• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

cilonen

But there's anyone who buy it already? I mean, the card was alreay shipped to someone?

Last week scan had them listed as being available and in stock for delivery on the 4th (last Friday) but they only had one manufacturer, listed as nvidia itself. I didn't think nvidia made their own parts for retail to consumers but maybe they did for the initial run of these. Anyway, they were all gone by Saturday morning, replaced with the parts from the manufacturers noted above.

In the US mkenyon snagged an EVGA one last week, not sure if he has taken delivery of it yet though.

Edit:

If your getting a 690 in uk get it from aria, they are like £100+ cheaper than scan and most other places, just as reputable too

I hear you, but I really wanted to go with EVGA for a purchase of this magnitude! (the aria one was their own brand iirc)

mkenyon

Banned
Mine arrives tomorrow. Between the 670 news and slight buyer's remorse, I put it up on ebay/CL to see if I get any bites. $500 dollars for waking up 30 mins early sounds good to me.

If it doesn't sell, then I won't be broken up over it. The rest of my parts aren't coming in till Thursday anyway, and I'm not too keen on running it in my current system. The cooling situation is not optimal at all.

theRizzle

So I have now paid for two 680's and have nothing to show for it yet.

Ordered an ASUS Direct CU from NCIX last week or the week before and they are still back-ordered. I just found a MSI Twin Frozr on Canada Computers and they processed my order, and it now says Back Ordered instead of In Stock so I am hoping I was the lucky one.

This "launch" is starting to get annoying.

iNvid02

Last week scan had them listed as being available and in stock for delivery on the 4th (last Friday) but they only had one manufacturer, listed as nvidia itself. I didn't think nvidia made their own parts for retail to consumers but maybe they did for the initial run of these. Anyway, they were all gone by Saturday morning, replaced with the parts from the manufacturers noted above.

In the US mkenyon snagged an EVGA one last week, not sure if he has taken delivery of it yet though.

Edit:

I hear you, but I really wanted to go with EVGA for a purchase of this magnitude! (the aria one was their own brand iirc)

the warranty is still 3 years so i guess they cover it instead of the manufacturer, what if they suddenly go under, i can see why paying the extra and getting it from someone like evga is better.

but im not even getting one lol

cilonen

Mine arrives tomorrow. Between the 670 news and slight buyer's remorse, I put it up on ebay/CL to see if I get any bites. $500 dollars for waking up 30 mins early sounds good to me.

If it doesn't sell, then I won't be broken up over it. The rest of my parts aren't coming in till Thursday anyway, and I'm not too keen on running it in my current system. The cooling situation is not optimal at all.

Are you going to watercool it?

Soooo, when is the 670 dropping ?

I just ordered my new parts and to my surprise I finally saw a GTX 680 in stock at newegg (it was an ASUS), was this '' close to pulling the trigger, if I hadn't read this thread today, I would've probably did (it was gone 10min later so they're still flying out).

TheExodu5

Banned
That Asus DirectCu II GTX 680 is looking like a beast. Nearly 11K in 3DMark11. Shame it probably wouldn't do so well in my PC-V700.

mkenyon

Banned
That Asus DirectCu II GTX 680 is looking like a beast. Nearly 11K in 3DMark11. Shame it probably wouldn't do so well in my PC-V700.
If you aren't using the rear exhaust, I'd switch that to intake. Front + rear intake, top exhaust. Should do fine. On a separate note, where the heck is the V750?

theRizzle

That is why I am starting to get really frustrated waiting for NCIX to get them in stock since I ordered it two weeks ago. I have my PC built and ready to go, and I can't even use it because I have no GPU, and my mobo doesn't even have video out so I can use the IGP. Awesome.

I will probably just use the Twin Frozr OC I ordered today until I get that Direct CU, then sell the Twin Frozr.

muu

If it hasn't arrived yet why not just refuse shipment, assuming you purchased from somewhere like Amazon/Newegg that supports such return policies?

mkenyon

Banned
Because if I return it, I won't make $500 off of it. They're going from $1450-1600 over the past two days. I paid $999.

dLMN8R

So, much earlier in this thread I talked about how I attempted an upgrade from a 6850 to a GTX 680 to see how bottlenecked I was. I discovered back then that it was, so I decided to wait a month for Ivy Bridge. Now my 3570K showed up, and I've benchmarked again.

So here are all the benchmarks I've taken over the last month or so on the following:
  • Q9550 @ stock 2.83GHz, ATI 6850 at stock
  • Q9550 @ stock 2.83GHz, GTX 680
  • Q9550 overclocked to 3.4GHz, GTX 680
  • Core i5 3570K (dynamic overclocking to 4.2GHz-ish automatically), GTX 680
Every game was maxed out with all options available in-game. Some games like Tribes I didn't bother messing with enabling AA outside of the game. Battlefield 3 had full 4x MSAA, Hard Reset had full 4xFSAA, and Metro 2033 was maxed out, but without PhysX running.
  • Serious Sam 3 - Played through beginning segment of "Under the Iron Cloud", for a couple minutes.
  • Battlefield 3 - Joined a 64-player Conquest game, started from the busiest spawn point, and played for a few minutes
  • Tribes Ascend - Joined any full game, played for a few minutes
  • Metro 2033 - Official benchmarking tool
  • Hard Reset - Started from very beginning of game, played until the first hard enemy that bursts through the building
  • Starcraft II - Found a pro replay online - let that run for 10 minutes with the camera automatically following the winner
  • Dawn of War II: Retribution - Official benchmarking tool.
The most notable things:
  • Tribes Ascend is tremendously CPU-bottlenecked
  • Metro 2033 4x MSAA *KILLS* performance. Depth of Field is even worse!

One other note - the comparison across CPUs/GPUs for Metro 2033 was taken before I realized that the game had its own official benchmark. I know, stupid me. So I re-took a bunch of benchmarks just on Ivy Bridge + GTX 680 so you can see how different effects affect frame rate:

kB0kD.png

Chris R

So, much earlier in this thread I talked about how I attempted an upgrade from a 6850 to a GTX 680 to see how bottlenecked I was. I discovered back then that it was, so I decided to wait a month for Ivy Bridge. Now my 3570K showed up, and I've benchmarked again.

So here are all the benchmarks I've taken over the last month or so on the following:
  • Q9550 @ stock 2.83GHz, ATI 6850 at stock
  • Q9550 @ stock 2.83GHz, GTX 680
  • Q9550 overclocked to 3.4GHz, GTX 680
  • Core i5 3570K (dynamic overclocking to 4.2GHz-ish automatically), GTX 680
Every game was maxed out with all options available in-game. Some games like Tribes I didn't bother messing with enabling AA outside of the game. Battlefield 3 had full 4x MSAA, Hard Reset had full 4xFSAA, and Metro 2033 was maxed out, but without PhysX running.
  • Serious Sam 3 - Played through beginning segment of "Under the Iron Cloud", for a couple minutes.
  • Battlefield 3 - Joined a 64-player Conquest game, started from the busiest spawn point, and played for a few minutes
  • Tribes Ascend - Joined any full game, played for a few minutes
  • Metro 2033 - Official benchmarking tool
  • Hard Reset - Started from very beginning of game, played until the first hard enemy that bursts through the building
  • Starcraft II - Found a pro replay online - let that run for 10 minutes with the camera automatically following the winner
  • Dawn of War II: Retribution - Official benchmarking tool.
The most notable things:
  • Tribes Ascend is tremendously CPU-bottlenecked
  • Metro 2033 4x MSAA *KILLS* performance. Depth of Field is even worse!

One other note - the comparison across CPUs/GPUs for Metro 2033 was taken before I realized that the game had its own official benchmark. I know, stupid me. So I re-took a bunch of benchmarks just on Ivy Bridge + GTX 680 so you can see how different effects affect frame rate:

kB0kD.png

Sweet benchmarks. I'm jumping from a Q9550 as well (although my GPU is a 4870 and I'm only going to a 670).

dLMN8R

Oh, also, outside of performance, Adaptive VSync is the most amazing thing ever. Does it work on older NVIDIA cards or is it exclusive to Kepler?

Oh, also, outside of performance, Adaptive VSync is the most amazing thing ever. Does it work on older NVIDIA cards or is it exclusive to Kepler?
It does work on older cards. NVidia released the 300 series drivers that include it after it had been available on the 680s for a week or two. Works great on my GTX570.

mkenyon

Banned
First buyer's remorse, now seller's remorse with the 690.

What say you GAF? Get $500 for free, or rock a 690 and bask in the awesomeness?

Ultrabum

So I was lucky enough to buy a GTX680 EVGA superclocked with the back plate installed.

Its pretty awesome, runs The Witcher 2 maxed out!

But I have 1 question, the back plate has a sticker on it with a bar code/serial number. Should I remove it, that probably voids the warranty or something right? Its not gonna like melt and ruin the card or anything right?

scogoth

So I was lucky enough to buy a GTX680 EVGA superclocked with the back plate installed.

Its pretty awesome, runs The Witcher 2 maxed out!

But I have 1 question, the back plate has a sticker on it with a bar code/serial number. Should I remove it, that probably voids the warranty or something right? Its not gonna like melt and ruin the card or anything right?

It won't melt or anything. Make sure your register it first before taking it off.

Riggs

Banned
So my buddy is asking me if he should get a 690 or a 680. I am telling him 680 since he runs 1 monitor at 1920X1080.

But I've seen people in here saying the 670 is almost as good as a 680? Any more news on this? Not sure what to tell him so far.

scogoth

So my buddy is asking me if he should get a 690 or a 680. I am telling him 680 since he runs 1 monitor at 1920X1080.

But I've seen people in here saying the 670 is almost as good as a 680? Any more news on this? Not sure what to tell him so far.

670 is being announced on Thursday. Wait till then.

mkenyon

Banned
They are going to announce it or start selling it? I don't understand how nVidia do this stuff...
They generally only do hard launches. 690 was the first time in ages where they didn't.

Speaking of the 690, what could be in this innocent brown box?

Rbbvhl.jpg

Oh, why hello there. (yeah, cellphone flash. waiting to install it before I give it the good photo treatment)

QoTCSl.jpg

It's huge! Bigger than my 7970 even.

dx2yVl.jpg

ShYaWl.jpg

The last of the parts don't arrive until Friday. System is:
Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2
3820 i7
4x4GB Corsair 1.35v Vengeance Low Profile (white)
Corsair AX850 w/ white braided cables
Crucial M4 128GB
Going in a 600T for now until the PC-V750 releases. Once that releases, modding it and powder coating the internals white to fit:
Alphacool Single Bay Repack w/ 2xDC-LT pumps (arrived, sweet piece of kit)
Alphacool XT45 240mm radiator (front)
Alphacool XT45 360mm radiator (top)
EK's eventual 690 block
EK Supreme Rev 3 Plexi or XSPC Raystorm (still haven't decided)
Mayhem's Mint Green Concentrate

If the V750 takes more than a month to come out, I'll probably get antsy and mod the 600T for a 360mm up top and a 200mm in the front. Hoping I can stay strong.

scogoth

They generally only do hard launches. 690 was the first time in ages where they didn't.

Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2
3820 i7
Crucial M4 128GB
Going in a 600T for now until the PC-V750 releases. Once that releases, modding it and powder coating the internals white to fit:
EK's eventual 690 block

If the V750 takes more than a month to come out, I'll probably get antsy and mod the 600T for a 360mm up top and a 200mm in the front. Hoping I can stay strong.

Ewwwww gigabyte

Riggs

Banned

Rbbvhl.jpg

Oh, why hello there. (yeah, cellphone flash. waiting to install it before I give it the good photo treatment)

QoTCSl.jpg

It's huge! Bigger than my 7970 even.

dx2yVl.jpg

ShYaWl.jpg

Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2
3820 i7
Crucial M4 128GB
EK's eventual 690 block

Happy for you man, congrats!!!

scogoth

Seems like it's one of the boards they did right. This is what convinced me. Everything about this board screams "remove the fluff, give them overclocking and some cool gaming kit", which is pretty much me.

That may be so but don't like gigabytes products. We've had a long and rocky relationship and I cant keep forgiving. I'll be interested to see how that green works with the white though.

Also im glad you landed in SB-E, IB is just a huge disappointment for ocing. I've decided to hold out till IB-E

mkenyon

Banned
Needed to go for a hyperthreaded proc for rendering, since I've been doing a *lot* more of that lately. Figured the RAM at quad channel wouldn't hurt either. Compared to a 2700K and high end Z77, it's really a pittance more.

Does anyone know if evga.com accepts international/non US credit cards ?

I already have a US shipping address so I'm covered there, but I was wondering if they also require the CC to be US as well like newegg.com, making it virtually impossible to buy from them if you're not in the states.

sk3tch

Probably gonna sit out the 4GB cards for a while. Unfortunately, EVGA.com just lowered the purchase limit from 4 to 1 (because of eBay poachers). So it would be a ridiculous amount of effort to snag 4 cards in a reasonable amount of time. Hopefully by mid-June things will be cooled off so I can snipe from 4GB FTW cards (especially since peeps may be preferring the Classified).

mkenyon

Banned
Probably gonna sit out the 4GB cards for a while. Unfortunately, EVGA.com just lowered the purchase limit from 4 to 1 (because of eBay poachers). So it would be a ridiculous amount of effort to snag 4 cards in a reasonable amount of time. Hopefully by mid-June things will be cooled off so I can snipe from 4GB FTW cards (especially since peeps may be preferring the Classified).
Just get 4 people on here to help out a bro. :p

But really, are you maxing out your 2GB?

mkenyon

Banned
Quoting myself because you all make me jealous with your 680. :p
It's not a hard and fast thing when you're talking about bottlenecks, and is also entirely game dependent. Basically, if it's unreal engine, starcraft, civ v, or another game that is very CPU dependent, then yes. Otherwise, no (but still yes, as in, it wont be as high, but really close).

Hawk269

Does anyone need a 690 by chance? I had an issue with a vendor and now they want to make things right and they are offering me a 690 if I want it. I already secured the one's I need, but I know others are looking for it.

Top Bottom