• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

mkenyon

Banned
..........DARE I!?

Nah. Don't have the PSU for it.

Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living where these magical situations can occur?

So anybody offhand know the exact NDA time on 670 so I know when tonight/tomorrow to expect it?

By the way I had saw on B3D That that guy Gibbo from UK everybody quotes said they're getting 1k 670 for launch vs 200 680 for it's launch, so maybe availability wont be just horrible (though I think they'll fly off shelves).

theRizzle

So the MSI Twin Frozr 680 I found actually shipped, unlike the ASUS Direct CU 680 that I was charged for over two weeks ago. I had to pay a little more for the MSI, and I have never owned an MSI product before so I am a little nervous, but I would rather make sure that I get my video card in time for my build than end up having to wait for something that may never show up.

Also, planning to SLI once the cards become more available so having the dual slot MSI will make it a little easier than the tri-slot ASUS.

Shawn6661

So anybody offhand know the exact NDA time on 670 so I know when tonight/tomorrow to expect it?

By the way I had saw on B3D That that guy Gibbo from UK everybody quotes said they're getting 1k 670 for launch vs 200 680 for it's launch, so maybe availability wont be just horrible (though I think they'll fly off shelves).

I read somewhere its 2PM (London time).

theRizzle

Most guys who are running crazy setups like that don't keep them for years. They resell what they have once the new stuff comes out and take a small loss. If the PC is your only gaming platform, I don't think the cost would be that horrible if you actually analysed it.

sk3tch

Just get 4 people on here to help out a bro. :p

But really, are you maxing out your 2GB?

Ha...that'd be quite the undertaking. I couldn't ask people to outlay $650 each on it. Heh.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm truly "maxing" it out - but I've had to make significant concessions to achieve NV Surround (triple-monitor) 120hz fluidity. Namely running at 4800x900/120hz (FOV 90) with all maxed EXCEPT 2x MSAA and 8X AA. Looks awesome...but, ya know...heh.

Therefore, I'm good waiting until full availability. I really only play BF3 MP, anyway.

Most guys who are running crazy setups like that don't keep them for years. They resell what they have once the new stuff comes out and take a small loss. If the PC is your only gaming platform, I don't think the cost would be that horrible if you actually analysed it.

Exactly. I'd sell my current EVGA GTX 680s (with high-flow brackets) for $500 shipped each and end up only spending around $500 to get to 4GB. Not a huge outlay for that kind of upgrade, IMO.

mkenyon

Banned
Guys in this thread are made of money.
Hobbies are hobbies. Board and feed for two horses is a lot more than a GTX 690. You can go through like $200 in ammo in an afternoon at the range no problem.

Spending ~$4000 on computer parts yearly, while extravagant, gives me hundreds of hours of fun time. Plus an actual thing that I own that holds value comes of it, rather than an experience.
I actually just end up giving most of my stuff to friends and teammates. Sold a computer just recently, but that was to add extra emergency cash.

mkenyon

Banned
Sketch, good thing you're holding out.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1586778

classified.jpg

Chris R

Wondering what the difference in performance (if any) there will be between the short board 670s and the full length 670s.

I'd love to see a short PCB 670 with a short cooler as well instead of what has been floating around the web.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wondering what the difference in performance (if any) there will be between the short board 670s and the full length 670s.

I'd love to see a short PCB 670 with a short cooler as well instead of what has been floating around the web.
Longer PCB = more in tune with 680 boards + 8 pin power + possibly more VRMs = good for OC :)

Also... if it's 9am PST release... I don't think I'll be able to nab one.

Hawk269

..........DARE I!?

Nah. Don't have the PSU for it.

Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living where these magical situations can occur?

Lol...No there was a technical issue when I was trying to order 2 GPU's off of a website. It said I had reached my limit yet I had not bought any of that brand. Sent them an email about the issue and they discovered a technical "glitch" in the system that caused this problem, so due to this I was not able to order what I wanted and lost out.

A few days later, I got a call from them apologizing for the issue and that they secured 2 of the previous cards I wanted...at that time I told them I was no longer interested in those but wanted a 690. They said they would see what they can do and now I am being offered to buy a 690 but I don't need it anymore. I figure if someone here want's it I could buy and re-sell it to them at face value..basically not looking to make any money at all on this, just want to help someone out that has been striking out on getting a 690.

Hawk269

Guys in this thread are made of money.

Not made of money, but I work hard and have been for a long time and I dont drink, do drugs, smoke or have another hobby other than gaming/building rigs so my "play" money goes to this hobby. I will buy stuff that makes some of the more technical savvy folks here cringe like having a killer rig but only gaming at 1080p...it drives some people nuts that I do this, but it is fun!!! lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
6am* PST launch?
:'[

**Also looks like there should be ample stock of the 670, looks like units delivered day 1 are much much more sizable compared to 680 shipments.

TheCrow

Wow seriously? How much were they? And are all the 670s reference cards or do they have custom coolers?
Report of ample stock of the gtx 670 refers to this post. They have 1000+ 670s compared to only 200 680s at launch. Also it looks like there will be non-reference cards available today. Me and haz, in our failed attempt to get a 670 earlier tonight, were targeting a MSI Twin Frozr or ASUS DirectCU II Top.

Dang. I wanted to get the EVGA Sig+ with the back plate but it isn't full length.

Any idea what clocks on the 670 are comparable to a stock 680?

demigod

Report of ample stock of the gtx 670 refers to this post. They have 1000+ 670s compared to only 200 680s at launch. Also it looks like there will be non-reference cards available today. Me and haz, in our failed attempt to get a 670 earlier tonight, were targeting a MSI Twin Frozr or ASUS DirectCU II Top.

I don't see MSI Twin Frozr in that list. Frys.com has the MSI OC up though.

How good are EVGA backplates? Damn I hate reference fans! They are loud as shit, I wonder if the 670 is more quiet than the 680. Does EVGA.com charge tax?

Igo

What UK retailers will be carrying the 670 and how long am I going to have to wait until they're available?

I don't see MSI Twin Frozr in that list. Frys.com has the MSI OC up though.
Are the Twin Frozr cards always released alongside their other cards at launch?

abunai

What UK retailers will be carrying the 670 and how long am I going to have to wait until they're available?

Dunno for sure, overclockers.co.uk have 1000+ units in stock which will be released at 2pm BST apparently. I'd imagine the big ones like scan and aria to have them too, but I haven't seen any evidence.

Not sure about twin frozrs

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

OcUK will have the 670's up at 2pm BST.

I'm waiting eagerly for them.

Top Bottom