• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

mkenyon

Banned
I have to wonder if nVidia isn't doing some of this on purpose. Tight supply and high demand = inflated prices, even more so when you think of what this card was originally going to be :|

Here is hoping that the 10th does bring the 670 though.
They're not, they have tons of problems getting the correct yields out. When prices inflate they don't reap the benefits of it, it's the retailers that do.
Should I wait for the EVGA 4gb card or scoop one of these up when I can?
Depends on your resolution and how much you like to stack on the AA. 1080p, 2GB is plenty.
Ohh, two GTX 690's would be cool. A lot of microstutter though.
Actually, the more cards you add, the less microstutter you get. Seems to go away with 120hz too, which is odd.

scogoth

I have to wonder if nVidia isn't doing some of this on purpose. Tight supply and high demand = inflated prices, even more so when you think of what this card was originally going to be :|

Trust me, nvidia would sell every card they could if they could make them. They are not in a position to do pull shit like that given their current financial issues

mkenyon

Banned
The issue is more that AMD finally decided to try and play NVIDIA's pricing game since they've gained a lot of cred with the 5xxx and 6xxx series. When time came for the 7970, they priced it to compete with the 580, rather than release it at a drastically lower price than the 'high end' card as they have in the past. NVIDIA took this opportunity and just keep their 580 pricing tier for the card that was intended to be the 660/670Ti.

Fixed1979

I'm pretty sure it's still the MFG process that is causing delays. I'm sure nVidia would love to be able to fill more orders for these.

Hawk269

EK blocks man. Cheaper, less restriction, and prettier. Plus then you have an air cooler to put back on it if you were to ever sell it or put it in a different rig.

EVGA actually called me yesterday to congratulate me on being one of the 'limited few' to get one, and to confirm my address as well as notify me it was going out. I feel like a king.

lol...I deal with Evga all the time...don't think you are that special...they call every customer that orders more than $500.00 as a verification of the purchase...so while I know you feel special...it was not a call to stroke your ego...lmao.

Kidding aside, please come back and let us know how the card performs. Looking forward to hearing about the card from a real users versus review sites.

mkenyon

Banned
lol...I deal with Evga all the time...don't think you are that special...they call every customer that orders more than $500.00 as a verification of the purchase...so while I know you feel special...it was not a call to stroke your ego...lmao.

Kidding aside, please come back and let us know how the card performs. Looking forward to hearing about the card from a real users versus review sites.
Well, he did say specifically 'congratulations on being one of the limited few to get the 690', so there was some ego stroking. Let me have my moment, Negative Nancy. Aside from the 7970, I've never done the high end card thing on launch before, it's exciting for me.

As far as using the card, I might not be able to hold back and will end up putting it in my air system. But, I'd really like to hold out for my new build on 2011 with water.

Riggs

Banned
Well, he did say specifically 'congratulations on being one of the limited few to get the 690', so there was some ego stroking. Let me have my moment, Negative Nancy. Aside from the 7970, I've never done the high end card thing on launch before, it's exciting for me.

As far as using the card, I might not be able to hold back and will end up putting it in my air system. But, I'd really like to hold out for my new build on 2011 with water.

You are special. Don't listen to the haters. 3 cheers for mkenyon!!!!

Also I am super jealous.

J-Rzez

It's just such a tempting thing to wait for. I kinda want it so I won't have to get some newer card for a while.

Yeah heh. The thing that's also good for me is no games out there are punishing my current card enough to make the jump. Even GW2 is more CPU bound it seems. If there were a killer highend visual game coming out in a week or two, I would have bought a 680 already. :)

Arken2121

Damn straight you're special. I hope it worked out well and congratulations!

and yes, 3 cheers for Mkenyon!

So is a $250 Nvidia card even on the radar?

I'm kinda waiting for that one. But if Charlie is right that Nvidia just cant make many GK104's....it's not good.

I'm guessing June or something, yuck.

I guess even the $400 one has potential to push the 7950 lower, which is already an amazing deal and would get better. It's possible it might not though, AMD has held pretty tough with 7970 pricing only going $20 lower than 680.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So is a $250 Nvidia card even on the radar?

I'm kinda waiting for that one. But if Charlie is right that Nvidia just cant make many GK104's....it's not good.

I'm guessing June or something, yuck.

I guess even the $400 one has potential to push the 7950 lower, which is already an amazing deal and would get better. It's possible it might not though, AMD has held pretty tough with 7970 pricing only going $20 lower than 680.
660 Summer

Mystery

EK blocks man. Cheaper, less restriction, and prettier. Plus then you have an air cooler to put back on it if you were to ever sell it or put it in a different rig.

EVGA actually called me yesterday to congratulate me on being one of the 'limited few' to get one, and to confirm my address as well as notify me it was going out. I feel like a king.

Congrats on the 690!

However, I personally think the Hydro Coppers look better than the EK blocks for both the 5 and 600 series. I haven't used EK GPU blocks (just on my chipset), so I can't speak for flow restriction. However, I didn't have many problems at all with flow on my 480 Hydro Coppers, nor with my 680 Hydro Coppers -- and I have 2 sets of Quick Disconnects in my GPU loop.

Smokey

So the 690 is...

+cooler
+quieter
+uses less power
+takes up one slot
+runs to 98% of gtx 680 sli in benchmarks

than 680 sli

so...why would one buy 2 680s over this again?

-SD-

Banned
So the 690 is...

+cooler
+quieter
+uses less power
+takes up one slot

than 680 sli

Is there a big price difference between 2x GTX 680 and a GTX 690?

Is there a big price difference between 2x GTX 680 and a GTX 690?

the 680's are $499, aren't they?

and the 690 is $999. What's the big price difference? Are there some good rebates on the 680 or something already? I haven't seen any, and even if there was a $10 or $20 rebate, I'd absorb that $30-$50 loss in exchange for greater efficiency and less slots consumed. Were I in the market for $1000 worth of GPU parts.

Sethos

Banned
So the 690 is...

+cooler
+quieter
+uses less power
+takes up one slot

than 680 sli

Because you'd buy a 680 with a proper cooler which means it runs cooler than the 690, even quieter at higher fan speeds ( Sounds more like the current Nvidia PR estimates are based on fairly low RPM, as with any reference ). Also we have no real estimate on how it overclocks compared to a single 8+8 pins with its own cooler.

Everything is just marketing bullshit so far, they even removed one of the dubious slides.

mkenyon

Banned
Because you'd buy a 680 with a proper cooler which means it runs cooler than the 690, even quieter at higher fan speeds ( Sounds more like the current Nvidia PR estimates are based on fairly low RPM, as with any reference ). Also we have no real estimate on how it overclocks compared to a single 8+8 pins with its own cooler.

Everything is just marketing bullshit so far, they even removed one of the dubious slides.
You start adding non-reference 680s to a case and you better have some really nice case fans to get that out of there.

I'll push it to the limit with the stock cooler, we'll see where it lands vs. 680 SLI.

Sethos

Banned
You start adding non-reference 680s to a case and you better have some really nice case fans to get that out of there.

I'll push it to the limit with the stock cooler, we'll see where it lands vs. 680 SLI.

Sure, but then we're entering the idiotic variable of people not having a case with proper airflow with such a high-end setup, something they should have. Then again they're certainly out there.

But I'm really looking forward to your results and proper benchmarks :)

n0n44m

I'm pretty sure the 690 overclocks very well with proper cooling, because pins or phases don't mean anything for the GK104 chip as long as Nvidia keeps the voltage hardware/software locked

efficiency/quality of the individual chips and low temperatures are the only things that matter, and the 690 chips are supposed to be cherry picked right ...

I sold my PS3, will probably sell the GTX480 while it's still worth something ... but my only options are a €500 680 and a €1000 690 :(

I'm not really sold on the 680 (everything about it except for performance and the price screams "mid-range model" to me...) but the price of the 690 is just too much. I'm doing a lot of mental gymnastics to convince myself I can afford one though :)

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not really sold on the 680 (everything about it except for performance and the price screams "mid-range model" to me...) but the price of the 690 is just too much. I'm doing a lot of mental gymnastics to convince myself I can afford one though :)
I was in the *EXACT* same boat.

Could always go dual 7950 or 7970. Crossfire performance on them really is spectacular now.

Hawk269

So the 690 is...

+cooler
+quieter
+uses less power
+takes up one slot

than 680 sli

Uh oh Smokey...your going to do it arent you? Just imagine then getting another 690 and going quad SLI???

So far all the reviews have been very positive and pretty much overclocking is pretty good as well.

Hawk269

I'm pretty sure the 690 overclocks very well with proper cooling, because pins or phases don't mean anything for the GK104 chip as long as Nvidia keeps the voltage hardware/software locked

efficiency/quality of the individual chips and low temperatures are the only things that matter, and the 690 chips are supposed to be cherry picked right ...

I sold my PS3, will probably sell the GTX480 while it's still worth something ... but my only options are a €500 680 and a €1000 690 :(

Well, if you have thoughts of going SLI 680's then a 690 would be a good way to go. It all depends on your setup and what you want. Some are getting a 680 now and a year from now a second one which would give them a big boost in performance and by then it will be alot cheaper.

Other's prefer one card and the 690 due ot the way it was made is withing 2-4% of performance of 680's in SLI *at stock speed*. A gentle OC on the 690 will get you the same exact performance of 2 stock 680's.

Sethos

Banned
Overall it's all a question of margins, so you'll get the best of the best going either route. However, it'll probably be a right bitch to dust up some 690s unless Nvidia partners and Nvidia decided to route a lot of the chip production towards this card, hence why we see such a poor stock or 680s? Who knows.

Hawk269

Overall it's all a question of margins, so you'll get the best of the best going either route. However, it'll probably be a right bitch to dust up some 690s unless Nvidia partners and Nvidia decided to route a lot of the chip production towards this card, hence why we see such a poor stock or 680s? Who knows.

Well, I wonder what the impact has been overall though. The 690 GPU's are specially binned for the 690...so that means Nvidia is cherry picking GPU's for the 690 and any that dont cut it go towards the 680's. I am sure that it comes into some play...delayed production due to them looking for golden GPU's for the 690.

n0n44m

SLI on my PCI-e 2.0 setup seems like a waste ... the 690 seems to handle 2.0 pretty well though

then there is the micro-stuttering, which is even less on the 690 than on 680 SLI (thanks to some hardware tricks/new bridge chip?)

the AMD cards put in high numbers, but their Crossfire "smoothness" is heavily criticized by multiple reviews which makes me really wary :( I'd consider a single MSI 7970 Lightning if somebody built a waterblock for it though (assuming it clocks beyond the voltage limited 680s) ... no dual link DVI? F that!

and with Nvidia's production issues the current situation won't change anytime soon I guess :/ makes my €380 GTX480 seem like a bargain compared to the current high-end cards lol (maybe it was actually :D , as the 580 never went below €400 during its entire reign)

FWIW, EK makes blocks for the DCII 7970. The outlets are kind of funky though as the PCB seems like it's a bit wider than reference.

yup seen those ... but I was just googling the Lightning and the overclocks on those don't even seem that hot ...

mkenyon

Banned
FWIW, EK makes blocks for the DCII 7970. The outlets are kind of funky though as the PCB seems like it's a bit wider than reference.

mxgt

Banned
UK sites asking £900 for the 690

fucking ridiculous, you could get a complete top of the range system for that.

mkenyon

Banned
What would be the expected depreciation rate of something like a 690?

I might jump just because I can. :-/
Not much. Used 590s are still selling for close to MSRP.
UK sites asking £900 for the 690

fucking ridiculous, you could get a complete top of the range system for that.
Do you mean great performing for 1080p @ 60FPS? Yeah. Top of the line would include $2K in just GPU and CPU alone (690 and 3960x).

Smokey

Uh oh Smokey...your going to do it arent you? Just imagine then getting another 690 and going quad SLI???

So far all the reviews have been very positive and pretty much overclocking is pretty good as well.

I certainly want a 690...but I think I really am gonna sit this one out. I'm still at 1080p (120hz) and my 2x 580 Lightnings laugh at everything. When I go to my Surround setup I may re-consider though, that's where that extra muscle would really come in handy. Speaking strictly to those who want to do a 680 SLI setup..there seems no reason to go that route over a 690 for the reasons I mentioned above. Yes 1k is expensive...but it is essentially 680 SLI on one card and every review I've read has it only slightly slightly behind. I'm failing to understand why people think Nvidia should offer the 690 for less than 2x 680s when it within 98% of benchmarks against it and from what I've read it is more efficient in just about every area. I think it's just people seeing that it is technically a single card and then spazzing out about the price, whereas if you actually look at how it performs it's priced accordingly.

If you want to do a 680 SLI setup chances are you've got plenty of bread anyway, and based on the reviews I've read I'd rather go with a 690.

Mystery

I certainly want a 690...but I think I really am gonna sit this one out. I'm still at 1080p (120hz) and my 2x 580 Lightnings laugh at everything. When I go to my Surround setup I may re-consider though, that's where that extra muscle would really come in handy. Speaking strictly to those who want to do a 680 SLI setup..there seems no reason to go that route over a 690 for the reasons I mentioned above. Yes 1k is expensive...but it is essentially 680 SLI on one card and every review I've read has it only slightly slightly behind. I'm failing to understand why people think Nvidia should offer the 690 for less than 2x 680s when it within 98% of benchmarks against it and from what I've read it is more efficient in just about every area. I think it's just people seeing that it is technically a single card and then spazzing out about the price, whereas if you actually look at how it performs it's priced accordingly.

If you want to do a 680 SLI setup chances are you've got plenty of bread anyway, and based on the reviews I've read I'd rather go with a 690.

Looks like the 690 can overclock to pretty much match the 680's stock speeds, but SLI 680s can overclock much higher (relatively, still capped to about 1250 mhz -- some cards can break 1300). Also, some people will go SLI 680s because they are more available to purchase... ebay scalpers are already charging 1800USD for the 690.

Edit: Even the egg is charging 1199, which is 200 over the MSRP of 999.

Hawk269

Looks like the 690 can overclock to pretty much match the 680's stock speeds, but SLI 680s can overclock much higher (relatively, still capped to about 1250 mhz -- some cards can break 1300). Also, some people will go SLI 680s because they are more available to purchase... ebay scalpers are already charging 1800USD for the 690.

Not all 680's are created equal though. I know for my SLI setup the best I can do is +100 on the offset...I know others can only do 60 or so and yet others can do +200 or higher. So it depend how lucky you get.

Sethos

Banned

Plus 690 is a limited run with top-bin chips, stock will be non-existent when the first run is complete, I believe. 680 SLI also allows room to purchase a third, maybe even used and enjoy a boost there. Unlike the 690 which will be a bitch to find and probably cost even more than it does now due to rarity. Even now prices are pushing way past RRP.

690 looks to be a sweet card, real high quality but I'd still go 680 SLI.

Then again, it's all luxury decisions :p

join me smokey in doing 4-way SLI. you know you want to.

sk3tch

Congrats mkenyon...the GTX 690 is looking tight! If I could find two of 'em I'd simplify my setup. Not going to work too hard on it, though. :)

I don't recommend anyone to go quad-SLI right now. Drivers just aren't there. Lots of funkiness.

Congrats mkenyon...the GTX 690 is looking tight! If I could find two of 'em I'd simplify my setup. Not going to work too hard on it, though. :)

I don't recommend anyone to go quad-SLI right now. Drivers just aren't there. Lots of funkiness.

Would love to know what are you running with quad-SLI?

Credo

Have any of you heard this, and is there any reason to believe it's true?

I've been holding out for the 660 since I assumed it would be getting here sometime in late May or June, but that article makes me consider going ahead with a 560. I know I'm impatient, but I'd really like to upgrade from this 275.

Top Bottom