• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shem935

Banned
Oh pachter you so silly. Software question: Could the decrease yoy be related to a rise in digital sales? Or are sales generally bad?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yup, this is good for Sony considering they won't have a heavy hitter exclusive until fall next year, probably.

I believe you're underestimating Bloodborne, just a tad. In fact, the combo of The Order and it will be a big push in Feb (not to mention, the multiplats that will also help, like The Witcher 3).

Good point. Aqua, you have how many free copies of Destiny were given out with xone bundles?

Doubtful, they could pick any game, so they could pick a whole litany of them. I wonder if these copies were counted in the XBox One sales? It's technically not a bundle, after all...

Either way, if that caused the spike, it was a -very- smart play on Microsoft's part. They need the system in homes.

Gap is almost 960k

Also I'm the only one who thinks X1 number is low given the crazy MS deals ?!

Buy X1 choose ANY game for free!

The mainstream public probably didn't know about that deal for the most part. My semi-pro CoD gaming roommate is the typical Xbox bro gamer and he had no idea that that deal existed. At the same time, he thought that Destiny was a PS4 exclusive.

By semi-pro, I mean that he has a gaming headset and a modded 360 controller and plays on the pro level area of BLOPSII and generally does well.

Think we would need stats of EA Access game sales to make statements like this as fact. But either way, EA games are still going to continue on doing well on the PS4. The userbase is too big and many people don't own two same gen consoles.

Unless EA Access is really making an impact through Digital Sales. I guess we will know more about it when EA has an earnings call.

True. It would be very interesting to see that, especially how much of an improvement it had on their sales.

Tommy DJ

284k is a good, solid number.

Why didn't MS allude to it in their PR statement? I mean yes, its peanuts compared to the PS4, but it at least shows that their promotions and deals are WORKING!

Probably because the promotions and deals are actually pretty hefty and it's a clear sign that the overall product is still seen as too expensive.

Remember that it hasn't even been a year and it's only managing to sell half the PS4, which hasn't moved in price and the bundles basically make you pay for the game. To get little over half the sales of its competitor, it needs price cuts, free first and third party games, and killing an integral part of the system.

In such a situation, it's better you say nothing because they're basically subsidized sales.

malfcn

I believe OP is only updated with official numbers and PR. As nowadays neither MS or Sony gives official numbers, they ain't included in the OP.

So where are these numbers coming from?

Does NDP just nod to Sony or MS and say, "Yah you sold the most."

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The Destiny boost is real. For both.
It's probably one of the least critically acclaimed games to provide a real boost released on multiple consoles. I haven't paid close attention to software sales the past year however.

Even GTA IV, which was not released in November or December, didn't show a significant sales increase. Of course, it was also released outside a first year console cycle. Only other games I can recall with such a bump outside the cycle is MGS4, which pushed the PS3 up to 405k in June 2008 (it didn't even sell that much that year in November) and Halo 3, almost doubling 360 sales in one month (276k->527k).

EDIT: Arguably also GTAV for PS3 last September, which boosted it from months of sales between 71-108k to 215k.

teiresias

Most Souls players are going to get it and some that are new to the series. It won't be Destiny huge but very respectable. As for "Uncharted will do alright" yeah, it will do slightly better than alright.

Bloodborne looks much more interesting to me than any of the Souls games ever have, mainly because of the art direction being a bit more "Castlevania" and less Medieval - if that makes sense. Of course, I'm likely to suck at the game as much as I did Demon Souls.

Bloodborne is going to be huge.

BB feels like one of those games that the hardcore will adore and the normal people won't care much about, barring a huge marketing push from Sony. I feel like SCEA will bet more marketing money on The Order and that will translate into more sales while BB will get more love from critics and the internet. I'd love to be wrong on that, though.

I'm as excited for Bloodborne as the next guy, but it's a game that won't be for everyone. The Souls series and, in general, From's games are for a niche audience.

Bloodborne can't be comparable to the likes of Uncharted, Halo, Smash or Zelda.

The PlayStation has always relied on a dozen or so IP rather than 2-4 major IP's to drive hardware sales. The benefit to this strategy is that it broadens the appeal of the platform.

I would say everything behind the scenes from 2011 to 2013 leading to the reveal and the E3 2013 put Microsoft in the hole they're in.

Overall for this NPD, decent numbers for Xbox One but obviously look terrible next to the PS4. As we roll into the holidays, it'll be interesting to see how Microsoft attempts to spur more sales against a competitor who completely dominates the word of mouth aspect of this industry.

Honestly it seems to me MS always does better when they're down; they make better games. I remember before the 360 came out they were being dogged with the whole 'no blu-ray player' issue and the CPU was always being compared to the Cell (whose potential was not known back then). That Microsoft produced Gears of War, transformed Forza into the de-facto racing sim series that it is, and delivered some really good Halo sequels as well. But the good thing about 360 back then was they didn't really mess up in the PR department, it was mostly fanboy wars that drove the argument towards the lack of blu-ray / cell issue.

When the 360 was on top, they were so focused on Kinect and I think they lost their way. Not much more creative properties by that point in the life of the 360.

So now, they're at the bottom again, but at least not as bad as Wii U....but still, not where they'd like to be. It's just made worse with that botched E3 2013 where they lost hardcore Xbox fans (even me---ended up getting a PS4 first). But lately they're trying their best and they've won me back. The hard part is, E3 2013 still lingers in the air, it isn't quite out of people's minds and there's still some confusion on what you need to enjoy Xbox games (things like DRM, required online --- which they already overturned but are still misleading most people now).

It's a tough fight for them. I do get to enjoy their well-designed games and I'm glad for that. But they've been there before and maybe they just work best when they're fighting their way back to the top. It makes them hungry...."eye of the tiger", so to speak. So they're still the most "fun" company to watch this generation, we get to see them try to claw their way back up there, and like the 360's early life I think this is where we will see the most innovation, not Sony. Just my opinion. Will probably get flamed. But yeah, that's my opinion.

I'm as excited for Bloodborne as the next guy, but it's a game that won't be for everyone. The Souls series and, in general, From's games are for a niche audience.

Bloodborne can't be comparable to the likes of Uncharted, Halo, Smash or Zelda.

Yeah, it will be a decent success, but I'm not expecting anything too crazy. Both it and The Order come out the same month right? If so, those two combined will give a decent boost.

le.phat

Yep which is what I was trying to communicate in the now infamous Pachter thread. Solid Xbox One performance and its not doomed, at least not in the US.

It just can't match PS4s unbelievable performance. But overall its doing decently and if they can continue to improve could have a plenty healthy lifespan.
If they can continue to give away free games and knock out the bottom of their salesprice you mean?

Compared to last gen (first September):

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

So PS4 did about expected and Xbox One did way better than 2nd place last gen (if we just look at the HD consoles). Pretty good for Sony and fantastic job for MS, really turning things around. Lots of momentum leading to Halo and Call of Duty in November.

Also the One almost doubles last month's sales, from 160k -> ~285k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom