• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

vIsik

Neo Member
I'm guessing more plastic accessories are indeed incoming. ;^)

Did some quick mocks...

77ZnfPa.png

zLz3oX1.png1

This.. looks better ?

Edit : if it was bigger and had lesser width it would be fine by me I guess.

Makki

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... why Nintendo... More crappy performance from your console just so you can have a gimmicky extra screen... We just want your games, not some novel way to play them! I never look at my damned WiiU remote....

Anarky

Banned
I think this is what Rosti meant by being disappointed the other day. They wanted to show it fresh out of the gate without any pre-conceptions and show you what it can do.

Now they have to deal with some negative preconceptions. Gamers aren't really sympathetic to new ideas or 'gimmicks'.

Well it's clearly too late for that now. They took too long and now everyone has a bunch of negative preconceptions of it regardless of whether this leak is fake or real.

On top of that, look at the pre-release devkit for the Wii U. It has nowhere near the amount of polish of the leaked images. The leaked images look like a consumer-grade product.

Even the post-release Wii U devkits use the Nintendo logo on their confidential property sticker.
This NX controller looks about as unfinished as that crappy GamePad. And it's probably further along.

openrob

On top of that, look at the pre-release devkit for the Wii U. It has nowhere near the amount of polish of the leaked images. The leaked images look like a consumer-grade product.

Even the post-release Wii U devkits use the Nintendo logo on their confidential property sticker.

With hints at how tight the NDA is for this, I bet they wanted to claim deniability if leaked pictures ever got out, which evidently seems to have happened.

DjRalford

If they were launching this fall they would need a consumer grade product ready right?

-Horizon-

Well then...

What bugs me really is that I think if I had a choice of something to give up to touch controls, it would probably be the sticks, not the buttons

I suppose this opens up the possibility to put any kind or number of touch buttons around the sticks depending on the game, but I'm trying to imagine how an action game is supposed to feel good or responsive tapping a touchscreen. Basically this is feels like your best choice is a move toward swipe motions for skill based gameplay, which I don't think I'd be too wild about.

Papacheeks

Banned
If you didn't perceive my subtle attempt at joking the things towards a more calm tone then I have to say it straight: calm down, you are very aggressive towards people that have done nothing to you.

Well maybe people shouldn't add to the hysteria. WHich was my whole point. Having a astronaught pic and a smiley face response from someone working in this field doesn't really add anything.

That's all I was saying, and it's aggravating seeing people enable him. And other's who just now are quoting Seinfeld.

People wonder why these threads get canned.

jblank83

Well it's clearly too late for that now. They took too long and now everyone has a bunch of negative preconceptions of it regardless of whether this leak is fake or real.

If Nintendo released a box that was more powerful than PS4.5 with a controller as nice as the Xbox Elite, they'd still have to deal with a ton of negative preconceptions and people who would shit on them just for fun.

Nintendo has a lot of work to do. It doesn't matter when the reveal is, as long as they do it right.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe

I just find it weird that if someone went to the trouble of making such an elaborate fake, they would let it down on a sticker.

Is that sticker on the GamePad?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well maybe people shouldn't add to the hysteria. WHich was my whole point. Having a astronaught pic and a smiley face response from someone working in this field doesn't really add anything.

That's all I was saying, and it's aggravating seeing people enable him. And other's who just now are quoting Seinfeld.

I don't see any other hysteria in the past pages, really.

Oxn

Well I didnt buy a Wii-U for Zelda, and I sure as Hell wont buy this Abomination for Zelda.

Sorry Zelda, its a no-go for us.

None of those have them on the controller though, they have them on the devkit itself, which we don't have images of. So if anything, all you've proved is it's consistent with previous devices.

Although I'm #TeamReal, what are the 3 sources you mean?

Two different sets of photos, the Game Informer guy, and I guess it resembling the original patent.

gai_shain

its totally real

microwave

Guevara

Nintendo is a cargo cult:

Wii looked like a TV remote because TV remotes were accessible and intuitive

Wii U looked like a tablet because at the time tablets were blowing up

Now the NX takes its influence from phones.

This thread is going to get canned? Do you have insider mod information, or are you just fucking lying to all of us? Which is it?!

Tenrius

Maybe there's a Nintendo-branded sticker on the devkit proper? Do devkit controllers usually have those stickers?

jdstorm

Banned
Let's say this is real for a second, and it's a controller for the home console.

Are you expected to just memorize where the virtual buttons are, or do you only play the console on the controller?

Presumably they can move between games, so it's not always the same spot.

I guess you could try to hold your controller below the TV you're looking at so you can see both at once until you learn it?

I'm guessing it will have gyro controls. With the idea being that when you play an FPS you use the left stick to move. The gyro to aim and the right stick in place of the regular face buttons. Hopefully it will support pro controllers for those of us who hate gyro aiming.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... why Nintendo... More crappy performance from your console just so you can have a gimmicky extra screen... We just want your games, not some novel way to play them! I never look at my damned WiiU remote....

So true. Nintendo just doesn't get it. It will be less powerful than a Xbox One just so they can force that crappy 2nd screen on you. I don't want to look down at a damn screen when I'm playing games on my tv Nintendo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just remember guys... it's not going to look exactly like this. It hasn't even been publicly revealed yet...

Heres the Wii / WiiU / NDS first public shots and actual launch products:
WIIMOTE-CHANGES.jpg

592138599_22280.nphd_.jpg

nintendo-ds-old-vs-new-20040728113610444-000.jpg

Theres probably more nintendo examples.

Basically, the NX is gunna look alot slicker come launch day.
No one is worried about how "slick" it looks, just how incompetent the design behind it is, especially after how the Wii U went and their promises to core gamers.

They just don't get it, and it seems like no matter how many corporate shakeups, the company culture is just far too divorced from modern expectations.

Just remember guys... it's not going to look exactly like this. It hasn't even been publicly revealed yet...

Heres the Wii / WiiU / NDS first public shots and actual launch products:
WIIMOTE-CHANGES.jpg

592138599_22280.nphd_.jpg

nintendo-ds-old-vs-new-20040728113610444-000.jpg

Theres probably more nintendo examples.

Basically, the NX is gunna look alot slicker come launch day.

The Wii and Wii U prototypes may not be "exactly" the same as the final products, but all the changes between the two are largely cosmetic at best. There's really no meaningful changes that make the old form stand out entirely from the final one. Same with the DS applies too but a lesser extent; the prototype has a noticeably different build and color scheme, but the general concepts are untouched. And even then, that's an older example compared the more recent Wii and Wii U prototypes, which are a lot closer to the final products in comparison.

Not trying to sound rude, I get the argument you were trying to make. But honestly using those examples makes your argument kinda fall apart more than support it.

Newline

So true. Nintendo just doesn't get it. It will be less powerful than a Xbox One just so they can force that crappy 2nd screen on you. I don't want to look down at a damn screen when I'm playing games on my tv Nintendo.
The reality is, you just don't get nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom