• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Square2015

Not sure exactly of the ranking of Oct 09 after the top 10 but check out all the hits and classics released:

From Jet Force Gemini to FF Anthology, FFIII to Sonic & Kncukles, GTA: San Andreas [all-time record up to that point] to Paper Mario 1000-yr door, UNcharted 2 to WiiFit Plus. Second months for the Dreamcast, FFVIII, Mortal Kombat II, Halo ODST, Dino Crisis, Illusion of Gaia etc.

W1, W2 = weeks covered in month
NfrxoIg.png

OCT 09:
Wii 507k
PS3 321k
X360 250k

OCT 04:
PS2 291k
XB 212k
GC 109k

OCT 99
PSX 360k
N64 220k
DC 170k

OCT 94
GEN 210k
SNES 170k

Agreed. The NVidia Shield is an even more problematic one since it has a strong gaming focus. It even ships with a gaming controller. The idea of putting these consoles in nice neatly packaged console generations is out of date. It no longer applies. We should categorize these release by the types of software they offer and who they target for an audience, not by their release date.

Those Halo Amazon preorders are what pushed the XB1 over the PS4 in October sales. If you only looked at the October rankings, the PS4 should have come out on top.

Yea, I meant more in regards to the actual numbers, which weren't very impressive.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
In 2015, lose Ubi, throw in Warners, and you have your 5.

Don't discount Nintendo's publishing strength. They might not sell a ton of boxes, but boy oh boy do they sell some software.
And I feel like they're one of the few publishers that still puts out a lot of family friendly games...

Don't let HW sway you. Those guys are doing really well despite some HW challenges.

So do you think first party Wii U software sales are fairly decent considering the shape of the Wii U?

Yea, I meant more in regards to the actual numbers, which weren't very impressive.

Amazon is pretty good at determining hardware position. It doesn't do so well with the actual values. For this reason it also gets tricky when MS and Sony don't have the same number of bundles on the list. For example, is a #11 rank greater than or less than a #18 and #23 combined? However with the PS4 currently occupying all the spots #17 through #20 and the first XB1 not showing up til #32, November looks like it is going to be a blowout for Sony.

What arbitrary connotations for consoles as failed or not. Xbox was not a "failed console" as it launched their video game console "career" as a company. The PS3, while it definitely sold units, could easily count as a failed console based on how much money was lost to it. Actually by that profit definition, very few consoles actually made money just through hardware (Nintendo was typically the exception here). I think you mean "not leading in cumulative hardware sales", but wanted to exempt the PS3 & 360 somehow...

Don't get hung up on my use of the word "failed." Replace it with "unsuccessful relative to generation" if that makes you feel better. It's just a way to make sense of the fact that relatively successful consoles very clearly seem to stay on the market longer than relatively unsuccessful consoles, and that people are talking about five years as the average lifespan of a console when it clearly is not.

The overall point is that five years is not the average lifespan of a successful console. Of relatively successful consoles (NES, SNES, Wii, Genesis, PS1, PS2, PS3, 360) five years is the absolute bottom of the range. Of relatively unsuccessful consoles (N64, GC, Master, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox) five years is the absolute top of the range.

LOCK

Do we have any idea of how much software is sold YOY, and has anyone created a chart to compare total software sold yearly?

Mory Dunz

So do you think first party Wii U software sales are fairly decent considering the shape of the Wii U?

He keeps mentioning it, but he's not specifically saying Wii U I believe. He's saying Nintendo.

There might be monthly low sales of Splatoons, MK8, Brawl, MKwii, MK7, NSMBWii, NSMB2, etc...
...that all add up to an effton each month.

Didn't we see that MKwii or something sold 240k last quarter?

edit: found it

Code:
Sys.	Title						Q3 '15		LTD as of Sep. '15

3DS	Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer		2.020.000	2.020.000
3DS	Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire		420.000		10.690.000
3DS	Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS		330.000		7.370.000
3DS	Mario Kart 7					270.000		12.190.000
3DS	Animal Crossing: New Leaf			270.000		9.440.000
3DS	Tomodachi Life					180.000		4.480.000
3DS	New Super Mario Bros. 2				170.000		9.470.000
3DS	Pokemon X / Y					160.000		14.150.000
3DS	Super Mario 3D Land				110.000		10.210.000
3DS	Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon			70.000		4.610.000
3DS	The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D		50.000		3.820.000

Code:
Sys.	Title						Q2+Q3 '15	LTD as of Sep. '15

Wii	Wii Party					230.000		9.150.000	(three quarters)
Wii	New Super Mario Bros. Wii			190.000		29.510.000
Wii	Super Smash Bros. Brawl				160.000		12.930.000
Wii	Mario Kart Wii					150.000		36.530.000
Wii	Super Mario Galaxy				90.000		12.590.000
Wii	Wii Sports Resort				70.000		32.870.000
Wii	Wii Sports					30.000		82.720.000
Wii	Wii Play					0		28.020.000
Wii	Wii Fit						0		22.670.000
Wii	Wii Fit Plus					0		21.110.000

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130837&highlight=nintendo+sales

That graph is total consumer spend on Packaged software. You asked if packaged software spend really declined. Just showing that indeed it did.
Yeah, my bad. I'd also been asking for title counts reaching further back, and when I saw the big chart, I didn't realize you'd "switched" metrics on me. ><

Anyway, it's safe to assume this chart includes handheld spending? Then I'm gonna guess that coupled with the Wii shovelware* caused the weird spike 07-11, and I'd say we've pretty much returned to normalcy, especially when you account for the migration of mid- and low-tier releases to digital that's been occurring over the last five years or so.

*I don't actually think of it as shovelware. I'm just referring to the large amount of "ultra-casual" software that did well on the Wii before drying up as those users realized their new phone had fun games too.

But multiplatform releases in the total release count charts only count as 1 release.
Noted, thanks. Then can I ask what may cause you to think the NX would help increase variety versus the Wii U?

EA does own its own digital distribution platform though, so that helps them.
I haven't listened to the call, but just reading the quotes, it seemed like he was mostly talking about what's happening with Gen8. Were sales through Origin factored in to the double-margins comment?

You're not understanding the terminology. Incremental means, in this case, additive to the pie. Digital provides opportunity for more sales than Packaged alone, and 1 digital sale does not necessarily mean 1 less packaged sale.
Huh. I thought incremental were the people who say, "Oh, I don't need to get off the toilet? In that case, I guess I'll go ahead and buy it." Those sales have no effect on retail sales. Then substitutive were the people who say, "I already got it digitally, and I don't need two copies," and those digital sales subtract from packaged sales, 1-for-1. Is that not correct? =/

I'm not concerned, so I don't need to be consoled, and I'm not trying to look at everything holistically in one big picture. And the Packaged space is not old and sickly, but underserved. Which is my whole point. If we had more Packaged games releasing, sales of Packaged products in whole would go up.
Sure, but again, so what? Why do we care if packaged sales increase? Packaged sales kinda sound like a huge waste of money to me. If games can actually find more success by avoiding packaged sales, then more power to them, I'd say.

Irrelevant to the math =/= unimportant or meaningless.
Aren't the substitutive sales &#8212; whether through people buying AAA digitally or through games skipping retail entirely &#8212; pretty relevant when examining drops? =/

I'm saying that the data suggests that substitution is not happening, or at least that there are enough new, incremental, digital purchasers that would not have bought packaged that it makes any shifting meaningless in the data.

The data I look at (both Packaged and Digital) suggests to me that a "shift" from Packaged to Digital is not really happening, but rather that Digital is growing the overall pie.
What data, specifically? EA said 20% digital on Gen8 right now. So if Star Wars is gonna sell 10M copies, that's 8M physical and 2M digital. You're saying that the 2M digital sales are merely bonus sales from the toilet-sitters, and that number contains a negligible/immeasurable number of substitutive sales because people simply don't substitute, so in 3-4 years when digital is 40% of sales, we'll still just have the same 2M toilet-sitters while physical sales dwindle to 3M copies? Because people stopped showing up at the stores entirely, since DQH2 is digital-only, leaving no "variety" on the shelves? I thought no one showing up at the stores cared about DQH in the first place. =/

I assumed the transition from 20% to 40% would be substitutive, meaning they'd still have 10M sales in 2018, but it'd be 6M physical and 4M digital, because an additional 2M buyers said, "Pfft, I really don't need the disc, and I could be playing at midnight instead of merely paying for my purchase before I then brave the November weather and begin the wait for the install." But the data suggests this isn't the case, apparently? Any chance you can you be any more explicit?

So which generation is the Apple TV a part of?
8? 8a?

allan-bh

Maybe I should go back a year?

I think is better keep to not break the chronological sequence initiated.

Not sure exactly of the ranking of Oct 09 after the top 10 but check out all the hits and classics released:

From Jet Force Gemini to FF Anthology, FFIII to Sonic & Kncukles, GTA: San Andreas [all-time record up to that point] to Paper Mario 1000-yr door, UNcharted 2 to WiiFit Plus. Second months for the Dreamcast, FFVIII, Mortal Kombat II, Halo ODST, Dino Crisis, Illusion of Gaia etc.

Many interesting debuts and second months.

Also I always thought that Sonic Adventure was the best selling title in the beginning of Dreamcast, it's interesting that NFL 2K sold more in first and second month.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
For the vast majority of their lifecycles, the following boxes were competing with the following other boxes. That's what a console generation is in my mind and I think to most others. Saying the Wii U isn't a part of the 8th generation is claiming it was technically competing with the 360/PS3 for most of its life as opposed to the PS4/XB1. That's incorrect.

One might argue that WiiU is not competing at all.

Less snidily put, WiiU has different audience than Xbox One and PS4. It sells with completely different value proposition (only platform on which you can play Nintendo games) that overlaps only marginally with that of the other consoles'. At least I don't consider WiiU or PS4 being able to substitute for each other. For either, the purchase decision is made pretty independently of whether or not you own the other.

So I guess I agree with QaaQer: talking about generations is more or less arbitrary. Only context in which you can lump WiiU, Xbox One and PS4 in the same category is NPD sales discussion. And then you'll also have 3DS.

AniHawk

One might argue that WiiU is not competing at all.

Less snidily put, WiiU has different audience than Xbox One and PS4. It sells with completely different value proposition (only platform on which you can play Nintendo games) that overlaps only marginally with that of the other consoles'. At least I don't consider WiiU or PS4 being able to substitute for each other. For either, the purchase decision is made pretty independently of whether or not you own the other.

So I guess I agree with QaaQer: talking about generations is more or less arbitrary. Only context in which you can lump WiiU, Xbox One and PS4 in the same category is NPD sales discussion. And then you'll also have 3DS.

different audiences really seemed to be a thing in the ps2/xb/gc/dc era, or n64/psx/sat era, or even genesis/snes era. before last gen, exclusives really helped to define a platform, and not all multiplatform experiences were created equal.

AniHawk

Well, unless I missed something, Steam don't stream games either.

which should indicate that i don't think steam streams games?

And again, I would argue that it turned out that's where they differed most, and it turned out handhelds had far more overlap with smartphones when it came to interactivity and general use case.

dedicated handheld systems are the most casual play-as-you-go platforms of dedicated gaming hardware just by their very nature of behind portable. what we saw with mobile wasn't that it ate the dedicate market's lunch only, but that it kind of ate into other casual franchises pretty heavily - kids games, family titles, fitness stuff - they all started to decline pretty heavily in 2011 and eventually only a few managed success to a degree on nintendo platforms where nintendo's always been strong. except minecraft. microsoft's got that shit locked down in the us (and japan on vita). this doesn't mean that handhelds and mobile devices are the same. i don't think you would count steam and playstation 4 as the same. they don't even play the same games a lot of the time, and the method of interaction is different, and the market is different for all parties involved.

gtj1092

On the generations debate shouldn't we consider this gen starting in February 2011 with the 3DS if we're to claim that there is no difference between handhelds and consoles?

Edit: Odin sphere is number one on Amazon. April will be interesting.

ethomaz

Banned
Wii U was launched only one year before PS4 and XB1, like 360 1 year before PSWii, like PS2 1 year before XBOXGC... Wii U is 8* gen, that's a Fact.

Just like the Xbox 360 launched as the same gen as PS2/ GC amirite?
There is a big difference...

In PS2/360 case the industry shifted to the "new gen"... the 3rd supported it... now about Wii U it was not the case the industry did hold the 7* gen until PS4/Xbone.

How can you consider the begin of a gen when no company did supported with new gen games? That is my point.

NX will receive this gen games and not next gen too.

But at the end it is all my opinion :)

Bruno MB

UK physical game sales in November are 28% up by revenue over last year so far, quite a contrast to last month where sales fell by 24%. November is living up to retailers expectations, now it's time for Star Wars Battlefront to deliver.

Should we expect the same scenario for the US market?

Please note that GfK Chart-Track doesn't share the same calendar as NPD. GfK Chart-Track November 2015 retail period is from October 26 to November 21, 2015.

uFalM.png

Entertainment Software Sales

Code:
[B]November, 2015[/B]

Week 44, 2015 - 716,741 units / £26.2m [notable releases: Halo 5: Guardians]
Week 45, 2015 - 1,216,280 units / £49.3m [notable releases: Call of Duty: Black Ops III]
Week 46, 2015 - 1,430,108 units / £54.6m [notable releases: Fallout 4, Rise Of The Tomb Raider]
Week 47, 2015 - _________ units / £____m [notable releases: Star Wars: Battlefront]

[B]November, 2014[/B]

Week 44, 2014 - 534,183 units / £16.3m [notable releases: nothing]
Week 45, 2014 - 1,265,418 units / £48.5m [notable releases: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare]
Week 46, 2014 - 1,022,296 units / £36.9m [notable releases: Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Assassin's Creed: Unity]
Week 47, 2014 - 1,486,145 units / £57.4m [notable releases: Grand Theft Auto V, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition]

ethomaz

Banned
UK physical game sales in November are 28% up by revenue over last year so far, quite a contrast to last month good where sales fell by 24%. November is living up to retailers expectations, now it's time for Star Wars Battlefront to deliver.

Should we expect the same scenario for the US market?

Please note that GfK Chart-Track doesn't share the same calendar as NPD. GfK Chart-Track November 2015 retail period is from October 26 to November 21, 2015.

uFalM.png

Entertainment Software Sales

Code:
[B]November, 2015[/B]

Week 44, 2015 - 716,741 units / £26.2m [notable releases: Halo 5: Guardians]
Week 45, 2015 - 1,216,280 units / £49.3m [notable releases: Call of Duty: Black Ops III]
Week 46, 2015 - 1,430,108 units / £54.6m [notable releases: Fallout 4, Rise Of The Tomb Raider]
Week 47, 2015 - _________ units / £____m [notable releases: Star Wars: Battlefront]

[B]November, 2014[/B]

Week 44, 2014 - 534,183 units / £16.3m [notable releases: nothing]
Week 45, 2014 - 1,265,418 units / £48.5m [notable releases: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare]
Week 46, 2014 - 1,022,296 units / £36.9m [notable releases: Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Assassin's Creed: Unity]
Week 47, 2014 - 1,486,145 units / £57.4m [notable releases: Grand Theft Auto V, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition]
Looks like Halo and Fallout pushed more than the games released last year.

sörine

Banned
There is a big difference...

In PS2/360 case the industry shifted to the "new gen"... the 3rd supported it... now about Wii U it was not the case the industry did hold the 7* gen until PS4/Xbone.

How can you consider the begin of a gen when no company did supported with new gen games? That is my point.

NX will receive this gen games and not next gen too.

But at the end it is all my opinion :)
Ubisoft, Sega and some others did with exclusives Wii U's first year.

I mean does their own overwhelming prominence of early cross-gen games mean Xbox One and PS4 were also really Gen 6 consoles. How many Gen 7 exclusive games did 3rd parties put for their launches and following windows?

Shahed

sörine;186034631 said:
Ubisoft, Sega and some others did with exclusives Wii U's first year.

I mean does their own overwhelming prominence of early cross-gen games mean Xbox One and PS4 were also really Gen 6 consoles. How many Gen 7 exclusive games did 3rd parties put for their launches and following windows?

Wii U belongs in the same generation as PS4 and Xbox One. Of that there is not doubt. However if Nintendo decides to maintain shorter cycles, the issue could become murky

Say 2016 is NX launch and the beginning of Gen 9. Maybe we don't get the new PS/XB until 2018/2019. Lets say they are also Gen 9 since Nintendo got there first a few years in advance. Say in 2020 Nintendo starts Gen 10. Playstation and Xbox may hold off 2024, but within a year of that we could have yet another new Nintendo launch and starting another generation (Gen 11). So we'd have systems all launching within a year of each other but belonging to different generations (Gen 10 PS/XB, Gen 11 Nintendo). What about the next time around? Does Nintendo officially start Gen 12 before Sony and Microsoft have even joined Gen 11?

The terms console generation becomes pretty meaningless. Better to just think of then as the new platform in that particular ecosystem

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wii U belongs in the same generation as PS4 and Xbox One. Of that there is not doubt. However if Nintendo decides to maintain shorter cycles, the issue could become murky

Say 2016 is NX launch and the beginning of Gen 9. Maybe we don't get the new PS/XB until 2018/2019. Lets say they are also Gen 9 since Nintendo got there first a few years in advance. Say in 2020 Nintendo starts Gen 10. Playstation and Xbox may hold off 2024, but within a year of that we could have yet another new Nintendo launch and starting another generation (Gen 11). So we'd have systems all launching within a year of each other but belonging to different generations (Gen 10 PS/XB, Gen 11 Nintendo). What about the next time around? Does Nintendo officially start Gen 12 before Sony and Microsoft have even joined Gen 11?

The terms console generation becomes pretty meaningless. Better to just think of then as the new platform in that particular ecosystem

I agree. I didnt really think it was debatable that the Wii U is an 8th gen console. I assumed wrong...

What I do think is debatable is the NX starts 9th gen if it releases next year....for home consoles. If it does I cant see Sony really caring due to PS4 sales right now. MS...maybe they care. Its happened before where companies release consoles quickly after a previous one. Usually its because of poor sales of the previous one. Thats why I say last gen as a whole was an anomaly. It was the longest gen if I'm not mistaken. And the only gen where there were just 3 main home console competing....if I'm not mistaken. And it looks like 5-6 years was the norm before last gen.

I have a feeling PSVR could be seen as a counter to NX home console being the start of 9th gen. Especially if Nintendo does some hook, gimmick, whatever you wanna call it. They both supposedly will launch next year. I'm guessing its going to be the NX handheld that comes out next year.

Generations also start to become meaningless when some last gen consoles keep selling after the start of a new gen. Do we start comparing sales to last gen/new gen cutoff times? As it stands right now both the PS3 and 360 are within 10 million of the Wii...which IMO is almost amazing looking back in hindsight. Might not look as good if we only count up to 2012...

UK physical game sales in November are 28% up by revenue over last year so far... Should we expect the same scenario for the US market?

I fully expect double digit % growth vs last year. A rebounding Call of Duty, Fallout and Battlefront compared to last year's top 3 of CODAW, GTAV and Smash? The top 3 alone could drive double digit growth.

So yes, I expect a stellar month. Because big games were released.

Based on consumer spend on 1st party titles per installed base unit? Absolutely. And it's not even close. Nintendo drives more software revenue per unit of hardware than anyone else on any platform by a significant factor. Just looking at the HW numbers will give people a very false impression for sure.

Do we have any idea of how much software is sold YOY, and has anyone created a chart to compare total software sold yearly?

There's a chart in the last few pages, but without numbers. Sorry. But you can see the trend.

YTD, software consumer spend in Packaged is flat vs year ago. As is release count.

BKK

Here's how the console generations were originally defined before the problem of citogenesis of Wikipedia's console generation categories occured (Atari 5200 being classified as the same generation as Atari 2600 bugs me).

I fully expect double digit % growth vs last year. A rebounding Call of Duty, Fallout and Battlefront compared to last year's top 3 of CODAW, GTAV and Smash? The top 3 alone could drive double digit growth.

So yes, I expect a stellar month. Because big games were released.

Queso, you think that'll apply to console sales as well? Pretty positive report from Abdiel the other day. I know that's just one slice of a much larger pie, but those bundles seem to be selling incredibly well. You think we'll see 1 million+ sales for PS4/X1 in November? My gut tells me absolutely, but wanted a bigger brain to weigh in.

Queso, you think that'll apply to console sales as well? Pretty positive report from Abdiel the other day. I know that's just one slice of a much larger pie, but those bundles seem to be selling incredibly well. You think we'll see 1 million+ sales for PS4/X1 in November? My gut tells me absolutely, but wanted a bigger brain to weigh in.

To be honest, there are much smarter people with much bigger brains in the thread (the predictions thread in particular) that look at hardware sales whose thoughts I'd take over mine any day of the week. Hell, I get most of my own hardware guidance from there.

To be honest, there are much smarter people with much bigger brains in the thread (the predictions thread in particular) that look at hardware sales whose thoughts I'd take over mine any day of the week. Hell, I get most of my own hardware guidance from there.

You know a hell of a lot more about salesGAF than I do, that's for sure :)

Anyone else wanna chime in? Start the speculation?

Welfare

You know a hell of a lot more about salesGAF than I do, that's for sure :)

Anyone else wanna chime in? Start the speculation?

1 million sales for each is guaranteed this November because of the games releasing and both being $349 for the entire month plus being $299 on Black Friday.

1 million sales for each is guaranteed this November because of the games releasing and both being $349 for the entire month plus being $299 on Black Friday.

Not only that, I feel as if they need to at least hit those numbers. Otherwise, the October numbers look even more awful in hindsight.

QaaQer

I don't think anything is guaranteed. My guess is that total hardware (3ds, vita, wiiu, ps4, x1, 360, ps3) will be under 2.2 million for the month.

Welfare

I don't think anything is guaranteed. My guess is that total hardware (3ds, vita, wiiu, ps4, x1, 360, ps3) will be under 2.2 million for the month.

That would be worse than last year and would be a disaster.

Just the Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U equaled 2.3 million last November.

So, the average change in hardware vs last year in each month of 2015 has been -3%.

Now, out of nowhere, supported by huge launches of COD, FO4 and SWBF, we're going to see a decline of -33% in November?

Cool.

Mikey Jr.

So, the average change in hardware vs last year in each month of 2015 has been -3%.

Now, out of nowhere, supported by huge launches of COD, FO4 and SWBF, we're going to see a decline of -33% in November?

Well, now that your rear has had a chance to make a prediction, would your head like to give it another go?

Also ps4 and xb1 at 299.

Yeah,that prediction is fucking terrible.

Kill3r7

There is little chance of that happening. If it did, it would be an absolute disaster. Both consoles should be over 1M each and WiiU+3DS should be around 500K - 750K.

Elandyll

Banned
There is little chance of that happening. If it did, it would be an absolute disaster. Both consoles should be over 1M each and WiiU+3DS could be around 500K - 750K.
That's pretty much what I'm saying.

Basically it would mean that in the month of Fallout 4, COD, Battlefront, RotTR, Halo5 available, XB1 with free game almost every week, PS4 with 2 huge bundles and 2 months of well placed pre orders (and free Fallout4 around release) AND $50 price drop ($100 on BF) -and- Black Friday, XB1 and PS4 would barely do a mix of 2m combined, and everything else 200k combined?

What in the world...

QaaQer

My thinking is simply if x1/ps4 are front loaded, Nov 2015 is when it will show. 3ds + wiiu are lame duck hardware. Ps3 + 360 + Vita are pretty much dead. So, 2.2.

If I'm wrong, and they aren't front loaded, then what would be a good hardware guess?

Anyway, it's safe to assume this chart includes handheld spending?

Yep.

Then I'm gonna guess that coupled with the Wii shovelware* caused the weird spike 07-11.

Nope. The lower tier Wii games never sold very well, outside a couple outliers like Carnival Games.

The big spike was driven by the rise of Guitar Hero and Rock Band, helped by the boom of Call of Duty and the big Wii 1st party titles, and a bunch of other things.

The sales curve was bound at some point to regress to the mean, especially when it became clear that Dance/Music was a fad. But now sales have regressed below the mean, based on publishers reducing release counts to below market demand levels. I also think once more titles enter the market, consumer sales will return to the long-term mean.

Unless publishers are scared off by rising production costs or find other markets that are more appealing or they think could provide a higher chance of or greater potential returns.

Noted, thanks. Then can I ask what may cause you to think the NX would help increase variety versus the Wii U?

I just think it might. Or it might not. I have no idea. It's possible.

Huh. I thought incremental were the people who say, "Oh, I don't need to get off the toilet? In that case, I guess I'll go ahead and buy it." Those sales have no effect on retail sales. Then substitutive were the people who say, "I already got it digitally, and I don't need two copies," and those digital sales subtract from packaged sales, 1-for-1. Is that not correct? =/

At an individual level, sure. However you can only apply this to the total market if you assume that the number of consumers in the market is static. However, the data suggests to me that enough consumers are buying Digital that would not buy New Packaged, or that there are more of these people being added to the pie than the substitute customers remove. The addressable market "pie" is getting bigger with Digital. Digital is not primarily taking away from the Packaged sales pie, it's adding to the total pie of addressable consumers.

Or, a different way of putting it, think of the number of opportunities to buy. With just Packaged, a person has the opportunity to buy while in a store, or while browsing a retailer website or App. With Digital, the number of opportunities to buy are increased pretty significantly, especially for Core games who spend a lot of time on the box. Additional, incremental, sales result from more opportunities to buy.

Sure, but again, so what? Why do we care if packaged sales increase?

I don't care if anyone cares about it. NPD tracks Packaged sales. We talk about Packaged sales. The Packaged market is relevant to these conversations. You don't have to care about it if you don't want to.

Packaged sales kinda sound like a huge waste of money to me.

Sure, other people buy Packaged exclusively. Variety is the spice, or something.

If games can actually find more success by avoiding packaged sales, then more power to them, I'd say.

They really can't. At least not yet.

Aren't the substitutive sales &#8212; whether through people buying AAA digitally or through games skipping retail entirely &#8212; pretty relevant when examining drops? =/

Not when hard data exists that suggests that per title sales aren't dropping.

that number contains a negligible/immeasurable number of substitutive sales because people simply don't substitute

Nope. Not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that digital is allowing more customers more opportunities to buy. A customer base is not a zero sum game. You offer people more places to buy, with more convenience, and more promotion, more customers will enter the market and more sales will result.

I assumed the transition from 20% to 40% would be substitutive, meaning they'd still have 10M sales in 2018, but it'd be 6M physical and 4M digital

That's the conventional wisdom. I think the conventional wisdom is wrong. Plenty of people may disagree (it is the conventional wisdom, after all) but I'm pretty confident in my position.

Any chance you can you be any more explicit?

Not without showing data I cannot show, unfortunately.

Thinking along these same lines, and not being afraid of making more packaged games, has worked out pretty darn well for some pubs this year.

My thinking is simply if x1/ps4 are front loaded, Nov 2015 is when it will show. 3ds + wiiu are lame duck hardware. Ps3 + 360 + Vita are pretty much dead. So, 2.2.

If I'm wrong, and they aren't front loaded, then what would be a good hardware guess?
Good question. Actually the best.
That's why we are here. But we should wait how black friday goes.
Numbers out of my butt: 2,5 for Ps4, XboxOne and WiiU combined seems fine and doable, with heavy advantage for Ps4.
2,5 without WiiU would be great.
With pricedrop, Black friday and bundle preorders this doesn't seem out of reach.

Just to repeat:
Funny, it's about 2.1m on either side at this point, to just match what they sold in all of 2014 over the next 2 months (Nov/ Dec). More exactly 2.11m for XB1 and 2.08 for PS4.
As I think December will be lower than November, PS4 and Xbox will HAVE to sell well over a Million each to at least match last year.
PS4 will do this easily, Xbox - with some efford.

hawk2025

So, trying to read absolutely anything into NPD charts is a completely hopeless endeavor, right?

Black Friday accounts for more than 50% of total sales for the month?

It seems like Halo 5 has had quite strong legs, I'm happy to see it.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Is not. Last year PS4 sold barely over 800k, and XB1 will most likely be down YOY.

Not saying both will sells under 1M, but is not a given.

For now i predict 1.05 / 1.10 millions for XB1 and 1.15 / 1.20 millions for PS4.

AniHawk

Just like the Xbox 360 launched as the same gen as PS2/ GC amirite?

pretty sure the ps2 was part of the dreamcast generation and separate from the gc/xb generation.

genesis was really part of the turbografx generation and not the super famicom generation. the n64 was a generation ahead of the psx and saturn generation as well.

Shenmue

Banned
So, trying to read absolutely anything into NPD charts is a completely hopeless endeavor, right?

Black Friday accounts for more than 50% of total sales for the month?

It seems like Halo 5 has had quite strong legs, I'm happy to see it.

Hasn't Abdiel already spoken for Best Buy that Halo 5 sales dropped heavily after FO and SW?

I coulda sworn he said that.

Top Bottom