• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

scogoth

I read through the whole thing, people tested it with the .25 drivers, it doesnt help. Later on the OP posts his clocks while the benchmark is running, and it shows it somewhere around 1350mhz. Another guy with a 670 also comes in and posts another bench with similar results also at around 1350mhz. Most 680s can only get to 1200mhz, thus the 670 is basically equal to the 680.

Nvidia isn't stupid, if anything they will artificially gimp the 670. Maybe the 670 batches are less leaky. Maybe the next batch of 680s will clock better......

Whatever it is I'm glad I havent bought anything yet.

Wait, so did Nvidia practically pull an AMD with their 670?

Remember the initial reference batches of the 6950 were unlockable to 6970 specs essentially saving people $100 then buying the 6970? Cause I sure benefited from that! lol

Hawk269

Sk3tch has quad sli with four 2gb gtx680's, right? What game would benefit from having four 4gb gtx 680's? Genuinely curious here :p

I imagine this is mostly a "do it because I can" situation.

Not many...but when you begin running at extreme resolutions, multi-monitor with insane amount of AA and other Image Enhancing options it begins to eat up V-Ram quickly and that is where it will be most beneficial.

Right now, according to him, 4-Way SLI is almost no difference than having 3 way, but you have to remember that drivers are very early right now and as drivers mature, SLI scaling will improve as time goes by. I know that was the case with the 480/580's as drivers improved so did SLI scaling.

n0n44m

Nvidia isn't stupid, if anything they will artificially gimp the 670. Maybe the 670 batches are less leaky. Maybe the next batch of 680s will clock better......

the 680 chips themselves overclock fine looking at the xtreme benchers results, but voltage control is disabled so unless you start soldering you'll won't get far no matter what cooling (unless you got lucky and bought some golden chip, but even then more voltage would help)

so far voltage control is disabled on both a software level and on a hardware level on the reference boards. The normal reference cards also have only 4 out of 5 phases on the PCB, the fifth spot is blank (cost savings due to GPU being more efficient than expected?) In order not to blow up these PCBs I guess they limited overvolting ability.

EVGA has been putting out cards (like the hydrocopper) with the fifth phase enabled, but with the same voltage restrictions still in place they don't clock any better than the regular cards do (hydrocoppers clock worse than some stock air cooled cards, despite paying a hefty premium for those ....)

So now the question is whether we finally get overvolting with the new batch of custom PCB cards that are coming up (Asus DC2, MSI Lightning, KFA HoF, etc) ... without a soldering iron ofcourse

if the 670 really clocks better, I guess their smaller\partially disabled chips have some more space within the currently limited voltage. Or they generate so much less heat they stay better within the power/thermal limits introduced with this new boost clock thing....

Will also be interesting to see if there is a difference between the small PCB 670s and the larger PCB ones (as they use some surplus 680 PCBs)

Razgreez

A standard Gigabyte GTX 680... 3 weeks ago... and now from what i can tell the 670 is as powerful yet runs cooler and uses less power. And i have this OC complex about avoiding buyer's remorse at all costs. There had better be a light at the end of this tunnel or i will likely sell my 680 and get a 670

n0n44m

oh man he just posted overclocked SLI 670 (Gigabyte custom PCB) results

ever so slightly over 20k GPU score ... most watercooled (!) reference 680 SLI I found on hardwarebot only scored 5% better (21k and a bit)

and that's with only 1 GPU over 1300 MHz as far as I can see, the other one is lagging behind a bit

so yeah either those custom 680 PCBs have to be really really REALLY nice or I see a 670 SLI in my future

cilonen

Sk3tch has quad sli with four 2gb gtx680's, right? What game would benefit from having four 4gb gtx 680's? Genuinely curious here :p

I imagine this is mostly a "do it because I can" situation.

Yeah, but he games at 5760x1080 @120Hz and expects 120FPS across those three monitors. It's not unusual for hardcore flight or racing sim folk to do similar; it's not entirely about the e-peen here there are completely justfiable needs for such a setup :)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I seen a 670 GTX MSI today at Fry's in-store. It was priced at $399.99, but they wouldn't let me buy it due to it not being the "Street-date" yet.
So apparently 670s are equal or faster than 680s because having one less cluster allows it to boost all the way to 1350mhz.
Wtf, http://www.overclock.net/t/1253432/gigabyte-gtx-670-oc-version-hands-on/160 I haven't gone through the entire thread yet (on page 17), but apparently the 670 is faster than the 680? This is fucked up.
Thank god i waited....i was this close...this close to caving and going for a GTX680, im playing at 2560x so my GTX570 is starting(only just) starting to show its age.

A GTX670 sounds absolutely amazing....heck ill probably go SLI.

Sethos

Banned
Damn, screw that 690 bullshit, the 670 is the real star of the show.

Feel bad about about my 680s now - Thank you for shitting on us, Nvidia.

cilonen

Damn, screw that 690 bullshit, the 670 is the real star of the show.

Feel bad about about my 680s now - Thank you for shitting on us, Nvidia.

Ordered a 690 on Saturday. I knew I was getting the shaft slightly but still signed up; now I know I they're not going to be using lube whilst they shaft me. Oh well - I still want a single card solution for reasons of heat and power, but I am damn sure paying a premium for it.

kinggroin

Banned
Thank god i waited....i was this close...this close to caving and going for a GTX680, im playing at 2560x so my GTX570 is starting(only just) starting to show its age.

A GTX670 sounds absolutely amazing....heck ill probably go SLI.

Waited? Ha!

You mean, thank god they were never in stock.

Gonna check out what all the fuss is with the 670s now. Eventually, the 6xx line will see healthy stock, and I'd like to get the most bang for my buck.

Sethos

Banned
The ugly side of jumping straight to the shiniest new thing. :p

Except, I've waited through the 7970, the 680 2GB, the 690 and got the 4GB 680. Give it a month or two and the 660 probably comes along that is so rock solid it'll crack 680 speeds. Then in a few months we'll see a 695 or a 7xx series that blows the competition out of the water. If you had to wait, you could wait forever - It's all about guessing when to pounce.

However, the 680 should have been able to clock higher, which is why Nvidia screwed us over a bit. If all the chips were able to clock reasonably it wouldn't be a problem. Still hoping my Palit 4GBs have a decent chip on them, so I can give them a boot full of mhz.

Pure price to performance ratio I don't give a toss about, I have money. However paying premium for exactly the same as someone paying less, that's a bit weak.

HOPEFULLY, a lot of this is based on review information, they tend to get sent top-bin chips that'll clock higher. We'll see when it really launches and we have the same saturation as the 680.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
At $399 USD I will buy BUCKETS and resale to GAF.
I read through the whole thing, people tested it with the .25 drivers, it doesnt help. Later on the OP posts his clocks while the benchmark is running, and it shows it somewhere around 1350mhz. Another guy with a 670 also comes in and posts another bench with similar results also at around 1350mhz. Most 680s can only get to 1200mhz, thus the 670 is basically equal to the 680.

Yeah I think they would gimp it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Also I have to get some sleep for important things happening on the 10th... if I fail to get a 670 I'd love for someone to send me a spare near cost.

Hopefully I'll be able to get one though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Any chance of a 4GB 670? Haha.
This is kind of ridiculous.
Probably, there were those 2.5GB GTX570 floating around, im sure 4GB GTX670 will pop up soonish

Waited? Ha!
Gonna check out what all the fuss is with the 670s now. Eventually, the 6xx line will see healthy stock, and I'd like to get the most bang for my buck.

No if i really wanted one i could have jumped on Palits 680 which is in stock.
But no i seriously waited.....and now im glad i did if i can find someone to get my Golden Sample for ~250 ill be in heaven, the GS does clock to 950 easy....and 1000 with a little volt modding.

A standard Gigabyte GTX 680... 3 weeks ago... and now from what i can tell the 670 is as powerful yet runs cooler and uses less power. And i have this OC complex about avoiding buyer's remorse at all costs. There had better be a light at the end of this tunnel or i will likely sell my 680 and get a 670

Snap. I dropped £400 on mine and now I'm like: fuuuuuuu.

Orlandu84

Waited? Ha!

That is my sentiment almost exactly. After weeks of not being able to order a Nvidia 680, I laugh at the irony of it all. I would have gladly purchased one before I heard about the 670's performance, but now I am going to wait and make sure that the 670 lives up to its hype. Since I will be building a rig for a friend this summer, I want to get him the best value and experience for his first true gaming rig (I build, he pays for it).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Except, I've waited through the 7970, the 680 2GB, the 690 and got the 4GB 680. Give it a month or two and the 660 probably comes along that is so rock solid it'll crack 680 speeds. Then in a few months we'll see a 695 or a 7xx series that blows the competition out of the water. If you had to wait, you could wait forever - It's all about guessing when to pounce.

Did you wait through them or simply skip them because they weren't an option (the 7970 due to AMD's wonky driver support and the 2GB 680/690 due to the relatively small amount of VRAM)? ;)

Sethos

Banned
Did you wait through them or simply skip them because they weren't an option (the 7970 due to AMD's wonky driver support and the 2GB 680/690 due to the relatively small amount of VRAM)? ;)

Waited through them. I'm an impatient man, was close to buying a 7970 but wanted to go dual cards this time around, AMD's Crossfire support is wonky as hell and their support is very much lacking. Still, they have great hardware and they made a lot of promises so I was close to pulling the trigger. Then the 680 came around and yet again, was close to pulling the trigger - Basically just a click away. But the few occasions where I've been Vram limited sprung to mind, then thought about all the image enhancing stuff I wanted to do, I need that extra Vram.

Then the 4GB models were announced and I knew I needed those in my life - By that time I also knew the 690 was coming through mah' sources. So I waited ... Waited ... Waited, no news. 4GB finally came in stock and I pulled the trigger.

So all the cards were an option but I just knew I'd regret it at some point. Don't really regret my purchase but those 670s are looking mighty fine, would also have to sit around waiting for higher Vram models so it's not too bad.

Point being, normally they pace each GPU to fit into a certain market slot. The 670 just seems to run right alongside the 680 at a lower cost, you do feel a bit screwed over by Nvidia. This isn't even about waiting, a lower card shouldn't do that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So all the cards were an option but I just knew I'd regret it at some point. Don't really regret my purchase but those 670s are looking mighty fine, would also have to sit around waiting for higher Vram models so it's not too bad.

Yeah. I mean, if the cards have proved useful since you've bought them, then it's not as though you've thrown money down the sink.

Point being, normally they pace each GPU to fit into a certain market slot. The 670 just seems to run right alongside the 680 at a lower cost, you do feel a bit screwed over by Nvidia. This isn't even about waiting, a lower card shouldn't do that.

I was actually expecting nvidia to release the 670 with less VRAM than the 680 so that, similar performance notwithstanding, the 680 would still be a more attractive purchase for those running higher resolutions -- much like they did with the 5xx series.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah. I mean, if the cards have proved useful since you've bought them, then it's not as though you've thrown money down the sink.

Well, except they are still right here besides me all boxed up - Remaining parts of my upcoming build are coming this week :p

But they can still be OC'd and have 4GB of Ram, I'm obviously happy with my purchase albeit a tad expensive. Just the nature of the situation.

However as I said, still want to see the blue collar man get a hold of a 670, could still be top-bin chips that tend to reach reviewers and first adopters.

Looks like I'll be using EVGA's 'Step-Up' program to snag one of these 670's when they come out. Should be a nice performance boost from my 560Ti 448 Ultra Classified! Will be sweet!

Chris R

The 670 board size is crazy. Can't wait for them to be released and reviewed.

Also, slim chance, but does any maker of nVidia cards ever release cards with a red PCB or cooler? Trying to go with a certain color theme with my new build and a red GPU would be perfect. If not I guess I'll just go with black and call it a day.

theRizzle

The 670 board size is crazy. Can't wait for them to be released and reviewed.

Also, slim chance, but does any maker of nVidia cards ever release cards with a red PCB or cooler? Trying to go with a certain color theme with my new build and a red GPU would be perfect. If not I guess I'll just go with black and call it a day.

The ASUS Direct CU line are dark with red "racing stripes" or whatever you want to call them, and I think the EVGA Classified cards has some red markings also.

iNvid02

If your getting a 690 in uk get it from aria, they are like £100+ cheaper than scan and most other places, just as reputable too

Top Bottom