• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Is the PS5 only 9Tflops? | Let's Talk

Wait for the real info people, otherwise you'll embarrass yourselves like the "PS4 will be weaker than xbox one, it won't have more than 4GB of RAM, Sony is doomed" crowd at the end of the last gen.
There has always been a lot of over compensation on the xbox side, sometimes I feel like we reason with Randy Savage or something.
iu

But sometimes Hulk Hogan shows up to lay down the law:

And this is how it ends:

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This time GPU will be a bottleneck.

This is just stupid. People pay every year 1000 e for a smartphone but won't pay extra 100 e for a console which gonna work for 6-7 years. I surrender...

It depends what their goal is with Lockhart. If it's to run everything at 1080p then it's not a bottleneck by any means.

sdrawkcab

Banned
It's first class entertainment I admit. I'd like for one of the two consoles to be significantly weaker. That would produce so many awesome threads.

I just realized that my vega 64 has 12.6 tflops. I just had to share this with you guys.
I know right! Oh my God...the sheer epicness of such a thing would make me drool. Fanboys would be having meltdowns left, right and centre!

If the PS5 is significantly weaker, I think it would hurt Sony Fanboys far more than if the Series X was way weaker, because although Microsoft fans are die-hard, Sony fans are absolutely ruthless. The ensuing carnage would be absolutely blissful, especially if the Series X is out-of-this world expensive...like $649.99.

Imagine the chaos - the Xbox Series X is $649.99 and 12.2 TF
The PS5 is $399.99 and 8.8 TF
Xbox Series S is $249.99 and 5TF... I'd cream my pants from the absolute destruction that would follow. On one hand Xbox fans get the power and advantage they've always wanted, but it literally hurts their pockets to purchase it. On the next hand PS fans can easily afford their console, but have absolutely ZERO bragging rights where power and domination is concerned. And right in the middle, Xbox fanboys and casuals nobody cares about has the cheapest console in existence, right within reach, but it isn't really worth a damn. *Insert evil laugh here*

I wish I could toss them into a Colosseum and watch them battle to the death!

Merciless murder and mayhem... Such glee!

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GHG

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
The two consoles will be similar like eggs. There will be zero difference, sorry guys. Same silicon, different name. 16 minutes of nonstop I'm very important, listen to what I say blablabla. TFLOPS, MEOWS per SECOND, RAY Monkeys per sec, and the like... BULLSHIT. People chewing their fingers. GTFO

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Just imagine the title back in 2013

Is Xbox One only 1.3 Teraflops? Let's talk

Goes on to explain how much better Xbox One games will be over 360/PS3 while ignoring that the PS4 will be 1.84 TF of goodness. Yup, I don't see him taking any sides, lets forget about talking about the PS4's boring GDDR5 run of the mill PC architecture and instead lets focus on how the exciting ESRAM will add secret sauce to make up for everything that's lacking. Let's make an article about that for the sake of "balance" You know, since DF is all the rage about the PS4 being considerably more powerful.

Nope, nothing to see here folks.

NXGamer

Just imagine the title back in 2013

Is Xbox One only 1.3 Teraflops? Let's talk

Goes on to explain how much better Xbox One games will be over 360/PS3 while ignoring that the PS4 will be 1.84 TF of goodness. Yup, I don't see him taking any sides, lets forget about talking about the PS4's boring GDDR5 run of the mill PC architecture and instead lets focus on how the exciting ESRAM will add secret sauce to make up for everything that's lacking. Let's make an article about that for the sake of "balance" You know, since DF is all the rage about the PS4 being considerably more powerful.

Nope, nothing to see here folks.
I guess you missed my feature on the Series X then?

Plus, I still do not get your point, did the XboxOne not deliver exceptional games this generation then?

Last edited:

Heinrich

Banned
I know right! Oh my God...the sheer epicness of such a thing would make me drool. Fanboys would be having meltdowns left, right and centre!

If the PS5 is significantly weaker, I think it would hurt Sony Fanboys far more than if the Series X was way weaker, because although Microsoft fans are die-hard, Sony fans are absolutely ruthless. The ensuing carnage would be absolutely blissful, especially if the Series X is out-of-this world expensive...like $649.99.

Imagine the chaos - the Xbox Series X is $649.99 and 12.2 TF
The PS5 is $399.99 and 8.8 TF
Xbox Series S is $249.99 and 5TF... I'd cream my pants from the absolute destruction that would follow. On one hand Xbox fans get the power and advantage they've always wanted, but it literally hurts their pockets to purchase it. On the next hand PS fans can easily afford their console, but have absolutely ZERO bragging rights where power and domination is concerned. And right in the middle, Xbox fanboys and casuals nobody cares about has the cheapest console in existence, right within reach, but it isn't really worth a damn. *Insert evil laugh here*

I wish I could toss them into a Colosseum and watch them battle to the death!

Merciless murder and mayhem... Such glee!

LOL. „Hurt“ their wallet. People buy $1500 iPhones EVERY YEAR and no one gives a shit. $700 is nothing and it you can even use it for a couple of years. Xbox one came out almost 7 YEARS ago!

Gamernyc78

Banned
Just saw this. Dry tech talk based on most recent leak....

Custom RT chip a possibly

Is tht these specs?

Somebody threw this up on reset in relation to ps5. Of course like everything else couod be nothing 😁

"The recent leaks show the following specs which are most likely to be PS5

CPU: Zen2 8 cores @ 2.8 GHz
GPU: 52CUs@1.9GHz, 12.65 TFlops
POWER VR ray tracing
RAM: HBM2E 16GB + 8GB DDR4
SSD: 5~ 5.5 GB/s NVMe

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Is tht these specs?

Somebody threw this up on reset in relation to ps5. Of course like everything else couod be nothing 😁

POWER VR ray tracing
Jet Engine confirmed. But no seriously, that's too much heat.

Obviously extra power is always nice but the exclusive games do the talking.

This generation has been hugely forgettable if you are a MS fan.

Gears / Halo / Forza and what, Sea of Thieves & Recore?

3 standards and a couple of very forgettable titles which will likely not build sequels or franchises.

It’s THE most *beige* output of exclusives I’ve ever seen and severely lacking when up against Sony’s stable.

MS have to begin this generation by showcasing new IP’s which are even worthy to become franchises where Sony could quite happily release sequels to existing brands they built in the PS4 gen and happily wipe the floor with MS output.

MS cancelled all their slightly interesting titles this gen in favour of safe choices and a subscription service.

They need a lot more than 12.5Tf going into next gen 😆

sinnergy

Seems Sony just tagged ray-tracing in there ... feels all weird as if the where caught by the sudden release of ray tracing by NVIDIA ... if this all is true pushing the clocks the whole machine feels like this ... rushed to reach double digits ... with older tech.

Banned
Seems Sony just tagged ray-tracing in there ... feels all weird as if the where caught by the sudden release of ray tracing by NVIDIA ... if this all is true pushing the clocks the whole machine feels like this ... rushed to reach double digits ... with older tech.

the super high clock speed could indeed point to a shader based RT solution.

those high clock speeds would compliment that pretty nicely.

that's of course if the leaks are true.

sdrawkcab

Banned
LOL. „Hurt“ their wallet. People buy $1500 iPhones EVERY YEAR and no one gives a shit. $700 is nothing and it you can even use it for a couple of years. Xbox one came out almost 7 YEARS ago!
And this is precisely what I've been saying in several other threads! What's with this goddamn obsession of 399? Because that's what you're used to paying? Nobody cares! Handicapping a console at the 399 price doesn't help the gaming generation move forward, it hurts it. Gamers need to broaden their expectations and stop being so spoilt.

Most gamers can save 600 bucks in 12 months. And if you can't, you have big issues to deal with than the price of a console.

gaming_noob

Is tht these specs?

POWER VR ray tracing

When there’s good Xbox specs everyone thinks they’re an engineer and disprove the 12TF RDNA spec. When there’s positive PS5 specs everyone becomes retarded.

Phones are as much a status symbol to some people as they are a piece of tech though. I know many people who buy the best phone on the market, but only use apps and features that are supported by the worst phones on the market. It's all about what people see in your hand. Phones are the new jewelry.

Gamers are, generally speaking, cheap as fuck too. Taking a console beyond that $500 point almost seems like a suicidal move despite the fact that you'll get anywhere from 3-6 years of use out of the thing.

Gamernyc78

Banned
When there’s good Xbox specs everyone thinks they’re an engineer and disprove the 12TF RDNA spec. When there’s positive PS5 specs everyone becomes retarded.

OH not everyone. I don't doubt Xbox can be 12tf I just doubt it has the edge and only bcus of all those leaks from different ppl saying otherwise and being very similar even though some of those ppl don't know eachother. I'm just using common sense, not fanboy retard goggles.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
And this is precisely what I've been saying in several other threads! What's with this goddamn obsession of 399? Because that's what you're used to paying? Nobody cares! Handicapping a console at the 399 price doesn't help the gaming generation move forward, it hurts it. Gamers need to broaden their expectations and stop being so spoilt.

Most gamers can save 600 bucks in 12 months. And if you can't, you have big issues to deal with than the price of a console.

Thy will be 499 like most of us think with the more aggressive company willing to take upwards to 100 loss imo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The funny thing is many of these gamers seem amped up to spend $400. So $400 isn't a big deal.

MS and Sony will announce official pricing probably at E3 which is 6 months before launch. It might be $500 or $600.

So in the next 6 months, all they have to do is save an extra $100-200 by cutting back on stupid shit, but somehow it's impossible to do.

$400 isn't a problem, but that extra $100-200 is like a brick wall of doom. For fuck's sake.

base

Banned
Is tht these specs?

POWER VR ray tracing
16 GB HBM2 RAM? Good luck with that. It's way more expensive than GDDR6 RAM. No chance.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is tht these specs?

POWER VR ray tracing
Going by those specs, PS5 will be probably 15+TF. No.

ph33rknot

Banned
God this is getting tiresome now.

Who really cares? People certainly won't when they are playing Bloodbourne 2 or the next Spiderman. At that point even IF the Xbox was more powerful no one will give a shit. Just look at the Xbox One X. Most powerful console with pretty much fuck all exclusives to play.
Think that had more to do with TV tv tv and $100 more for a less powerful system

Heinrich

Banned
Obviously extra power is always nice but the exclusive games do the talking.

This generation has been hugely forgettable if you are a MS fan.

That’s why they bought a couple of studios. lol

also, most sold games are third party games and multiplatform games and not exclusive games.
Not everyone only plays quick time event infested movie games

Journey

Banned
I guess you missed my feature on the Series X then?

Plus, I still do not get your point, did the XboxOne not deliver exceptional games this generation then?

The point is you sound very defensive about the PS5 possibly having 9.2TF. I don't think anyone is concerned about a specific number, but that there will be an option that will just be so much better. Xbox One was certainly capable of delivering games that were considered next gen when compared to 360/PS3, had there been no PS4 option, gamers wouldn't notice what they were missing, but having a PS4 option running every multiplatform game at 1080p is a problem when Xbox are running, at best at 900p and often 720p on tougher engines.

If you were to make an analysis, instead of focusing on whether PS5 will be fine at 9.2 TF, instead the focus should be "What could be the difference between 9.2TF vs 12TF, what can we expect in terms of running games at 4K @30 or even 4K @60, would there be enough of a difference to consider adding some Ray Tracing on certain Xbox Series X that might not make it to PS5? That would be a less defensive approach and instead answer some of the questions concerning what this power difference could mean to gamers.

NXGamer

The point is you sound very defensive about the PS5 possibly having 9.2TF. I don't think anyone is concerned about a specific number, but that there will be an option that will just be so much better. Xbox One was certainly capable of delivering games that were considered next gen when compared to 360/PS3, had there been no PS4 option, gamers wouldn't notice what they were missing, but having a PS4 option running every multiplatform game at 1080p is a problem when Xbox are running, at best at 900p and often 720p on tougher engines.

If you were to make an analysis, instead of focusing on whether PS5 will be fine at 9.2 TF, instead the focus should be "What could be the difference between 9.2TF vs 12TF, what can we expect in terms of running games at 4K @30 or even 4K @60, would there be enough of a difference to consider adding some Ray Tracing on certain Xbox Series X that might not make it to PS5? That would be a less defensive approach and instead answer some of the questions concerning what this power difference could mean to gamers.
How do I sound defensive, of what? I sense some projection from your ,messages here.

Even in the video you are talking about I stress the Clock rates are too high and 12Tflops may be too high. I also spend time explaining How, why and what are the options here and comparing an Architecture that is not yet available PLUS consoles that have yet to be confirmed in spec let alone visible makes that a mute point.

I can tell you that the ~3Tf gap is not turning a game from 4K/30 to 4K/60 without some other series changes, I tried to touch AGAIN in this vidoe that Tflops is only One piece of hardware. That number alone is not as important, I could not care less if the PS5 or Xbox is the most "powerful" as that rarely wins and means as much as it does to some. When we have more information we can then speculate further.

Banned
How do I sound defensive, of what? I sense some projection from your ,messages here.

Even in the video you are talking about I stress the Clock rates are too high and 12Tflops may be too high. I also spend time explaining How, why and what are the options here and comparing an Architecture that is not yet available PLUS consoles that have yet to be confirmed in spec let alone visible makes that a mute point.

I can tell you that the ~3Tf gap is not turning a game from 4K/30 to 4K/60 without some other series changes, I tried to touch AGAIN in this vidoe that Tflops is only One piece of hardware. That number alone is not as important, I could not care less if the PS5 or Xbox is the most "powerful" as that rarely wins and means as much as it does to some. When we have more information we can then speculate further.

you have to remember that people are inherently biased in these topics, as soon as you talk positive about Xbox or positive about the PS5 you'll get people from the other side that will call you a fanboy or hater or at least say you are overly defensive or supportive of Party A and not positive enough about Party B.

Console wars... Conlsole Wars never change!

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
I just don't recall any technical threads

Are you sure about this? I've seen developers leave the framerate open in games that are hitting close to 60fps vs locking Xbox One games to 30 because they were hitting around 45fps at best.

A PS5 game hitting 45fps vs 60fps on XSX is definitely possible with a 3TF difference.

Edit: I actually enjoy your analysis, just remembering the dark times of 2013, and if someone created a piece saying how Xbox One would be just fine with 1.21 TF, it would not have gone so well back then. Also, you mention that 9.2TF vs 12TF may not be as significant depending on architectural details, but what if PS5 is RDNA based and XSX RDNA2 based? what are your thoughts on Variable Rate Shading allowed by RDNA2 in XSX?

Last edited:

Romulus

I honestly feel Sony devs with a closed box 6TF gpu and a zen2 without having to account for ps4 would still end up making the best looking games of the generation. So a dedicated 9TF is pretty good.

I think the base consoles really put a damper on them stretching their legs. I mean, 1.8TF and a jaguar is downright pathetic at this point and we got games like Horizon.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I honestly feel Sony devs with a closed box 6TF gpu and a zen2 without having to account for ps4 would still end up making the best looking games of the generation. So a dedicated 9TF is pretty good.

I think the base consoles really put a damper on them stretching their legs. I mean, 1.8TF and a jaguar is downright pathetic at this point and we got games like Horizon.
And Horizon 4 with 1.3TF :messenger_winking:

Mobilemofo

I'm not arsed either way.. If the xbxS is more powerful, then great stuff. The Ps4 will be a significant step up in power from the Ps4, and that's what I want, combined with new and existing ip's from Sony and others. It's all about the games and thats what I get from PlayStation. I'll be a happy camper regardless.. 😁

Banned
I remember when ps4 was supposed to have 4gb of slow ram. Good times.

that was a last minute change not even devs knew... so I really don't get why people bring this up all the time when it comes to leaks.
at that time the leak was correct.

Top Bottom