• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

1-D_FTW

I agree that the general development sucks, for CPUs progress has crawled for years (my old i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz is still more than good enough). And now it seems like physics are starting to catch up on GPUs as well. I remember when you could find a GPU that does more twice as fast as your old one, for the same price, after 12 months.

I guess it's good for people that don't want to spend much to keep up, but pretty boring for us enthusiasts.

At least the high end get something in the performance department.

The middle range cards are getting the same shit repackaged at higher prices.

I finally have the money to start building my new comp and remembered several weeks back there being some sort of mailing list for notifications if any 680s are in stock. Is that still around?

Chris R

Wonder if nVidia will just put 670 cards out without any major press releases or event... Maybe even silently doing it like next week...

theRizzle

Alright, stupid question time: will a GTX680 be enough to give smooth framerates at 2560x1440?

In what?

From all reports, 680 barely keeps about 60fps on Ultra in BF3 at 1080P, but that is with AA and AF on pretty high. (not absolutely sure about this, but I feel like that's what I have been reading)

SmartBase

In what?

From all reports, 680 barely keeps about 60fps on Ultra in BF3 at 1080P, but that is with AA and AF on pretty high. (not absolutely sure about this, but I feel like that's what I have been reading)

Yeah I was wondering about framerates in BF3, I'd only use maybe 2xMSAA but definitely still use 16xAF. My 580 runs the game fine on Ultra at the moment but that's only at 1080p.

Sethos

Banned
I doubt it would cost that much, but IMO there is no point in waiting for the 4GB anyway, from this review, it barely makes any diff at 2560x1600 http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/46...ce_gtx_680_4gb_video_card_review/index11.html

Unless you play on 3 monitors or something, I wouldnt bother waiting.

You don't buy a 4GB for ordinary gaming at high settings with a bit of AA. 4GB allows you a ton of headroom especially when you apply the numerous of IQ enhancing stuff Nvidia has, that can eat Vram right up and even some mods for games have a tendency to throw optimization to the wind and use extremely high-res textures. Point in case, I tried the "I work Alone" mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R a while back and that mod has new textures. When I cranked that up to highest the game stuttered like a son of a bitch, it'd eat up the 1.5GB on my 580. Even at lower settings it'd still spike at well over 2GB.

I couldn't stand the idea of putting that much money towards a 512MB bump in Vram, I personally waited for the 4GB and I'm glad I did - It's all about versatility outside of the normal range of games.

And for multi-monitor setups.

Obviously there's lots of factors to figure in, price etc. and some of the places price the 4GB so high, the benefits are pummeled to the ground and spat on. I got my Palits 4GB for the same price as a reference 680 in my parts of the world, I'm happy.

Anybody who buys a 690 is genuinely crazy, and not in the good way.

I suppose this is genuinely crazy, but in a good way?

oh, you know I think I've figured it out. in either instance, if you've got the money to burn why not? even Uncle Scrooges money bin will get full at some point.

_woLf

I doubt it would cost that much, but IMO there is no point in waiting for the 4GB anyway, from this review, it barely makes any diff at 2560x1600 http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/46...ce_gtx_680_4gb_video_card_review/index11.html

Unless you play on 3 monitors or something, I wouldnt bother waiting.

Huh, interesting article. Yeah, I figure if the 4GB 680 is only slightly more expensive, I probably won't have too much trouble selling a 680 on eBay for relatively close to retail price.

mkenyon

Banned
At what online retailers?
Was only on EVGA.com. Sold out in like 90 seconds.

I suppose this is genuinely crazy, but in a good way?

oh, you know I think I've figured it out. in either instance, if you've got the money to burn why not? even Uncle Scrooges money bin will get full at some point.
Need 120FPS. It's a $150 savings compared to 680 SLI under water.

FPnPa.png

If these things really do end up going for $2K on ebay, definitely going to do that.

theRizzle

I still haven't seen a 680 for sale anywhere in Canada online. There were a few in-store at MemoryExpress, but everyone is "Back Ordered".

Has nVidia said anything about when (if ever) they are expecting an increase in supply?

I still haven't seen a 680 for sale anywhere in Canada online. There were a few in-store at MemoryExpress, but everyone is "Back Ordered".

Has nVidia said anything about when (if ever) they are expecting an increase in supply?

If you believe charlie, they're permanently screwed.

he says they have a defect and will have to redo the 680 chip, a process that will take months and months (in fact he thinks by the time it's done the successor or that big chip may be out, so they may not even bother). in the meanwhile there will be little supply.

course it's charlie, but i actually wonder if there's some truth, as amd has a fully available lineup on 28nm.

r3n4ud

Check out extreme-pc.ca

Newegg.ca has them periodically. There were a few times where I saw one in stock, added it to my cart, but just couldn't bring myself to spend the $550. They go quick though.

Canada Computers had a few in store too, but they're gone now.

Theres a bunch on craigslist though

Kevin

Geeze $1200? I paid $750 for my GTX 590 and that was an OC version. So what's next? $2000 for the GTX 790 next year? Graphics card prices are getting out of control.

Credo

That $1200 is quite the eye-opener. We're still expecting the GTX 660 to be $250 when it finally comes out, right?

I've been going back and forth on waiting for a 660 at that price or trying to get a 560 for about half the price, and I still can't decide. Will it be worth paying an extra $120-130 to get a 660 over a 560?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
$1200 for a 690? A near $600 launch for the 7970? A $500+ 680? Ugh... It looks like we're fining getting back into the high end of card pricing again. For a little while, prices were actually surprisingly reasonable. Still hoping to see a $350 670 this summer. I'll likely upgrade if we do.

So there's now news on the 690. When do we get word/release of the 670 or 660? Most interested in the 670, though I may end up splurging for a 680 whenever I do make my build.

Firebrand

So there's now news on the 690. When do we get word/release of the 670 or 660? Most interested in the 670, though I may end up splurging for a 680 whenever I do make my build.
While there's no official word it seems the GTX670 will be launched (available?) on May 10th. Saw some specs and pics over at Sweclockers, but again, nothing official:

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/15376-geforce-gtx-670-pa-bild-kostar-3-800-kronor
http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/15...-litet-kretskort-och-overdimensionerad-kylare

How are the reference coolers on the 6xx series? Loud? Been waiting for the GTX670 but wondering if maybe I should hold out for a WindForce model or something similar.

mkenyon

Banned
That $1200 is quite the eye-opener. We're still expecting the GTX 660 to be $250 when it finally comes out, right?

I've been going back and forth on waiting for a 660 at that price or trying to get a 560 for about half the price, and I still can't decide. Will it be worth paying an extra $120-130 to get a 660 over a 560?
Well, MSRP is $999, which is what I paid at evga.com.
And people keep buying them.... thats the problem.
I can't help myself. I'm like a fat kid with a bowl of cookies in front of him.

scogoth

Given they can't keep their low volume products in stock I don't think you will see a 670 or 660 in high availability anytime soon.

Well, MSRP is $999, which is what I paid at evga.com.

I can't help myself. I'm like a fat kid with a bowl of cookies in front of him.

I'm like a fat kid with a bowl of chips ahoy in front of me but keep thinking if I wait I'll get mrs fields cookies. I want a hydro copper classified, I don't care if it's 2 680s or 690.

Also you should have got the signature 690 for that 4gb ram =P

theRizzle

It was really nice for NCIX to charge me for a $600 card they have on back-order, especially since it doesn't appear as though they will be getting them in any time soon.

Hawk269

Was only on EVGA.com. Sold out in like 90 seconds.

Need 120FPS. It's a $150 savings compared to 680 SLI under water.

FPnPa.png

If these things really do end up going for $2K on ebay, definitely going to do that.

So you were one of the lucky SOB's. I totally screwed up. I was on first thing before they posted the cards and the first thing that popped up was the pre-order for the Signature 690. Not knowing that they also had a regular version I pre-ordered thinking that later in the day it would change to the actual item....1 min later the regular version was put up but due to them only allowing you one 690 (they count a pre-order as if you bought it already) I could not get one. Even made another account but by the time I hit submit order they were gone! Oh well.

In other news....I know alot of you guys are looking for 680's...Well I will have 2 of them for sale. They are Evga 680's with the backplate and high-flow bracket attached. Since they are Evga the Warranty is tied to the card, not the owner so whoever buys them will have the 3 year Warranty on the cards. Not looking to make any money off of them, so I will sell them at face value and include shipping (U.S. Only). I am selling them for $500.00 each and like I said I will pay for UPS Shipping.

Please PM if interested. I plan to sell them sometime next week, so first come first option. Cards are in excellent condition, only 32 days old each.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm like a fat kid with a bowl of chips ahoy in front of me but keep thinking if I wait I'll get mrs fields cookies. I want a hydro copper classified, I don't care if it's 2 680s or 690.

Also you should have got the signature 690 for that 4gb ram =P
EK blocks man. Cheaper, less restriction, and prettier. Plus then you have an air cooler to put back on it if you were to ever sell it or put it in a different rig.
So you were one of the lucky SOB's.
EVGA actually called me yesterday to congratulate me on being one of the 'limited few' to get one, and to confirm my address as well as notify me it was going out. I feel like a king.

Chris R

I have to wonder if nVidia isn't doing some of this on purpose. Tight supply and high demand = inflated prices, even more so when you think of what this card was originally going to be :|

Here is hoping that the 10th does bring the 670 though.

Top Bottom