• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

Mystery

Congrats mkenyon...the GTX 690 is looking tight! If I could find two of 'em I'd simplify my setup. Not going to work too hard on it, though. :)

I don't recommend anyone to go quad-SLI right now. Drivers just aren't there. Lots of funkiness.

Can you elaborate? Sometimes in SC2 (tri-SLI), the game won't load my textures, or one of the cores clocks down to like 300 mhz. Reinitializing the driver or resetting the overclock seems to fix this. Are you experiencing anything similar?

theRizzle

So I am basically at the point where I am going to buy either a 680 or 690, depending on what I can find first. I did see a Zotac and a Gigabyte 680 today but if I am going to spend that much money on a card, I want it to at least match my case colors.

sk3tch

Can you elaborate? Sometimes in SC2 (tri-SLI), the game won't load my textures, or one of the cores clocks down to like 300 mhz. Reinitializing the driver or resetting the overclock seems to fix this. Are you experiencing anything similar?

Yeah, little things like that would be a good indication of SLI/CFX funkiness. It's just something you have to accept as someone doing multi-GPU. It will get better with time. For example, last gen I started out with 6970 CFX...ugh. Moved to 580 SLI...awesome. This was over a year after the 580 was released. Super tight. Super reliable. Great scaling. It's just new now. It'll get better.

I'm more concerned with the current scaling. Especially since I only play one game (for the most part) - BF3. I'm all maxed at 4800x900 except 8XAA and 2XMSAA so I can get as close to 90 FPS constant as possible (gaming on 120hz). If I try maxed out 4800x900 (or 5760x1080) it can chug at times. Just not worth it with online gaming. I KNOW this setup can do better than that. Because for one, my tri-SLI 680 setup did about that well. So it's like the 4th card isn't doing anything, heh.

I'm also having lots of problems with CoD:MW3 (5760x1080 is mad squished looking and single screen gaming caps at like 45 FPS LOL...no clue)...but I haven't troubleshooted it much since I just go play it on my other PC with 7970 CFX, instead.

Hawk269

Plus 690 is a limited run with top-bin chips, stock will be non-existent when the first run is complete, I believe. 680 SLI also allows room to purchase a third, maybe even used and enjoy a boost there. Unlike the 690 which will be a bitch to find and probably cost even more than it does now due to rarity. Even now prices are pushing way past RRP.

690 looks to be a sweet card, real high quality but I'd still go 680 SLI.

Then again, it's all luxury decisions :p

Where did you hear that the 690 is a limited run GPU???

Nvidia has stated that they plan to produce the 690 for well over a year...so not sure where you are hearing that it is a limited run item. Only one place at the time is gauging the price and that is Newegg. Other sites that have the 690 are set at MSRP of $999.99 or just slightly higher.

Sethos

Banned
Where did you hear that the 690 is a limited run GPU???

Nvidia has stated that they plan to produce the 690 for well over a year...so not sure where you are hearing that it is a limited run item. Only one place at the time is gauging the price and that is Newegg. Other sites that have the 690 are set at MSRP of $999.99 or just slightly higher.

Just going by what various reviews and reports state;

Guru3D: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-690-review/26

The GeForce GTX 690 is a limited volume product though, and as such NVIDIA could have priced these cards 2000 USD and would have still sold the inventory. That said and out of the way I am not going deeply into pricing, we all know it, we all dislike it .. but it is what it is really.

And I've seen that mentioned a few times now - Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

As for price gauging, there's this tiny place called Yurop where I'm from, that's what I'm basing it on :p I've seen the pre-order price on this thing skyrocket to insane numbers in some of my local stores. Some stores know they can pick the customers for money with this card.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I have to say, I wasn't really expecting the size of the 690 pricetag over here...

1400 usd.

That's what I gave for my entire pc 12 months ago.

Sigh... someone transfer me a grand? Goob..err Gaf...pls.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it's not directly related to this thread but I bought 550ti yesterday to replace my broken 7950 and Arma II runs better on the same settings than with 7950! It's ridiculous! No more AMD cards for me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Are the 4Gb versions of the 680 readily available yet?

n0n44m

http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/27582/point-of-view-heeft-geforce-gtx-670-gereed

anyone seen those fake looking SQUARE 670 pcb pictures? check the link above lol ... they're real! so cute :p

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4...2gb_video_card_performance_preview/index.html

and tweaktown benched it already

edit: maybe we should make it the 670/680/690 thread? especially the 670 will be pretty popular given its expected performance and price. Only its availability can stop it from becoming a huge success for Nvidia I guess ... I mean look at that PCB, that should be so much cheaper to produce than a 470/570 ...

Durante

The 670 has also started to show up in German retailer listings.

Chiptakt: 915MHz
Speichertakt: 1500MHz
Chip: GK104
Speicherinterface: 256-bit
Stream-Prozessoren: 1344
Textureinheiten: 112
Maximaler Verbrauch: 175W
That would put its compute capabilities at almost exactly 80% of 680, but with 100% of the memory bandwidth (pretty strange, but not unwelcome).

sk3tch

they sit very close to each other. How do you cool them? Water-cooling?

Air. Temps are around 65C max after a full round of BF3 online (aggressive fan profile, 60% min). Water cooling isn't necessary. These are reference 680s so the heat gets dumped out of the back instead of inside of the case, as well.

nice to see another 5760x1080@120hz user! :) have you tried https://www.widescreenfixer.org/?

Had not heard of it! Thank you. :)

EDIT: I see it modifies the exe or something? I am a bit worried because I play online MP in every game I play. He says no one has ever been banned or anything...but how do you use it? No problems?

Shambles

anyone seen those fake looking SQUARE 670 pcb pictures? check the link above lol ... they're real! so cute :p

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4...2gb_video_card_performance_preview/index.html

edit: maybe we should make it the 670/680/690 thread? especially the 670 will be pretty popular given its expected performance and price. Only its availability can stop it from becoming a huge success for Nvidia I guess ... I mean look at that PCB, that should be so much cheaper to produce than a 470/570 ...

Heh, that's a nice "screw you nvidia" review, i love it.

Yeah this really should just be called the Kepler thread. We already have a PC building thread for people discussing builds and purchases.

AMD is going to look really bad when they have to drop the 7970 down from $550 at release to something near or under $400 to compete with the GTX 670

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Why hello there, GTX 570 replacement.

Mrbob

Yeah I can't believe how tiny the 670 is. Sounds like a ton of performance out of a small card. Might be time to replace my 470.

Edit: Finished the Tweaktown review, wow. AMD is in trouble if the 670 can hang with their flagship single gpu card.

iNvid02

over here the 690 costs £850-£900, so its still a little cheaper than what my 3GB 580s cost.

i think i could sell them and get about £600, netting a 690 for £300, i would be tempted but 2GB ram is not enough

and the 4gb 680s are going for £600 each which i dont wanna pay, i'm not gonna get anything yet

Mrbob

Are we expecting $399 for the GTX 670?

If Nvidia was cruel to AMD they would go for $299, but then they would cut off GTX 680 sales at the same time.

Smokey

I agree with this..just make a new thread for the Nvidia 600 series now that the 680, 690, and soon to be 670 are out.

yanhero

Are we expecting $399 for the GTX 670?

If Nvidia was cruel to AMD they would go for $299, but then they would cut off GTX 680 sales at the same time.

Even at $399 they would cut off a lot of GTX 680 sales. It would be 20% drop in price for a 5 to 10% drop in performance...makes me kinda regret getting the 680.

xXJonoXx

I want to get a 27" monitor that is running 2560x1440. Right now I have a 560ti 1GB. I hear that It would be best to have a card with 1.5GB+ VRAM. Would one 680 GTX 2GB be good enough to run most games at the highest settings at this new resolution with no AA with 40+ FPS?

Or should I get a 580 3GB?

yanhero

So tiny.
80% GTX 680 performance? Probably $399 launch with customs being $419.

I really hope they move it down to $350/$370 customs though.

*Rehosted TweakTown 670 benches:
http://videocardz.com/32728/geforce-gtx-670-review-tweaktown

**What are the odds nVidia releases this as the 670Ti and charges $449 :lol

Considering its much closer to 95% GTX 680's performance than 80%, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was priced at $449, but from all the leaks, its clear by now it will be called the 670.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Considering its much closer to 95% GTX 680's performance than 80%, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was priced at $449, but from all the leaks, its clear by now it will be called the 670.
Yeah I posted that number before I found a rehosting of the review images. Super sick performance. The only question now is how it overclocks considering the turbo boost thing and 2x6pins. It's already coming clocked very close to 1000Mhz boost.

It's funny now because it hits home that I don't need a better GPU, but a CPU.
Oh well, 2600K's are plenty easy to find cheap, might as well upgrade both. :D

Damn ive got a GTX 680 waiting to be shipped from Amazon (monday), should have waited for a 670.

But if its been this hard to get a 680, imagine how hard it will be to get a 670 for the price/performance.

Its gonna sell like crazy.

pestul

So where are Nvidia's new $199 and $299 replacements? You know.. the price point where they can actually make some money.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't see why NVidia would price the GTX 670 any lower than $450. They really don't have to. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it hits at $400.

scogoth

I don't see why NVidia would price the GTX 670 any lower than $450. They really don't have to. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it hits at $400.

400? Doubt it. I'm betting it will be $10 less than the 7970 just to give AMD another kick in the balls.

So where are Nvidia's new $199 and $299 replacements? You know.. the price point where they can actually make some money.

When, you know, they can actually make them. 28nm yields are really bad for them right now, so they go for low volume, high margins and they STILL can't make enough cards. Theres no way they could meet the demand for the $200 market right now.

Rootbeer

Banned
for cost reasons i insist on buying my 680 from amazon... but the stock issues are getting kinda unbearable... even if nvidia launches the 670 soon to help spread the load of demand, I don't see them being able to fulfill it.

I've been checking about 50 - 100 times per day (every time I think about it, basically) and never anything that isn't a third party seller marking it up by $100 or $200.

for cost reasons i insist on buying my 680 from amazon... but the stock issues are getting kinda unbearable... even if nvidia launches the 670 soon to help spread the load of demand, I don't see them being able to fulfill it.

I've been checking about 50 - 100 times per day (every time I think about it, basically) and never anything that isn't a third party seller marking it up by $100 or $200.

The third party sellers are trash. Unbelievable how much they upcharge for it.

Heres a site that helped me gain my680 from Amazon, shipping on Monday.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx680/

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If those numbers for the GTX 670 are right, why does the GTX 680 even exist? Wasn't there going to be a GTX685? Seems like that should have been the 680.

If I were building a system this year, I'd probably go with 670 SLI or 7970 CF depending on how the prices drop. 670 SLI would be preferable because it seems really low power/heat compared to the others.

desu

Seems there are 670 GTX cards with a longer PCB too already: http://wccftech.com/gigabyte-gtx-67...utm_campaign=Feed:+Wccftechcom+(WCCFtech.com)

yxqqc-635x474qxx76.jpg

Man if the 670 is $400, it's going to really upset AMD's pricing.

Even if it's $450.

Although there's still the little matter everybody forgets, including me, under the new Nvidia boost paradigm. And that is, AMD will gain you more from overclocking (since their stock clocks are lower).

But anyways lets say the 670 is $450, that alone would probably have to push the 7970 to $450 at best, maybe less.

If the 7970 went to $400, 7950 to $350, that'd be sweet..

Top Bottom