• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GTX 1060 Reviews

I was expecting more from the 1060.

Identical to the 480 in 1080p according to TechPowerUp but more expensive and 2GB less memory. Also slower in newer DX12/Vulkan titles.

I'll probably get either a 1070 or partner 480 now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well goddamn. Had a gigabyte 1060 in my cart was getting ready to pay and it was removed.

Newegg should at least allow you two minutes to check out before removing it!

Ptaaty

Guru3D measured 134W. Still, very low consumption, since the clock is much higher than the RX480.

Also this...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016...x_1060_founders_edition_review/4#.V44rv2grKwc

RX480 32% faster in Doom (Vulkan). If that's a sign of things to come in the future, i wouldn't recommend the 1060. Unless you plan to upgrade very soon...

1060 is in a great position right now. That said - it is crazy to see how bad AMDs drivers are on DX11. Vulkan and DX12 works so much better.

dr_rus

Looked through several reviews. There are some funny results there, like TW3 being faster on 480 than on 1060. I wonder if NV spent most of driver optimizations on titles where it used to perform badly compared to AMD and we'll see some bumps in the rest of the titles with later drivers.

Any Time Spy scores out there?

FHVb.png

No idea wft is going on with MSI card there. Edit: they've updated the chart.

I was expecting more from the 1060.

Identical to the 480 in 1080p according to TechPowerUp but more expensive and 2GB less memory. Also slower in newer DX12/Vulkan titles.

I'll probably get either a 1070 or partner 480 now.

That's only in Hitman which is slower in any API on NV thanks to AMD's GE program. Doom's Vulkan is not a sign of how things will be since it's missing both async compute and shader intrinsics on Pascals/Maxwells right now.

Kayant

What I find impressive is how the card uses at most the specified 120 Watt (measured by sites which actually do exact card-only measurements) in all games.
Yep that and PR of easy 2Ghz! being legit this time. Nvidia have really done a good job with this card it seems.

What's weird to me is that EVGA shows a 1060 with their standard ACX 3.0 dual-fan cooler design on their website's front page, but it is nowhere to be found if you actually go into their store page for 1060 cards. Only the ITX-sized one and its SC variant are listed there.

Ptaaty

a local PC store near me has the sapphire 480 for 250(retail price)

no markup, and available now.

Looks like I should just go ahead and get it, the 1060 looks like the same thing but with a shittier wait list?

Based bechnies: 1060 looks faster in DX11 and current drivers. RX480 looks faster in DX12, much faster with vulkan. I would also wager RX480 will improve more over time (AMD drivers just have more room to improve).

right, ordered one at pretty much what i expected price wise. no shipping costs and 2 day delivery. not bad at all. I just really really hope it's better than my last card, got fucked by the lottery with that one and it drove me off pc gaming for a while.

ZOONAMI

Looked through several reviews. There are some funny results there, like TW3 being faster on 480 than on 1060. I wonder if NV spent most of driver optimizations on titles where it used to perform badly compared to AMD and we'll see some bumps in the rest of the titles with later drivers.

EHVb.png

No idea wft is going on with MSI card there.

That's only in Hitman which is slower in any API on NV thanks to AMD's GE program. Doom's Vulkan is not a sign of how things will be since it's missing both async compute and shader intrinsics on Pascals/Maxwells right now.

What is going on with that timespy graph? It cannot OC well beyond even a gtx 1080. Other timespy results put it neck and neck with the rx 480.

What I find impressive is how the card uses at most the specified 120 Watt (measured by sites which actually do exact card-only measurements) in all games.

Agreed. This thing is perfect for my HTPC. I need a low profile for my secondary, so that'll have to wait. But I'm picking up one of those single fan 1060 models pronto for my primary HTPC. Extremely impressive average peak power usage. I'm a little sad to say this is what I had hoped for from the 480: Slightly better performance and somewhat better TDP/thermals.

The 480 is a good preduct. But if the 1060 is widely available at $249-$259 then AMD is going to have to drop the 480 8GB pricing to $229 or so, STAT.

Edit: Well, the EVGA cards look perfect for $249-$259. But the other one I'd want - Zotac - is $279. So...the plot thickens.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well newegg sold out in minutes. Had the $250 Gigabyte in my cart and was in the process of checking out before it was removed.

After reading reviews performance doesn't seem to be quite as great as expected, so I will likely see how an AIB 480 performs.

If Sapphire can ever get the fucking thing out.

Marlenus

The 480 is faster in AOTS DX12 and Warhammer DX12 as well.

Seems like the 1060 is a good buy at $249 if you are using it as a stop gap till big Pascal or Vega, if you are planning on keeping the card for 2 or so years the 480, based on current information, seems to be the way to go.

Well newegg sold out in minutes. Had the $250 Gigabyte in my cart and was in the process of checking out before it was removed.

After reading reviews performance doesn't seem to be quite as great as expected, so I will likely see how an AIB 480 performs.

If Sapphire can ever get the fucking thing out.

thought the Sapphire 480 was coming on Friday?

What's weird to me is that EVGA shows a 1060 with their standard ACX 3.0 dual-fan cooler design on their website's front page, but it is nowhere to be found if you actually go into their store page for 1060 cards. Only the ITX-sized one and its SC variant are listed there.

Assuming this is the same fan EVGA put on the 960 ITX models, does anyone have experience with it? How are the noise levels?

dr_rus

What is going on with that timespy graph? It cannot OC well beyond even a gtx 1080. Other timespy results put it neck and neck with the rx 480.
A bug apparently. They updated the chart, I've changed the image.

The 480 is faster in AOTS DX12 and Warhammer DX12 as well.

And what a surprise that is considering that both titles are AMD's GE. Both also provide a DX11 option where 1060 is actually faster than 480 in DX12.

msi card should be arriving friday. #RIP. i'll tell you guys how it is maybe pray it doesn't kill me pc somehow.

also pray it fits. i forgot to see what's inside and do some tidying up in there lol.

FHVb.png

No idea wft is going on with MSI card there. Edit: they've updated the chart.

async wont be coming to maxwell and we have no idea if shader intrinsics will be coming to any nvidia cards. at this point id wager they almost certainly will not. doom is probably at or very close to the end of its support excluding dlc

Jonbo298

Hell of a struggle holding back on the Gigabyte version off Newegg because I want it on Amazon due to having Prime. Hoping it is updated soon.

Sinistral

Looks like stock is an issue again, seeing the AIB 1060 cards at MSRP being sold out. Just shows how underappreciated this price bracket was.

Either way, was expected performance. If you can find an AIB 1060 for the $249 MSRP, this seems like a great card. Throws the Stock 8GB RX 480 a curve ball. DX11 vs DX12/Vulkan priority is the mixup and up to the buyer to figure out which is more important. Good to see the 1060 is no slouch here though.

For a budget or mainstream card for gaming at 1080p, the 4GB RX 480 at $199 is still king it seems, it's missing on a lot of those Performance per dollar graphs. Though finding this card to buy is an ordeal all it's own.

For new budget builds where one can squeeze in a 1080p Freesync monitor, the 4GB 480 is mighty attractive.

Now, if only these mythical AIB 480s can start to show up, it's been a real stupid long wait. These will be the main contender with the 1060's.

Marlenus

A bug apparently. They updated the chart, I've changed the image.

And what a surprise that is considering that both titles are AMD's GE. Both also provide a DX11 option where 1060 is actually faster than 480 in DX12.

Links to prove it or gtfo.

Warhammer DX12 provides a performance uplift on all hardware and AOTS is basically the same on NV hardware between APIs and provides an uplift for AMD.

msi card should be arriving friday. #RIP. i'll tell you guys how it is maybe pray it doesn't kill me pc somehow.

also pray it fits. i forgot to see what's inside and do some tidying up in there lol.

my card should be here thursday. after buying it I had a panic attack about if it would fit. frantically googled my current card to see.

Meh3D

HardOCP

I liked the HardOCP review. There seems to be two extremes of exaggeration in this thread. (Including the wall of charts.) Overall I find that HardOCP's review to be fairly accurate; at least their frame timings and play through data back up their conclusion and why NVidia released it early. It's not a 980 and its Vulcan/DX 12 performance it's questionable.

Actually, I agree that the 480 wipes the floor with it in Doom Vulkan. As unfair as it seems, the engineers that worked on Doom are all about Vulkan so it makes sense from that stand point.

As usual there is a huge price difference in the US, where this looks a good deal, and the rest of the world, where it doesn't look like a good deal.

rrs

That zotac card has an interesting upgraded cooler choice, the short cards are a godsend to anyone with a tiny case

Looks like stock is an issue again, seeing the AIB cards at MSRP being sold out. Just shows how underappreciated this price bracket was.

Either way, was expected performance. If you can find an AIB 1060 for the $249 MSRP, this seems like a great card. Throws the Stock 8GB RX 480 a curve ball. DX11 vs DX12 priority is the mixup and up to the buyer to figure out which is more important. Good to see the 1060 is no slouch here though.

For a budget or mainstream card for gaming at 1080p, the 4GB RX 480 at $199 is still king it seems, it's missing on a lot of those Performance per dollar graphs. Though finding one is an ordeal all it's own.

For new budget builds where one can squeeze in a Freesync monitor, the 4GB 480 is mighty attractive.

Now, if only these mythical AIB 480s can start to show up, it's been a real stupid long wait. These will be the main contender with the 1060's.

The price difference and future of FreeSync vs GSync can't be over-emphasized. It should be a pretty big factor for anyone who plans on upgrading their monitor to an Adaptive Sync screen at the same time as their GPU or sometime down the road.

Personally, I dont want to be locked into GSync long-term since it'll be a dead tech once Adaptive (Free) Sync starts getting wide penetration into consumer OLED/sUHD TVs. Among others, LG is going to be pushing FreeSync into large TVs in the next couple years. So, it's definitely something to consider if you do a lot of couch PC gaming like I do. I really like nVidia GPUs...but GSync cost and eventual obsolescence...eh...not so much. This is probably the biggest factor why I'll be finding a home for at least one AMD GPU as I upgrade my rigs. I'm about to buy my first FreeSync monitor and I wont be upgrading to a new OLED/SUHD TV until Adaptive Sync is standardized.

ViciousDS

Banned
Looks like stock is an issue again, seeing the AIB 1060 cards at MSRP being sold out. Just shows how underappreciated this price bracket was.

Either way, was expected performance. If you can find an AIB 1060 for the $249 MSRP, this seems like a great card. Throws the Stock 8GB RX 480 a curve ball. DX11 vs DX12/Vulkan priority is the mixup and up to the buyer to figure out which is more important. Good to see the 1060 is no slouch here though.

For a budget or mainstream card for gaming at 1080p, the 4GB RX 480 at $199 is still king it seems, it's missing on a lot of those Performance per dollar graphs. Though finding this card to buy is an ordeal all it's own.

For new budget builds where one can squeeze in a 1080p Freesync monitor, the 4GB 480 is mighty attractive.

Honestly.....it seems I'm going to have to wait months before stock isn't constrained to build my budget cube

A custom 1060 for $250 seems like a good value. Hopefully the OC 480 customs can compete. Otherwise AMD may have to drop it's price sooner than usual.

Edit: Seems like reviews are a mixed bag.

Lol @ the Asus Strix 3-fan "Lazy Design Overkill" Edition. Jesus. And for $329? Uh...no thanks.

Now, one of those svelte EVGA ITX models for $250-$260? Yes, please. Or maybe even the Zotac for $280....

Top Bottom