• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

JoshuaJSlone said:
So putting these together again, the results are the same as a few months ago: everyone seems to buy games at a similar rate.

X360: 0.091 games per week
Wii: 0.091 games per week
PS3: 0.092 games per week

That's sort of spooky.

[edit]

What was the rate the last time you did that calculation?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Olaeh said:
In comparison, how well did Muramasa sell in Japan? I forget, but I think I remember seeing it put up similar numbers. It's WW LTD might not be so bad in the end.

29,000 in its opening week with maybe a couple thousand more in the following week. I don't think it ever appeared on the Media Create chart after that.

lowlylowlycook said:
That's sort of spooky.

[edit]

What was the rate the last time you did that calculation?
Search is failing me at the moment, but I can do it anew for some old months.

March 2009
Wii: 0.120 games per week
PS3: 0.114
X360: 0.106

June 2009
Wii: 0.104
PS3: 0.102
X360: 0.097

That the older ones seem higher probably has to do with having fewer non-holiday months in the mix. Though these older ones are still pretty similar to each other, I guess they've gotten even more closer than I realized.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Search is failing me at the moment, but I can do it anew for some old months.

March 2009
Wii: 0.120 games per week
PS3: 0.114
X360: 0.106

June 2009
Wii: 0.104
PS3: 0.102
X360: 0.097

That the older ones seem higher probably has to do with having fewer non-holiday months in the mix. Though these older ones are still pretty similar to each other, I guess they've gotten even more closer than I realized.

Yeah, interesting. Those latest numbers made it look like either you were measuring some physics constant or their was some kind of fraud involved.

I guess it's just a coincidence that all the differences (ownership demographics, time on the market, game prices, etc.) just happen to cancel out to basically 1 part in 100.

Do we have the data to do a similar calculation on a previous generation or maybe on Japan?

Just goes to show that whatever gaf thinks about each console, to most consumers they are all game machines and they buy games about once every other month for them, whether those are brown murder simulators or kiddy Nintendo titles.

markatisu

More on the Muramasa sales

http://gamerinvestments.com/video-g...rs-expects-strong-sales-through-the-holidays/

The sales numbers for September for Muramasa are in the ball park of 35K… however we all know NPD numbers can be roughly 15-20% off of actual sell through. The sales numbers are in line with expectations and we’re happy with how it’s performing to date. We are quite confidant that Muramasa will be a revered cult classic like its sister property Odin Sphere. We’re still seeing positive reviews pouring in, and expect sales to be strong through the holiday season. – Melody Frieda, Ignition Entertainment Marketing Director

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
unomas said:
And those average software sales include Wii play as well as Wii sports or no?
Arbitrarily removing ~12 million for Wii Play would give approximately:

Wii: 0.083 games per week

Arbitrarily adding in ~ 25 million Wii sports would give:

Wii: 0.107 games per week

Every studio that wants to succeed should look at 5th Cell. I don't get why it's so hard for developers to make games that are fit for the respective platforms they're working on.

Hurray for smart business practice and creativity.

BishopLamont said:
Every studio that wants to succeed should look at 5th Cell. I don't get why it's so hard for developers to make games that are fit for the respective platforms they're working on.

Hurray for smart business practice and creativity.

I agree they should look at 5th cell, a western dev which for some strange reason decided to support by far the most successful console in the history of gaming.

womfalcs3

Banned
QVC had a Wii bundle as their Today's Special Value yesterday. They sold something like 70,000 units of it at $300 each. That's just one day from one retailer.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
womfalcs3 said:
QVC had a Wii bundle as their Today's Special Value yesterday. They sold something like 70,000 units of it at $300 each. That's just one day from one retailer.

any source maybe ? not that i dont trust you, but...

lordmrw

Danthrax said:
29,000 in its opening week with maybe a couple thousand more in the following week. I don't think it ever appeared on the Media Create chart after that.

If I remember right, Marvelous had updated sales info that placed the sales for it at 44000 or so. They expected sales of 55000 in japan just for reference.

womfalcs3

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
any source maybe ? not that i dont trust you, but...

No documentation. They have a counter that comes up at the bottom of the screen to show how much they've sold. It was at 65,000 units sold with 4 hours left on the deal. The host said that they only had a few thousand more left in the current advanced order stage.

I think they had multiple advanced order stages since they sold out of their immediate shipment early on.

gerg

womfalcs3 said:
No documentation. They have a counter that comes up at the bottom of the screen to show how much they've sold. It was at 65,000 units sold with 4 hours left on the deal. The host said that they only had a few thousand more left in the current advanced order stage.

I think they had multiple advanced order stages since they sold out of their immediate shipment early on.

So I presume we should expect October to be massive for the Wii?

What was the bundle, by the way?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
# Nintendo Wii gaming console
# Wii Sports game
# 101 in 1 Games Party Megamix
# Component cable for connection to HDTV
# AV cable
# Wii controller
# Nunchuk
# Remote
# Racing wheel
# Game blaster
# Wii baseball bat
# Wii tennis racket
# Wii golf club
# AC adapter
# Wrist strap
# Wireless infrared sensor
# Messenger bag
# Stand
#2 AA batteries for remote
Good God. 70k people paid $300 for this?

lordmrw said:
If I remember right, Marvelous had updated sales info that placed the sales for it at 44000 or so. They expected sales of 55000 in japan just for reference.

I would not be surprised if by now it's already over the forecast of around 55,000 or whatever in Japan, considering that 45,000 number was from June. Surely it's sold 10,000 in four months time.

Here's that post with numbers from June (posted in July):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16872670&postcount=11

Anyone know the corrent NPD LTD for Little King's Story, Rune Factory Frontier, and even Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga? XSEED claims they're continuing to have steady sales, even VKES.

Hopefully MMV will give us a new sales update soon enough.

Also, I have to say that handing ARF to Ignition may have been a wise move, because Muramasa obviously outsold LKS and RFF's months worth of sales after merely three weeks? Nintendo even held a launch event in the Nintendo World Store, Ignition must've organized that.

AniHawk

womfalcs3 said:

I remember when the Wii used to sell 700k in a month. 70k is just sad. How the mighty have fallen.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AniHawk said:
I remember when the Wii used to sell 700k in a month. 70k is just sad. How the mighty have fallen.
I blame greedy Nintendo for removing AV cable, AC adapter, wrist strap, infrared sensor, stand and AA batteries from the box.
Stores had to bundle that shit!

DNF

GrotesqueBeauty said:
But it came with an AV cable, AC adapter, wrist strap, infrared sensor, stand and 2 AA batteries for the remote! That's what I call a bargain!

The Wii is such a joke. Even the batteries are only Double-A.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
DNF said:
The Wii is such a joke. Even the batteries are only Double-A.
Third parties should have totally stepped up and made some AAA ones, but no... they thought AAA batteries wouldn't be fitting and were unwilling to take the risk :/

gerg

gregor7777 said:
Not sure I'd put too much weight in that 70,000 number. It's QVC after all.

I was wondering whether or not NPD counts sales through QVC at all, actually. Either way, if the Wii can get within 100,000 of last year's October sales, it wouldn't surprise me for it to then surpass last year's overall holiday sales.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
charlequin said:
I was about to harangue you for a moment there until I realized that they probably don't mean an extra Wiimote and nunchuk. :lol
Of course it's not extra stuff, unless they also added extra power cords, sensor bars, etc. :lol

LiquidJin

Banned
Stink said:
I think their mistake wasn't necessarily the price:

It was the timing of the PSP - they created a whole new platform, which spread their seasoned devs too thin.

They tried to shore up the PS3 exclusives with new teams creating Heavenly Sword and Lair, but these titles were disasters when they needed something really amazing to justify the price of the SKU. Polyphony Digital, Sony Bend, Zipper, Studio Liverpool and Guerrilla should not all have been spending time on PSP games.

I agree with this somewhat. The Blu-ray drive wasn't a mistake if anything it will be the secret weapon.

The biggest mistake in my mind, which is along the lines of what Stink said, was SONY letting Microsoft pressure themselves into a 2006 release with no true 3rd party support. They were being arrogant but truthful when they said next-gen doesn't start until SONY says so, too bad they didn't believe in themselves.

No way, developers could justify their expensive next-gen games with no sign of a PS3 port to take on some of the risk. As it was a lot of high profile multi-sku games got delayed anyway. They should've given developers more time with the machine and launched worldwide in holiday 07. It's not like much would've changed as far as Microsoft getting first dibs on money hatted exclusives, but it would've improved quality on all their new franchises and ports, as well as stuck Microsoft 2 years of sad console sales.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
LBP doesn't need numbers. It needs hearts.
Serious answer: I'm curious as well. I doubt it sold much, though.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Jocchan said:
Of course it's not extra stuff, unless they also added extra power cords, sensor bars, etc. :lol

well it is a wireless sensor bar...

Top Bottom