• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT - Is Donald Trump a Racist? (Spoiler Alert: Yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad just said he supports Donald Trump, because only he can 'stop terrorism', that 'Muslims couldn't be trusted', and said 'black people and Muslims have been very active in terms of killing people'. When I call him out on it he simply tells me 'Facts aren't racist, it's the truth'.

Ironically he's Chinese and an immigrant. He supports Brexit for anti-immigration and 'sovereignty' purposes. I don't know what to think anymore.

My dad just said he supports Donald Trump, because only he can 'stop terrorism', that 'Muslims couldn't be trusted', and said 'black people and Muslims have been very active in terms of killing people'. When I call him out on it he simply tells me 'Facts aren't racist, it's the truth'.

Ironically he's Chinese and an immigrant. He supports Brexit for anti-immigration and 'sovereignty' purposes. I don't know what to think anymore.

Where so people even get these fact? Sometimes I truly wonder what I'm missing.

History tends to repeat itself.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Exclusion_Act

NeonBlack

I'm just going to have to put everyone on ignore that is calling my father a racist just because he is voting Republican (not just trump but Republican down the line)
It's extremely disrespectful to talk shit about another forum members parents like that. I do not wish to continue engaging people that can be that heartless. I mean damn ya'll have some class.

Why would you use your dad as an example if you're not willing to let people criticize him? I mean, you know this site is liberal.

AaronB

Why would you use your dad as an example if you're not willing to let people criticize him? I mean, you know this site is liberal.

In his mind, people should have enough class not to attack other people's parents that they don't even know.

Unfortunately, for some liberals, voting Republican (even before Trump, if to a lesser degree) is enough to consider someone racist (and probably misogynistic, homophobic, and a few other things as well). It's like trying to have a discussion with a religious person who thinks anyone voting for a pro-choice candidate supports the killing of babies, and is therefore so immoral as to be outside the realm of reasonable discussion or being treated with respect.

There are people who can have reasonable discussions, and there are people who quickly shut it down with name-calling and can't find a way to respect different views. They have constructed a mental picture that does not have room for honest or honorable disagreement.

What you guys need is Hillary to label all Republicans racist at her speech. To have her say if you don't vote for me, you're a racist and a bigot. To give some weight to the logic found here. I mean she won't because that would be political suicide. Maybe have Obama do it he is almost out the door anyway. No, it has to come from a white person, a white person has to get on stage and point at other white people and call them racist if they don't vote for Hillary. That would be the most effective and most repeated sound byte from now until November and beyond. Until then it's just something people say to beat up on people they talk to normally in other threads.
Well this gets to the root of the problem without you even seeing it. You think calling out racism is just some thing people on the Internet do to win fights instead of a serious systemic problem that murders, oppresses, and terrorizes people for no good reason. You don't see any actual value in having it called out and eradicated from discourse and culture.

In his mind, people should have enough class not to attack other people's parents that they don't even know.

Unfortunately, for some liberals, voting Republican (even before Trump, if to a lesser degree) is enough to consider someone racist (and probably misogynistic, homophobic, and a few other things as well). It's like trying to have a discussion with a religious person who thinks anyone voting for a pro-choice candidate supports the killing of babies, and is therefore so immoral as to be outside the realm of reasonable discussion or being treated with respect.

There are people who can have reasonable discussions, and there are people who quickly shut it down with name-calling and can't find a way to respect different views. They have constructed a mental picture that does not have room for honest or honorable disagreement.

Calling someone who dies racist things a racist is not "attacking" someone, it's simply calling a spade a spade.

Where so people even get these fact? Sometimes I truly wonder what I'm missing.

It's not fact. It is based in feeling. The world is safer today than it was 20 years ago, and 20 years ago it was safer than it was 20 years before that. Threats are just more random and unpredictable, which is why people are scared.

Well this gets to the root of the problem without you even seeing it. You think calling out racism is just some thing people on the Internet do to win fights instead of a serious systemic problem that murders, oppresses, and terrorizes people for no good reason. You don't see any actual value in having it called out and eradicated from discourse and culture.

He isn't arguing from good faith. Its been obvious far before this thread. Even if we acknowledge that not everyone who votes republican is a bigot it still doesnt excuse them from the responsibility of their actions.

I can be entirely polite to people who vote republican but ultimately what does that have to do with two polar opposites in terms of policy? What havr the democrats failed to address for the republican base?

Future

Good post. This is what people in this thread are talking about. He doesn't want to be called a racist. He's just being "tough" and looking at the facts of course.

I assume most people voting for trump have some view in the back of their head that aligns with these types of things. They just don't advertise it like most presidential candidates dont advertise it. Except trump of course

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The whole Trump and racism issue in a nutshell:

He's a goddamn documented bigot and racist, it's not somehow ambiguous. If you vote for him, you're advancing bigotry, racism, and discrimination. Period.
Exactly, it's not that fucking complex yet we have people tripping over themselves in some of the most disengenous logic i've ever seen trying to support them.

Eidan

Trump is a racist and a racial opportunist.

The GOP is a white supremacist party.

If you vote for Trump, you are a racist.

This election is almost refreshing in how simple and clear these truths are.

Is Donald Trump a racist?

I feel like this a question that can be answered by simply having the person asking this question repeat one of Trump's many statements in their own words.

"Oh, wait what? The blacks? Jesus Christ.."

Speevy

Banned
I think the media that is against Trump should just ignore him.

They could print an article saying "TRUMP ACTUAL SON OF SATAN DO NOT VOTE FOR HIM."

and he'd be leading in double digits next week.

Yeah, I'm a guy who tends to give even the worst people a benefit of a doubt.

But yeah, he's pretty undeniably racist. The evidence is just too stacked up.

Nafai1123

Banned
I feel really bad for those moderate, disenfranchised, fiscally conservative Republicans out there who have to deal with a party which shares very little of their ideals other than the concept of small government and less taxes, or even foreign policy for that matter.

Here's the thing. If they are a moderate, disenfranchised, fiscally conservative Republican and they vote for the party, they are basically saying "I understand that the party I'm voting for does not share the same views as I do on a number of subjects (mainly domestic policy), but I'm going to vote for them because I believe in fiscal conservatism." Put another way, "I want to pay less in taxes and I'm willing to sacrifice fellow American's human rights in order to do so."

It's privilege and it's racism whether they believe it to be or not. Believing in something does not make it fact despite what Republican party leaders say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom