• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Mueller Has Early Draft of Trump Letter Giving Reasons for Firing Comey

liquidtmd

Banned
Dear Mr Comey

I'm the Boss, I want you out and this is how my company works - you're fired

It has nothing to do with the Russia stuff.

Regards

Donny

Dollars to donuts the letter says "I'm firing you because I asked you to end this investigation and you wouldn't, you big dummy."

Garlador

President-Not-Illegal.gif

Soon.

Dear Jimmy

I asked if you were investigating me, you told me no so that's cool. I asked if you could bury the Flynn investigation, you said that's improper but whatever. I asked if you liked Obama more than me, you would not answer so I assume that means yes. Obama is a poopy head, you're fired.

Donald​

Fox News is going all-in on Comey right now. They are saying that he drafted the letter saying Clinton would not be prosecuted for her emails before the investigation took place.

Oh, to live in a world where news organizations (a term I use loosely, as do they) faced consequences for just making shit up.

sangreal

I imagine any leaks we are getting are being ok'd by Mueller.

Not a chance

Who knows where they are coming from anyway. This NY times article is completely silent on their source. It's not even attributed to an anonymous person.

It's also kind of confusing that they call it the clearest rational and then in the next sentence they say it's not clear what the letter says

Neoweee

I imagine any leaks we are getting are being ok'd by Mueller.

There's no indication that leaks are coming from Mueller's group. This could easily be backstabbing within the white house, or Trump's lawyers or PR people getting this out there under their own terms.

Omadahl

Banned
I'm sure it's a perfectly acceptable letter with many well-researched and coherent reasons as to why Comey was unfit for the job...

Or it's just says, "Fuck you! I could buy and sell you 100 times over when Russia builds my tower!"

RDreamer

I'm actually surprised how much info we've gotten recently. I would've expected these guys to manage a really tight ship when it comes to leaking.

I think the logical thing is probably to assume the leaks are coming from within the White House and/or people related to that side rather than with Mueller's team.

Xe4

Banned
Cool. I hope the press doesn't release the letter. Let Mueller do his job, and all that. Further press reports will just get in the way of the investigation.

Jisgsaw

It's also kind of confusing that they call it the clearest rational and then in the next sentence they say it's not clear what the letter says

Their source says the talk about this letter is it lays out the clearest rational for the firing. That doesn't mean the source know what that rational is (or if they know, that they told the NYT), only that those that have seen the letter say it is.

Plumbob

Cool. I hope the press doesn't release the letter. Let Mueller do his job, and all that. Further press reports will just get in the way of the investigation.

How exactly do you think the press found out about this?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fox News is going all-in on Comey right now. They are saying that he drafted the letter saying Clinton would not be prosecuted for her emails before the investigation took place.

Fox news has gone from being incredibly biased to flat out being state propaganda based mostly on lies. The hotel diner this morning had it on and the general message was that leftist protesters are terrorists while showing footage of Charlottesville where weeks ago a Nazi ran over and murdered someone. So fucking bad.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Drafted by Stephen "Our opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned." Miller, oh I want to see that so bad.

I was going to add a disclaimer to the quote I remembered that it was in the context of setting immigration rules, but finding the full quote makes it even worse than I remembered.

Yeah, I was gonna say that I can only imagine what kind of letter that dickbag typed up. I'm sure the media will get a copy of it at some point

jtb

Banned
Fox news has gone from being incredibly biased to flat out being state propaganda based mostly on lies. The hotel diner this morning had it on and the general message was that leftist protesters are terrorists while showing footage of Charlottesville where weeks ago a Nazi ran over and murdered someone. So fucking bad.

They've always been a de-facto arm of the Republican party. The only question has ever been: does the GOP set Fox's agenda, or does Fox set the GOP's agenda?

(These days, I think the latter is far more true than the former)

Strike

I'm actually surprised how much info we've gotten recently. I would've expected these guys to manage a really tight ship when it comes to leaking.
From what? These bumbling idiots could fuck up a cup of covfefe. Everything that's come from this administration screams amateur hour.

One of thier hosts admitted on twittter that they're talking about hillarys emails to deflect from russia and other negative trump stories. (Tomi lauren iirc).

Neoweee

It's likely Mueller's team confirmed this, if they weren't the source outright.

No evidence of this.

There's so many vectors of leaking, and we know where a whole bunch of leaks in the past came from, while having absolutely no indication of prior leaks.

Jumping to Mueller's team as the leaker here is completely unjustifiable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know how it would happen but I'd love to see Stephen Miller get popped for pretty much anything.

It must be Friday. But I can see why now they were pushing for that Obstruction. I mean it was clear from the interview he gave and the firing itself.

Because they are interacting with other bodies now. This leak likely comes from the WH, the IRS one from IRS people, and the NY AG's office. Mueller's ship is pretty tight.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
It's nice to have more evidence and all but Trump admitted he did it because of Russia on National Tv. What else do we need?

Emarv

To me it seems more likely the leaks are from sources from other teams that are now working with Mueller's group. There's been a lot more cooperation with other agencies lately who are more prone to leak than Mueller's team has been in the past.

rambis

Banned
No evidence of this.

There's so many vectors of leaking, and we know where a whole bunch of leaks in the past came from, while having absolutely no indication of prior leaks.

Jumping to Mueller's team as the leaker here is completely unjustifiable.

Not really? Both Mueller and Comey are old pro's at this. Leaking is a very wise strategy to keep the public informed and keep the story in the news cycle of a case that would otherwise progress completely silently and lose all public interest. Comey is confirmed to have had backchannels to the press. Im sure Mueller has them as well, what they are leaking is undetermined.

androvsky

Keep in mind it was drafted by Miller, who's one of the last high ranking nationalist fruitcakes in the White House. It could be a move by Kelly to push him out. With Bannon and Gorka gone, he's probably feeling a bit left out as it is.

kaskade

I really wonder how much time we have until Mueller gives his verdict. I’m sure for all we know, he knows 100x more.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I really wonder how much time we have until Mueller gives his verdict. I’m sure for all we know, he knows 100x more.

Long time but they are using resources from NY state and the FBI. NY State AG will be doing most of the the money chargers which is good. I think it will make it harder to pardon.

Plumbob

You have no idea if that's the case. What makes it so likely?

The White House isn't trusted as a sole source of any leak.

Congress is not likely the source of this leak because the story doesn't involve them.

That leaves Mueller's team. They know that the White House lacks messaging discipline and ends up misplaying their hand every time a major leak happens. Mueller's team, on the other hand, is the definition of discipline. If they don't want the public to know about a line of investigation, we won't find out.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Deep state tidying up all the loose ends before the deep state long weekend.

Draft

I was shook at the "top political aide" in the lead being Stephen Miller. It's still surprising and alarming such a gaggle of deplorable lunatics can be accurately described as Senior White House Staff.

Top Bottom