• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GTX 1060 Reviews

terrible

Banned
ah thanks you mean the small form ones come in SC and OC right? so you recommend the SC?

also being smaller it stands to reason it would run hotter but would there be a risk in a big case with 4 fans anyway?? or is it that with a big case you may as well opt for the bigger gpu with more fans?

There's the SC and then there's the version you linked to originally. By "OC" I just meant overclock, that's not the name of the card. The EVGA 1060 SC seems to be one of the most popular cards so yeah.

I don't know a ton about how much cooler some of the larger cards are honestly. All that really does is give you a bit more headroom for overclocking anyway so how big of a deal is that to you? If it's not a big deal then even the hotter cards would be fine for your needs.

Well, as much as I love this card it has done nothing but tease me too much with a 2k monitor. I grabbed an Asus 1070 Turbo OC. It will fit my case since it's basically the reference design.

I have a system with a Intel Core i5-2320 3.0GHz processor and a Radeon 7870 currently. Would it be worth upgrading to the 1060 with my current CPU or is it too old and would be too much of a bottleneck?

Cmagus

I'm still trying to get one of these lol. So what's the difference between brands because I can get a Gigabyte one now, does the brand matter? I was looking at an MSI one that I've been waiting to come in stock for $369 but checking this morning they've pulled it and the one that was $399 is now $499 they raised the price overnight.

My video card is going and I need to get something soon and honestly it's been almost a month and Newegg is still impossible to get anything.

I'm still trying to get one of these lol. So what's the difference between brands because I can get a Gigabyte one now, does the brand matter? I was looking at an MSI one that I've been waiting to come in stock for $369 but checking this morning they've pulled it and the one that was $399 is now $499 they raised the price overnight.

My video card is going and I need to get something soon and honestly it's been almost a month and Newegg is still impossible to get anything.

All the brands are more or less the same performance wise (maybe slightly different levels of manufacturer overclocking), but things like cooling systems and fan noise may differ. Also, customer support varies; EVGA seems to have a reputation for great service.

Edit-

According to nowinstock, the EVGA GTX 1060 SC is available at Amazon for $259
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IPVSLTC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cmagus

All the brands are more or less the same performance wise (maybe slightly different levels of manufacturer overclocking), but things like cooling systems and fan noise may differ. Also, customer support varies; EVGA seems to have a reputation for great service.

Edit-

According to nowinstock, the EVGA GTX 1060 SC is available at Amazon for $259
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IPVSLTC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Doesn't look like it's in stock anymore. I've been looking around everywhere and the only ones I can ever find in stock are the Gigabyte ones so i was just wondering because the others are selling out in minutes yet these ones seem untouched.

I've found some but because of the demand people are jacking up the prices almost between $60-$100 per card it's not worth it.

Was this posted before? Don't think this requires another thread but Nvidia just let out a 3GB 1060 SKU with fewer cores and an MSRP of $200. Wonder how this will end up competing against the AIB RX 470's or the reference RX 480 4GB Unicorn edition, for the same price.

dr_rus

Was this posted before? Don't think this requires another thread but Nvidia just let out a 3GB 1060 SKU with fewer cores and an MSRP of $200. Wonder how this will end up competing against the AIB RX 470's or the reference RX 480 4GB Unicorn edition, for the same price.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1265430

FWIW NV is saying that it's ~5% slower than the 6GB model. I would still advise against getting it as these 5% can easily turn in 50% when a game will require more than 3GBs of VRAM - and many games already do.

belmonkey

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1265430

FWIW NV is saying that it's ~5% slower than the 6GB model. I would still advise against getting it as these 5% can easily turn in 50% when a game will require more than 3GBs of VRAM - and many games already do.

I guess it may be fine if you turn textures down, but i'd go with a 6gb version personally. At $200 though, I could see the 3gb version being a good card for high resolution / high fps for less demanding games. If performance is similar to the full 1060,it sounds like it wouldn't be that bad of a 4k card for the most popular PC games that aren't terribly demanding. Or maybe for a lot of pre-2013 games.

dave_m123

Well i got my Palit Jetstream 1060 6GB today. Upgraded from a 670 and can already tell a huge difference.

Arkham Knight was a jerky mess on lower details on the 670. On this everything is max and its silky smooth!

Doom is also awesome.

So I'm having a bit of trouble overclocking my EVGA GTX 1060. The overclocking guides I'm seeing online aren't matching up with the options I see in MSI Afterburner. The Core Voltage section is completely unusable, even after checking all of the boxes that should enable it. And under Power Limit I don't see an option to Prioritize. I'm using MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 Beta 4, and from my understanding, this is what I should be using for Pascal cards. Here's a screencap of my interace.

5p1gIWv.png

Javin98

Banned
So, if anyone is curious, I just built a new PC during the weekend, packing an i5 6500 and Asus Dual OC 1060 with 8GB DDR4 2133MHZ RAM. Beat Crysis 3 last night and I can safely say that for 80% of the game my PC ran it at 1080p, rock solid 60FPS and max settings. There are some areas that can cause large dips, sometimes to low 40's. The large, open areas of Welcome To The Jungle with lots of vegetation are prime examples of this. However, in smaller areas and indoors, the game runs at a rock solid 60FPS again. On the other hand, in large indoor areas with many man made structures, frame rates can drop to low 50's. Surprisingly, the "Only Human" and "Red Star Rising" levels were almost entirely locked 60FPS despite the huge maps, with the exception of heavy firefights.

I will play Dark Souls 3 this weekend. Hopefully, a locked 60FPS is achievable at max settings, 1080p. Has anyone with a similar build tested Rise of The Tomb Raider?

dr_rus

So I'm having a bit of trouble overclocking my EVGA GTX 1060. The overclocking guides I'm seeing online aren't matching up with the options I see in MSI Afterburner. The Core Voltage section is completely unusable, even after checking all of the boxes that should enable it. And under Power Limit I don't see an option to Prioritize. I'm using MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 Beta 4, and from my understanding, this is what I should be using for Pascal cards. Here's a screencap of my interace.

5p1gIWv.png

Pascal has changed a lot in clocks and voltage controls. Read this guide: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-overclocking-guide-with-afterburner-4-3,1.html

byropoint

So, if anyone is curious, I just built a new PC during the weekend, packing an i5 6500 and Asus Dual OC 1060 with 8GB DDR4 2133MHZ RAM. Beat Crysis 3 last night and I can safely say that for 80% of the game my PC ran it at 1080p, rock solid 60FPS and max settings. There are some areas that can cause large dips, sometimes to low 40's. The large, open areas of Welcome To The Jungle with lots of vegetation are prime examples of this. However, in smaller areas and indoors, the game runs at a rock solid 60FPS again. On the other hand, in large indoor areas with many man made structures, frame rates can drop to low 50's. Surprisingly, the "Only Human" and "Red Star Rising" levels were almost entirely locked 60FPS despite the huge maps, with the exception of heavy firefights.

I will play Dark Souls 3 this weekend. Hopefully, a locked 60FPS is achievable at max settings, 1080p. Has anyone with a similar build tested Rise of The Tomb Raider?

I have a 1060 paired with 6700k. You can get 60fps in ROTR easily with close to max settings, I have shadows set on high instead of very high, vignette blur and motion blur off, PureHair on, SMAA and HBAO+, everything else maxed out, only place where it dipped below 60 was Geothermal Valley, that place is very GPU intense.

Javin98

Banned
I have a 1060 paired with 6700k. You can get 60fps in ROTR easily with close to max settings, I have shadows set on high instead of very high, vignette blur and motion blur off, PureHair on, SMAA and HBAO+, everything else maxed out, only place where it dipped below 60 was Geothermal Valley, that place is very GPU intense.
Thanks, sounds good. I'm a bit confused, though. When you say shadows, were you referring to the "shadow quality" option, "sun soft shadows" option or both? Also, PureHair at "just" on is a step below Very High, right?

byropoint

Thanks, sounds good. I'm a bit confused, though. When you say shadows, were you referring to the "shadow quality" option, "sun soft shadows" option or both? Also, PureHair at "just" on is a step below Very High, right?

Oh yeah, it's the Shadow Quality option, and yeah PureHair just On is below Very High. Also forgot to mention I run it in DX12 mode.

Javin98

Banned
Oh yeah, it's the Shadow Quality option, and yeah PureHair just On is below Very High. Also forgot to mention I run it in DX12 mode.
Thanks for the tip! I think when I get the game, I'll try to bump all settings to Very High. If it frequently drops below 60FPS and/or tanks to low 40's, I'll drop to the settings you're using. I don't really mind drops to mid 50's as long as it's not constant. What I'm worried of is my CPU. The i7 6700K is quite a bit more capable than the i5 6500. According to a DF video I just watched, where they compare the former to an i5 6600K in Crysis 3, the difference can be as large as 20FPS, so I'm going to assume those are CPU intensive situations. Really hope my i5 6500 can keep up in RotTR.

Thank you for that. I still need to watch their video, but I read the entire article, and even in their examples things are differing from my interface. I cannot adjust the slider for Core Voltage at all, whereas they even suggest in the article that you can still do so the old fashioned way with the sliders. I also have no option to prioritize Power Limit or Temp Limit. So what gives?

dr_rus

Thank you for that. I still need to watch their video, but I read the entire article, and even in their examples things are differing from my interface. I cannot adjust the slider for Core Voltage at all, whereas they even suggest in the article that you can still do so the old fashioned way with the sliders. I also have no option to prioritize Power Limit or Temp Limit. So what gives?

You should be able to do it with a slider but it won't be old fashioned way because the slider is setting a percentage change now instead of direct offset. And I believe that the prioritization feature was removed from Boost 3.0.

As for the voltage control being unavailable - did you try other options beyond the "Standard MSI"? Some cards are not compatible with AB's voltage control.

Btw, it's completely possible that AB doesn't support generic voltage control on 1060 cards yet as they were launched two months later than the last public AB version.

joecanada

I am indeed curious thanks for posting. I can't afford that Asus one but I've got an email alert open for the pny one which I hope to over clock a bit.
My other specs are identical to yours

Hesh

I received my ASUS ROG STRIX OC 6 GB GTX 1060 this week and I just noticed that over the past couple of days the fans never appeared on in GPU Tweak II. I tried setting it to "User Define" with my own curve and no dice, then even set it to Manual and still no dice. Anyone know what might be the problem? I can't seem to find a manual on the card anywhere, either. Checked ASUS' website and the Manual/Documents page brings up 0 results. It's only topped out at 56 C so far without the fans working, but with three honking fans I want this thing purring in the 30's.

Cmagus

I guess it may be fine if you turn textures down, but i'd go with a 6gb version personally. At $200 though, I could see the 3gb version being a good card for high resolution / high fps for less demanding games. If performance is similar to the full 1060,it sounds like it wouldn't be that bad of a 4k card for the most popular PC games that aren't terribly demanding. Or maybe for a lot of pre-2013 games.

So for this card

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Would it matter if you weren't concerned with maxing a game out on ultra? I mean i give up trying to find a card at this point it's becoming exhausting trying to catch these things when they pop up and Newegg is starting to remove the 6gb and replace them with the 3GB ones and I'm not paying to buy one from a 3rd party because they're marking them up by a huge amount. Personally i'm happy if i can play a game on high with good setting enabled as I'm not really a PC enthusiast but I'm also not 100% sure if a 3GB would be good enough.

Currently the card I have is super old and only has 2GB and right now I can run games like the new Deus Ex with textures set at high just fine but I can't have a ton of other options. This card is a huge step up from the one I have. I'm kind of hesitant on making the purchase though just incase.

Type_Raver

I'm finally going to buy the card this week, is the MSI custom good? (I havent seen asus here) I'm hoping for low temps since we have some really hot summers. OR should I wait for another model?

(This model: http://www.infor-ingen.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=127_130&product_id=1060 for 420 USD* )
I've also seen the Zotac® Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6G GDDR5 AMP for a similar price, but I dont know if that's better.

I have this card and its great!
Runs cool, is very quiet and overclocks well.

My peak overclock was 2139MHz / Memory 4831MHz. (Only used to find the limit and benchmark)

But my gaming overclock is rounded off at ~2100MHz / 4800MHz

EDIT:
Heres a comparison i did recently, which compares the cards stock speeds against its overclocked speeds:
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/9450314/fs/9482419#

joecanada

Canadian bros, Direct Canada has some cards today for what I consider decent prices...

got a SC EVGA one fan for 340 or so.

they had PNY base versions too for like 330 which I actually wanted but didn't notice

( I didn't need the small form factor and was gonna overclock the pny one myself) oh well, either way its a good day.

Is this card worth getting? I can get it for 180$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263

I have been thinking of upgrading from my 670, but I don't know if the jump is worth it since it's only 3vram.

Also 670 has more cuda cores and bus, if that means anything but I truly don't know.

I don't think it's a great idea getting a 3gb card at this point, many newer games will happily eat up even 4gb of video memory, and it's just putting a limit on yourself right out the gate. The 6gb model is likely fine for it's intended use and lifetime I'd say.

But now you have the rx480 8gb vs gtx 1060 6gb price / performance debate lol

Edit: The rx 480 4gb aftermarket cooler models would also be a decent choice but they are never in stock (same with the 8gb)

Caayn

Is this card worth getting? I can get it for 180$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263

I have been thinking of upgrading from my 670, but I don't know if the jump is worth it since it's only 3vram.

Also 670 has more cuda cores and bus, if that means anything but I truly don't know.
Don't get the 3GB model if you plan on going over 1080p anytime soon. The 3GB VRAM will bottleneck you. Also the 3GB model is a tad slower than the 6GB model due to the differences in core count between the two.

This video from digital foundry compares both versions of the 1060 and explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RWItff0eQ

terrible

Banned
Canadian bros, Direct Canada has some cards today for what I consider decent prices...

got a SC EVGA one fan for 340 or so.

they had PNY base versions too for like 330 which I actually wanted but didn't notice

( I didn't need the small form factor and was gonna overclock the pny one myself) oh well, either way its a good day.

Very nice! The SC is the one to get at that price for sure.

Don't get the 3GB model if you plan on going over 1080p anytime soon. The 3GB VRAM will bottleneck you. Also the 3GB model is a tad slower than the 6GB model due to the differences in core count between the two.

This video from digital foundry compares both versions of the 1060 and explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RWItff0eQ

I don't plan on going above 1080p, until maybe the Voltan series but even then idk for sure.

Anyone have the EVGA 1060 SC? Wondering what temps everyone is getting. Stock settings I'm hitting 75c in overwatch. If I set fans to aggressive it goes into the 50s

5olid_5nake

Hi everybody, so I was planning on buying a new graphics card and replacing my old gtx 650 ti, but before I go to my local tech store I was wondering if everything would be compatible with the gtx 1060.

tH0h7m.jpg

Among these things I also have 500W power supply. And I hope also that my CPU would not be bottleneck to gtx 1060?

Not really experienced in this kind of stuff, so any help would be appreciated. Thx! :)

Hi everybody, so I was planning on buying a new graphics card and replacing my old gtx 650 ti, but before I go to my local tech store I was wondering if everything would be compatible with the gtx 1060.

tH0h7m.jpg

Among these things I also have 500W power supply. And I hope also that my CPU would not be bottleneck to gtx 1060?

Not really experienced in this kind of stuff, so any help would be appreciated. Thx! :)

it will work just fine. your cpu might bottleneck you in a select few games but it will be uncommon

Crap, NVIDIA is sold out of the 1060 FE. Are they likely to get more in and this is temporary or since it's a FE, that's pretty much it?

Top Bottom