly for 4K TV owners. GAF is just negative, about a lot of stuff regardless of brand .

wapplew

I think at this point of the generation, the "gap" make no different in grand scheme of thing.
It doesn't matter market share is 2:1 or 3:1, it's not like western AAA going to ignore 20+m of Xbox one install base or Japanese will suddenly support it because it sold better in the west.
From a user perspective, it's save to say nothing going to change the support for both platforms, surely won't change because the gap is wider or narrower by few hundred k.

Elandyll

Banned
So these months PS4 sold less than XBO because many people that were going to buy a PS4 did wait for the Pro, and maybe TLG/FFXV too.
I think that beside wanting to actually buy the Pro regardless when delaying a buy, it may also have created for potential buyers a climate in which many decided to take a wait and see approach in Sept- October, knowing the price differential seemed to be "only" $100 and deciding to see what kind of deals would be had on the slim alongside the launch of the Pro in Nov (as well as see how it would be received).
All the while, the XB1S was getting pretty killer deals (particularly in Sept but also Oct). I think all in all a lot of factors played to boost XB1S sale numbers and depress PS4 ones, which came to a halt in November, while the UHD feature has imo been way overblown.
Time will tell though.

I think at this point of the generation, the "gap" make no different in grand scheme of thing.
It doesn't matter market share is 2:1 or 3:1, it's not like western AAA going to ignore 20+m of Xbox one install base or Japanese will suddenly support it because it sold better in the west.
From a user perspective, it's save to say nothing going to change the support for both platforms, surely won't change because the gap is wider or narrower by few hundred k.
Yeah, nothing big should change. VR content will probably favor PS going forward. Should be an interesting dynamic with Switch in the market and what that does to the Japanese market.

Unknown?

I think that beside wanting to actually buy the Pro regardless when delaying a buy, it may also have created for potential buyers a climate in which many decided to take a wait and see approach in Sept- October, knowing the price differential seemed to be "only" $100 and deciding to see what kind of deals would be had on the slim alongside the launch of the Pro in Nov (as well as see how it would be received).
All the while, the XB1S was getting pretty killer deals (particularly in Sept but also Oct). I think all in all a lot of factors played to boost XB1S sale numbers and depress PS4 ones, which came to a halt in November, while the UHD feature has imo been way overblown.
Time will tell though.

Well not in a large scale but I'm pretty sure it'll be easier for Sony to secure exclusives here and there.

spwolf

c'mon there was a thread mentioning how much more powerful Scorpio was than the XB1 "old laptop...".

well first of all, Scorpio does not exist and it wont go on sale for at least 11 months. So threads are just based on MS trying to build hype off unexisting product right now. So they are competing with Pro and PSVR with vague tweets about currently not existing products. I think that is never going to end well.

As to how Pro did, it is sold out in Amazon USA and Europe. I think that means it is doing marvelous.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
People really want it to be a big deal when most people don't really care about disc anymore.

the world is changing & watching movies is so simple now without having to insert a disc.

Lets not get crazy here. It's not the end of the world, but it would have made the PS4 PRO a better box if it had a UHD drive.

Footos22

OMG, I cannot believe a site like that isn't banned on here All those comments obviously were edited, not a single negative Xbox One post of any kind, only positive ones. All the rest are "I am dumb", "I am a troll" "I lead a sad life" over and over and over.

That is ridiculous, but also humorous. Wow.

This is the same site Crapgamer gets all his "news" material from and cites it as being from the "media" The guy who wrote that opinion piece is often a part of Crapgamers circlejerk podcasts. He's a fan boy and nothing more.

Rymuth

I think at this point of the generation, the "gap" make no different in grand scheme of thing..
It makes a difference in the case of preventing 3rd parties from excluding PS4 not the other way around. Had there been no gap, MS would have had an easier time making games like Titanfall 2 completely exclusive to their platform.

Top Bottom