• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Rixa

This thread just keeps giving more and more. So many nice moments in this thread :).
Apple pie with cream & sugar can wait til next month.

ethomaz

Banned
Xbox wins hardware sales and halo in at number 1. Great month for MS!

Difficult to spin that into a negative, but nice to see people try :)
The sales are bad in both cases... no matter if it is number 1 the Halo 5 numbers are terrible.

PS4 numbers are bad too.

AniHawk

catching up a bit. halo 5 is bad but hoooboy that assassin's creed syndicate.

i'm thinking that either this gen needed some new blood this year at the latest and didn't get it, or that the shrinking marketplace is starting to affect even former safe juggernauts. maybe both. i guess we'll see how codblops iii does compared to other titles. at least people seem to enjoy fallout 4 a lot. i expect stah wahs will be popular too.

FranXico

So, what are the conclusions that everyone can agree on?

Both X1 and PS4 sold below expectations, and Sony should be especially disappointed that the price drop wasn't enough to sell more hardware than Microsoft? Despite getting pretty close?

foxbeldin

Both X1 and PS4 sold below expectations, and Sony should be especially disappointed that the price drop wasn't enough to sell more hardware than Microsoft? Despite getting pretty close?

2 sides :

-November will tell the whole story

-Consoles are dad ! Halo is dad !

Sony should be disappointed that they think a 50 dollar price drop would equate to big sales.

FranXico

hoooboy that assassin's creed syndicate.

You can't just regurgitate formulaic checklist open world games every single year and not expect a franchise burnout. Ubi should have known better.

I hope Sony doesn't insist on open world games much more (if GR1&2 and Horizon are an indication), or their next few upcoming games will all suffer from being sold to a market that already got fed up of the "appeal of free roaming".

You can't just regurgitate formulaic checklist open world games every single year and not expect a franchise burnout. Ubi should have known better.

I hope Sony doesn't insist on open world games much more (if GR1&2 and Horizon are an indication), or their next few upcoming games will all suffer from being sold to a market that got fed up of the "appeal of free roaming".

Even more so when the last AC that came out was a broken mess .
When you bring out games yearly it rather easy for people to remember stuff like that .

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
There were no bundles on Yoshi's New Island. They had a Yoshi themed 3DS XL, but no Yoshi bundle.

Ah, then why was the hint back in the Yoshi (HW + SW) < 160K lol? Weird. Thanks for the reminder though, since now that you mention it, I'm remembering that too.

oSoLucky

I felt AC was going to drop hard for a while now. It's been what, 8 years straight of a game releasing every year using the same formula? It's hard to sustain when there were only a couple that stand out(2, Brotherhood, 4) and coming off of the broken mess that was Unity. It was very interesting to me, that most of my casual friends who love AC were more pissed about the chests that you had to use the app or MT to open than the bugs. Anyway, I hear this one is good, so I'll probably pick it up cheap.

Hard to say if the positive word of mouth will make a rebound for next year or not.

I hope Sony doesn't insist on open world games much more (if GR1&2 and Horizon are an indication), or their next few upcoming games will all suffer from being sold to a market that already got fed up of the "appeal of free roaming".

I'm not sure if it's the open world aspect that's the problem. I mean look at FO4 numbers. Also isn't MGS5 selling well worldwide?

I think the biggest loss in not from the hardware sales but how much Halo has declined.

mdtauk

Does anyone have the first week NPD numbers for past Assassin's Creed games? I trying to get them for a friend who wants to put some context behind this sales drop for Syndicate.

wapplew

You could say Xbox did great to win against PS4 price cut or Xbox did bad only lead 30k with their biggest title ever.
Depends on which side you take.

Don't want to add Halo launch number into discussion because it might sold as much as previous iteration when dust settle.
Too early to call it a decline.

RexNovis

Banned

It was a terrible month for everyone and everything. Both HW and SW. Especially Halo and AC. Anyone saying otherwise is spinning shit into silk so to speak.

RexNovis

Banned
Nothing better (worse) than an NPD thread with no official numbers.

Except we have nearly all the numbers. Sooo what are you trying to say exactly? Maybe you should bother to actually read the thread or just not pop in to drop a single post that contributes literally nothing to the topic of discussion.

Ricky_R

Most people thought Titanfall would give the XB1 a Halo-like boost to sales, with hindsight they were right.

89281-cheers-gif-Newsroom-Charlie-Sk-FL4B.gif

Guymelef

Don't want to add Halo launch number into discussion because it might sold as much as previous iteration when dust settle.
Too early to call it a decline.

True.
We must wait only a few years to talk about Assassin's Creed decline as well.
Syndicate might outsells AC+AC2+AC Vita

Aceofspades

Banned

X1 selling more than PS4 is expected, the thing is both X1 and PS4 sold below expectations. The major shock here is Halo numbers going down from selling 3m to only 937k with bundles.

PS4 low sales this month can be explained by BF, CoD bundles which were available early to preorder BUT both are not counted in October, Nov shall give us the whole story abot those sales.

robo

As I said early in the thread, I'm sure Sony aren't to bothered about the ps4 sales this month. They must know the pre-orders for cod/battlefront would screw the numbers.

November will be huge I feel for ps4.

Depends on how low ms can go to counteract that though.

darkwing

X1 selling more than PS4 is expected, the thing is both X1 and PS4 sold below expectations. The major shock here is Halo numbers going down from selling 3m to only 937k with bundles.

PS4 low sales this month can be explained by BF, CoD bundles which were available early to preorder BUT both are not counted in October, Nov shall give us the whole story abot those sales.

well said

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Translation = next month is going to be interesting

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ah, then why was the hint back in the Yoshi (HW + SW) < 160K lol? Weird. Thanks for the reminder though, since now that you mention it, I'm remembering that too.

I think creamsugar thought the game was included in the Yoshi hardware and thus added its number to the software numbers, but the result is that the 160k are too high for the first month of YNI. Considering YNI is now a worldwide million seller, YWW sales need not mean anything negative.

Wait, you seriously think Halo 5 will catch up to the sales figures of the previous titles?

what do you guys think Halos 5's LTD will be?

70% decline in UK and US for its first week though I don't think such a decline will be consistent throughout the following weeks. I reckon 4-5 million.

mejin

70% decline in UK and US for its first week though I don't think such a decline will be consistent throughout the following weeks. I reckon 4-5 million.

$300 bundle might help next year (even if it's not Elite) and of course cheaper price of the standard version.

allan-bh

I think creamsugar thought the game was included in the Yoshi hardware and thus added its number to the software numbers, but the result is that the 160k are too high for the first month of YNI. Considering YNI is now a worldwide million seller, YWW sales need not mean anything negative.

Yoshi's New Island sold 134k on debut month.

panda-zebra

Banned

Lifetime sales would end up boosted if/when it's heavily bundled in future, maybe going into the new year? Even if it's just a code dropped in the bag and a sticker placed on the box of existing hard bundles. Probably be a good way to keep player numbers up. But depends how the game does over the next couple of months, if it ends up being the kind of game people automatically add in when buying a console by default - obviously they wouldn't want to be missing out on such sales, but if the real money is in the microtransaction, maybe it'd be best to get it into the hands of as many players asap.

To be honest - I have no clue. I feel as if it will be more heavily bundled as time progresses, and as far as I've heard, multiplayer feedback is very positive. Combined with the trickle of free maps and DLC - it should have some decent legs.

I just can't see it reaching the same level as the previous games which had more than triple the initial sales, and in some cases, much more buzz after launch. Abdiel stated that Halo 5 has dropped significantly with the launch of Black Ops, Fallout, etc. in the Best Buy stores they looked at. While that is only one chain, it is also falling down the Amazon hourly charts. There just doesn't seem as much interest as normal around the title for a Halo launch.

As I said, it should still sell decently throughout the holidays, and being bundled in the future will help it significantly, but no way do I imagine it will get close to the past series sales. I feel as if people clinging onto that hope are only going to end up (more) disappointed. But hey, they can always play the digital card, I guess.

PS4's poor performance can be attributed to the fact the console purchase comes bundled with a game. It's not worth it if you're going to buy it with a game you don't want. Obviously it will have to perform very well next month for my theory to be correct.

timlot

Banned
Sooo, we are almost at 4,700 comments in this thread. Last months NPD thread got to 1,784 before it died. Xbox and Halo 5 was acknowledged to have won Oct. in hardware and software respectfully around post #170. After that we have around 4,500 spin post downplaying Halo 5 sales which only account for the last 5 days of October. Preseason is over indeed.

BriGuy

Crazy-ass doorbuster deals for the consoles last November have conditioned potential buyers to hold off. Let's face it, if you haven't bought an Xbone or PS4 yet, one more month of waiting isn't going to kill you, especially if it nets you $100+ in additional savings or other bonuses.

Uhm, have you read the thread? We have numbers.

So basically, excellent thread, would not read again!

You missed a lot if you didn't actually read the thread btw...

Except we have nearly all the numbers. Sooo what are you trying to say exactly? Maybe you should bother to actually read the thread or just not pop in to drop a single post that contributes literally nothing to the topic of discussion.

I read up to about 50 pages last night, and the OP only has Xbox One numbers based on percentage increase from last October.

Unless I'm going blind?

After that we have around 4,500 spin post downplaying Halo 5 sales which only account for the last 5 days of October. Preseason is over indeed.

You have to acknowledge that even with a shorter tracking period, the sales are disappointing relative to previous entries though? Considering how front-loaded sales for games are, the extra 2-3 weeks or so of tracking would not do much to change the conclusion.

I read up to about 50 pages last night, and the OP only has Xbox One numbers based on percentage increase from last October.

Unless I'm going blind?

Within the next 10 pages things start to get "interesting".

Sooo, we are almost at 4,700 comments in this thread. Last months NPD thread got to 1,784 before it died. Xbox and Halo 5 was acknowledged to have won Oct. in hardware and software respectfully around post #170. After that we have around 4,500 spin post downplaying Halo 5 sales which only account for the last 5 days of October. Preseason is over indeed.

Come on, you can do better than that...

sphinx

the piano man
Uhm, have you read the thread? We have numbers.

So basically, excellent thread, would not read again!

You missed a lot if you didn't actually read the thread btw...

there are 94 pages now and I am late to the thread/party, just like many others....

can someone please be kind enough to put the highlights in a single posts? no sources or links needed, just what we know for a fact is right and worth commenting (halo 5, AC, hardware, etc)

thank you in advance whoever takes their time to put it together.

Top Bottom