• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GTX 1060 Reviews

I've been running my EVGA 1060 SC all day, and it has been great. I've been monitoring it with MSI Afterburner, and it seems to be topping out at 2012Mhz and maintains 2000Mhz the vast majority of the time. I've seen it throttle down to about 1987Mhz when it starts to get warm, but after the fan kicks up a bit more it jumps right back to a steady 2000Mhz. I find this interesting, as the advertised boost clock is 1835Mhz. Is it normal for a card to be clocked that much higher than its advertised clock, or could my MSI Afterburner incorrectly reporting?

GPU Boost 3.0, my friend.

dr_rus

I know very little about this. Is it automatically clocking based on the silicon? I haven't touched anything OC wise.

It's boosting automatically based on the silicon, temperature and load. It's normal and isn't something happening solely on Boost 3.0 cards as the same was happening even on Kepler IIRC.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Got mine installed yesterday, super happy.

Haven't done much monitoring yet, not been using afterburner or anything this time. Just running GPU-Z to watch the temps, looking ~70C on load. Again, not really paying that much attention.

Witcher 3 on Ultra has been a pretty solid 60fps though. Amazed, GTA V drops down to the 30s on big online scenarios, sticks in the mid 40s on single player.

-MB-

Did a fulll Windows 10 reset and reinstalled everything clean, but it didn't fix the issue.
Even more strangely, I got the constant spike downwards again during the Heaven bench, with the last portion it even sitting steadily at HALF core clock (1050mhz).
Then I changed a few options in nvidia settings again like disabling multi monitor performance mode and setting to Optimal performance. and the spikes are gone.
BUT the heavenly score stays exactly the same( shy of 1500). Wouldnt such low core clocks affect the score very negatively?

Underclocking it to 1400mhz with a 100mhz memdownclock = 1495 Heaven Extreme score, at 2100mhz with a 100mhz memclock increase = 1506, that just cannot be right in any circumstance.

Jonbo298

Finally got the card this morning. Ran DDU from Guru3D and install went flawlessly. Having a weird issue with Chrome where part of the screen is tearing when I scroll. Feels good when GeForce Experience tells me I have 49 games not optimized now. I'll be seeing how far I can push the card this evening after the busy day ahead.

My EVGA SC 1060 arrived! Will install later, have to run errands now.

What's a good free program to run benchmarks? I know about Unigine Heaven, anything else?

And any good guides on overclocking? I found this and it seems fairly comprehensive: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2749337/safe-gpu-overclocking-guide-2016.html

I've never done this before, and want to not fuck anything up.

Ungine Heaven and 3DMark are good for benchmarking

Good luck with your OC

-MB-

Seems that, in gpu-z, I am getting vrel messages in the perfcap reasons section of the sensors tab. Indicating It has voltage reliaility issues. Does that mean my Mobo is just shit or the gpu a dud?
Get this even at stock, less so than with an OC but still.

Jonbo298

Initial stress testing/benchmarks with OC on my Gigabyte 1060 G1 "Gaming" has been pretty good, in line or slightly better than reviewers with the same card and OC. I can't complain about these numbers for 1080p. CPU holds me back a little but I'm not upgrading it until I see how AMD's Zen CPU's are compared to Intel as my next big purchase in 6-12 months (hopefully).

mFsLOct.png

GJ6hrB5.png

Looking at GPU-Z, the Core clock boosted to 2189Mhz and Memory clock to 2389Mhz (9556Mhz effective).

DSix

Banned
I'm seeing the EVGA single fan (non-oc) at 280€, should I wait it out for better prices or go for it? I'm also doubtful about the efficiency/noise of this model.

I don't really know how the prices of new NVidia GPUs usually trend in Europe. Will it go down once the supply gets more plentiful?

ISee

Initial stress testing/benchmarks with OC on my Gigabyte 1060 G1 "Gaming" has been pretty good, in line or slightly better than reviewers with the same card and OC. I can't complain about these numbers for 1080p. CPU holds me back a little but I'm not upgrading it until I see how AMD's Zen CPU's are compared to Intel as my next big purchase in 6-12 months (hopefully).

mFsLOct.png

GJ6hrB5.png

Looking at GPU-Z, the Core clock boosted to 2189Mhz and Memory clock to 2389Mhz (9556Mhz effective).

That's actually better then I expected and very close to my 980 G1 score.
What's your TimeSpy, FireStrike GPU score?

Black_Red

As someone who isn't interested in overclocking, and I'm more worried about noise and temperatures. What is the best 1060 model? (Or at least a couple of the best ones, I dont think we'll have all of them here).

As someone who isn't interested in overclocking, and I'm more worried about noise and temperatures. What is the best 1060 model? (Or at least a couple of the best ones, I dont think we'll have all of them here).
I have the Gainward and it is whisper quiet and temps have rarely gone above 70C. I think it hit 74C when doing a benchmark.

ISee

The best models for OC = The best models for low temperatures and noise.

MSI gtx 1060 6G
Asus gtx 1060 Strix
Gigabyte 1060 G1

That said, don't worry about that too much. A friend of mine just bought the Gainward gtx 1060 (dual fan, no oc, cheap design). Even cheaper non-oc costum designs seem to be cool and silent.

FoxSpirit

I have the Gainward and it is whisper quiet and temps have rarely gone above 70C. I think it hit 74C when doing a benchmark.
Same card and yeah, very quiet. I think 74C is the target temp. And that with ~26°C(78°F) ambient.

Recommended for great price/performance.

Black_Red

The best models for OC = The best models for low temperatures and noise.

MSI gtx 1060 6G
Asus gtx 1060 Strix
Gigabyte 1060 G1

That said, don't worry about that too much. A friend of mine just bought the Gainward gtx 1060 (dual fan, no oc, cheap design). Even cheaper non-oc costum designs seem to be cool and silent.

Thanks, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte 1060 are all here. But I haven't ever heard of Gainward in Chile. I guess I'll just compare reviews between those 3 if noise and temps are similar. (I was worried since my room is really hot in summer)

jonno394

Going to order my 1060 today (thank you backdated pay rise!). Torn between:

Zotac Amp 1060 or Palit Super Jetstream both for £270. The latter has a backplate and somewhat higher clocks but this review makes it seem like it doesn't amount to much over the standard 1060. Any one want to push me either way?

Same card and yeah, very quiet. I think 74C is the target temp. And that with ~26°C(78°F) ambient.

Recommended for great price/performance.

Thanks, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte 1060 are all here. But I haven't ever heard of Gainward in Chile. I guess I'll just compare reviews between those 3 if noise and temps are similar. (I was worried since my room is really hot in summer)
I had never heard of Gainward either, same company as Palit and PNY. They're apparently knocking it out of the park with the 10 series and from a price/performance POV I don't have a bad word to say. I love the plain black shroud too.

Going to order my 1060 today (thank you backdated pay rise!). Torn between:

Zotac Amp 1060 or Palit Super Jetstream both for £270. The latter has a backplate and somewhat higher clocks but this review makes it seem like it doesn't amount to much over the standard 1060. Any one want to push me either way?

Is Palit a UK specific GPU retailer? I can't find any stock of its 1060 cards on Newegg.

(This was originally posted in another thread, but I thought I'd post it here and in the RX 480 review thread to hopefully reach more people who might be able to help me. I hope you don't mind.)

I'm currently trying to decide on a custom 8GB RX 480 (like the Sapphire Nitro which seems to be the best of that category) or a custom Nvidia GTX 1060 (one with good silent cooling, like can anyone vouch for say MSI's Armor or Gaming series of custom cards?).

There are a number of factors that I've spent hours and hours deliberating over now. It's honestly been taking so much of my thoughts and distracting me so much that I worry it is going to negatively affect my grades in the summer Linear Algebra course I'm taking. :p

1. Is 6GB and a reduced memory bandwith on the 1060 going to bottleneck that card compared to the 480's 8GB and higher bandwith? Does anyone think that 2GB and a little less speed will become a concern in the next 3, 4 or 5 years with texture size increases and the growing rise of 1440p and 4k?

2. It appears that the majority of DX12 and Vulkan supporting games perform better on the RX 480 in those modes than on the 1060, apparently because the 480 has better/more asynchronous processors and perhaps better drivers for those two APIs? Does it seem like the 1060 can "catch up" with the 480 with better software support, or will the 480 keep it's lead in these two APIs due to unchangeable hardware advantages?

3. I have heard that the Kepler series has performed worse over time (there was a thread on it that I think used DOOM as an example?) and that this may be due to Nvidia being more focused on supporting only the latest and greatest GPUs, while failing to give as much software attention to slightly older cards as soon as they are maybe 2 years old and out of the public eye. Is this true? Is the 1060 likely to start performing worse than it "should" because of a decreased software support over time?

4. The AMD RX 470 and 460 are coming up in August. Is it likely that the 470 will reach an even lower average dollar-to-frame level than the 1060 and 480? I wasn't planning to upgrade until I decided Deus Ex Mankind Divided deserves to be played on PC, so I am torn between paying just enough to run that well next month, and future-proofing my computer for a few more years before probably building an entirely new one. The 470 is therefore something I'm keeping my eyes on, but it seems like it might be just a bit too weak, 10% would be an acceptable power difference from the 480 IMO.

5. I've heard that PCI-E 3.0 cards runs almost exactly the same on PCI-E 2.0. I have an Asus motherboard with support for Sandy and Ivy Bridge (I have an Intel i5 2500k, so Sandy), and it apparently supports PCI 3.0 if I had an Ivy processor. I'd rather not upgrade since that would be a large expenditure and the 2500k still seems to be an excellent CPU. Will it be fine to use either of these new cards with a CPU that only supports PCI 2.0?

6. Am I right to assume AMD FreeSync is only a tiny bit worse than G-Sync and the price differential between the two options is definitely worth opting for FreeSync because it is nearly as good but much cheaper? Isn't FreeSync an open standard, that Nvidia just refuses to even support their own cards to use, simply because they want to sell their own monitors equipped with the G-Sync module and locking their cards into that achieves that goal? Are TVs (as opposed to computer monitors) going to support either standard anytime soon? I game using a wireless mouse and keyboard with my computer plugged into the family TV, so I thought I'd ask if there is any indication of TV manufacturers adopting this standard. If not, what is the biggest PC monitor that would for a reasonable price?

7. Lastly, and this is kind of a smaller question, is a graphics card backplate necessary? It seems like some say it is important to have in order to protect the PCB from dust and potential scrapes and cuffs, and while that may be true, wouldn't dusting the top of the exposed PCB also be fine? Would the PCB be so vulnerable that dusting with a feather duster or blowing air into the computer would carry the risk of damaging the card? Does dust collecting onto an exposed PCB damage a card over time? Some also say it is important to prevent graphics card "sag", while others would say that isn't really something to be concerned about or it doesn't happen anyways.

Sorry for the huge load of questions, I just have been thinking about these concerns on my own for hours now and I thought GAF could help me out! One other concern for me in regards to upgrading my graphics card is that Newegg has a coupon going on for $25 off from a $200+ purchase and that expires on (or just before?) August 1st, so I'm eager to jump onto one of the two approaching trains.

Edit:

One last question, the power cords/ports for GPUs haven't changed or anything since 2011, right? I built my computer back then but don't have the money to make any upgrades on really anything but the GPU, so I'm just checking that as long as I have the GPU power cords necessary for an AMD 6950 (what I got back then), there will be no problem using those on whatever GPU I upgrade to.

Thank you!

Palit: they are a graphic card manufacturer but also sell their own brand at select retail markets, it is not uncommon to not find them.

Other questions:

1. For what 1060 is meant to be (1080p gaming), it will not matter as much as people think.

2. The 480 will likely be ahead in heavy DX12 and Vulkan games which are not common at this point, and during the lifespan of both cards, DX11 games will be the mainstream, in which 1060 has a distinctive advantage. Choose between them according to your gaming needs and how frequent you are looking to upgrade. In terms of power they are basically on the same level.

3. Kepler's architecture suffers from over-simplifying due to power efficiency concerns, it is simply not good enough to support today's computing needs (too many TMUs not enough ROPs etc). It is not about driver/software support, it is about Nvidia's stupid focus at that time.

4. The 470 seems to be about 10% slower than the 480, which is on par or slower than a 970. It is borderline capable of 1080p gaming but nothing else. Don't bother with it if you can afford a 480 imo.

5. Unless it is something real powerful like 1070 and above, PCI-E 2.0 is enough.

6. Freesync is way more limited than GSync in terms of features and support, for example it only works in fullscreen at this point. But if you can overlook some of those disadvantages, it is still pretty sweet.

7. Not entirely necessary but definitely helpful to have.

For the power cords, check whether your PSU has a 8pin PCI-E connector, if it has that, you are golden. If not, you can easily use a dual 6pin to 8pin converter/dual molex (D-shape 4pin) converter.

jonno394

Hmm, it doesn't seem like the custom variants they sell are the same name at least.. (For context, jonno394 originally said PNY may be the same company as Palit)

Thanks for responding so quickly though. Any opinions on the huge amount of other questions I have? 🙌

I'm honestly in the same boat as you with regards to 480 and 1060 but decided to go for the 1060 due to it's availability and somewhat superior performance. I have a 280x so I wouldn't look at a 460/470 as they'd likely be minimal upgrades for me at best

I'll leave the rest for people more knowledgeable than I.

Knch

2. It appears that the majority of DX12 and Vulkan supporting games perform better on the RX 480 in those modes than on the 1060, apparently because the 480 has better/more asynchronous processors and perhaps better drivers for those two APIs? Does it seem like the 1060 can "catch up" with the 480 with better software support, or will the 480 keep it's lead in these two APIs due to unchangeable hardware advantages?

480 has a leg up on async compute because it has more cores. AMD has a lead in these APIs because they are the reason they even exist (Mantle.) But Nvidia should close this gap at some point (while adding more proprietary stuff that won't benefit anyone - yeay, automagic bullshots!)

4. The AMD RX 470 and 460 are coming up in August. Is it likely that the 470 will reach an even lower average dollar-to-frame level than the 1060 and 480? I wasn't planning to upgrade until I decided Deus Ex Mankind Divided deserves to be played on PC, so I am torn between paying just enough to run that well next month, and future-proofing my computer for a few more years before probably building an entirely new one. The 470 is therefore something I'm keeping my eyes on, but it seems like it might be just a bit too weak, 10% would be an acceptable power difference from the 480 IMO.

I'm waiting for the 470 myself, it's clocked quite a bit slower (but will probably overclock just fine.) I'd wait for reviews. (But this will probably be the performance/dollar card.)

5. I've heard that PCI-E 3.0 cards runs almost exactly the same on PCI-E 2.0. I have an Asus motherboard with support for Sandy and Ivy Bridge (I have an Intel i5 2500k, so Sandy), and it apparently supports PCI 3.0 if I had an Ivy processor. I'd rather not upgrade since that would be a large expenditure and the 2500k still seems to be an excellent CPU. Will it be fine to use either of these new cards with a CPU that only supports PCI 2.0?

Yes.

6. Am I right to assume AMD FreeSync is only a tiny bit worse than G-Sync and the price differential between the two options is definitely worth opting for FreeSync because it is nearly as good but much cheaper? Isn't FreeSync an open standard, that Nvidia just refuses to even support their own cards to use, simply because they want to sell their own monitors equipped with the G-Sync module and locking their cards into that achieves that goal? Are TVs (as opposed to computer monitors) going to support either standard anytime soon? I game using a wireless mouse and keyboard with my computer plugged into the family TV, so I thought I'd ask if there is any indication of TV manufacturers adopting this standard. If not, what is the biggest PC monitor that would for a reasonable price?

Gsync does a little more than freesync, which would just alleviate tearing, but it's been a while since I've bothered to read up on it's benefits. Read up on ULMB.

7. Lastly, and this is kind of a smaller question, is a graphics card backplate necessary? It seems like some say it is important to have in order to protect the PCB from dust and potential scrapes and cuffs, and while that may be true, wouldn't dusting the top of the exposed PCB also be fine? Would the PCB be so vulnerable that dusting with a feather duster or blowing air into the computer would carry the risk of damaging the card? Does dust collecting onto an exposed PCB damage a card over time? Some also say it is important to prevent graphics card "sag", while others would say that isn't really something to be concerned about or it doesn't happen anyways.

It does not prevent "sag," only warping. Dust doesn't harm a card (not on the back of it anyway.) Scrapes and scuffs?! What are these people doing to these cards between getting it out of the packaging and slotting it in? (If you think it's pretty, go for it, if not, don't worry.)

One last question, the power cords/ports for GPUs haven't changed or anything since 2011, right? I built my computer back then but don't have the money to make any upgrades on really anything but the GPU, so I'm just checking that as long as I have the GPU power cords necessary for an AMD 6950 (what I got back then), there will be no problem using those on whatever GPU I upgrade to.

Nowp, still the same standard, you'll be fine.

-MB-

Checked out your scores, your gfx card spec shows you didnt overclock the memory on the card. Theres some performance to be gained there!

For a reference, see the Graphics Card details in a comparison between our tests.
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/9537704/fs/9536144

Doesn't get close to it even when I up ram to what u have. ( can't run core clock at what u have without driver crashes.)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13674345?

EDIT: Stupid me, RAM frequency wasn't even near yours heh. That is quite an increase from what I had, a very mild memory OC

2nd edit: At yor speeds I get artifacts and green light flashes, so not stable then.

Type_Raver

Doesn't get close to it even when I up ram to what u have. ( can't run core clock at what u have without driver crashes.)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13674345?

EDIT: Stupid me, RAM frequency wasn't even near yours heh. That is quite an increase from what I had, a very mild memory OC

2nd edit: At yor speeds I get artifacts and green light flashes, so not stable then.

Thats cool, just wanted to bring it to your attention, since you had more overclocking potential left :)

It's always luck of the draw when it comes to overclocking potential.

-MB-

Thats cool, just wanted to bring it to your attention, since you had more overclocking potential left :)

It's always luck of the draw when it comes to overclocking potential.

I do have voltage +20%, would that cause the troubles at higher memclock speeds?

Type_Raver

I do have voltage +20%, would that cause the troubles at higher memclock speeds?

Voltage would increase temos but wont affect memory.

To isolate the issue, leave the memory overclocked and reset the core to default (and vice versa) to see what is causing it.

Also restore all to defaults and leave the overclocking software open and see if it is causing anything.

-MB-

Voltage would increase temos but wont affect memory.

To isolate the issue, leave the memory overclocked and reset the core to default (and vice versa) to see what is causing it.

Also restore all to defaults and leave the overclocking software open and see if it is causing anything.

With everything else default, ram clocked that high gives me those occasional green flash circles throughout the benchmark. I assume I basically limited at what i can run the ram at.

Type_Raver

With everything else default, ram clocked that high gives me those occasional green flash circles throughout the benchmark. I assume I basically limited at what i can run the ram at.

Drop the memory speed by 50 points at a time until it disappears. Eg, if your at +750, drop it to +700 then test.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit, typo.

jonno394

I couldn't decide between the Zotac Amp and Palit Super Jet Stream, so just went with what I know and played it safe with the Gigabyte 1060 G1 Gaming edition.

I've been using a Gigabyte 280x for the past 2.5 years and never had any problems, and I know their RMA/Customer services is apparently superb, so paid a bit more and went with them.

-MB-

Drop the memory speed by 50 points at a time until it disappears. Eg, if your at +750, drop it to +700 then test.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit, typo.

I did that and settled at 2268, anymore more and i get the sporadic green lense flare like artifacts. Also max 2100 core clock, because much higher = driver crashes.
At those speeds i get a graphics score of 6 898 and overall score of 6344 in fire strike extreme.

(Sorry again for the huge post.)

I'm honestly in the same boat as you with regards to 480 and 1060 but decided to go for the 1060 due to it's availability and somewhat superior performance. I have a 280x so I wouldn't look at a 460/470 as they'd likely be minimal upgrades for me at best

I'll leave the rest for people more knowledgeable than I.

Yeah, I'm really on the fence in a lot of ways, just trying to see all my options. I'm a little worried for 1060 in the future with less DX12 and Vulkan performance and less ram than 8GB version of RX 480. Thank you for the reply!

Before I get to followup questions to specific answers I got, I'd like to ask this:

Are AMD features proprietary like Nvidia ones are? As in, if a game uses TressFX or RealHair or whatever the feature is called (I think it is at least supported by AMD), will that feature work on an Nvidia card?

Palit: they are a graphic card manufacturer but also sell their own brand at select retail markets, it is not uncommon to not find them.

Other questions:

1. For what 1060 is meant to be (1080p gaming), it will not matter as much as people think.

2. The 480 will likely be ahead in heavy DX12 and Vulkan games which are not common at this point, and during the lifespan of both cards, DX11 games will be the mainstream, in which 1060 has a distinctive advantage. Choose between them according to your gaming needs and how frequent you are looking to upgrade. In terms of power they are basically on the same level.

3. Kepler's architecture suffers from over-simplifying due to power efficiency concerns, it is simply not good enough to support today's computing needs (too many TMUs not enough ROPs etc). It is not about driver/software support, it is about Nvidia's stupid focus at that time.

4. The 470 seems to be about 10% slower than the 480, which is on par or slower than a 970. It is borderline capable of 1080p gaming but nothing else. Don't bother with it if you can afford a 480 imo.

5. Unless it is something real powerful like 1070 and above, PCI-E 2.0 is enough.

6. Freesync is way more limited than GSync in terms of features and support, for example it only works in fullscreen at this point. But if you can overlook some of those disadvantages, it is still pretty sweet.

7. Not entirely necessary but definitely helpful to have.

For the power cords, check whether your PSU has a 8pin PCI-E connector, if it has that, you are golden. If not, you can easily use a dual 6pin to 8pin converter/dual molex (D-shape 4pin) converter.

Thanks a lot for the reply, it helps a lot! If you wouldn't mind answering these followup questions, I'd really appreciate it.

1. Would you say even 4GB would be enough for the next 3, 4 or 5 years? 5 years is how long it has been since I last upgraded, and I like to keep upgrades infrequent because I don't have a super steady income stream yet since I'm a college student, though I guess that'll change in 5 years, huh. The next GPU I get will also likely be the last for this machine, which is DDR3 and i5 2500k, which both seem to be holding their own for now, but by the time it'll be necessary to upgrade again, I bet it won't be feasible to just upgrade the GPU, and I plan to build an entirely new computer at that point.

2. Are DX12 and Vulkan likely to take over in API adoption in the next 3-5 years that I hope this next upgrade will last? It seems like buying for the future instead of the now is the better option, especially because I don't want to upgrade often.

3. So I guess that means Pascal is less likely to fall behind compared to Polaris? Or is the same thing likely to happen again with Pascal failing to have enough async compute power compared to Polaris? (Kind of the same question as 2)

4. I take it the consensus seems to be that the 470 won't be very OC capable and thus can't be expected to be brought nearly up to 480 performance? By "borderline capable" do you just mean that it is likely to have trouble mainting 60fps+ on the highest or near highest settings of upcoming games, or are you saying it would even have trouble on medium/high settings?

5. Cool, I'm glad PCI-E 2.0 won't be a problem. If I eventually go Crossfire, would an 8x PCI connection severely hinder CF performance? I think I have two x16 slots, but I'm not sure.

6. I'm not sure I will even be able to take advantage of either G-Sync or Freesync, since my desktop really just lives in the living room and that connects to an HDTV. It seems like TV manufacturers just don't care about either of those options, but since Freesync is a more open standard, I'm inclined to think it may have more of a chance of appearing in a 4K TV or something sometime in the next few years. So I'm inclined towards Freesync despite some disadvantages, along with the huge price overhead on the monitors that support it, if I were to change how I use my computer. Also I'd like to support the more open standard versus being locked into Nvidia cards.

7. Are back plates just helpful for making dust cleanup easier? What exactly are people talking about when they say "sag" or "warping"? What is the most important reason to have one?

I just checked and my MSI 6950 2GB is powered by two 6-pin power cords. I don't think I have any 8-pin cord on this PSU so I should probably buy one of those converters depending on the card I get. It seems like 8-pin power is a rarity at least on 480s? If they do have 8-pins, is it usually just one port? With 6-pins, is having two on one card the standard?

One last thing, are there any particular custom card (480 or 1060) brands that you would recommend?

Thanks for the help!

480 has a leg up on async compute because it has more cores. AMD has a lead in these APIs because they are the reason they even exist (Mantle.) But Nvidia should close this gap at some point (while adding more proprietary stuff that won't benefit anyone - yeay, automagic bullshots!)

I'm waiting for the 470 myself, it's clocked quite a bit slower (but will probably overclock just fine.) I'd wait for reviews. (But this will probably be the performance/dollar card.)

Yes.

Gsync does a little more than freesync, which would just alleviate tearing, but it's been a while since I've bothered to read up on it's benefits. Read up on ULMB.

It does not prevent "sag," only warping. Dust doesn't harm a card (not on the back of it anyway.) Scrapes and scuffs?! What are these people doing to these cards between getting it out of the packaging and slotting it in? (If you think it's pretty, go for it, if not, don't worry.)

Nowp, still the same standard, you'll be fine.

Thank you for the reply! These answers help me out a lot. I hope you don't mind if I ask dome followup questions.

So 1060 will never close to DX12 and Vulkan gap because it just lacks the hardware chops, is that right?

Would you say the 470 could feasibly clock to nearly (a couple %s difference) from 480, or is that reaching? Do you think the 470 will have less supply issues than the 480? I'm worried because I want to get everything installed before Deus Ex MD releases on August 23rd, and I only have a couple weeks to enjoy that game during my break before my fall term at college. I'm trying to get something going by August 20th at the latest and I'm worried the 470 will take too long to come out.

Good to know, thanks.

I will check out ULMB. (That's "ultra low motion blur" right?)

Is warping dangerous? What exactly is it? Could it kill or weaken a card after a few years?

I'm glad PC parts from 2011 seem to still be mostly compatible with ones from 2016. I doubt that'll be the case by 2021.

Lastly, are there any particular custom cards (480 or 1060) that you would recommend?

Bought a used EVGA 970 2 weeks ago from someone on here. Card died yesterday, now trying to contact EVGA for the warranty, but they say I need proof of purchase.

Gigabyte a good brand to go to?

Moonkeis

I couldn't decide between the Zotac Amp and Palit Super Jet Stream, so just went with what I know and played it safe with the Gigabyte 1060 G1 Gaming edition.

I've been using a Gigabyte 280x for the past 2.5 years and never had any problems, and I know their RMA/Customer services is apparently superb, so paid a bit more and went with them.

Good to know their CS is good, I'm receiving mine on Monday.

FoxSpirit

Funnily enough, using ULMB will prevent you from using GSync. But if you can have the 120fps you need, it's great. FPS are almost clear on my MVA display. A good TN will probably be razor sharp in motion.

Top Bottom