• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Banned
Unless Nintendo bundles the NX with a Wii U Pro Controller though, I dunno if I can get behind a controller without face buttons, at least not for Nintendo's next big console. I only hope that this controller exists to serve as a method to connect Nintendo's mobile games with the NX.

To clarify, this is the controller unit for the console.
Dev-kit, so it's not the final design, obviously.

This was also posted by the leaker.

bigkurz

Banned
Are you guys being serious with proclamations of Nintendo's death from one picture of something we don't even know what it is? I know this is the internet and we're supposed to be hyperbolic, but come on man.

well obviously people are making claims with the assumption that this is real.

because this thing is trash.

nynt9

I'm still heavily on Team Fake here... Nintendo is one of the last bastions of traditional gaming and for them to go so far away from it especially after Iwata made a strong point to mention the NX in the first place to show while they are going to be producing mobile software they will still be making traditional game consoles.

This is too similar to the cheaply made patent mock ups and the whole "confidential" sticker just screams fake to me. Whoever made this did a great job but let's be real here. Similar to Project Cafe leaks we will never actually see what the NX is until E3. Let's just be patient, it's just in a little over 2 months.

EDIT: Aw man that Game Informer tweet makes it ominous now... Still holding on hope, though! I guess I won't jump to conclusions after all.

Traditional gaming, like that time they made a console controller by a motion sensing stick or the time they made a console with a touch screen controller?

This is exactly what I'm thinking. You can either place it in a shell with handles or use it without one.

That said.....I'm not liking the way this is looking
That could work, bundle an grip case with it.
That way you can easily switch from portable use to home use. As another poster pointed it, it seems to have an HDMI out on the top.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Consumer only want, what they already have. If you like Old-School controllers there are already two companies, which sell them. What does it help Nintendo, if they try to become the third wheel again?

People want Nintendo games, the shitty controllers and hardware keep getting in the way.

Are you guys being serious with proclamations of Nintendo's death from one picture of something we don't even know what it is? I know this is the internet and we're supposed to be hyperbolic, but come on man.
Welcome to Neogaf... Also check the wiimote reactiion thread.. This is a good sign. Trust me.

Guevara

pkfWmFK.jpg

Look at the reflection in the first image, then look at Massive's HQ in Sweden

Same tree

Same fucking tree man

Shit

I just dont understand the practicality of haptic buttons. It seems like a large, large grab at the wii/phone market nintendo lost. It seems risky and needlessly ballsy

Again, what can haptic provide in terms of button layout that 4 simple face buttons cant?

You cant put them anywhere special because your thumbs naturally need to be close to the sticks

Whats the benefit besides the initial "wow! That's different, I wonder what it's like?" reaction
The ability to add extra buttons for games that might need it. The ability to customize the exact button configuration depending on your individual hands to adjust ergonomics. Because not everyone has identically sized hands. Also, if you prefer a and b (because of their typical function in games) to be one above the other, or one to the right or left of the other, you can do either. And this can make button remapping a lot easier and system wide as opposed to something you need to do for each individual game

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What I don't get is, given the amount of people currently loving their smartphones, clearly there is a desire for touchscreen interfaces. So why so many declaring it'll fail?

Because using a smart phone app is different from controlling traditional video games.

There is a reason why touch screens have not replace keyboards on laptops and desktop PCs. You don't want to write a book on a virtual keyboard. You probably don't want to play Call of Duty on virtual buttons.

As others have pointed out, the biggest issue is the impossibility to blindly know where the buttons are. This would be a smaller issue if the photo shows the handheld, since in this case your eyes would be on the screen the entire time. If the image shows the home console controller—or a handheld that also works as a home console controller—then the problem of using it blindly would be a problem. The analog sticks might server as a haptic reference point, but I am skeptical.

I am open to this thing. As a handheld it probably makes sense. But I remain skeptical if the home console will use the same concept. I never liked how the GamePad on the Wii U forced you to change your focus between TV and the controller in your lap all the time. This thing—again, if it is a controller for the home console, and not a handheld—looks like it would make that issue even worse.

oni-link

If Nintendo want to get out of the console business, they should just stop making consoles

A buttonless gimmick system will sell under 10m units and cost them millions, and achieve the same result

Chris R

I want to like it, but I just can't. Why they couldn't have just put the screen between the sticks I'll never know. Looks uncomfortable and my huge hands would cover everything either side of the stick anyway.

Yea. They are. Welcome to GAF Nintendo pre E3 console controller leaks/info. It's a great ride I swear to god. Every time.

injurai

Banned
Getting rid of buttons is certainly a creative way to save on manufacturing costs. We all know Nintendo's profits are on hardware and not software.

Krammy

This is basically my nightmare scenario for a controller. No physical buttons and the whole thing is a gigantic grease trap. On top of that, it's going to be another gamepad situation where they cost a fortune if it breaks (not that mine has).

Koh

If this is a console controller, I'm not interested in the slightest. A second screen is a showstopper for me. Changing focuses during a game is disruptive and annoying, and off-screen-play is not something I would ever use.

If this is a handheld, I'm not sure how I feel. I'll wait for more details.

Even though the pictures seem legit, I'm still thinking the device is not Nintendo's. I'm still waiting for the revolutionary features because they aren't apparent in these pictures.

The non-physical buttons don't bother me at the moment. When playing on phones, those are not what screw me up, its the crapy digital analog sticks, which this fixes.

optimiss

1) I think it is, looks like it can match. Guess charge port is bottom left?
2) I am going to assume you touch like you do on the 3DS. Probably means you do not need to use analogs and touch at the same time. If L/R as wheels and clickable, then it could work as buttons for combat.

It could also be that you just tilt the circle pad towards the button you want to hit. That way buttons can be drawn anywhere around it and you still have a physical interaction.

thefro

I want to try this and see Nintendo actually present it before passing judgment.

This does look a lot more slick than the earlier leak.

jerry5278

Neo Member
I'm not going to lose my mind like everyone else is. I'm going to reserve judgement until I have the controller in my hands and have actually played a game with it. I am confident that this will turn out just fine

nampad

If this is real I will enjoy seeing them crash and burn. That gimmick has barely any benefits besides looking cool. It is described like force touch and that is just not good enough to replace buttons.
Besides it looking sexy, the only upside would be that you maybe can use the scroll wheels to switch through button layouts. This would make things more complicated for rather casual players so it isn't something Nintendo is known for.

So now the huge downside:
-the screen is probably expensive and raises the bill of materials a lot. That could have been used for better internal hardware.
-being completely different from the other platform holders means the third party will probably ignore it.

Ivan

If this has anything to do with virtual buttons, they need a revolution in haptic feedback, that's for sure...

Brinbe

Will people bother with this when they already all have iPads and iPhones to game on? Make a better device for those people to game on? I mean, this is clearly who their competition is at this point, not MS/Sony.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the console is the controller or is there a console unit that this controller is attached to?

So confused, Nintendo has no choice but to reveal it now and avoid further confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom