• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

game-performance-new.png

quad-sli-performance-new.png

So wait, does Metro 2033 run at 60+fps or 30fps? These graphs are weird.

You guys aren't reading the graphs right. The dark green is one 680, and the light green is the 690. It shows you right on it.

And the bottom graph compares one 690 to 2 690s in SLI. =)

From looking at these 2 charts it seems that there is a large difference. Top one has the 690 be small amount over 60 whereas the bottom has it at 30ish for a single 690 and a bit bellow 60 for 2 690s in quad-SLI. Makes sense to me if they want to make their numbers look more impressive to be playing the min, max avg game here.

The top graph the 690 is the light green and in the bottom graph it's the dark green =)

edit, hmm seems you're right...something is wrong here. =/

Sethos

Banned
You guys aren't reading the graphs right. The dark green is one 680, and the light green is the 690. It shows you right on it.

I think you are reading it wrong. Check the top graph in say Metro 2033 for the 690 ( Light green ), that's at over 60FPS. Now check the bottom graph this time the dark green, which is also the 690 - Now it's suddenly 30FPS.

I think you are reading it wrong. Check the top graph in say Metro 2033 for the 690 ( Light green ), that's at over 60FPS. Now check the bottom graph this time the dark green, which is also the 690 - Now it's suddenly 30FPS.

yea, I just caught that.. I only looked at Crysis when I did that comparison. My bad.

These graphs are completely useless.

Theonik

Never implied they were made up, just the fact that they were all over the place and very much useless.

In any case, will be interesting to see what it can do when real reviewers get their hands on it. Because the chance of any actual customers getting this are slim to none :p
In that case we both agree then. Also way too true on the second point, if they're having supply issues with 680s I can't imagine how bad it's going to be for a card with 2 of them.

Hawk269

Is it best to have a custom fan profile in the 680? I'm using default and don't see any problems. Can soneone post a good profile to use?

Yes. I use a 1 for 1 match. So when my card hits 60c the fan is at 60%. Works out great for me and I never hit anything higher that 65c on the top card of my SLI setup and this is with an hour of Unigine, Battlefield 3, Witcher 2 etc and never hit higher than 65c...that is also with a +100 offset and +400 on the memory. So a good overclock and controlled temps.

ChryZ

Graduated from my GTX460 to the Gainward GTX680 Phantom.

I couldn't be happier with its performance, plays really well with my oc'd i5-760. Minor bummer, a little bit of coil whine, not when idle, only in-game when cold, after 5-10 minutes it disappears.

Perfect fit in the Antec300, card is as long as the mobo:

Also ... dust filter, so damn useful.

Arucardo

Guys, I ordered a GTX680 and now I have no money left....

Will an OCed E6600 cpu be enough for this beast?

lol, that's a significant bottleneck in most new games. Even my second pc with a 560 Ti is being bottle necked by a E8400 clocked to 4,2 ghz. Main gaming rig has a 2500K so no issues there.

iNvid02

$1000 should be about £800, thats just crazy.

but then again my 3GB 580s were £400+ each, so what the fuck am i talking about.

is there a comparison somewhere between a 690 and 2x 580s?

lol, that's a significant bottleneck in most new games. Even my second pc with a 560 Ti is being bottle necked by a E8400 clocked to 4,2 ghz. Main gaming rig has a 2500K so no issues there.

damnit

I'll just use my godamn creditcard and buy a new mobo and cpu then.

Is PCie 3.0 neccessary? I found a good mobo for 100 euro (demo product) and am about to click order, but it only has pcie 2.0

So what do you say? Its Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5

Arucardo

damnit

I'll just use my godamn creditcard and buy a new mobo and cpu then.

Is PCie 3.0 neccessary? I found a good mobo for 100 euro (demo product) and am about to click order, but it only has pcie 2.0

So what do you say? Its Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5

AFAIK the performance difference is minimal.

HD7970-68.jpg

not sure if it's the same for Nvidia but I would imagine it is.

dLMN8R

My Q9550 bottlenecks my GTX 680 like crazy, even after overclocking it to 3.4GHz. I can't imagine how terrible a Core 2 Duo would be.

Sethos

Banned
No offence to anyone but I always laugh when people pair brand new, high-end GPUs with ancient shitty CPUs and gets sort of surprised when it bottlenecks the shit out of the system :p

Jtrizzy

Still can't justify $1k for a card with 2gb of vram. If I were to drop that much I'd wouldn't even want to be tempted to upgrade for 2 years minimum. I assume that there will be an hdmi out on other manufacturers cards?

The Hermit

I am probably going to buy the 680 in the next week, so I have a couple of questions:
cost/performance which is better, i5 2500k or i7 2600k?
what MOBO is the most recommended for that setup?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I am probably going to buy the 680 in the next week, so I have a couple of questions:
cost/performance which is better, i5 2500k or i7 2600k?
what MOBO is the most recommended for that setup?

Pure gaming setup?
Id vote 2500K the extra cost of a 2600K doesnt give enough of a boost in the gaming arena.

This generation really is turning out pretty bad...was just looking at newegg and most 7850's are now actually increasing in price, to 269!

Most people were underwhelmed with both the price performance of Nvidia and AMD's latest, you cant get 680 anywhere for msrp,...and now Ivy Bridge kinda sucks! And I haven't even mentioned Bulldozer LOL...

I have a bad feeling the process shrink problems are the real cause of this...

_woLf

I'm starting to lose patience waiting for the 4GB model of the 680... I think I may end up picking up an EVGA Superclocked if I ever catch one in stock on Newegg.

This generation really is turning out pretty bad...was just looking at newegg and most 7850's are now actually increasing in price, to 269!

Most people were underwhelmed with both the price performance of Nvidia and AMD's latest, you cant get 680 anywhere for msrp,...and now Ivy Bridge kinda sucks! And I haven't even mentioned Bulldozer LOL...

I have a bad feeling the process shrink problems are the real cause of this...

Yeah, I'm half considering getting a 6870 on the cheap to just sit this out another year.

Durante

Most people were underwhelmed with both the price performance of Nvidia and AMD's latest, you cant get 680 anywhere for msrp
This doesn't really make much sense. If people were underwhelmed with 680, wouldn't it be easy to get one for MSRP?
(FWIW a few different models are in stock almost everywhere here in Austria, and have been for weeks)

Well I guess some people do want them, but we dont really know what supply they have either, it could be incredibly limited.

I'm just saying on forums you find plenty of people saying this generations performance jumps were piss poor compared to prior, especially when taking into account pricing.

You may have a jump at the high end, but honestly in the middle-low end (only ATI right now) you're paying the same for the same performance as last gen. You just get more overclocking ability and other side benefits.

Combine that with Ivy Bridge where right now on newegg the 2500k IB counterpart is actually more expensive, for a small jump in performance and less overclocking...

Durante

I agree that the general development sucks, for CPUs progress has crawled for years (my old i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz is still more than good enough). And now it seems like physics are starting to catch up on GPUs as well. I remember when you could find a GPU that does more twice as fast as your old one, for the same price, after 12 months.

I guess it's good for people that don't want to spend much to keep up, but pretty boring for us enthusiasts.

I agree that the general development sucks, for CPUs progress has crawled for years (my old i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz is still more than good enough). And now it seems like physics are starting to catch up on GPUs as well. I remember when you could find a GPU that does more twice as fast as your old one, for the same price, after 12 months.

I guess it's good for people that don't want to spend much to keep up, but pretty boring for us enthusiasts.

My i7-920, I've had now for what? 3 1/2 years or so OC's at 3.8 GHz still really doesn't get pushed. I don't imagine it will either until the next console cycle comes around and the PC gets stuck with ports where it has to brute force graphics to make it comparable. Though, hell I won't argue not having to buy another CPU. That GTX 680 makes every game buttery smooth.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
yes, just saw the reviews. Will buy at the end of May as soon as they repair my AMD card.

FIX. YOUR. DRIVERS. AMD.

tokkun

This doesn't really make much sense. If people were underwhelmed with 680, wouldn't it be easy to get one for MSRP?

That all depends on both supply and demand. We don't know how many of these cards are making it to retail channels. As for demand, even if we know the 680 was originally intended as a mainstream card until it got a rename and price hike, there isn't a much better option unless you are willing to wait half a year.

_woLf

Gah. I'm hearing rumors that the 4GB 680 will cost upwards of $699...looks like I'll just get an EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked.

theRizzle

Ordered an ASUS 680 Direct CU II from NCIX, even though they are on "back order". Won't be able to build for another 4 weeks, so I am not really in a rush to get it, although if I see it available somewhere else (haven't yet) I will just order from there and cancel my NCIX order.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hopefully the 670 rush won't be as bad.

I know I should be able to get one with the amount of inv. checking and auto refreshing I'll be doing though.

Riggs

Banned
Running an i7 960 @ 3.2ghz stock. Will this be ok for a 680?

I am pretty sure it will not be a bottleneck, but figured I'd ask.

EVGA Superclocked 680 on Newegg right now

***Nevermind - They're gone. This is the worst video launch ever in terms of availabilty. Sigh...maybe sometime this month I'll be able to get one

Top Bottom