• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

big_z

I don't see MSI Twin Frozr in that list. Frys.com has the MSI OC up though.

How good are EVGA backplates? Damn I hate reference fans! They are loud as shit, I wonder if the 670 is more quiet than the 680. Does EVGA.com charge tax?

unless something has changed since the 500 series the msi and asus fans are louder than reference EE coolers during regular desktop use. if you're one of those crazy people that run the fans at 100% all the time then yeah the reference design sucks for noise.

when do the fans speed up on the 680s? im still using a refurb 260 and the fan doesnt start to speed up until temps hit 80C-85C. with a lot of games the fan doesnt make much more noise than a 360slim unless it's a really hot day.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
$400 eVGA becomes $440 after tax and shipping.

Come on Amazonnnnn.

NCIS had the GB 680 board up, but it's gone already.

demigod

unless something has changed since the 500 series the msi and asus fans are louder than reference EE coolers during regular desktop use. if you're one of those crazy people that run the fans at 100% all the time then yeah the reference design sucks for noise.

when do the fans speed up on the 680s? im still using a refurb 260 and the fan doesnt start to speed up until temps hit 80C-85C. with a lot of games the fan doesnt make much more noise than a 360slim unless it's a really hot day.

Nope, the 580 MSI extreme lightning I had was super quiet compared to the reference Zotac.

Orlandu84

I just ordered the stock 670 off of evga.com for $404.98! After waiting for weeks for the 680 to appear, I am somehow able to order the 670 the day it is released! Neogaf, I have you to thank for this. You all rock!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Screw this, I don't really need one, even if it is a decent higher end value proposition.

Gains over a 570 not really that great.
Is there any advantages to buying the evga Superclocked version instead of the regular one and overclocking it yourself ?
Both are -KR so I don't think there are any advantages.

big_z

Is there any advantages to buying the evga Superclocked version instead of the regular one and overclocking it yourself ?

superclocked are tested before hand while not all regular cards will overclock well so there's always the chance you get a dud.

Metal-Geo

I'm seeing prices over 400 euro here in the NL for the 670.

I hope that's not right, bit close to a 680.
Bit close? All the 680s I'm finding in the Netherlands are 500 euros. (Informatique, Alternate, etc) The 670 delivers an incredible performance for 100 euros less. :O

I'm thinking either two 670s, or a 690. But I'm also kind of curious if we'll see 4GB 670s here for a decent price.
HNNNNG

kagete

After seeing the power/heat/OC numbers it looks like this is really the best all-around card to buy if you have the money for it. Alas I know i'm only going to be playing diablo 3 on 1080p/60hz so there's really no reason for me to upgrade. Maybe if a twin frozr or similar version comes out that puts out even less heat/noise than the current first batch...

Rootbeer

Banned
Really tempted to snatch a 670 if i see one on amazon today... have the money, but not sure the performance over my 570 SC will really be justified since I don't play games such as BF3 (mostly rpgs, some emulators)

my impulses are weak though :p

I know everybody here hates AMD but I also think there could be some good deals depending on where pricing ends up in a few days/weeks. Say if you can get a 7950 for close to $300 or something, or a 7970 for $350 (doubt this)

$400 still a little too rich for my blood. Getting closer though. The fact EVGA hasn't sold out and overclockers UK huge stock bodes well for availability.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Really tempted to snatch a 670 if i see one on amazon today... have the money, but not sure the performance over my 570 SC will really be justified since I don't play games such as BF3 (mostly rpgs, some emulators)

my impulses are weak though :p

I've upgraded to a 670 from a 570, not really sure it was needed tbh but my old gpu was out of warranty so thought I might as well off load it, tbh the 570 ran everything fine for me, it's a very good card.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TigerDirect sorta has the Gigabyte 670 in stock, $410.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2585856&CatId=3669

It's this and the ASUS, but I'm not going to buy from TD, so I want on Amazon.
I know everybody here hates AMD but I also think there could be some good deals depending on where pricing ends up in a few days/weeks. Say if you can get a 7950 for close to $300 or something, or a 7970 for $350 (doubt this)

$400 still a little too rich for my blood. Getting closer though. The fact EVGA hasn't sold out and overclockers UK huge stock bodes well for availability.
7950 is the only one worth considering imo after you unlock the clock limits.

IronRinn

TigerDirect seems to have a bunch up, including the 4gb EVGA. Really considering that one. I play at 1920 x 1080, that extra 2gb going to do me any good?

Credo

Thanks.

Really tempted, but at $410 or $420 the ASUS or GB with a large custom cooler, backplate, and larger PCB is a no brainer IMO.

I'm really tempted to grab it right now, but it's because the power company is right outside working on new lines and may cut the power at any moment. And I don't know how long it'll be before a new supply is available if I don't get one today.

Credo

TigerDirect seems to have a bunch up, including the 4gb EVGA. Really considering that one. I play at 1920 x 1080, that extra 2gb going to do me any good?

Yeah, I need to know this too since that's how I play. I was set on a 4gb, but I'll gladly pay less if the extra memory won't do me any good.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Stock should technically be ok for at least a while. It seemed like 680 stock was limit in the very low hundreds and trickles in. 670 launch stock should be in the thousands per major retailer.
I'm really tempted to grab it right now, but it's because the power company is right outside working on new lines and may cut the power at any moment. And I don't know how long it'll be before a new supply is available if I don't get one today.
Hope you have your mobile checkout setup then.
Yeah, I need to know this too since that's how I play. I was set on a 4gb, but I'll gladly pay less if the extra memory won't do me any good.
Pretty much only if you play Metro or BF3 with stupid high settings and AA above 1080p

depends how long you will keep it. if like me you buy cards to keep a long while, maybe (and even then, it's a debatable issue imo). if like most of these people you change cards often, i wouldn't worry about it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Looks like the 670 is the sweet spot.

But they're still £75 overpriced. Let the waiting commence.
Price/Performance is in line with the 570 which is pretty impressive. Well, in USD anyway.

It's certainly the best value higher end card, although I guess you could debate a stock 7950 with unlocked voltage/clockspeed.

The 660/660Ti should be the one to really shake things up. Probably have a lot of stock backup by Summer release.

The 660/660Ti should be the one to really shake things up. Probably have a lot of stock backup by Summer release.

Isn't the 660/660Ti actually going to be a different, non-Kepler chip though? I cant believe Nvidia's entire range would be GK104's.

And if it's a smaller chip, I'm not expecting paradigm shifting performance, though it certainly may be better than current choices.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Isn't the 660/660Ti actually going to be a different, non-Kepler chip though? I cant believe Nvidia's entire range would be GK104's.

And if it's a smaller chip, I'm not expecting paradigm shifting performance, though it certainly may be better than current choices.
Remember GK104 was meant to be 660/670. GK110 was 680 spec.

We will see.

Price/Performance is in line with the 570 which is pretty impressive. Well, in USD anyway.

It's certainly the best value higher end card, although I guess you could debate a stock 7950 with unlocked voltage/clockspeed.

I bought a HD5850 with a custom heatsink 2 years ago for £259. At the time the 5850 was the little brother to the 5870, they were and still are fantastic cards.

I don't intend to ever spend more than that on a card, and personally I feel the price of the higher cards is a lot higher than it should be. The performance of a £250ish card isn't a big enough gap from the 5850 to consider it right now. The 680 isn't even a high end card really, Nvidia is just holding back their top tier because Kepler is so far ahead of AMD.

Of course if you do a straight exchange rate conversion the 670 would be £250, instead of £365.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've read the SC versions only offer a few FPS above the normal editions for the 6XX series. But the price diff between regular and SC is also really small, so it might be worth it for some people.

Quadratic

I sniped the windforce GTX670 from NCIX. I hope the non reference fan is cooler and is quieter than the standard one. It's also nice this model is factory OC'd. All ready for Diablo III next week!

Sanjay

Is there any benchmarks that show off the GTX 680/670/580 being tested on The Witcher 2 with ubersampling on? I keep finding benchmarks that have it off.

Top Bottom