• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GTX 1060 Reviews

wachie

Not that great against the 480.

Supply will decide the fate of these two cards.

mF00RJv.png

Jaagen

So, how easy is it to change over from AMD to NVIDIA. Just uninstall the driver, plug in the card and install the new driver for the new card?

dr_rus

Looks like it's overall faster than the 480. So if you can get one for MSRP it's probably the card to go with.

Yep, if you can get one for $250 or close to it it's the best perf/$:

perfdollar_1920_1080.png
perfdollar_2560_1440.png

If it's $280+ then a 480 8GB may be a better option (depending on 480's local pricing which is far from being uniformly $230) if you're ok with a bit less performance on average.

Not that great against the 480.

Supply will decide the fate of these two cards.

VlW0saO.png

Why would you compare these cards in 4K? Cherry picking? Neither of them will provide playable framerates in this resolution.

pislit

Yeah lol. I wanted to go with AMD but with that stupid pricing, there is no way I can go with 480. 1060 it is.

I was waiting for the better cooling RX480, but at this stage, the 1060 should be cheaper, no matter the model, across the board. My god AMD what are you doing in the very market that you should be winning.

wachie

Why would you compare these cards in 4K? Cherry picking? Neither of them will provide playable framerates in this resolution.
Calm down doctor, I thought that the first graph would be the average of all resolutions. I'm busy updating the OP at the same time.

Edited the graph, sentiment remains same.

Marlenus

The 480 smashes it in Hitman DX12 and Doom Vulcan and beats it in AOTS DX12 and warhammer DX12.

Not so sure how long this card will stay ahead in the averages as more and more DX12 games get added to the benchmarking suites.

FE is too expensive IMO. After market is more like it but this seems like a very short term card to me.

dr_rus

Some more reviews:
http://pclab.pl/art70607.html
https://www.overclockers.ru/lab/77792/obzor-i-testirovanie-videokarty-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060.html
https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/6834/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-review-mid-range-van-nvidia
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1060-fcat-frametime-analysis-review,1.html

Calm down doctor, I thought that the first graph would be the average of all resolutions. I'm busy updating the OP at the same time.

Edited the graph, sentiment remains same.

Why? It's pretty obviously a better perf/watt AND perf/$ option if the price is right. Granted the difference is small but nobody expected it to be big - an OCed 1060 is reaching 980Ti levels which is basically where 1070 is already.

Xater

Yep, if you can get one for $250 or close to it it's the best perf/$:

In Germany the pricing would be 269€ for a 480 and 279€ for a 1060. The 10€ more is not that relevant I think.

I'm curious what the pricing will look like in the fall when I expect to build my machine.

The people who buy the RX 480 aren't going for the 8GB model, its price isn't compelling with that version of the card. $199-220 for an RX 480 versus $250-300 for a GTX 1060, that's a significant price difference. There's still a place for both cards in the market, but AMD isn't going to dominate it since there will be people out there with the money for the faster Nvidia card.

DPB

The people who buy the RX 480 aren't going for the 8GB model, its price isn't compelling with that version of the card. $199-220 for an RX 480 versus $250-300 for a GTX 1060, that's a significant price difference. There's still a place for both cards in the market, but AMD isn't going to dominate it since there will be people out there with the money for the faster Nvidia card.

You can't actually buy the 4GB 480 anymore though, it's out of stock everywhere. It looks it was a limited run to full fill a marketing bullet point. Will have to wait and see what happens with custom 4GB models, but so far only Gigabyte have advertised one.

mark-san

Banned
What I find impressive is how the card uses at most the specified 120 Watt (measured by sites which actually do exact card-only measurements) in all games.

Guru3D measured 134W. Still, very low consumption, since the clock is much higher than the RX480.

Also this...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016...x_1060_founders_edition_review/4#.V44rv2grKwc

RX480 32% faster in Doom (Vulkan). If that's a sign of things to come in the future, i wouldn't recommend the 1060. Unless you plan to upgrade very soon...

a local PC store near me has the sapphire 480 for 250(retail price)

no markup, and available now.

Looks like I should just go ahead and get it, the 1060 looks like the same thing but with a shittier wait list?

Oxn

a local PC store near me has the sapphire 480 for 250(retail price)

no markup, and available now.

Looks like I should just go ahead and get it, the 1060 looks like the same thing but with a shittier wait list?

Get the $250 gigabyte version linked above. Great value.

I went with zotac cause it looks better, and it has copper heatpipes, don't mind paying extra,

Durante

Is there a substantial performance difference between these AiB's or is it wise to just spring for the Gigabyte?
They haven't been tested yet, but if the past is any indication at all then the expensive AiB's won't be worth it, especially on a 120 W card.

gigabyte sold out on newegg. everything else is still available.
first rule. always have account logged in. and have payment method ready

Marmelade

Hardware.fr
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/952...rd-test-face-aux-founders-edition-nvidia.html

Some interesting info in their conclusion:

They're saying that Nvidia worked closely with their partners so that they could offer an attractive price, close to the RX 480 one but that it may only be temporary and some of those partners already told hardware.fr that they woud up the prices after some time.

They also did some preliminary tests on the XFX RX 480 Black Edition and the perf was around what you'd get with the 1060 FE.

The overclocking potential shouldn' be great either, looks like the AIB 480 are already pushed close to the max.

Top Bottom