• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Is the PS5 only 9Tflops? | Let's Talk

huh? Cerny himself that there is only GPU accelerated RT. He NEVER said that there are going to be dedicated hardware cores for RT.
If they would use that, they would say that and not hardware accelerated.
Please stop this bs already. Hardware acceleration means "fixed function hardware" for this, in gpu. Dedicated hardware? Where is it allocated? Ray tracing is very sensitive to any kind of delay and latencies.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Thereā€™s a reason TLW of all people will only post articles from NX Gamer, haha. But regardless, every site I visit pretty much have the same ā€œnarrativeā€. DF is all pro Xbox and NX is all pro Sony. To be fair, while I donā€™t see the DF outside of a few over excited articles, the NX stuff I see does seem to be ā€œlook at this 0.01% Sony win, ignore this 10% X winā€.

So, back to my original point. Thereā€™s a reason TLW will only post stuff from there.

GenericUser

Simple man indeed.

First you say that 9 is significantly less than 12, and you hated 720p xbox games situation on current gen.

And then talk about getting possible switch pro instead.

If you care so much about tflops and resolution, why would you think that getting "switch pro" would be even an option? Because if it comes, it most likely is barely faster than switch which is like 1/4 of xbox one s tflops.

Switch pro would most likely be 1-2tflops machine at most. Switch is and will be many levels slower and worse system if/when they keep the current handheld form factor.

Even 9tflops with other improvements is enough to have 4k games, and nothing is official yet anyway.

12tflops on xbox means nothing if their game lineup is as bad as it have been
I don't consider Switch and PS5/XBX to be comparable products. Switch is for Nintendo Games and other switch exclusives, PS5/XBX for all high end console gaming. I still stand with it, I won't buy a Playstation that is significantly slower then the XBX but I won't buy a Microsoft product either.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
These leaks are just marketing, sending a line to see what the people think......Who panics and who does not, we all have to wait.....Some people are saying they're buying XBOX because of this, when nothing is confirmed 11 months before launch.....It's crazy, I don't even think preorders are up yet......Yep, it's definitely the PR machine in play.....MS uses every opportunity for PR to change their outlook and this is what it is......

Hold your horses Pana, a bit too much hyperbole, so it means you're just baiting...ā€¦.

Why would people buy the PS5? For games, games, games......A generational leap between PS5 and Series X, reminds me of the hyperbole of XBONEX vs PRO, it never works Pana,,,All of this sounds like the same marketing machine MS used for X......Just do a reality check, hype vs reality.....PS4 installbase vs XBOX..
What did ellipses ever do to you?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I remember when DF where Pro Sony because the base PS4 console was more powerful than bases Xbox One so facts being facts showed this discrepancy in the games but nope they where Pro Sony.
Now it's been the other way about since OneX.

That is quite an alternate reality / revisionist history take. The same people with gloating tech deep dives about Xbox One architecture? The same one that stopped using the original Xbox One as soon as the upclocked S revision came out?
The same DF / Leadbetter that was always minimising the power difference between Xbox One and PS4, minimising the resolution differences as having little impact but boasting about any frame rate advantage in any situation where it actually occurred as well as anisotropic filtering differences if they could find them and cooking up theories around them? Same ones that kept adding comments about which controller you prefer and where your friends are to really make your purchase decision for the games they reviewed?

Then came the Xbox One X and suddenly it is clear as day controller preferences and where your friends are, likely they are on PS4, do not matter anymore but only resolution differences (which now really matter) and power. Interestingly, Xbox One X / XSX are always referred as beasts, monsters, always with hope and excitement. Guess which console Leadbetter was still pouring FUD over whether it had real RT support or not? You guessed it, Frank Stallone! I mean PS5 ;).

DF / Leadbetter has always decidedly not pro PlayStation, Sega first and then now MS IIRC. They could not blatantly lie when some games were 900p vs 1080p so DF had to report there were differences and the advantage PS4 had, but always minimised it as much as possible and offered some reasons why your purchase would still be great on the Xbox platform.

Now, it is clear PS4 has many more users globally and its controller is not universally hated... curiously where your friends play and which controller you may like are not a factor anymore. Only resolution and some graphical effects differences are.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So youā€™re saying a technology review site is biased because they usually think the best made and performing machine is best...

Interesting...

You can report factual information inside your articles and still be biased. Surely, you were watching the coverage of Xbox One vs PS4 and then Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro right? One had lots of whitewashing while the other a lot more emphasis on the importance of the differences.

The famously quoted, not a DF article yes, piece about how you ā€œshould not look to much in PS4ā€™s (early) salesā€ was reporting factual numbers too.

Interesting...

Last edited:

FireFly

I don't consider Switch and PS5/XBX to be comparable products. Switch is for Nintendo Games and other switch exclusives, PS5/XBX for all high end console gaming. I still stand with it, I won't buy a Playstation that is significantly slower then the XBX but I won't buy a Microsoft product either.
So in a world where the Xbox Series X doesn't exist and the PS5 is still 9 TF, you would buy the PS5?

DonF

The 9 TF figure has to be the decoy dev kit that sony distributes, like with the ps4, where they said that the machine had 4 gb of ram, then suprise motherfucker, 8 gb ram.

kinda /s and also joking but maybe who knows.

Panaphonics

Banned
Because we know Sony's first party studios and 3rd party partners well, and we know they will bring great games to the table. Who cares abut Gears and Forza.

lol the recently released ones have been crap. Shenmue 3 and death stranding are utter shit.

only because they produced good ones lastgen, doesnt mean that they will produce good ones nextgen. Stop being so delusional.

GenericUser

So in a world where the Xbox Series X doesn't exist and the PS5 is still 9 TF, you would buy the PS5?
It sounds so stupid, but yes..

Again, it absolutely depends on how big the difference will be. If the XBX can run the game at 60fps and the PS5 will have dips into the 50s, that's a difference I can live with. If it's anything like the 720P fiasco of the XBO at the beginning of this generation, I'm out.

Gamernyc78

Banned
wHK73uA.jpg

Lol šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚ We can finally say this year we are getting new consoles.

God this is getting tiresome now.

Who really cares? People certainly won't when they are playing Bloodbourne 2 or the next Spiderman. At that point even IF the Xbox was more powerful no one will give a shit. Just look at the Xbox One X. Most powerful console with pretty much fuck all exclusives to play.
And the exclusive argument is tiresome too, who cares? Most people are playing free multiplat games anyway. What's the most played active concurrent exclusive game? Probably something like PokƩmon because it's going to always be played and repayable, not something like GoW. And in terms of 1p games it's minecraft. The big triple A multiplat people are playing? Heck, Witcher 3, a (2015?) game. Emulation is such a big problem for Nintendo because their tech is weak and exclusive. Meanwhile MS's thought is, everyone has our tech, why not let them just buy the game they want? And if people have the best graphics on their pc, why not try to match that to the console? So yeah, tech specs are tiresome, but they always will be unless you care, and a lot of people care.

huh? Cerny himself that there is only GPU accelerated RT. He NEVER said that there are going to be dedicated hardware cores for RT.
If they would use that, they would say that and not hardware accelerated.
You are either ignorant or you are being manipulated.
Who really cares? People certainly won't when they are playing Bloodbourne 2 or the next Spiderman. At that point even IF the Xbox was more powerful no one will give a shit. Just look at the Xbox One X. Most powerful console with pretty much fuck all exclusives to play.
In a vaccum, nobody, but assuming that this is the only measurement of both console's relative performance we have, that they cost the same, that we don't know for sure about the games ... well then the series x has better rumors about it.

However I am much more confident about Sony's future output, even if MS had a million studios, I don't trust them to manage them so well.
That kind of power in a cons ole is amazing and it will be a huge step up over PS4.
Definitely, having a radeon 5700xt is by no means a problem.
Whether it's 9 or 12, half the gamers seem to just look at the raw TF number, but forget the cpus are better, SSD, more ram, faster ram.

It would be like claiming our fam's old ass 486/66 mhz only being twice as fast as our old 386/33 mhz.
Or that the 66mhz 486 is even remotely close to the Pentium 66!
Lets not forget the pro and x are barely used for their potential other than running current games prettier.
I can see where you are coming from, but I also don't agree, the PS4 PRO has played its role, it rund VR better, let us choose if we want to run existing games with improved image quality or better performance (in some cases) and I think that with 4.3TF on about the same CPU this is about what we could expect. Similarly for the X, MS wanted to make a point about performance, and offering a bit more, so they added more RAM, which I think wasn't a good solution, as it made the console more expensive, plus it's not used that much, to me it looks like they treated the project as a pissing contest rather than a scoped attempt at being competitive, mid-gen like that is not the time to do that sort of thing.
As a guy with next to zero interest in another Xbox, I definitely do care if the PS5 is significantly weaker. It would make me think twice about the launch.
That is my problem too :-/
Where thereā€™s smoke thereā€™s fire, so many wanted to run with the Lockheart 4 teraflop Rumor. You donā€™t get to cut the cake both ways.
Well if there is a 12tf console for the money is no object crowd, they should have a machine for the money is all that matters crowd too... 4, 6 or 8tf, take your pick.
I'm not a flop evangelist, just a simple man. In my simple brain, 9 flops is significantly less then 12 flops.

EDIT: It'll all boil down to how 3rd party games perform on the PS5. If the PS5 to the XBX is like the PS4 against the XBO, I'll not buy a PS5. I remember the XBO running cod ghosts at 720P whereas the PS4 managed to run it at full HD. I will not tolerate such a huge difference.
That won't happen this time around,the last time not only did the one run games at a lower resolution, the frame rate often dipped lower too!

About the 3rd party situation, it matters, but also what games will sony present? and how is backward and forward compatibility handled?

1 - I know for sure that Sony will make "PS5" exclusive titles, with only this platform as a target, and that their studios will take full advantage of the extra resources and features.

2 - Given how MS said that they wanted full backward AND forward compatibility, I'm worried they will use the series x to upgrade existing titles with new features (automatic ray tracing, like reshade does), higher resolution/frame rate, offer better models and textures on all their new games, so they take some advantage of the new hardware in the same way PC games get better on new hardware.
every PS exclusive i play on Pro i wish the console was more powerful to push out more than measly 1440p.
I am fine with this resolution, but I wish we had more locked 60fps titles before we move to full 4k.

As a recap, the rumors tell us two things:
The PS5 would be about 9TF, while the Series X could be around 12TF
Developers have told us many times that the PS5 performed better than the Series X.
Some crazy people think "hardware accelerated" is not the same as "accelerated" for some reason.

So which is which?

I remember when DF where Pro Sony because the base PS4 console was more powerful than bases Xbox One so facts being facts showed this discrepancy in the games but nope they where Pro Sony.
Now it's been the other way about since OneX.
'This is not what I recall, they would downplay the differences in resolution, speak up to 900p/792p on exclusive games, be more tolerant of lower frame rates on the xbox one, etc. Then they would eat up every words of MS's engineer when they spoke of the ESRAM's magic capabilities (you did not need that much technical knowledge to know they were either willfully mis-leading their audience or just ignorant).

So before they would not be able to see the difference between 900p and native 1080p (smudgy v.s. clear), now they spot the smallest drop from native 4k, which is much harder to spot than sub native resolutions on a 1080p tv.

I don't want DF to be "pro Sony or pro MS", I want them to appear consistent in their analysis.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Easily the best video on the subject out right now, great job as always by NXG.

JCK75

Until everything is officially out in the open I find arguing over speculation to be a huge waste of time. If True it's less of a leap from something like an Xbox One X than the The Xbox one X was from the Xbox One S.. but how much of the potential power of the X was not used because the games were designed to also run on the S? And Since honestly Sony has made some magical looking games even on the base PS4 it's still exciting to see what they would do with that kind of power.

Last edited:

JimboJones

'This is not what I recall, they would downplay the differences in resolution, speak up to 900p/792p on exclusive games, be more tolerant of lower frame rates on the xbox one, etc. Then they would eat up every words of MS's engineer when they spoke of the ESRAM's magic capabilities (you did not need that much technical knowledge to know they were either willfully mis-leading their audience or just ignorant).

So before they would not be able to see the difference between 900p and native 1080p (smudgy v.s. clear), now they spot the smallest drop from native 4k, which is much harder to spot than sub native resolutions on a 1080p tv.

I don't want DF to be "pro Sony or pro MS", I want them to appear consistent in their analysis.
You must be watching different DF to me

"only"

9.2TF is by no means bad. My Ā£750 pc GPU is "only" 10.1TF

That kind of power in a console is amazing and it will be a huge step up over PS4.

People obsess to much by numbers. If you buy a PS5 I'm sure you'll be happy with it...unless you're one of the obsessed. In which case, why not just go build a PC if you want the best performance???

well ps4s slight power advantage was a HUGE reason it was able to bury xb1 at the begining

joe_zazen

so if I get this right nobody is saying the leak on new xbox being 12TF is wrong but the leak on new Playstation being 9TF is wrong?

naw,
lots of sensible folks who say ā€˜we know nothing about specific numbers for either machineā€™. both could be anywhere between 9-14 rdna TF. We will know sometime this year what the facts are, but as of now...

people who get upset when one set of rumours contradict their preferred rumour set, and attack others are either kids, mentally ill, or working for PR social media subcontractor.

thelastword

Banned
so if I get this right nobody is saying the leak on new xbox being 12TF is wrong but the leak on new Playstation being 9TF is wrong?
At this point nobody has concrete or official numbers either way...ā€¦People have to understand these are leaks, some of us are just sensible/logical in pointing out, that there's no way the XBOX will have such a lead on PS when they are launching at the same time, when in typical situations, launch aligned, PS always came out ahead......

It's just reason permeating over hype...ā€¦.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Oh god this is getting very annoying. The same shit over and over again. People are obsessing over the wrong thingsšŸ˜ž
I mean until we get more games and etc announced it makes sense. Not much else to go on atm.

We went from denying the info about the 9.2TF to actually embrace it and now power doesn't matter. Some of you should really stop talking about it, if they reveal that the PS5 will also have 12TF you won't be able to celebrate without looking ridiculous.

Top Bottom