• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm as excited for Bloodborne as the next guy, but it's a game that won't be for everyone. The Souls series and, in general, From's games are for a niche audience.

Bloodborne can't be comparable to the likes of Uncharted, Halo, Smash or Zelda.
It will - however - be during a slow time at the beginning of the year, it has a great deal of hype and clout among the "hardcore", it's on the currently leading console, and the Souls series (iirc) has increased in sales from one game to the next.

Bloodborne could be the breakout title. Compare GTA2 sales to GTA3, for instance. Many franchises don't have their breakout hit until the franchise is a few games in.

"I can't help myself?" Give me a break, I turned my ways around. If I haven't, I would've stayed banned. This is a gaming forum. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks about me.

And let me just give you a fair warning: Be careful who you judge. Because one day, somebody's going to look back at what you wrote, & it's going to come back on you.

No warning required thank you, I fully expect if I have behaved like you have for it to be pulled up on. see you around

Bsigg12

So where are these numbers coming from?

Does NDP just nod to Sony or MS and say, "Yah you sold the most."

No, Sony and Microsoft pay NPD for the sales tracking and they get a pretty significant breakdown. What we're seeing from various posters are tidbits they have access to of these reports. The only free thing NPD reports anymore is game sales rankings.

alterno69

Banned
Yep which is what I was trying to communicate in the now infamous Pachter thread. Solid Xbox One performance and its not doomed, at least not in the US.

It just can't match PS4s unbelievable performance. But overall its doing decently and if they can continue to improve could have a plenty healthy lifespan.
They got those numbers giving TWO games for free, and still managed to lose almost 2:1 versus a more expensive console with no exclusives that month.

Many thanks to the always diligent Aquamarine. And with that the final nail in the coffin of my sales prediction has landed. Too optimistic for my own good...

I am of the same fate for my predictions unfortunately although opposite side of the coin, not optimistic enough. Top 2 consoles did work in September truly

Wynnebeck

Banned
Compared to last gen (first September):

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

So PS4 did about expected and Xbox One did way better than 2nd place last gen (if we just look at the HD consoles). Pretty good for Sony and fantastic job for MS, really turning things around. Lots of momentum leading to Halo and Call of Duty in November.

Also the One almost doubles last month's sales, from 160k -> ~285k

lol That's one way to spin it I guess.

In any other year, in any other generation, the XB1 numbers would be considered pretty damn good. For a September, anyway. As well as their LTD. The PS4 numbers are just friggin through the roof. Its crazytown.

Really?

I was thinking they are pretty bad for a five week month with a major title release, major marketing campaign and free game promotion. In its single strongest territory.

The PS4 numbers are finally what you would expect to be seeing in a market elading console, not "through the roof".

Lowered expectations: the generation, I guess.

Guymelef

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

So PS4 did about expected and Xbox One did way better than 2nd place last gen (if we just look at the HD consoles). Pretty good for Sony and fantastic job for MS, really turning things around. Lots of momentum leading to Halo and Call of Duty in November.

We can use Wonderswan first September and say that 119k PS3 was a excellent result.

kyser73

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

You should work for MS PR team. That's an awesome post.

If they can continue to give away free games and knock out the bottom of their salesprice you mean?

Huh idk don't get caught up in this stuff personally. MS pocketbooks arent my job. Selling consoles is though and from that point of view yep its a solid performance. I'm not gonna complain about a console selling nearly 300k in September. Good for business :)

But yes in the long run they can't do promotion like this forever.

Not 550K. It's 538K

Me.

A lot of the PS4s sold this month was from the Destiny bundle.

Definitely the best selling PS4 SKU.

;-)
That puts the PS4 Destiny bundle at minimum at 269k. Since she said it was definitely the best PS4 SKU I bet it sold ~300k. Pretty damn impressive either way.

edit: I assume there was only the regular PS4 SKU and the Destiny one... if there was more than that then ignore my post.

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

But this was probably due to the price of the PS3 being much higher. Xbox not doing very well now is probably due to bad PR / Marketing.

The PS4 numbers are finally what you would expect to be seeing in a market elading console, not "through the roof".

The Wii exceeded this September number once in its lifecycle and that was an unprecedented sales phenomenon, the PS2 never. I'm not sure how that's a low bar.

This is a really good hardware month, I don't really know why one would want to spin it as bad or mediocre.

teiresias

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

If you need to spin the Xbone's performance by comparing it to the anemic performance of launch-era PS3 then you're in pretty much deep shit when you don't have the rest of the world backing up your userbase the way Sony did.

cackhyena

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

lol

No Insomniac game is going to move consoles enough to make it significant. They just aren't that kind of studio.

I'm just saying I think Microsoft has a better chance of winning November than they did of winning March.

So, what's the LTD for both consoles in US?

According to the numbers I have, 44883493.

But why arent we supposed to post a summary?

It's what the people with the information requested.

Cidd

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

This is some pro level spinning here. lol

le.phat

Half a mill this month, next month holiday ramp-up/black friday, november GTA 5 bundle, december full swing holiday month...

Prediction on PS4 LTD at the end of 2014?

i'd say 15 mill globally. I have no idea what their current sell-through in the US is atm.

Ricky_R

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

I, at least, appreciate you putting some thought into it.

Verendus

Banned
Really?

I was thinking they are pretty bad for a five week month with a major title release, major marketing campaign and free game promotion. In its single strongest territory.

I am also quite disappointed in the PS4. It's like it almost got there, but couldn't make a definitive statement either way. Like a woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could, but it wasn't enough.

EGOMON

Do people realize that Sony-Destiny wasn't for US only? people downplaying the deal because of NPD standalone version (even though we know overall Destiny PS4 > XBO) and forgetting there is a whole lot other world outside NA, i bet RoW Destiny physical and digital numbers are significantly skewed toward PS4.

I know this is NPD but people who were saying "So much for Destiny marketing deal!" means the deal everywhere.

Xbox360 - 527k
PS3 - 119k

That you Aaron ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom